Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Maybe for vanilla, but not for the game. If you really want a lot of farming, just add the big farming mod and you are good to go.

Until I actually play a18, I can't really comment about the new system, but I'm eager to try it.

Same; I avoid too much about the rage mode thing, have to take a swing a few zombies to get the feel of it. I've been an avid sledgehammer guy, but maybe its time to switch back to my usual A16 ranged builds ha.

At least Madmole is taking the feedback in good strides and willing to consider alternatives (such as the planter plate, so its not raised above ground). Then, the only discernible difference would be not having to hoe up the ground (I've run a tiller before, so I know it's not "tilling" with a hoe), which, yes, was a chore. Maybe I won't miss it, I dunno.

Let's all get up in'er with A18 and give honest feedback then.

I get why games require a respawn mechanic but I kinda liked how you had the "near" the bedroll option in, to prevent a deathloop if you died AT your bedroll... it was always good enough, and back when we could choose which bedroll to spawn in (a9? a10?) it was nothing more than a teleporter.

Especially early game when death is meaningless, and ESPECIALLY on a server where being a higher level can actually be a detriment, this system is definitely going to be abused.

...and since you're going to ask, it's all about keeping the gamestages low... if I can have the benefits of higher level stuff (other people) while keeping my GS low (lowering my own dangers), I win. Adding in the ability to teleport by eating glass, is not good. I hope it's at least xml editable, and right now zero about the bedroll system is xml editable.

Nobody in their right mind will lose xp to teleport naked somewhere. Getting raided and you die and they are at your bedroll? Spawn me at my backup base please.

Correct, you don't have to! Which is why it's kind of boggling you for you to chose to insult Roland instead of ignoring him.

A bit of sarcasm and humour isn't an insult. Plus Roland can take it on the chin.

I know he means well, as do the devs, just the game and the playerbase are quite dynamic and although not everyone can be pleased with every change, I'd like to think I could offer some respite in the form of choice.

The game is a long way from done, so who knows what the devs have in store or can or cannot do regarding more personalised choice in our individual games through sliders or other options by the time the game goes gold.

And as Gareee said, there will be mods.

Going from a 980ti to a 2080 in a17 has seen marked improvement. I was concerned that it wouldn't justify the purchase, but at least on day to day playing, a good bump, and the 980ti did just fine.

No clue on horde nights yet though.

I'm upgrading from a 1070. It is right on the fence of being able to run 4K but there are too many instances where I drop down to low frame rates unless I crank down all the visual settings. At 1080p, it is plenty playable with almost everything cranked (and looks absolutely fantastic by the way. Nothing like watching the orange sunset and then the night sky shifts to deep blues/purples with sparkling stars with drifting clouds). I am playing on a 75" TV and it begs to be played at 4K cranked up. I assume the new video card will be up to the challenge.

Well, in case you're unaware, electric drawbridges and electric garage doors are being added in A18, as well as a few new lights. In addition, the lighting for electric lights has been redone. :D

Yep, saw that when MM shared pics and vids, but I can't remember was anything advanced mentioned at all or not. Also, thank you, and sorry for later reply as I can't catch up that quick, on mobile and this thread is on fire with posts. :-)

LOL. Got it! I am not a reliable source of details on electricity.

Loc

And apparently vault doors and hatches as well? Hey, we both learned something today!

Psst! Madmole! You can double click "E" very quickly to rapidly open/close vault doors, allowing you the player to slither in. It greatly helps when zombies are right behind your back. ;) This trick also works for garage doors.

Ooohhh you added babies? YES! I dont WANT to be sour MM, i really dont. You know how much I love this game or I wouldnt have spent two years of my life devoted to it in some form on a daily basis learning its ins and outs. We all do, or people like Guppy etc would not be here having this debate now.

Like i said i may be all wrong here and when i get my hands on it I will wonder what I was so miffed about. Its hard to discuss something we dont have, so of course reactions are based off of what we hear. All I can do is promise to be honest and give it a shot with an open mind when it releases and report back.

Yeah I gotta keep my mouth shut... but hey time has flown the last day :)

Let's all get up in'er with A18 and give honest feedback then.

I just hope someone gets the time to go through all the honest feedback. We always give vanilla a good playthrough, and by then there are always some great miss to put back in, or add new.

I recall bad company adding more zombies on screen then we could ever hope for, which was great fun.

I'm confused now, there is more zombies in A18 than A17? I thought the spawns were reduced.

The better tracking in my opinion would make them easier to kill for any one that thinks smarter and is not boldly power rushing. Oh look zombie I left you a trail right to me so I can easily kill you on my terms where I want to kill you at. I don't know just sayin

And as far as power leveling goes it actually made the game more difficult cause it skyrocketed gamestage and I've always avoided it. So to me slower progression should actually make the game easier not more difficult. Slower progression was also badly needed though.

I don't know again maybe it's just me but I think there SHOULD be constant biome spawns especially when trying to loot poi's it makes for those great "oh shyte" moments where you actually have to play well and think for a change. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and see but so far am not feeling very hopeful for the direction this game seems to be taking at the moment.

Kill them with what? Your club? Your "primitive bow"? You will get sandwiched in POIS, I promise you.

Archived