Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

He gave one to you didnt he? Thats more than enough abuse then he deserves even after the farming plot debacle

Disclaimer: The above post is meant to be sarcastic and in no way reflects the true feelings one has for the best moderator and overall lovable lug that our favorite math professor is

Nice avatar, but your trader Jen voice ruined the mood.

This isn't about teleporting, its about a user died and the only options are pretty crappy if your base is overrun. Near my bedroll is as bad as my overrun bedroll, but at my backup secret base? That sounds good to me.

Can I play it this weekend? That sounds good to me :p It looks great. I hope it's out soon. We are drooling with anticipation for this one!

Nice avatar, but your trader Jen voice ruined the mood.

Someone is extra funny today...

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't about teleporting, its about a user died and the only options are pretty crappy if your base is overrun. Near my bedroll is as bad as my overrun bedroll, but at my backup secret base? That sounds good to me.

Then push out the range for "near bedroll". You are in fact creating an in game teleport system.

But meh, I guess it's okay for people to play however they want. :-)

With how things are progressing from design decisions, do you think a charcoal filter will be added? As much as I'd love to see it, if the old farming was too complicated before and was removed...

-A

Coal is needed for the best mineral water in the game.

"EVERYONE BE QUIET! it's night and there is a wandering horde"

*mans wife in the background* "WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT A NEW ROLL ON WHEN YOU USED THE LAST OF THE TOILET PAPER"

And thats why we don't play with Dave anymore.

LOL my first day of Fallout 76 with open mic was some drunken guy with his wife yelling at him. Not sure what they were thinking there.

I could do a planter plate block easy.

But then the plant floats 1m above the plate?

You already have terrain that snaps to blocks, why not have it also change its density to -125 and call it a day.

That's something I've been thinking about. The density of a terrain block *below* such a planter would probably have to be pushed up.

The ones to the side remain static.

It was present in A17 sans breadcrumb system. Besides, they go to you directly not to a breadcrumb of where you were.

Can confirm this: it doesn't seem to matter how stealthy you are (I play stealth a LOT), once in any POI, it's like the heatmap is activated to draw in all nearby zombies, and any small movement is detected by them, not the sleepers. I find that they will lose track of me if I stop ALL movement in a corner somewhere out of view. The moment I peek out and sneak even a few blocks, they're mad again and trying to get to me. Add in a new breadcrumb system, and yeah, I could totally see where outdoor zombies would get overwhelming coming into POIs.

Who has time to compost? Nitrate is poo.

Just like crops grow in days, composting is abstracted down to the act of crafting the box.

We tried mixing steer manure in with the compost a few years. Honestly not worth the effort with the great composted mulch already there. Steer manure works wonders if you're amending poor soil but already rich soil doesn't need it.

I can do a plate planter in 15-20 minutes, we've been fighting that gap for 5-6 years now, so its not happening.

You would have to abandon the diamond terrain voxels and go to cube terrain voxels like you did briefly back in Alpha 8 or 9. The question is whether the gap is worse than boring square shaped caverns. I say no but maybe the pendulum has swung the other way on how important the underworld appears....

That's something I've been thinking about. The density of a terrain block *below* such a planter would probably have to be pushed up.

No one has played with densities more than Pille. He really would be an asset to any research you have on it... (Dude who created the latest prefab editor)

...I still don't understand the relationship between food, water, health and stamina, or why my bar never goes up despite the pills and bandages, food and drink... or why I have competing buffs... it's a huge cluster♥♥♥♥ and I hope it's solved for a18.

19 probably.

You would have to abandon the diamond terrain voxels and go to cube terrain voxels like you did briefly back in Alpha 8 or 9. The question is whether the gap is worse than boring square shaped caverns. I say no but maybe the pendulum has swung the other way on how important the underworld appears....

Untrue. Densities. Alloc hates them but prefabbers love them.

- - - Updated - - -

19 probably.

I'll take it.

Yikes, good point. Craftable dirt clods maybe...

Yeah but day 1 was too hard with all the changes you haven't seen. New players need a chance to learn the game and not get raped 500 times by cheap deaths, so we made some good changes.

Have y'all considered a little 512 by 512 starter world where players can slowly get introduced to these situations?

I'd be happy to make one in its entirety for you, if I had some assurance that you would stop nerfing the base game for newbies...

The planter plate first came up as Chiko's suggestion, many pages ago, and already back then Gazz mentioned that planted crops would float 1 meter above them. So yeah, probably not as easy as it sounds.

Personally, I always surrounded my farms with wooden plates just for aestethics.

My bigger concern is that my farm will shrink from six or seven 10x10 fields each with their own crop, down to.. maybe a tenth of that(?) depending on how much rotten flesh can be found. I hope the recipe will be balanced in the end, but hey that's what experimentals are for. :)

Archived