Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No plans yet, but I'd like to see use animations on stations, chairs at least. So maybe a trader is sitting in a chair or working on a workbench (like trader bob) when you come in to talk to him. Basically they would sandbox to random "usable" furniture pieces.

that would be cool. in Rust I used a pathing mod for NPCs that allowed them to walk/run and do various things. once a player would walk to a radius, the NPC would talk or let them interact OR in some case turn aggressive. lots of potential to build quest lines that way. I had one scenario with an NPC in jail when you got close he told you about a friend in town who could tell you about the location of his brothers and a treasure. once you found him he told you where to find the brothers and once you found them they would turn aggressive and into a battle. you killed them, took the loot and the brothers would reset every 15 min after death.

At least tell me you guys are still planning to add taming wolves, like you mentioned in the A17 concept art.

No plans for that. Maybe post gold. We're not adding anything that will look bad, add bugs or bring down the fps, and that one would do all of those things. With 64 players each one having a wolf pet, thats 128 entities right there, half of those would have to die or log off before a single zombie could be allowed to spawn, not to mention the server cpu would be smashed. Then they would need to look better going up and down stairs and be able to path with you, I can imagine 1000 base designs or POIs they can't follow you to. As I said maybe down the road, right now the game runs so poorly we need to focus on optimizations before we slow the game down with more heavy features.

We're doing bandits and the main story, adding content that takes little to no new code. You guys, we started in 2013. Its time to end early access.

that would be cool. in Rust I used a pathing mod for NPCs that allowed them to walk/run and do various things. once a player would walk to a radius, the NPC would talk or let them interact OR in some case turn aggressive. lots of potential to build quest lines that way. I had one scenario with an NPC in jail when you got close he told you about a friend in town who could tell you about the location of his brothers and a treasure. once you found him he told you where to find the brothers and once you found them they would turn aggressive and into a battle. you killed them, took the loot and the brothers would reset every 15 min after death.

I havent' played Rust in ages, but I heard they have scientists. What do their npcs do just attack on sight or are there any friendly ones?

No plans for that. Maybe post gold. We're not adding anything that will look bad, add bugs or bring down the fps, and that one would do all of those things. With 64 players each one having a wolf pet, thats 128 entities right there, half of those would have to die or log off before a single zombie could be allowed to spawn, not to mention the server cpu would be smashed. Then they would need to look better going up and down stairs and be able to path with you, I can imagine 1000 base designs or POIs they can't follow you to. As I said maybe down the road, right now the game runs so poorly we need to focus on optimizations before we slow the game down with more heavy features.

We're doing bandits and the main story, adding content that takes little to no new code. You guys, we started in 2013. Its time to end early access.

That's true. And hey, that's where mods come in. If we want something in the game that won't realistically fit in, then we can figure out a way to mod it in.

You guys, we started in 2013. Its time to end early access.

Word!

I am glad you guys concentrate on the important part that is now to cover KS and go gold. People seem to think that once the game goes gold it is game over, but in reality this game has potential to live a very long and prosperous life outside of Alpha and early access both through updates, DLC's and modding.

The best has yet to come...

I think people are confusing ore destruction with mining with my statement. When I find iron ore or a surface boulder I want to smash it and get the resources. Digging tunnels through stone and gravel is what I consider mining, you are looking for ore. That part is kind of relaxing. But when I find an iron ore I just want to smash it as fast as I can and fill my backpack with iron ore. Pounding on it forever is annoying, thus the one shot perk.

Maybe if a boulders breaks up in more pieces faster / larger pieces breaking off, it would be more exiting to hack on them.

Or simply groups of smaller boulders at the same spot. (same mining time and resource in sum)

Ability to mount Chainsaws/Augers to front of Motorcycle or 4x4. 1 on motorcycle, 3(?) on 4x4.

Drive up to tree/boulder, fire w L-mouse, resources go into player backpack.

Chainsaw would still cause melee damage to zeds.

Hopefully allow augers to be mounted low enough on 4x4 so you could dig large flat building pads.

Could be a lot of fun :)

Word!

I am glad you guys concentrate on the important part that is now to cover KS and go gold. People seem to think that once the game goes gold it is game over, but in reality this game has potential to live a very long and prosperous life outside of Alpha and early access both through updates, DLC's and modding.

The best has yet to come...

This.

I will be honest - I LOVE the digging/mining in 7 Days. I can't explain it. It's therapeutic and no game gets close to it. Digging down, building out a lmine, building in supports, ramps, finding resources. I can do it for hrs (and often do) while feverishly looking around thinking "did I hear something?!"

That said, I do like to get out and clear a POI, I love hordes, and the zombie survival/building is second to none. We're about to make 7 Days my longest played game on my play list, so I guess that's something, right?

*goes off to stare at a boulder*

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I've been meaning to say this: But - guys ... TFP ... the new POIs are a JOY. Everything about them is beautiful and I applaud you, truly. Their design, layout, attention to detail in the builds. Whoever did them, I want to buy him a few beers. An EXCEPTIONAL job and I never tire of investigating them.

Exactly this lol. 2 friends started looting/questing non-stop from the beginning and then there was me, mining, woodcutting, gathering, setting up base for HOURS. Love to design bases, setting up several mines for specific resources etc. That's the main part I still play this game.

Altough I also love a loot run from time to time.

Jeeps and gyrocopters.

I get that we can build a vehicle set, but cannot we get similar looking broken vehicle on street, like broken hog, or minibike or 4x4. they can be like other sedan, but for visual it is great to have those as broken/non-functional vehicles. Even the Bycycle.

I get that we can build a vehicle set, but cannot we get similar looking broken vehicle on street, like broken hog, or minibike or 4x4. they can be like other sedan, but for visual it is great to have those as broken/non-functional vehicles. Even the Bycycle.

Maybe the bicycle, the others feel so customized that old unusable versions of them laying around wouldn't feel that natural.

Maybe the bicycle, the others feel so customized that old unusable versions of them laying around wouldn't feel that natural.

Are sedans ever gonna get a use more than just essentially a container with car parts? Like the Jeep being off-road, but it doesn't give you much temperature protection, and the sedan being more on-road but has more temperature protection or something? I think maybe it would be nice to be able to fix them up rather than just scrap them.

i think people are confusing ore destruction with mining with my statement. When i find iron ore or a surface boulder i want to smash it and get the resources. Digging tunnels through stone and gravel is what i consider mining, you are looking for ore. That part is kind of relaxing. But when i find an iron ore i just want to smash it as fast as i can and fill my backpack with iron ore. Pounding on it forever is annoying, thus the one shot perk.

yassss!

Are sedans ever gonna get a use more than just essentially a container with car parts? Like the Jeep being off-road, but it doesn't give you much temperature protection, and the sedan being more on-road but has more temperature protection or something? I think maybe it would be nice to be able to fix them up rather than just scrap them.

Maybe, I'll see if we can apply an insulation buff when seated in the jeep

"Also, Alpha 18 waits for noone or no feature. If a feature isn't ready it gets disabled. I can't give a release date but I can assure you its in the first half of 2019."

We shall see i guess the last wait was loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong!

MadMole,

For A18 when the crafting quality is decoupled from Intellect and the ability to make different weapons will move to that weapon group's perk, will Yeah! Science still be used for crafting mods of all kinds?

Yes, but we're still looking at the big picture and moving stuff around so I can't guarantee it yet.

Archived