Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

New electric lighting shot

Looks great. Tho i have so many hours in the game I havent really tried electricity yet...or just the basics and from what I read is there much more for me to explore with that. Nice !

The problem is that you can't set animals per player but only per area. In a single player game you currently have too much meat but in a multiplayer game you may not have enough meat.

I really doubt that... so far we play with 4 to 8 people on our server and have plenty food around. Especially meat.

But perhaps u mean servers with 10 tot 100 people? That might be.

I like the idea that cooking food and preparing meat still can give u foodpoisoning cause it's realistic.

As for #wiregate

I'd say make them hidden unless your holding a wiretool. They serve no purpose, except pvp.

Now do I care about pvp? Hell no. Making decisions based on pvp gameplay makes kage very mad. Do I expect pvp players to care what I think? Of course not. Just making my argument based on my personal gameplay.

If they leave it alone im ok with it though, with one exception. If wires are adding to lag they 100% should be hidden, pvp or no pvp.

If lag is not an issue I say hide them anyway but of they dont, no biggy.

I really doubt that... so far we play with 4 to 8 people on our server and have plenty food around. Especially meat.

But perhaps u mean servers with 10 tot 100 people? That might be.

I only play singleplayer myself but I have read comments from players on multiplayer servers that there is a lack of meat. I also read that there are servers on which you have the possibility to spawn an animal via the command line.

I like the idea that cooking food and preparing meat still can give u foodpoisoning cause it's realistic.

That's only half the change that madmole mentioned. The canned food supposedly doesn't give you food poisoning anymore.

That's where I see the problem. You have to put points in the perks to be able to grow food and cook.

The cans, on the other hand, can be found on the first day.

Why should I invest points in Master Chef and Living of the Land if I can find the best food in the game on day 1 ?

I only play singleplayer myself but I have read comments from players on multiplayer servers that there is a lack of meat. I also read that there are servers on which you have the possibility to spawn an animal via the command line.

That's only half the change. The canned food supposedly doesn't give you food poisoning anymore.

That's where I see the problem. You have to put points in the perks to be able to grow food and cook.

Why should I invest points in Master Chef and Living of the Land if I can find the best food in the game on day 1 ?

Not to sound snide, but what would you rather carry around with you? 10 bacon and eggs, or 30 canned food? Just saying...

Not to sound snide, but what would you rather carry around with you? 10 bacon and eggs, or 30 canned food? Just saying...

It's not about what you would do in reality. It's about how the game mechanics fit together.

Let's say in A18 the canned food has no more disadvantages and the self made food has all the disadvantages. Would you still invest points in Master Chef or Living of the Land? Would you still hunt ?

It's not about what you would do in reality. It's about how the game mechanics fit together.

Let's say in A18 the canned food has no more disadvantages and the self made food has all the disadvantages. Would you still invest points in Master Chef or Living of the Land? Would you still hunt ?

Yes because cooked food fills you up much better than canned food.

Based on what Madmole said regarding food poisening and barfing, only real benefit I see canned for is 0% chance of food poisening.

So cooked food, atleast for me, will remain the prefered food type. I never really did mess with canned food. scrap um all for some good iron early game :)

EDIT: Maybe this is just me, but mid to late game i collect canned food and store it in my kitchen cabinets...not sure why i do this as it never serves me a purpose because i do not struggle with food mid or late game lol.

Yes because cooked for fills you up much better than canned food.

Based on what Madmole said regarding food poisening and barfing, only real benefit I see canned for is 0% chance of food poisening.

So cooked food, atleast for me, will remain the prefered food type. I never really did mess with canned food. scrap um all for some good iron early game.

Canned food = free empty cans. Free empty cans = eventual oil.

Canned food = free empty cans. Free empty cans = eventual oil.

wait what.....you can get oil from cans some how??? please do explain, I never knew about this.

EDIT: Yeah roleplaying. I jsut like looking in my cabinets and seeing every canned type of food. plus its a little mini game for me. can i collect every canned food type. RP makes a game better :)

You also store canned food in your kitchen cabinets? That makes two of us. Lol I do it for RP purposes though.

- - - Updated - - -

wait what.....you can get oil from cans some how??? please do explain, I never knew about this.

You... don't know? You can make oil with empty cans and oil shale in a chemistry station.

You also store canned food in your kitchen cabinets? That makes two of us. Lol I do it for RP purposes though.

- - - Updated - - -

You... don't know? You can make oil with empty cans and oil shale in a chemistry station.

Ohhhhh....naw I never really bothered with shale in A17 as I never really used vehicles due to bugs making them vanish. Plus shale provided waaaaaaay to much fuel and it felt like cheating. I like a challenge.

Thanks man.

Ohhhhh....naw I never really bothered with shale in A17 as I never really used vehicles due to bugs making them vanish. Plus shale provided waaaaaaay to much fuel and it felt like cheating. I like a challenge.

Thanks man.

You'll want to invest in oil shale in A18; gas is getting a nerf (and oil shale as well anyway). Also, vehicles don't tend to disappear on player-made blocks.

Every admin of the server can do that correct. So far we don't spawn animals or zombies. I don't play PVP, somethimes on Single player and now and then I check other servers or try a mod for our small group. Though there are barns/houses which have snakes and boars in it. Don't know for sure if they respawn but there are quests as well which sends u in those buildings.

That's only half the change that madmole mentioned. The canned food supposedly doesn't give you food poisoning anymore.

Perhaps canfood only give u a few points, while meat gives u more stamina and perhaps health? Dunno... have to wait and see what is going to change. We will adapt and (try to) survive :)

- - - Updated - - -

Where did the time go that u could do that and zombies just smelled ur bacon and eggs or grilled meat and came right for u :)

As for #wiregate

I'd say make them hidden unless your holding a wiretool. They serve no purpose, except pvp.

Now do I care about pvp? Hell no. Making decisions based on pvp gameplay makes kage very mad. Do I expect pvp players to care what I think? Of course not. Just making my argument based on my personal gameplay.

If they leave it alone im ok with it though, with one exception. If wires are adding to lag they 100% should be hidden, pvp or no pvp.

If lag is not an issue I say hide them anyway but of they dont, no biggy.

How they help in PVP ? to track the light source to know of automatic weapons ? I don't see it been useful in PVP .. maybe I am not envisioning it properly.

I am pretty sure you won't find enough can food for mid or late game. We currently get stock of it as we start cooking. It won't fill up, when you have 150 hit points etc.

And canned food do not improve max stamina now, and seems it won't in A18 too.

Also Chance on cooked food is going to be pretty low like 5% so you won't actually get hit by it every second time you eat it. But you have to make sure to have some backup food with you, when you eat cooked food.

i have eaten c-rations dated for vietnam ordeal.... when i was in the miltary 76-83 :) the only thing i dont play around with is dairy products and meat once opened... 3 days MAX in cold fridge.

That's when it was mostly canned foods, and just a few dehydrated things. (the pudding) pre-cooked bacon in a can, salted (really, really salted) butter from australia (you can imagine the nickname it got)..

Hershey bars that had crystallized .. those long plastic spoons though (for the pudding), fantastic catapults. Still have a few.

:D

To this day, I cannot eat canned corned beef hash. I think I got a bad can of that back in the 70s.

Currently I get rid of the canned stuff that doesn't have a recipe once I can cook enough things.

I've HAD food poisoning, I don't want or need it in a game.

(so yes, I'll mod that out of cooked stuff, or grab the perks asap. have to see)

I'd rather have the canned stuff still have a chance to poison you, but not what you make.

Incentive to hunt/farm things, rather than just get cans.

Oh, MM: have the airdrops been fixed to NOT be mostly tinned food?

Archived