Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm pretty certain that MM stated that this was intended or at least near impossible to fix, since those two types of blocks are more or less completely different.

But I would like an explanation as well... just so that I know if it will ever happen.

well ive been using the method someone posted on steam about using wood plates to cover it and it doesnt take damage.

honestly a better fix IMO then the proposed 4 long blocks to ramp up to a garage. just dig a 1 deep hold as big as your "garage" and use thos to connect. i said screw it even and just plastered a chunk of land in that stuff. Yes you can't place stuff on it but i now have a legit driveway i painted dark gray wet cement and it pwetty

We updated the buried supply quests. The tier 1's are around 300 meters away and drop a hero food item and some regular food, as well as a food recipe. I'm loving these early game. I think we tightened the radius some too so they aren't horrible to find. I don't think I've ever had mega crush or grandpa's anything before. This is much better.

So that means there'll higher tier buried supply quests!? Awesome! Yeah, mega crush is rare, I think I've only ever looted like 5 or 6 in total throughout my play-throughs.

Glad to see some of the new things on the cards. I'm always eager for the new features. I'm still in awe of how much this game has changed since my first time playing!

It says a lot when I'm getting choked up over seeing a bath in-game. Not just a glass cubicle that must obviously be a shower... it's an actual BATH! WHEE!

Thanks for the update MM. I'm resisting the urge to spout all the suggestions (and random thoughts) I want to see in-game, but these books look amazing and bring a loot-to-improve aspect to character creation and adds another level of currency for teamwork.

Better sharpen my arrows. Starting a new game in RWG to get my 7 days fix haha!

I'm pretty certain that MM stated that this was intended or at least near impossible to fix, since those two types of blocks are more or less completely different.

But I would like an explanation as well... just so that I know if it will ever happen.

I made a voxel engine in Unity that's nearly identical to 7DTD. Well, it's technically marching cubes, which the terrain blocks use in 7DTD. My method was to store both terrain and block voxels in a chunk with a flag indicating whether it's terrain or block. When generating the voxel mesh, the terrain blocks would generate treating any neighboring block voxels or non terrain voxels as "air". This allowed the marching cubes algorithm to do it's magic and make the voxels smooth appropriately, and mimic 7DTD's voxels 1:1.

Since my voxels were all stored in one chunk, if I wanted to have special behavior depending on terrain or blocks, it was a simple array lookup and bit comparison. So, I could just treat a neighboring block to to terrain as being a "full terrain block" and voila! The terrain will connect to it without any weird holes.

So, if 7DTD stores block voxels separate from terrain, it may be challenging to make the special case comparisons without breaking their optimizations. That is, if block voxels are generated in a separate pass from terrain.

TL;DR: If 7DTD's voxel chunk's are stored together, i.e. block and terrain, and generated in one pass, it should be quite simple to fix.

This sounds exciting! Especially the recipe part!

I know it was mentioned somewhere... but what exactly happens, when you already know a certain recipe?

Do you get xp or something similar?

Or is it just for selling at that point? (that would be kinda sad)

You can re-read it for xp, or sell it.

That's not how right angled triangles work.

Tan = Opposite/Adjacent

This means that for a slope of angle X, tan(X) = height of block/length of blocks

If the angle is 45°, then tan(X) = tan(45°) = 1 (you can check that on your calculator!)

Therefore with a 45° angle, the slope is 1 block high and 1 block long. That's obvious, but we're just confirming the maths.

However, for a 22.5° angle, tan(X) = tan(22.5°) = 0.4142

Therefore with a 22.5° angle, the slope is not half a block high for every block long; it is 0.4142 blocks high for every block long.

So a slope that is two blocks long to one block high cannot be at a 22.5° angle.

To find out what angle a slope two blocks long and one block high is, we have to solve:

tan(X) = 1/2

Therefore X = tan-1(0.5)

Plugging that into a calculator gives us: X = 26.565°

So a slope that is two blocks long to one block high is actually at an angle of 26.565°, not 22.5°.

(And by the same method, a four long one high slope is at an angle of tan-1(0.25) = 14.036°, not 11.25°)

@Roland - can you mark my homework for me, please?

Interesting. At any rate the ramp that is .25 meters high on the tall end solved it :)

So that means there'll higher tier buried supply quests!? Awesome! Yeah, mega crush is rare, I think I've only ever looted like 5 or 6 in total throughout my play-throughs.

Yes tier 2 drops weapons, schematics, armor, mods.

Another question.

You mentioned dyes were reworked to not be cartoonie, Are you able to show some examples?

Also, any more dyes? Would love to see like dye crafting/combining or maybe just more colors *drools*

Here you go:

If we can safely assume a 1 meter ramp is 45 degrees, we work down in halves from there. So the half ramp is 22.5 degrees and takes 2 meters to reach a full 1 meter of height. Cut in half again and its 11.25 degrees and takes 4 meters to reach 1 meter in height. Vertex positions on the incline on the 3 blocks are at 1.0, .5, .25.

So a 1/2 meter ramp is 90 degrees.. and 1/4 meter ramp is 180 degrees :)

I've got a question for Joel (hope it's not OT).

On Steam someone mentioned (again) the problem with "ninja zombies"... so I was thinking: will you add something in A18 to have zombies make some noise? (e.g.: dragging feet sounds, moans, and so on...)

I think that would be great and also, in some way, add to the "scare factor".

Imagine being in a POI and hearing a dragging feet sound from upstairs...

Would also solve the ninja zombies problem everyone has been complaining about since A16.

Thanks

I've got a question for Joel (hope it's not OT).

On Steam someone mentioned (again) the problem with "ninja zombies"... so I was thinking: will you add something in A18 to have zombies make some noise? (e.g.: dragging feet sounds, moans, and so on...)

I think that would be great and also, in some way, add to the "scare factor".

Imagine being in a POI and hearing a dragging feet sound from upstairs...

Would also solve the ninja zombies problem everyone has been complaining about since A16.

Thanks

+1

I would like a sound overhaul but it's not gonna happen :(

So when Roland shows up at my door, I know I will have to pay up.

Some say he wears green eye shade when does that, but all we know is, we have to pay our fees.

A18 is closer than appear.

- - - Updated - - -

If they overhaul sound somewhere down the road I will dance. :whoo:

Only if you allow us to choose the music ;)

Here you go:

Any new added dyes? i see the clothings and I THINK i saw a red comp ow you had, sorry for the badgering on this topic, but did you wash the colors out so they are not as vibrant or did you assign item quadrants/pieces to be dye only/ non dyeable?

Archived