Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You know there's a whole series of videos devoted to the equivalence of MM to AH? It's a tradition. :-)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?84672-Pre-Alpha-Release-Hitler-parody-videos&highlight=hitler

I... did not.

I think I read that somewhere... but I'm not sure and I definatly didn't remember :D

Well... I feel stupid now... :D

(don't! :D I know you! And I know what you want to say! :D)

well sorry mate... if that was intentional, I was unjustly condescending :D

If it wasn't intentional... seems like its allowed so my post was unnecessary :D

I smell a trap. You made that photo 5 hours before because Pille is your stooge and he engineered this situation. Maybe Roland is on your payroll too, but I doubt it. Nobody trusts Roland farther than a smiley.

If I can get someone to trust my smileys that is as far as I need.

@Devs

Has the idea of a recipe display been discussed? As an example you want to make a mini bike chassis; the way it is now is you have to search for the recipe, attempt to memorize what and how many of each ingredient you need to make it. It just results in you constantly opening and closing the craft menu multiple time to keep looking at the ingredient list for an item.

The Idea would be to find the Item you wish to craft then (can be a macro) Shift Right Click on the craft option to have the recipe for said Item now appear in the right upper corner of your hud. Where the quest box is. If you wanted to go extra you could add the ability to shift click multiple times so you get to see what it would take to craft multiples of the Item. Like 6 bellows or something.

For decades, Civilization's Civilopedia has had a great system for this, just by using hyperlinks. Imagine you're on the crafting page for the forge. You click on the bellows listed in the ingredients list, and it jumps to the crafting page for the bellows. Add a back button, and you're golden.

Ramp consisting of 1 block has 45

Ramps consisting of 2 blocks have 22.5 (aka half of 1 block)

Sounds like someone needs a trigonometry refresher...

Ramp consisting of 2 blocks: 2 blocks adjacent (ground), 1 block opposite (height) -> tan(a) = 1/2 -> a = atan(0.5)

so a = about 26.6 degrees

No need to take Pille's word for it. :)

EDIT: Apparently I missed a few pages about this... oh well.

You couldn't spec deep early game before. If your not 1-2 shotting most weak sauce zeds by level 20 now you didn't spend your points wisely. There are much less zeds in POIs too, so I think it balances out right. I don't go asking for features willy nilly, it was a snooze fest without the speed boost with no level gates. Overall it feels so much more realistic too, zombies in dead rising kind of lunged when you got close, this was a way of doing something similar that helps them never really walk the same anim in sync like before.

The zombies lunging, sounds like Resident Evil.

lol. I'm getting good at creating chaos on this forum. Last night I posted something on math and it snowballed into a real mess. Roland must have loved it (he's a math teacher) because not also did he remove that post but others that had nothing to do with it. lol.

He even kicked a post that Madmole posted. Gee, I never thought that I could get a developer in trouble. *Pats self on the back.

YES!

Here is were the post went to if you guys want a laugh. ;)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?121903-Game-Development-101-(and-other-arguments)&p=996292#post996292

WARNING: May make you laugh really hard.

Just wanted to get in on this. If the ramp takes four meters to rise one meter (aka four pieces) then it is a 14 degree incline.

For it to be 11.25 degrees it would need to only rise about 0.8 meters. Is that the case that it wonآ’t rise a full meter?

Of courseآ— if it works it works whatever the degree measure is.

So, a 11.25 degree increase in horizontal direction per one or two meters vertical...

There is some interesting stunts one could try. If you go fast enough, how steep an angle could you eventually go up and could a zombie follow you? Or how large a gap could you safely navigate?

Oh so you've sold over 8 million copies and made your own IP? Please tell me what game it is so I can enjoy it in my downtime.

I get so tired of back seat developers telling us how easy our job is. Go make your own game that is actually fun if its so easy. Everything is easier in a static world. Add voxels to it and use Unity and tell me how easy it is. Code it on top of 7 years of other peoples code. Maybe how you see it implemented (a box floating with basic nav) is easy. That version isn't good enough for us.

Here is the thing. If you put game play in the water (we don't) then you have to add all the supportive features like fish, underwater loot, swimming animations, enter the boat anims, and if you can't smell the scope creep by now you are not as smart as you pretend to be. I could go on with another 50 tasks.

Being a programmer doesn't make you a designer. A good designer sees all the tasks before writing any code. Stop being so arrogant. Shawn could code the boat in a day, but then all the feature creep, the "boats need a threat" requests, polish tickets and bugs and unforeseen changes after water 3.0 is implemented break it, would amount to a massive amount of work that takes away from bandits and until water is final we're not touching boats.

Its like you forget you're talking to your supporters and fans.. This is why I don't really post on this forum. The people who have kept your game alive at times get treated very poorly. Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this game, but I am real surprised at your comments lately. I'm sorry you think it's not cool to show a little respect to the people who have supported you, regardless of how right or wrong they may be. But this one is a whole new level. Thanks for the hard work you've done to transform this game, and all the info you have shared that you never had to. Back to lurking to avoid all of this though.. ^.

Its like you forget you're talking to your supporters and fans.. This is why I don't really post on this forum. The people who have kept your game alive at times get treated very poorly. Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this game, but I am real surprised at your comments lately. I'm sorry you think it's not cool to show a little respect to the people who have supported you, regardless of how right or wrong they may be. But this one is a whole new level. Thanks for the hard work you've done to transform this game, and all the info you have shared that you never had to. Back to lurking to avoid all of this though.. ^.

Sometimes people have a bad day and sometimes tempers flare. This all happened five days ago and afterwards things got back to normal and there has been dozens and dozens of posts by Madmole since then that have been what you would call appropriate.

As you lurk and read, if you are that many days behind please catch up first before deciding to dredge up stuff that already resolved itself. There really is no reason to open it up again and get people going on this again. This was over last week and now you are bringing it up again this week and all because you are behind in your reading.

We get close and personal with Joel Huenink here in the dev diary. He doesn't employ a press agent to give manicured statements. He treats this as though we are all sitting on his back porch discussing the game together and as a gamer and normal guy he isn't always going to be politically correct and show perfect customer service. He likes to talk smack and gamer trash talk. He likes to talk about nutrition, body building, and MMA.... None of that really counts as off topic when he brings it up because...this is HIS dev diary.

You take the good, you take the bad, you take it all and there you have the facts of life.

The net result is a pretty awesome thread as long as nobody gets too offended by text and is willing to forgive a bit of ego here or a bad irl day there. I don't think what you wrote is wrong but if Madmole or myself or any of the other staff puts a wrong foot forward in the future and you are going to call us on it please don't wait until after the whole thing resolves and the thread is back to normal again.

Sort of off topic.....when minibikes were first released I built a 360 degree loop of wood frames hoping that with a purple engine that I could do a complete loop. Unfortunately it was an epic fail. I barely went above horizontal. Would be nice to do tricks. :upset:

Sort of off topic.....when minibikes were first released I built a 360 degree loop of wood frames hoping that with a purple engine that I could do a complete loop. Unfortunately it was an epic fail. I barely went above horizontal. Would be nice to do tricks. :upset:

I think there is a slowing effect when going uphill that can be changed in the xml that would make it possible to do what you want. It might make the vehicle always feel a little floaty though...

Sorry I cant do it, I cant perform under pressure. It goes limp.

Stage fright is perfectly normal! Just pretend everyone is naked! That's what I'm doing in the office anyway..

- - - Updated - - -

Did you hear about all the fish that got struck by lightning in Navezgane national park. They said it was an act of Cod.

..... applause?

The crickets thought it was pretty funny!

Stage fright is perfectly normal! Just pretend everyone is naked! That's what I'm doing in the office anyway..

I don't know what is worse--that you personify rocks or that you then pretend they are naked personifications.

Last night I posted something on math and it snowballed into a real mess.

You’re taking credit for Odetta’s math problem post of which you were one of several commenters? Quoting isn’t the same as posting...

Nobody got in trouble. Just needed to clean things up for the folks who are a few days behind on catchup.

guys don't take this the wrong way but I hope you guys can release the game into beta and a final product soon and release some dlc so then you can earn a little bit of profit because then you can stay in business all this new free content is great and all but you aren't really making money off of it

also if you guys are on @roland or mm there is a bug where if you fall a certain distance you will recover some health you may wanna fix that it can range from a little to a lot of health regain i'd say it happens at like 8 blocks up to 13 blocks up hopefully this helps sort the issue

guys don't take this the wrong way but I hope you guys can release the game into beta and a final product soon and release some dlc so then you can earn a little bit of profit because then you can stay in business all this new free content is great and all but you aren't really making money off of it

You can not release a game just for the sake of it if its not finished yet

You can not release a game just for the sake of it if its not finished yet

I think he's just concerned they are making no money on all these updates they release.

But he prob doesn't realise that new people will still be buying the game and also tfp will have an accountant and have already accounted for x amount of years they can sustain the updates with the money made on kickstarter and from sales made over the years.

I think he's just concerned they are making no money on all these updates they release.

But he prob doesn't realise that new people will still be buying the game and also tfp will have an accountant and have already accounted for x amount of years they can sustain the updates with the money made on kickstarter and from sales made over the years.

Yep. Plus that poster probably didn't take into account the 'protection money' I have to pay to TFP in order for my rock collection to remain safe.

Accidents can happen, you know..

So when Roland shows up at my door, I know I will have to pay up.

Archived