Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

There are T2 / T3 crossbows. A primitive crossbow would be called... a bow.

So a T4 crossbow would be called... a Pistol with silencer. "Pew Pew!" Wait! Thats not right: "Pew Pew!" Ok then.

What's a T5 crossbow? a Terminator with a Pistol? I'm here to help! :)

There are T2 / T3 crossbows. A primitive crossbow would be called... a bow.

A crossbow without the cross isn't a crossbow. A crossbow without the bow is a stick. :-)

Why not have some sort of repeating crossbow as tier 3? It's about the only technological advancement available for the weapon other than materials, size and sights.

A huge, slow loading, crossbow would also be an idea. A heavy weapon version of the standard idea.

- - - Updated - - -

So a T4 crossbow would be called... a Pistol with silencer. "Pew Pew!" Wait! Thats not right: "Pew Pew!" Ok then.

What's a T5 crossbow? a Terminator with a Pistol? I'm here to help! :)

"Detritus's weapon of choice is a crossbow called the Piecemaker which he modified himself. It was originally a 2000-lb-draw siege crossbow firing a large iron rod. It is now a crossbow that fires a large bundle of ordinary wooden arrows at a significant fraction of local light speed. Generally anything it is fired at is disintegrated, along with anything else behind it, and finds good use in opening up an entrance to a building, as well as an exit, with the same shot."

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Detritus

Madmole, I don't understand how can you be so chill when butthurts complain about you improving textures instead of fixing bugs and everything, when you said 100 times that it's your job to do that and that there are other people fixing bugs.

BTW, nice to hear the compound crossbow is coming in A18, I thought it will come way way later. Can't wait to see the model and animations. Daryl Dixon FTW!

Ideally we want 3 tiers of all weapons, so Ak, assault rifle, m60.

How would that work with pistols?

3 semi autos and 3 revolvers?

Pistols really do need some love as its pointless to have them once you have AK or sniper.

Edit: Pistols have the SMG now, so it can somewhat compete with the Ak, and ammo is dirt cheap. 44 blows holes through stuff, so yeah it depends on play style tbh. Pistols can work in the shadows well too.

We've put more into balance in this build than probably 10 builds combined. Oh you can spec early? Had to slow leveling dramatically for that to make sense. It was a great move though. I gain about 1 level a day so perks are eagerly spent and you have time to relish each age a bit (stone, iron, steel).

I'm not super thrilled about slow leveling. But there is 2 upsides to it.

1 I can raise the exp %

2 lower gamestage for longer means you dont need as many levels. Now that's balance people!

Pistols really do need some love as its pointless to have them once you have AK or sniper.

Pistol, SMG and 44 are the three tiers for pistols I believe.

Maybe giving the pistol some sort of bonus at very short range? It would then make the pistol a better weapon for room clearance than the assault rifle.

Maybe giving the pistol some sort of bonus at very short range? It would then make the pistol a better weapon for room clearance than the assault rifle.

I wouldn't go anywhere without my 9. Nicely modded out it's fine for like 80% of threats and ammos is so cheap (mostly free in loot).

Using the AK or Marksmen or 44 on vanilla nurses is such a waste IMO. Of course I do keep one of those handy for the other 20% :)

Jeez man could u stop adding stuff and just release! (not asking for a release date)

Literally everyone is waiting in anticipation.

It will eventually fade out and ppl will stop caring. (as my friends have, sadly)

Bypassing a release date estimation and afterwards completely disregard the need and existance of it is a big deal for a player community. (you know, those overwhelming majority that come here to read and don't participate in the discussion)

There is more than enough stuff for an update (unless this is planned to leave alpha (at long ♥♥♥♥ing last)).

Sorry for the impoliteness

Oh dayum! I must have missed that one. The sidewalks make a HUGE difference on the look/feeling of the streets!

Looking forward to this on its own ����

Sidewalks!

...wait, were those always in the game? ��

Sidewalks are new! First showed back in May:

Your wrong. Sidewalks have been in the game at least as far back as Alpha 9.3

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DsIRrweUKp0/maxresdefault.jpg

But they do seem to stand out more in Alpha 18.

These are new sidewalks, we used to paint them on terrain but due to shader issues with the new splat map shader we decided to make 3d ones to free up texture space on the splat map for more important stuff, plus they look nicer.

Thanks. They do look much better.

Jeez man could u stop adding stuff and just release! (not asking for a release date)

Literally everyone is waiting in anticipation.

It will eventually fade out and ppl will stop caring. (as my friends have, sadly)

Bypassing a release date estimation and afterwards completely disregard the need and existance of it is a big deal for a player community. (you know, those overwhelming majority that come here to read and don't participate in the discussion)

There is more than enough stuff for an update (unless this is planned to leave alpha (at long ♥♥♥♥ing last)).

Sorry for the impoliteness

Ok, so let's assume that you're referring to the cosmetic additions (dye toning, asphalt texture, etc.)

You have to understand that these things are not holding up the release of A18, these are things being worked on by the artists while the programmers are still finishing their work. Now the game definitely shouldn't be released until the coding has been finished otherwise it'll be full of bugs and, even worse, features that are not ready.

So with that in mind do you really think the artists should down tools and put their feet up while the rest of the team carries on working?

No, a T4 crossbow is something like this:

nadaf-appalal-01.jpg?1538068993

:)

This is gorgeous piece of ..it is art. Indeed, would be cool to have a high tier crossbow with lets say 10 preloaded arrows. But new models, stuff, balance.. we already have what we need, gotta learn use it properly in the new balanced world.

Can`t wait. *distant wolf barking sound*

Alpha 18 looks really promising!

Has there been any thougths on having a togglebutton/checkbox in the different crafting UI's to switch between

Show all recipies (like now) and Show only this workstations recipies (like earlier Alphas) ?

I feel that I don't generally need to see every possible recipie but only the ones I can craft in the particular crafting station, while occasionally it's nice to checkup if a recipie is known or what it needs for ingredients.

/Holo

Ok, so let's assume that you're referring to the cosmetic additions (dye toning, asphalt texture, etc.)

You have to understand that these things are not holding up the release of A18, these are things being worked on by the artists while the programmers are still finishing their work. Now the game definitely shouldn't be released until the coding has been finished otherwise it'll be full of bugs and, even worse, features that are not ready.

So with that in mind do you really think the artists should down tools and put their feet up while the rest of the team carries on working?

Don't bother to reply to them...really, Madmole said that too many times but people just don't get it. No matter how many times you tell them, they think the same and just don't get it....

Archived