Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You couldn't spec deep early game before. If your not 1-2 shotting most weak sauce zeds by level 20 now you didn't spend your points wisely. There are much less zeds in POIs too, so I think it balances out right. I don't go asking for features willy nilly, it was a snooze fest without the speed boost with no level gates. Overall it feels so much more realistic too, zombies in dead rising kind of lunged when you got close, this was a way of doing something similar that helps them never really walk the same anim in sync like before.

I figured you would balance it out with that rage mode. I was just pointing out rage mode in a17 would have upset the great balance. I'm super hyped for this feature in a18 though.

guys don't take this the wrong way but I hope you guys can release the game into beta and a final product soon and release some dlc so then you can earn a little bit of profit because then you can stay in business all this new free content is great and all but you aren't really making money off of it

According to MM they have sold like 8 million copies. I think they are fine.

Full released games die. With AE every update is like Christmas and I'd bet they sell alot more copies. I dont think DLC has the same effect.

I have no numbers or anything to back this up. Just a feeling.

Yep. Plus that poster probably didn't take into account the 'protection money' I have to pay to TFP in order for my rock collection to remain safe.

Accidents can happen, you know..

So when Roland shows up at my door, I know I will have to pay up.

Now I'm picturing Roland showing up to teach a lesson in division.

Just wanted to get in on this. If the ramp takes four meters to rise one meter (aka four pieces) then it is a 14 degree incline.

For it to be 11.25 degrees it would need to only rise about 0.8 meters. Is that the case that it won’t rise a full meter?

Of course— if it works it works whatever the degree measure is.

If we can safely assume a 1 meter ramp is 45 degrees, we work down in halves from there. So the half ramp is 22.5 degrees and takes 2 meters to reach a full 1 meter of height. Cut in half again and its 11.25 degrees and takes 4 meters to reach 1 meter in height. Vertex positions on the incline on the 3 blocks are at 1.0, .5, .25.

If a relatively simple thing as a bridge will not be included into the game due to performances issues (.. really?), I fear for late game content which might or might not be included post-A17.

It was too busy for a long bridge and a waste of polygons. Its a good practice to be conservative not lavish, and its typically never one thing that kills performance but 5000 little things that "could have been optimized" but weren't.

I get what you’re saying, but for me seeing all the roads lead right up to the water’s edge and stop ruins that beauty you’re trying to achieve. It looks broken, like roads that run straight into cliff faces.

In the interest of getting a “very pretty” baseline, perhaps the generator could stop trying to construct roads that would cross water, the way it has (finally) stopped trying to construct them on top of steep mountain slopes. Or even if the road dead-ended 10 blocks before it hit water, that would look a lot less alien, a lot more like something humans would actually build, without requiring any more polygons.

Why can't you just pretend the apocalypse collapsed the bridge and drop it? Its not like I said never, its icing on the cake we need more time to make the cake.

@Devs

Has the idea of a recipe display been discussed? As an example you want to make a mini bike chassis; the way it is now is you have to search for the recipe, attempt to memorize what and how many of each ingredient you need to make it. It just results in you constantly opening and closing the craft menu multiple time to keep looking at the ingredient list for an item.

The Idea would be to find the Item you wish to craft then (can be a macro) Shift Right Click on the craft option to have the recipe for said Item now appear in the right upper corner of your hud. Where the quest box is. If you wanted to go extra you could add the ability to shift click multiple times so you get to see what it would take to craft multiples of the Item. Like 6 bellows or something.

Quest crafting is now at the top. We have hyper linking for perks, I don't see why we couldn't look up a recipe, click an ingredient and have the ingredient the now active recipe you are working on. You can favorite a recipe for easy reference.

also if you guys are on @roland or mm there is a bug where if you fall a certain distance you will recover some health you may wanna fix that it can range from a little to a lot of health regain i'd say it happens at like 8 blocks up to 13 blocks up hopefully this helps sort the issue

I think we fixed that, I was miraculously and mysteriously gaining health a while back and it seems to have disappeared.

I figured you would balance it out with that rage mode. I was just pointing out rage mode in a17 would have upset the great balance. I'm super hyped for this feature in a18 though.

We've put more into balance in this build than probably 10 builds combined. Oh you can spec early? Had to slow leveling dramatically for that to make sense. It was a great move though. I gain about 1 level a day so perks are eagerly spent and you have time to relish each age a bit (stone, iron, steel).

According to MM they have sold like 8 million copies. I think they are fine.

Full released games die. With AE every update is like Christmas and I'd bet they sell alot more copies. I dont think DLC has the same effect.

I have no numbers or anything to back this up. Just a feeling.

It is true, each update revitalizes sales and stimulates player counts. I don't know about DLC's I imagine they sell pretty well though. They would typically be no more work than a decent update and in some cases much less.

We updated the buried supply quests. The tier 1's are around 300 meters away and drop a hero food item and some regular food, as well as a food recipe. I'm loving these early game. I think we tightened the radius some too so they aren't horrible to find. I don't think I've ever had mega crush or grandpa's anything before. This is much better.

If we can safely assume a 1 meter ramp is 45 degrees, we work down in halves from there. So the half ramp is 22.5 degrees and takes 2 meters to reach a full 1 meter of height. Cut in half again and its 11.25 degrees and takes 4 meters to reach 1 meter in height. Vertex positions on the incline on the 3 blocks are at 1.0, .5, .25.

That's not how right angled triangles work.

Tan = Opposite/Adjacent

This means that for a slope of angle X, tan(X) = height of block/length of blocks

If the angle is 45°, then tan(X) = tan(45°) = 1 (you can check that on your calculator!)

Therefore with a 45° angle, the slope is 1 block high and 1 block long. That's obvious, but we're just confirming the maths.

However, for a 22.5° angle, tan(X) = tan(22.5°) = 0.4142

Therefore with a 22.5° angle, the slope is not half a block high for every block long; it is 0.4142 blocks high for every block long.

So a slope that is two blocks long to one block high cannot be at a 22.5° angle.

To find out what angle a slope two blocks long and one block high is, we have to solve:

tan(X) = 1/2

Therefore X = tan-1(0.5)

Plugging that into a calculator gives us: X = 26.565°

So a slope that is two blocks long to one block high is actually at an angle of 26.565°, not 22.5°.

(And by the same method, a four long one high slope is at an angle of tan-1(0.25) = 14.036°, not 11.25°)

@Roland - can you mark my homework for me, please?

We updated the buried supply quests. The tier 1's are around 300 meters away and drop a hero food item and some regular food, as well as a food recipe. I'm loving these early game. I think we tightened the radius some too so they aren't horrible to find. I don't think I've ever had mega crush or grandpa's anything before. This is much better.

This sounds exciting! Especially the recipe part!

I know it was mentioned somewhere... but what exactly happens, when you already know a certain recipe?

Do you get xp or something similar?

Or is it just for selling at that point? (that would be kinda sad)

Amazing. My whole family ask every day "When is A18 coming out?!" My brother, my cousins, my wife, my brother's girlfriend and 10+ friends are absolute mad to play!

You guys are like drugdealers and we are your crackheads.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but in A18 @MM, did you guys fix the horrendous gap in terrain/block combo (Laying flush with blocks next to it)?

I could LITERALLY just have this fix with the new perks and be happy with A18

I'm pretty certain that MM stated that this was intended or at least near impossible to fix, since those two types of blocks are more or less completely different.

But I would like an explanation as well... just so that I know if it will ever happen.

Archived