Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Gravel is gone from mining, and the spots. It looked ugly and didn't work with the new splat map system. Just sample the dirt (look for boulders in the first place) and it should show the predominant ore. Once you get through the dirt you will only need a pickaxe. I didn't like switching constantly between pick and shovel.

The boulders are the marker? Don't those disappear quite quickly on multiplayer servers?

With this logic, you can remove everything.

What are you going to leave in the game if there is nothing to do?

What? what are you going to do?

....you don't want it.... you're not interested....a lot of biomes you don't need.....the cave to make - incapable.....

What?

to come up with new perks?

What will you remove next?

What do you like?

there were so many interesting things in the Beginning....

did you become a different person after the game of rust?

you can ban me...

PS: ...i don't care about gravel - i don't mean that.

Its clear you are of the line of thinking that more is better no matter how crappy the design is. All noob designers think this way, most modders do too. There will still be dirt to shovel, but switching tools constantly while mining is just not entertaining. And you might actually play it before judging it, all you do is complain without even trying it. If it sucks, I'll be the first to admit it and change it. Try to have a more open mind instead of thinking you know it all. We try a lot of stuff, some changes are amazing, others not so much so we refine them and iterate until we think we've landed on the best solution.

Thank you for leaving FOV command, and I'm very exited with the upcoming random stats for A18.

But I'm gonna miss gravel. It added some variety to mining. Switching tools, awaiting collapse, adding supports. Now I'm afraid it is gonna be mindless pickaxing all the way.

I enjoyed the ♥♥♥♥ out of minecraft with just a pickaxe. We can still put loose stone in there and cause cave ins.

Is pocket mining gone then?

I usually dig to depth ~14 (because that was the transition point from iron to specific ore) and then basically strip mine until I hit gravel. Is there any indication that you are near an ore deposit now?

Yes dirt and stone will produce ore when mined close to a node. So if your digging stone and suddenly you see you are getting iron fragments, that means you are close to an iron deposit.

The mining Helmet should be replaced by a "headlamp" slot, (or using a headlamp in the glasses socket)

Else everyone and their dog are just using mining helmets, and the other hats are devalued. Looks like a Bob-The-Builder YMCA Club.

Its clear you are of the line of thinking that more is better no matter how crappy the design is. All noob designers think this way, most modders do too. There will still be dirt to shovel, but switching tools constantly while mining is just not entertaining. And you might actually play it before judging it, all you do is complain without even trying it. If it sucks, I'll be the first to admit it and change it. Try to have a more open mind instead of thinking you know it all. We try a lot of stuff, some changes are amazing, others not so much so we refine them and iterate until we think we've landed on the best solution.

Removing gravel is a good move, it never really fit in with the rest and always felt weird having to use a shovel when mining. I do hope instead you will add some terrStone block that has about the similar capacity of holding blocks as the gravel had. So it can still collapse on you but without any kind of warning, meaning you will always need to take measures when mining to secure your tunnels. A simple thing to make it more dangerous.

Removing gravel is a good move, it never really fit in with the rest and always felt weird having to use a shovel when mining. I do hope instead you will add some terrStone block that has about the similar capacity of holding blocks as the gravel had. So it can still collapse on you but without any kind of warning, meaning you will always need to take measures when mining to secure your tunnels. A simple thing to make it more dangerous.

It’s also nice to hit a pocket of one or two hit material that lets you carve out a space quickly. That feels rewarding and not having to switch to the shovel to do it would be bonus.

It’s also nice to hit a pocket of one or two hit material that lets you carve out a space quickly. That feels rewarding and not having to switch to the shovel to do it would be bonus.

Replacing gravel with destroyed stone would pretty much do that.

The mining Helmet should be replaced by a "headlamp" slot, (or using a headlamp in the glasses socket)

Else everyone and their dog are just using mining helmets, and the other hats are devalued. Looks like a Bob-The-Builder YMCA Club.

I think it's because the mining helmet is Bis. It is way better than every other helmet in the game. High armor with little stamina penalty and doesn't take up a mod slot with a light

Gravel is gone from mining, and the spots. It looked ugly and didn't work with the new splat map system. Just sample the dirt (look for boulders in the first place) and it should show the predominant ore. Once you get through the dirt you will only need a pickaxe. I didn't like switching constantly between pick and shovel.

Well, I must admit that I have loved the sound of every change coming for A18... until this one. The mini-game of finding the gravel and clearing large pockets of weak material to reveal ore veins was quite rewarding.

Can't say that I understand the need for this change. Mining was already easy and immersive. This just feels much less so.

Zombies were breaking out of 2 story windows and ragdolling when they hit the ground and I LOD'd every time. I have a ♥♥♥♥ eating grin from ear to ear. I think this build is going to solve 95% of the complaints.

That mean they fall rag doll style from top of buildings now ? --- something I been wanting to see for a long time.

Kind of WarZ body carnage ....

Will the land mines ever be removed from the wasteland biome? I don't mind if it has stronger zombies and tough bandits when they are out for alpha 18 but the landmines really seem to ruin that area. Basically get rid of the land mines and exchange them for more dogs, vultures, radiated zombies and geared up bandits. Also I won't mind if bandit bases had landmines around then like the military bases and outposts have them. It's just an entire biome with random mines placed around makes me stay out of it.

Will the land mines ever be removed from the wasteland biome? I don't mind if it has stronger zombies and tough bandits when they are out for alpha 18 but the landmines really seem to ruin that area. Basically get rid of the land mines and exchange them for more dogs, vultures, radiated zombies and geared up bandits. Also I won't mind if bandit bases had landmines around then like the military bases and outposts have them. It's just an entire biome with random mines placed around makes me stay out of it.

I can see them removing them when bandits are in. I mean imagine bandits walking into landmines 24/7, but who knows at this point.

Regarding biomes/sub-biomes...

Can we have the tan colored sandy deserts back?? It's not that I dislike the orange rocky floor desert... I like it too. It's just that, well - why can't we have both??

Like the tan sand is the main biome look, and sub-biomes within it could have orange rocky formations and area. In real life, there are both kinds of desert. In Arizona, there is both I believe... but mostly it's the tan kind right?? The orange type is more like Ship Rock and those plateaus by Four corners area, and Grand Canyon. But, like Nevada, California, etc... its the yellow/tan kind.

I like them both - would be cool if you could implement both combined somehow.

Sample the dirt with your stone axe.

I'm not a huge fan of gating but... I think knowing where ores are located should be earned. Bringing soil samples to the chemistry station for testing would be cool. I don't know exactly how that would work though. Perhaps you take a sample and it's given a number that shows in inventory ("SAMPLE 1") and also makes a marker on the map for you with the same label. If it's not a vanilla-worthy idea, perhaps it's a good mod idea... so throwing it out there.

I think it's because the mining helmet is Bis. It is way better than every other helmet in the game. High armor with little stamina penalty and doesn't take up a mod slot with a light

I keep seeing complaints about the mining helmet. I think it is painfully obvious that the mining helmet is more of a placeholder than a well designed item. It comes from a time before mods so the fact it does not fit in with the current system is pretty much a given. The mining helmet will not be what it currently is by gold IMHO. It is just an annoying legacy item in the same way that some of the recipe books still make an odd appearance or 2.

I'm not a huge fan of gating but... I think knowing where ores are located should be earned. Bringing soil samples to the chemistry station for testing would be cool. I don't know exactly how that would work though. Perhaps you take a sample and it's given a number that shows in inventory ("SAMPLE 1") and also makes a marker on the map for you with the same label. If it's not a vanilla-worthy idea, perhaps it's a good mod idea... so throwing it out there.

Ore detector - build and it beeps when over an ore deposit....

Possibly. Maybe when we get the special blood moon zombies they can be sturdier than the normies. The issue is people making trenches and zombies dying or turning them all into crawlers which makes the horde night a joke. So if we could do it to normal zeds it would be funny and cool, and it wouldn't matter so much if the horde zeds were more immune to things like that.

If people take the time to dig the trenches and lay the traps, I think they should be rewarded for their efforts. They aren't making a joke out of horde night. Personally, I'm happy to kite z's around or shoot them from atop a building, but my husband likes to build intricate zombie horde night buildings. He puts in more effort than me to prepare for horde night, and so should have to do less legwork on horde night itself.

There was a 50+ page forum post where someone quite eloquently raised the issue of what appears to be TFP nerfing all but one horde night strategy. This takes away from the fun sandbox element of the game and seems to push a 'correct' way to handle horde nights. It's worth a read if you haven't done so already.

Personally, I'd prefer horde night to have actual hordes. The fear would come from the sheer number of zombies rather than just a handful who uncharacteristically know how to avoid traps and what not.

Archived