Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Lol it less than a minority. Mac and Linux combined don't even equal 1% of sales, and Linux is only about 10% of Mac.

On the bright side I’m sure there are some nice college scholarships people can qualify for if they are in the “less than a minority” classification.

/Linux Lives Matter

The slow reload is fine. Being stuck in the animation and unable to switch to a bandage or a melee weapon is a big problem however. All it really does is take agency away from the player to be able to solve dynamic problems that come up in combat, and feels like an oversight.

Quoted for truth. For me, the crossbow is broken and a waste of a toolbar slot. Lourde help you if you fire at a divebombing buzzard and miss.

The surface mounds were a great way to indicate to new players what was below the surface. Instead of bringing them back you could replace some of the small stones on the surface (not the boulders) with a small sample of what is likely to be found below.

That would provide new players with a hint of where to mine and all players a way to get small samples of a particular material.

You can now sample the dirt to find out what potential there is below.

Dont we have exactly that with the gravel spots ?

Dig the Gravel, see what Ressource is with it and you know wich vein is beneath

Gravel is gone from mining, and the spots. It looked ugly and didn't work with the new splat map system. Just sample the dirt (look for boulders in the first place) and it should show the predominant ore. Once you get through the dirt you will only need a pickaxe. I didn't like switching constantly between pick and shovel.

The slow reload is fine. Being stuck in the animation and unable to switch to a bandage or a melee weapon is a big problem however. All it really does is take agency away from the player to be able to solve dynamic problems that come up in combat, and feels like an oversight.

Reloading your bandage or drink horrible so we locked you into the animation. Since then Faatal figured out how to interupt an animation completely instead of being forced to exit the transition, so I think he could fix this by allowing item switch again while reloading. Just have to force a holster immediately and it should look pretty good.

It would be nice if you could craft poisoned food, looks like normal food. Could leave it for raiders on pvp

That could be interesting. Until your friends come over and are like, whats to eat hmmm this looks good.. arrrrrgghhh...

Edit wait: That is still interesting :)

Ok, so why should I ever use a gun if I can just put 3 *bows in my belt and shoot a salvo of 3 arrows/bolts into any zombie? Sure, lots of slots used, but in 95% of cases you can simply "one-to-three-shot" zombies without waking any other zombie so you have all the time in the world to reload.

The slow reload means you have to include that time into all calculations. If you shoot with a *bow, always keep enough distance so that zombies can't reach you before you can actually switch the weapon. It really means distance and careful inspection of your surroundings is a lot more important for *bow than with other weapons. In POIs you always have to try to shoot from across a room and invest heavily into perks that give you faster movement stealthed if you want to reduce risks.

Except for horde night *bows are used from day 1 till really late game. I have never played a game where I had no *bow in my belt at any time and I think this is true for my co-players as well. *bows don't seem to be second rate weapons (unlike the blunderbuss which really is a special case that is used for fun not for efficiency) because of their reload.

The problem is blunder busses and the really slow reloading weapons cripple you with the combined effect of slower movement while reloading and unable to stop bleeding or heal for 4-6 seconds (m60 reload is 6 seconds)

Soldiers are trained that it's quicker to switch weapons than to reload. On horde night my tool belt usually contains 2-3 ranged weapons. If I suffer a breach I'd rather switch weapon while falling back to the next line of defense than try to reload while going backwards.

Yeah tbh, I want to role play a pirate with 3-4 blunderbusses on my belt. Later game it will be 3-4 double barrels.

Maybe the balance could be that if you interrupt the reload animation, the weapon doesn’t get reloaded. At least then you can’t cycle endlessly through crossbows 1-3 on your belt. You can go through all three without waiting for the animation but then they are empty just like when you first craft one or run out of ammo and then have to press R or the radial menu to manually reload.

Skipping the animation but having it still reload in the background would be the truly undesirable outcome.

The way it used to work when we allowed switching was you weren't credited a full weapon until the last frame of the reload anim completed. So you can switch, but you'll have to start the reload process all over again when you go back to that weapon. Its perfectly balanced this way. If you need to abort reload you can, but you'll still need to reload the weapon later to use it.

This is probably one of the best changes I have seen:applause:

The auger and chainsaw are end game. So once you have those you can throw out your shovels and pickaxes, because it shreds dirt, stone etc. We fixed the harvest bug, so no meta mining now.

Suggestion:

Remove all attributes from dye, except the fact that it changes the color.

After that add an additional slot to all level 2-6 weapons/tools/armor that is locked to accept a dye only.

So a level two weapon would now have two slots instead of one, one locked for a dye if you have one, and one for a mod.

This way we can have a color change option and not lose a mod slot. Once you get up in levels and start building all the mods, dyes get put to the wayside for better mod attributes.

///// Once you get through the dirt you will only need a pickaxe. I didn't like switching constantly between pick and shovel.

With this logic, you can remove everything.

What are you going to leave in the game if there is nothing to do?

What? what are you going to do?

....you don't want it.... you're not interested....a lot of biomes you don't need.....the cave to make - incapable.....

What?

to come up with new perks?

What will you remove next?

What do you like?

there were so many interesting things in the Beginning....

did you become a different person after the game of rust?

you can ban me...

PS: ...i don't care about gravel - i don't mean that.

Why? How many stations do you need? Do gates excite you?

Yes. I don't even mind what kind of gates. Rng, grind for material, grind for xp, some combination of all three. You already have gates on most things. Finding a book to make item x is a "gate". Don't want to hunt down the book? Spend xp. Different gate but still a gate.

Without gates this kind of game becomes boring very quickly. You all do a great job of balancing the several gating mechanisms. It's alpha so of course they get out of hand from time to time but that's to be expected in alpha games. With the exception of dumping "learn by doing", I've liked every fix you have made to gates that were out of whack.

Thank you for leaving FOV command, and I'm very exited with the upcoming random stats for A18.

But I'm gonna miss gravel. It added some variety to mining. Switching tools, awaiting collapse, adding supports. Now I'm afraid it is gonna be mindless pickaxing all the way.

Thank you for leaving FOV command, and I'm very exited with the upcoming random stats for A18.

But I'm gonna miss gravel. It added some variety to mining. Switching tools, awaiting collapse, adding supports. Now I'm afraid it is gonna be mindless pickaxing all the way.

Couldn't agree more. As annoying as it is to change tools... which isn't too annoying. Come on. One key. How lazy can you be? Anyway, atleast gravel changed it up. It's always fun to clear big patches of gravel with dangerous cave-ins to uncover ore. Then you gotta build supports like an actual mine to keep it safe. Removing gravel makes it lazy bastard, weak sauce, spam click. Snorefest.

OMG A18 isn't even complete, but I am having the most fun since A11 or A14. 60 FPS at 1920, where A17 was 30 at best and dipped to teens at moments, and I haven't felt a single stutter or pause. I found a book and it felt so rewarding. We improved stamina regen rate and you can mine and cut wood with no issues, but sprinting and power attacks will suck it out of you fast. This feels amazing. Zombies were breaking out of 2 story windows and ragdolling when they hit the ground and I LOD'd every time. I have a ♥♥♥♥ eating grin from ear to ear. I think this build is going to solve 95% of the complaints.

There are half destroyed POIs to loot all over the place too, so if you need a place to hide or stay you don't have a 2 hour dungeon crawl. Its awesome. Those are still here but there are lots of remnants for day 1 adventurers so this feels great.

SI is not changing, so we will have same fun.

OMG A18 isn't even complete, but I am having the most fun since A11 or A14. 60 FPS at 1920, where A17 was 30 at best and dipped to teens at moments, and I haven't felt a single stutter or pause. I found a book and it felt so rewarding. We improved stamina regen rate and you can mine and cut wood with no issues, but sprinting and power attacks will suck it out of you fast. This feels amazing. Zombies were breaking out of 2 story windows and ragdolling when they hit the ground and I LOD'd every time. I have a ♥♥♥♥ eating grin from ear to ear. I think this build is going to solve 95% of the complaints.

There are half destroyed POIs to loot all over the place too, so if you need a place to hide or stay you don't have a 2 hour dungeon crawl. Its awesome. Those are still here but there are lots of remnants for day 1 adventurers so this feels great.

This a good one. We needed a good explanation how A18 feels in early stage, thanks mate.

I think we're all dying to see a bit of raw footage.

Gravel is gone from mining, and the spots. It looked ugly and didn't work with the new splat map system. Just sample the dirt (look for boulders in the first place) and it should show the predominant ore. Once you get through the dirt you will only need a pickaxe. I didn't like switching constantly between pick and shovel.

Is pocket mining gone then?

I usually dig to depth ~14 (because that was the transition point from iron to specific ore) and then basically strip mine until I hit gravel. Is there any indication that you are near an ore deposit now?

Guest Rassilon

Mr Mole... Stop it youre making me drool.

Very eager to lay my hands on it, even stopped playing my current PT to refresh my Motivation :)

( A bit the fault of Rage2 too^^ )

Archived