Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Something with similar stats as gravel or destroyed stone but you can mine with a pick.

Everybody is thinking too hard on this one, inventing new stones and geo-conglomerates....

How about just leave it as Gravel - BUT.... make it so Picks do more block damage to it than shovels in the code??

Instead of reinvent wheel - reprogram wheel.

Limestone is a good choice to add, makes more sense and makes cement making a bit harder as you will need to gather limestone, crush it and then process it. It also has other uses and could even contain Flint to make stone tools from. Well maybe to much for the vanilla game to have to gather Flint instead of 'stone', but hey.

But any similar to stone textured 'stone' could do honestly, players need to not be forewarned more than they notice the stone being weaker. Might also be good to add more denser (more HP) stone deeper down where more ores are, so mining deeper will require the stronger tools (which could get a bonus to this denser stone). Then miners need to take care to support their tunnels as there could be veins of weaker easily falling stone around to crush them and going deeper is not something that people can do early on unless they invest into mining perks early/get lucky with finding good tools.

Kid zombies were already answered. But why would it be scarier? And why would you think twice? Just blast the little bastard where you sent his mom a while ago.

I don't know about scarier, but if kid zombies could fit through single voxel holes, it would definitely make things more intense, especially on horde night.

As the headshot perks both melee and ranged are very overpowered and the individual weapon types are underpowered in relation, would it not be best to give the headshot perks a stun combined with the headshot damage and add the instant kill to the weapon types. Pistols 2% instant kill with a 5% instant kill on a headshot ect...

As the headshot perks both melee and ranged are very overpowered and the individual weapon types are underpowered in relation, would it not be best to give the headshot perks a stun combined with the headshot damage and add the instant kill to the weapon types. Pistols 2% instant kill with a 5% instant kill on a headshot ect...

The whole point of zombie games is to aim for the head. Or all FPSes in general. What is OP about that?

The whole point of zombie games is to aim for the head. Or all FPSes in general. What is OP about that?

I am talking about the balance of the skills. If you can instantly kill a zombie 45% of the time with a head shot why would you get individual weapon class perks. I am trying to balance the skill points a little, and a stun is still a huge bonus with the added damage. It also means to get a stun chance and an instant kill chance you would need both headshot and a specific class of weapon (pistol, shotgun ect...). You would still get to blow up zombie heads but it would allow for a longer character build up in development.

Could that tech be applied to storage boxes? :D

THIS ^^^^^

All. Of. This.

Being able to paint versions of icons onto boxes, or having simple box paints like "$" or like a dirt/ore pile. More matte colours and the ability to put some ASCII on to signs (Like ↑ ↓ → ←) to help with storage organisation and management.

After reading all the shiny new stuff for A18 I'm excited, but as the resident OCD Storage Hoarder in our plays this makes me a sad panda when having to resort to trying to match paint textures to storage contents and then trying to explain logic to other members, or having to sacrifice an entire row of storage boxes every 2 rows to be able to put up text signs (since placing them ON the box often means people interact with it instead of the box).

Kid zombies were already answered. But why would it be scarier? And why would you think twice? Just blast the little bastard where you sent his mom a while ago.

I was half joking but what was the answer to kid zombies? I think it was before my time. But creepy little kids are always scarier in horror movies, like Pet Sematary, and I would think twice because it's a kid, human nature to nurture kids, rather than slaughter. Adults are fair game. Baby Zombies in zombie flicks are scary, but in a different way. That's just sad. But the Poopy Pants daycare full of zombie kids...I would be scareder than a stadium full of adult zombies. Or a semetary full of pet zombies. But a zoo full of Zoombies... that's some scary sh*t. Lions and Tigers and Bears... Zombie Serengetti... or Zombie Sharks...any ways, Chucky was scarier because he was a doll of a kid. Way scarier than a ken doll zombie. Also if you've ever had a pack of feral children attack you and cling to your legs, just imagine they are hungry little zombies next time. If you tried to attack then you could just as easily cut you own leg and cripple yourself. Not to mention they are fast and can fit through one block ingresses in real life.,

@madmole I've been meaning to ask. ... A17 shipped with tons of new decorative blocks used in the dungeon-crawl POIs. ... Are there plans on expanding survival's access to fancy blocks like this for the builders out there? I'd love to be able to get access to stuff like fridges, stoves, the ceiling moulding, trim blocks, etc for building in this game.

We have a lot of people working on a lot of stuff. It was never the "main" focus. It is an ongoing priority for a few of us. I've spent a good amount of time optimizing stuff over the last 6 months (for A17 and A18), but not exclusively since there are many bugs to be fixed and features to improve or add.

Case in point:

SSR effect is very demanding on GPU, which you could not turn off in A17 until 17.3 (using a console command). 17.4 now has a video option to disable it.

The SSR effect actually has a variety of values. I tested various combinations this week and A18 now has Low, Medium and High SSR settings. These have about 25%, 45% and 90% of the overhead of A17's SSR.

Thanks for the reply faatal. I'm really glad to see you guys are at least working on optimizations. Don't get me wrong, I do love seeing new content and how it will change game play but so much content has been added which I'm sure effects performance. I maybe mistaken but I think you guys moved over to a newer version of Unity for A17? I'm sure a lot of us server owners would like to see some love on the server side of things. I understand the game is still in Alpha and couldn't ask for a better game for the money. This is honestly the only game I have ever put over 1000+ hours into. Any love on the server side performance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't know about scarier, but if kid zombies could fit through single voxel holes, it would definitely make things more intense, especially on horde night.

If you have some Zombies be able to pass 1 block high passages it would change base design a lot.

The next is players demanding to also pass though 1 block high passages.

And in the end you have bases only consisting of 1 block high passages, making the game end up in being a crawling simulator.

Will A18 have any minority zombies? I think certain ethnicities are underrepresented a bit. Just randomize their skin tone and call it a day.

trader rekt totally looks of asian descent to me. Also why are there no child zombies? Does the virus only reanimate adults? Need to work on your diversity. Also kid zombies are scarier in my opinion. Makes you think twice before pulling the trigger. Also cat zombies. Cause the dogs wouldn't eat them all. And Rats. And pigeons/crows. More diversity. /End rant

For kid zombies, I like to think that babies and children's immune systems are too weak to handle the virus and fully transform.

Of quartz this will happen again. Members will leave no stone unturned to add to them. Just have to pick the right ones.

Talc a minute to enjoy them.

I like you!

- - - Updated - - -

Something with similar stats as gravel or destroyed stone but you can mine with a pick.

Yeah for sure! Conglomerates are hard as.. well.. stone! They usually make a fine host rock for several ores as well (gold for example). They cannot be mined with a shovel from my experience..

Are there still no shadows on foliage in A18 or has that been fixed? Also tying damage to weapon quality is a good move. What about rate of fire? It would visually make the top tear weapons look bad ass. Would need some balance though.

@MM

Do you think there will ever be an option to completely skip the tutorial missions? I kinda figured out how to make a stone axe after a 1000 hours ^-^

Just avoid sighting that part of the screen.

Weren't we able to cancel quests, including your favourite one from the quest menu? I remember canceling few in A16..

I am workin and unavailable to try itnow, sry.

Just avoid sighting that part of the screen.

Weren't we able to cancel quests, including your favourite one from the quest menu? I remember canceling few in A16..

I am workin and unavailable to try itnow, sry.

You can cancel the starter quest but you don't get the 4 skill points. It would be ideal if you could cancel the starter quest because you have already done it a hundred times but still get the points.

You can cancel the starter quest but you don't get the 4 skill points. It would be ideal if you could cancel the starter quest because you have already done it a hundred times but still get the points.

Thanks.

Losing these 4 points in the beginning could be a bit ouch for some, indeed.

If you have some Zombies be able to pass 1 block high passages it would change base design a lot.

The next is players demanding to also pass though 1 block high passages.

And in the end you have bases only consisting of 1 block high passages, making the game end up in being a crawling simulator.

We used to have 1-block ingress but it was removed. The main reason given was that it made POI looting too easy and the animations sucked.

Many of us would like to see it return. The balance is easy, just slow the player to a crawl (pun intended) and nobody is going to be going all "Shawshank redemption" just to get back in their base.

We used to have 1-block ingress but it was removed. The main reason given was that it made POI looting too easy and the animations sucked.

Many of us would like to see it return. The balance is easy, just slow the player to a crawl (pun intended) and nobody is going to be going all "Shawshank redemption" just to get back in their base.

I'm curious... Why is this such a must?

As I see it, it adds nothing at all to the game... Well ok, you get to crawl, but how is that adding to the game in a meaningful way?

I'd rather see time spent on: Gameplay, RWG, electrical, zombie types, missions, stability fixes, .............

But that's just me I guess...

Archived