Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I figure a new playthrough is another good way to see how things are balanced with the new tweaks. The only weapons/tools we've crafted here are two compound bows, one wooden bow, and one tier 3 steel fireaxe (And that was a luxury for busting doors in pois... I already had a tier 2 chainsaw.). Other than that there has been zero need to craft anything else tool/weapon wise, and there should be.

Food crafting was better in the last game, with a few recipes and enough seeds to start a decent garden.

IMHO both cobblestone and cement are way too plentiful in pois rather than going out and getting the resources for them. maybe reducing the yield from them at 70 or 80% would fix that?

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know. (: I'm only on day 3 though, so I'll be restarting anyway, just in case. I don't have much to lose anyway.

I was just about to unlock the 4x4 again. 8/ I've yet to get a early game gyro to se how that changes exploration and progression as a result.

Thx, that's actually good to know, I started to think I was doing something wrong.

Well the thing is machine guns are intended to be powerful and clear zombies efficiently, it still does on insane with just 2 levels in the perk.

Gunslinger have a crit damage every 5, 4 and 3 shots depending on perk level. It pops heads very efficiently on insane.

But then comes shotty's job of knock down and it doesn't do it's job on insane efficiently. So that's why the shotty's feel 'off' and puts Strength at a disadvantage. I mean if the benefit of the perk isn't working why would we put points into it? Maybe 'knock down' has it's own values to calculate whether or not it knocks down instead of just raw power output, but that's not my forte and just a suggestion.

Dunno for other players but I play on insane for challenge, it doesn't mean I don't want my character to not progress his build. Think of it as feedback for the betterment of the game, definitely not a complaint.

and see, reading gazz's posts I'm thinking this. Yes balance the game for lower difficulties but... if the shotgun is supposed to knock down zombies, it should still knock them down even on insane. it doesn't. but the M60? It still does, really well too.

So... I was on day 140 with 2 hour days . Level 100~ and my gamestage also quite high ( 987). I tried a new base design scrapping the last one with my beloved rocket launcher and some dinamite.

There I was trying a huge interesting advanced architecture thingy wasting tons and tons of cement and quite a bit of steel. It was something in the lines of a huuuuge inverted pyramid.

"I'll do the side supports later" was the motto of the week. Everything collapsed 5 minutes before horde night just when I got on top of it from one of the sides to check the building from above.

I'll give you a screenshot of that horde night:

20191105194507_1.jpg.34f79f1004fd5ab5d04112bfefdc38a4.jpg

Thanks for sharing it, I was curious lol. I'm attempting to think of a new design myself in this latest run, I'm at day 7 morning but I got lucky with this RWG map. I found a nice flat area with nice houses, I holed up in on with a working workbench and the trader nearby has a chem lab. Near that is a decent-sized city, so I'm really set lol. Found coal, nitrate (of course lead, that ♥♥♥♥'s everywhere), iron. Me good.

Btw you guys ever think about lowering the chance for lead deposits in the worlds? I swear you can't go 30 feet without running into half a dozen lead nodes.

So... I was on day 140 with 2 hour days . Level 100~ and my gamestage also quite high ( 987). I tried a new base design scrapping the last one with my beloved rocket launcher and some dinamite.

There I was trying a huge interesting advanced architecture thingy wasting tons and tons of cement and quite a bit of steel. It was something in the lines of a huuuuge inverted pyramid.

"I'll do the side supports later" was the motto of the week. Everything collapsed 5 minutes before horde night just when I got on top of it from one of the sides to check the building from above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30414[/ATTACH]

did you tip him?

Btw you guys ever think about lowering the chance for lead deposits in the worlds? I swear you can't go 30 feet without running into half a dozen lead nodes.

I’ve been afraid to ask for that in case we need it for anti-rad stuff later. Been afraid to point out that lead trophies and fishing weights are unnecessary clutter as well. Don’t need the smelting whole bonus on those. If it’s not going to get used, then by all means, please reduce.

I’ve been afraid to ask for that in case we need it for anti-rad stuff later. Been afraid to point out that lead trophies and fishing weights are unnecessary clutter as well. Don’t need the smelting whole bonus on those. If it’s not going to get used, then by all means, please reduce.

Right lol, I auto-toss anything that scraps into lead, what's the point of having them when I can find 20 million pounds of lead in 1 minute on the ground in the sea of lead nodes everywhere

Networking is really finicky. Some games handle dropped packets better than others, sometimes your route to a particular server has problems, sometimes your ISP has issues on routes, sometimes your NIC/Modem is dropping enough packets to where one node on your route to a server sucks and doesn't handle errors, lots of stuff. For example, about a year and a half ago, I used to play SWTOR sometimes randomly. Unplayable disconnections and/or huuuuuge lag spikes (5 - 10 seconds long). No other game was affected. CSGO, 5-10 MS ping. I played on an EU server on 7 Days with no issue. However, after analytics, I discovered I was dropping about 25 - 35% of my packets at leaving my modem, leaving a 99% dropped packet at the end to the SWTOR server. CSGO (example of handing packets) I was dropping insane amounts of packets.

Replacing my coaxial cable helped. Use pingplotter (free trial works) and trace the route/hops/nodes to the dedicated server for a good 15 mins (let it run for a bit) and see if you're having issues. If you cant make heads or tails of the report, take a screenshot of it and post it here.

As mentioned, I could rule out network issues already. Also doesn't matter anymore, as I found the problem: Seems I had forgotten to cleanse my game profile (doh!). Did that, and the game is fine now. All good.

Right lol, I auto-toss anything that scraps into lead, what's the point of having them when I can find 20 million pounds of lead in 1 minute on the ground in the sea of lead nodes everywhere

No kidding, if lead nodes were weighted down to 1/3 the chance the other nodes have, we'd still have more than enough.

Unlike lead and coal, which can be used straight out of the ground, iron needs to be smelted to remove impurities or it's near-useless. It makes sense to have raw iron and then scrap/ingots. They removed raw iron once before and brought it back. I'm hoping they'll do it again. Change its stack size if that bothers you - 1200 is weird, you're right.

No need to repost, I deliberately did not reply.

Excuse me if the idea was bad, the intention was to contribute ideas, some of my ideas in the forums were actually transformed, I like the path of A18 and I hope that A19 will follow in its footsteps.

Lemme break it down to what it is. It's not about iron ore.

The ore removal is just yet another example of the dumbing down/simplification that people who have played the game for many alphas and enjoyed it, don't like.

...cue MM's "stick" comment.

Used to be we'd have to take wood to make sticks. Take rocks to make sharp rocks. Then and only then could we make arrows. Now it's punch a tree and a boulder, straight to making arrows. Seems insignificant and slight to you? Multiply that simplification over dozens of systems, and you have the current generic and boring crafting system, when we once had a complicated one that made you think and plan, and more importantly made you prepare.

"But newbies couldn't figure it out!". Um, then why do you have the fevered fan base that you have? Because newbies COULD figure it out. And they enjoyed it.

...we once had 19 biomes in the xmls. 19. Now we functionally have 3. And they cause a bigger fps drop than the 19.

Jesus, I was actually going to make a list of all the things we have lost, but what's the point. MM et al likes the for dummies version of the game, that's not going to change, so why bother.

Y'all have fun.

Thanks for explaining Gup, i first thought they wanted to remove the forge... (i have not found MM comments)

It is a pity that the developers can not explain it as well.

All this is true...but still....if to remove all from 7dtd in that same we will play?....the question is rhetorical.

I will answer: someone will play "minecraft", someone - in "fortnite", and those who want to survive will play, "project zomboid", "the long dark", "ark".....or other games about survival!

After all, "beginners" who want to play 7dtd, who "do not want to understand things" attracts not such graphics and not such a performance ... so maybe all the same these people are not the target audience for this game?

The competition in this niche is very huge...;)

We're getting asphalt back in.

That is very nice, I wanted asphalt more than gravel. To fix the sand problem, could you make a cheaper recipe for weaker topsoil which has the same HP as sand and costs the same as harvesting one sand block?

Also, could you just give the rare ores one of the existing textures like gravel, to keep that 'oh yess' moment in? I always loved when I mined and suddenly found diamonds.

Misinterpreted your "landing spot highlight" before I finished your post. Got me thinking though wouldn't it be nice if you could throw out a marker and a supply plane would fly over and drop one of those slow descending flares that would light up a fair sized area on horde nights.

How awesome would it be to have a Flare Gun in the game? Or a Flare ammunition for the shotguns? Am I the only one who thinks this would be great?

Obviously I love paint, and I pushed for the paint system. If you watch my video I painted my entire base a nice stucco az theme. But do we want to clutter precious inventory space with paint cans? We took it out of loot for that reason, and it found its way back through scrapping.

Is it possible to just do away with paint in its entirety, as far as loot goes, and simply build it into a radial menu for the Paint Brush? Maybe do something similar with clothing - i.e. under the cosmetic modifier slot, eliminate actual dyes and just have it pop open a color menu?

IMHO both cobblestone and cement are way too plentiful in pois rather than going out and getting the resources for them. maybe reducing the yield from them at 70 or 80% would fix that?

That might make miner 69'r more of a must have. It takes about 5000 concrete mix to do a 10x10 4 high and 2 deep reinforced. The main problem is a couple of POIS go overboard on it, but it could be nerfed some, more like 20-30% IMO. MP has to share the world too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30414[/ATTACH]

LOL. How the hell do you get 280 hours in so fast?

Thanks for sharing it, I was curious lol. I'm attempting to think of a new design myself in this latest run, I'm at day 7 morning but I got lucky with this RWG map. I found a nice flat area with nice houses, I holed up in on with a working workbench and the trader nearby has a chem lab. Near that is a decent-sized city, so I'm really set lol. Found coal, nitrate (of course lead, that ♥♥♥♥'s everywhere), iron. Me good.

I told Gazz that, I think he reworked distribution some.

Archived