madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

For sure.

I don't think it's random.

When you set up a killing corridor correctly.

they will all run up and fall off the ledge, rinse and repeat.

I'm saying 50% of the zombies do that. And 50% attack your base and don't run up and do that.

I understand that would be difficult to code. Just an idea 🤷♂️😕

_

And I know people will find a way.

But before the zombies had this improved AI you didn't see stuff like this.

Because they just attacked all over.

if there was a mix of AI from a15 for example and AI now. That wouldn't be too bad.

What I would do is increasing the cost of the path grid where zombies died. If more the two died nearby, increase the cost in that area. This will let the pathsearch favor other paths over time, marking the killing corridor a bad way to take.

Those extra costs could vanish over time, resetting to zero cost.

Player.log or.

I run win 10

Gpu is a gainwood 1070

8k vram

Cpu 6700k core 7

32k ram

If you are getting 2 FPS with that hardware, then you have a serious problem going on. I can get 10 FPS on a garbage AMD HD 5770 1 GB VRAM from 10 years ago.

Try:

1 Reboot the computer

2 Remove any 7dtd mods you might have

3 Start steam and Verify Integrity Of Game Files from the properties for 7dtd

4 Start 7dtd with no other programs running (other than steam)

5 Set screen resolution to 1920x1080 and VSync off

6 Set Video settings to High and Apply

7 Start a new Navezgane map

8 Check FPS (F8 key)

Has anyone seen the effect of the glancing blows? They were supposed to make melee more reactive but to me it still feels like to hit a zombie you have to have your crosshair on it at the moment of impact, and it's either hit or miss. I have not noticed anything related to the glancing blows that were described here. Wondering if I'm the only one.

It definitely work as intended and there is a different sound it makes on a glancing blow Vs full solid hit. Usually glancing blows will hit slightly downwards from the tip but the animation stays the same. Cross screen Swinging weapons can multi hit using glancing blows too.

Some multi-player users I believe are experiencing some hit detection issues, but single player is solid.

So, since Madmole got a chuckle out of our friend screwing us by spending two full 120-minute game-days soloing around on the server with nobody else around, I present the consequences of his actions... Day 28 Horde Night.

We got rekt. :D

So we had no choice but to reuse the same POI (the radio tower one) and repair the defenses that remained. Our friend who caused the issue wasn't playing tonight (the rat), so there was four of us. Computed gamestage was 204, 279 spawning per wave, 63 alive according to the logfile. That means wave one started out with radiateds, and it went downhill from there. We were doing okay, but I could already tell only a couple minutes in that we weren't going to quite have enough ammo. We've got that issue fixed moving forward now, but yeah. Then Wave 2 started.

Oh. My. Crap.

Demolishers. SEVENTEEN OF THEM. Do you know what kind of hole SEVENTEEN DEMOLISHERS punches through a defensive perimeter? I'll tell you. There were literally no spikes or barbed wire left on our south side. we started them nearly 15 meters out from the wall (I think 10 out from the fence). They managed to get into the building. They took out THE BUILDING.

Naturally we all died in new and horrible ways. Some observations:

1. I was the highest level I believe, at 38. (Finished at 41.) We're on adventurer and were just now getting to the point where we're getting purples in loot on a semi-regular basis. Also we're on Adventurer, so I think that the scaling may be a wee bit out of whack for MP. Or maybe not, and we just need to beat our friend to a bloody lump and use him as bait for the zombies.

2. After respawn, our home base (which was a good 4-500m away) had a Radiated at it almost immediately. I don't know if it was spawned in as we were dying, or what. kiting it into spikes killed it and seemed to keep the BM avoidance intact. (Note: seemed.)

3. Killing zombies by driving them down with the 4x4 does not seem to restart the BM horde. One of us jumped in ours and managed to take out the stragglers that way. They're showing up in the logs as "Entity X killed" instead of "killed by <player>".

4. After a few minutes, we made our way back over and got our bags, started finding our junk turrets, standard post-battle chores. The last death was at 21:39:18 in the logs. At 21:51:05, the horde resumed right where it'd left off, with count 70 of 279, and rekt us all over again. No zombies were near enough to have spotted us, no kills were made by anyone. The only thing that happened immediately prior was that I had spotted a junk turret partially buried, and I broke the block next to it. This caused it to "float" up out of the block it was half-buried in. Immediately after that someone called incoming.

After that the horde did not ever actually finish spawning. Last one was 113 of 279, and we cleaned up (by running over with a 4x4 again) wrapping up at dawn. It was great fun, and now we go off to figure out how to make disposable horde bases, because we can't quite figure how we're going to keep 17+ Demolishers from wrecking anything we throw in their path.

THere is a mods tab I think. Books go under science or something.

Also, since Trader start showing some decoration item and crap items and total item count increase in game, can we have trader showing more items as well? Currently their list is still same size as in A17 it feels like that, but we have so many new guns and item added to them, not to mention all those books and mod.

I tried knifes a few months ago after rage was in the game and the bleed was brutal, since it could trigger rage with every tick. Reduced that to a tenth of the normal chance and it works pretty well. Bleed and run or bleed and switch targets.

Yeah, I found flaming torch to be brutal in the exact same way, damn zeds run pretty much the entire time they are burning

Player.log or.

I run win 10

Gpu is a gainwood 1070

8k vram

Cpu 6700k core 7

32k ram

4k tv res

Settings - ultra and high won't play on anything less cause I may as well be playing a 80s arcade game....

Aside from what Fataal said, run Windows update and make sure you get all the .NET framework updates and etc. Note this could (usually does) take multiple passes, and check for updates even if it says no updates are available. And, may seem silly but it happens commonly, make sure you're running on your actual video card, not the on-board connection. But yeah, I get 60+ fps indoors and anywhere between 20-50 outdoors depending (about to try the new update now), on my potato laptop lol.

Also, if you're running at 4k, lower the resolution. 4k is very hard to get good FPS on.

Updates make a huge difference, trust me on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys generally have higher or lower FPS with texture streaming on?

I generally have it off, but wondering about everyone else's experiences.

Generally off, but my integrated GPU only has 1gb VRAM allocated to it. I find occlusion is a 50/50, but in the big Shotgun Messiah factory occlusion def helped.

Faatal:

I'm still getting 25-30FPS with Anisotropic Filtering on, and 60+ with it off. Using gfx af 0 gets me to 60, but 1 or 2 are both right around 27-28. Still 60+ indoors as well.

This is with a Radeon RX580 8GB card, Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, and 16GB of RAM running off of an SSD. Windows 10 1903 running from a (separate) NVMe SSD. Just passing on that there's still something a tad funky.

My arrows seem to go right through the zombies heads and upper chest near neck more than normal. We are talking 1 out of every 3-5 shots and like 1 out of every 2-3 when it comes to the biker zombie. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, I made mention of it earlier. MM responded asking us to let him know which zeds in particular. I am waiting on the update to play again and roll out a list.

1 in particular that I have always had issues with in the past is the nurse, her headshots are like shooting a blob of jelly, they go right through without any effect whatsoever.

There are def more to come once I get the game rolling again and can screenshot them

Its still almost pitch black at dusk and dawn, if you have a good monitor with true black.

I'M So glad to read this coming from you. That it's a factor you're conscious of. Heck Nvidia seems to default

driver settings to limited gamma aka 15-235, instead of 0-255 full range.

I Play in my home theater, sitting on my couch with a big ISF calibrated screen, and true discrete sound. When a game dev isn't conscious of "mastering" using calibrated equipment, it makes it frustratingly hard for an end user to get video and sound looking/sounding right.

Too often you can tell a dev is doing color and chroma on a uncalibrated monitor. Which totally screws those of us with a properly calibrated screen at home.

The same sentiment goes for Audio too. Headphones are nice, but nothing comes close to true FULL RANGE Speakers in a discrete 5.1, 7.1, and now 5.1.4 (4 height speakers for atmos) setup.

Again It's usually easy to tell when a audio dev is mastering on Headphones.....As everything sounds like CRAP.

Aside from what Fataal said, run Windows update and make sure you get all the .NET framework updates and etc. Note this could (usually does) take multiple passes, and check for updates even if it says no updates are available. And, may seem silly but it happens commonly, make sure you're running on your actual video card, not the on-board connection. But yeah, I get 60+ fps indoors and anywhere between 20-50 outdoors depending (about to try the new update now), on my potato laptop lol.

Also, if you're running at 4k, lower the resolution. 4k is very hard to get good FPS on.

- - - Updated - - -

Generally off, but my integrated GPU only has 1gb VRAM allocated to it. I find occlusion is a 50/50, but in the big Shotgun Messiah factory occlusion def helped.

Cool.

Yeah, my FPS seems to be around 75-85 in the open without it on.

Just tried the gfx af 0 and FPS went to 110.

Do you have to restart your game to remove the gfx af 0 command? I left the game and came back and it was still applied.

THanks, yeah I'm having a blast with it as usual. Is a shotgun guy viable on horde night? I just have a crap q2 double barrel so hopefully things get better. I might need to get closer to them and build bars in my basement trench because shooting from above I have to wonder if half the rays are getting wasted.

But if you're planning on using iron bars as somewhat of a wall as I am, then I request one small thing for A19: Steel bars. Iron bars are great, don't get me wrong, but once you start getting to later gamestage hordes, if you wish to still use iron bars as a wall of sorts (or to attract the zombies to a certain location, even)... even multiple rows are just wet tissue paper at that point. So yeah, steel bars (3500-4000 HP)... That would be nice. :)

Yes, I made mention of it earlier. MM responded asking us to let him know which zeds in particular. I am waiting on the update to play again and roll out a list.

1 in particular that I have always had issues with in the past is the nurse, her headshots are like shooting a blob of jelly, they go right through without any effect whatsoever.

There are def more to come once I get the game rolling again and can screenshot them

Yeah the biker zombie's beard seems to be protecting his neck. I've noticed his hitbox is off while using the spear a bit. His head and face are spot on, but sides of his neck not so much.

And gfx af is antistrophic filtering, set it to 0 along with gfx pp 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool.

Yeah, my FPS seems to be around 75-85 in the open without it on.

Just tried the gfx af 0 and FPS went to 110.

Do you have to restart your game to remove the gfx af 0 command? I left the game and came back and it was still applied.

I don't typically, but I've never noticed it turning back on mid game. I've noticed none of the commands work pre-game load, though, so restarting the game prob turns it off anyway.

No, has.

The snow biome still has that exact same performance drop when looking at terrain that the first experimental build has. Desert has it also, but to a smaller extent.

Forest, Wasteland and BurnedBiome have no issue and are currently performing roughly the same as A17 (although i have to turn AF off for that, which hurts image quality, but that issue will hopefully be fixed sooner or later).

There's still plenty of people reporting it as well (specifically mentioning snow biome as well)

Edit: as far as numbers go, looking at lots of terrain in the Snowbiome, the fps can go as low as 15, but typically sits at 20-30FPS. Forest/Burned/Wasteland biome is ~50 FPS for me now(no drops).

Edit2: Specs: Intel 4.2 Ghz Quadcore (Haswell) , Radeon RX480 8GB, 16GB DDR3. Running 1080p on Win10. Texturesize or streaming/occlusion does not matter for framerate.

Ok thanks, we'll keep looking into this.

Yeah definitely shotgun is viable. My horde base that's only for hordes is kinda like the Pentagon, cept it's square. 3 square walls around each other 4 blocks high spaced 1 block apart from each other with spikes inbetween. I have wood bars on top, and i usually use my level 1 shotgun with no shotgun perks to start the night to use excess shells I've found, the 4 height seems effective, get quite a few kills before running out and switching to my main AK/7.62 ammo.

By the way, does the "forgetim' " drink or whatever the trader sells give you a respec? If not what does it do? I kept forgetting to check it and the trader doesn't have it for sale atm.

Yes.

Created a new RWG map. Started it. No mod used.

Entered the world and at like 7:01, left it immediately. Reentered the game.

For whatever reasons, the "starter quests" chain never got triggered.

The only other difference with previous games, "game settings" in the small menu at the beginning were reset for this alpha.

If you are getting 2 FPS with that hardware, then you have a serious problem going on. I can get 10 FPS on a garbage AMD HD 5770 1 GB VRAM from 10 years ago.

Try:

1 Reboot the computer

2 Remove any 7dtd mods you might have

3 Start steam and Verify Integrity Of Game Files from the properties for 7dtd

4 Start 7dtd with no other programs running (other than steam)

5 Set screen resolution to 1920x1080 and VSync off

6 Set Video settings to High and Apply

7 Start a new Navezgane map

8 Check FPS (F8 key)

I play alot of other games no issues.... Skyrim. Fallout 4 all run fine with full mods I can get... No issues with my pc

- - - Updated - - -

No idea how to update .net framework unsure If I ever have lol.

Windows was just updated.

Pretty sure i running on my vid card

I just searched up "Pumpkin" in the crafting interface. Several recipes came up, including the seeds, but the actual pumpkins and some of the recipes show up as question marks, so I still wouldn't take the chance, @Gareee

This is experimental so even if someone breaks a savegame this is of no concern whatsoever.

AK-47's are now classed as machine guns, for whatever reason. :p

As Joel pointed out: Mainly consistency and clarity.

But... our AKs don't have a selective fire option so technically they are machine guns. =P

that's what I believe to, but if you saw that skill and wanted to go rifles you could put points into it not realizing that AK's arn't "rifles". by changing the wording to single fire rifles the reader would more clearly know what it was for.

By the same reasoning you could argue that a marksman rifle is not a semi-auto rifle any more if you install the right trigger group.

That's why we went with the more obvious naming convention. Simple.

I want to be clear, Int spec will still be able to handle 32 zombies at nomad difficulty. It just won't be able to do so as easily as other stats because it's less powerful. A greater focus on careful pulls/kiting/splitting enemy groups and farm can overcome most power differentials in this game if need be.

So... you want to do a pure Int build but you don't want to be using Int stuff?

2 junk turrets, 1 rifle/MG to wield and use up 7.62mm, SMG turrets to use up 9mm, shotgun turrets to use up shells.

That's quite the firestorm. As the meek Int guy you can use up all the ammo that you find and all the gun parts.

Iron, brass, paper... you can convert all of it into damage at the same time.

The Int guy is supposed to be the smart one and figure this out. =P

Yep. everything we had with durability was broken: equipped, toolbar, inventory and in storage chests.

That's in the patch notes, so yes. As expected.

Archived