Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I could be wrong, I was thinking of gun distribution, Gazz set up ammo drops, but I have no problem crafting it.

I would very much appreciate if he could give the ammo drops another look. I mostly scavenge and dont craft much, so it would be great if the .44 received some more love :p

well I do not feel like waiting 20 minutes just to load a rwg that is half honeycombed everywhere so....... Back to Navezgane I guess. I really hope that bug gets fixed. I'm really looking forward to playing RWG and seeing all the improvements.

EDIT: if anyone knows a fix or work around for this bug please let me know.

None of the 3 maps that are pregen'd tickle your fancy?

FYI - @Fatal - when testing Graphics/FPS. I notice that the AF tweak (turning off) does not help in snow biome.

in desert/forest I get 60FPS solid. in Snow I drop to 5-20FPS. I can just look at snow biome and it tanks.

GTX 1060/6GB on I7/7700K at 3.4G and 32GB of RAM and 2x 512 EVO SSDs.

I think I have a similar issue. The interesting thing is it doesnt appear to be consistent. Since I'm living in the snow biome, I think the tanking FPS happens mostly when certain fog/weather effects are occurring. Is there a way to temp. disable weather effects for troubleshooting purposes?

I think I have a similar issue. The interesting thing is it doesnt appear to be consistent. Since I'm living in the snow biome, I think the tanking FPS happens mostly when certain fog/weather effects are occurring. Is there a way to temp. disable weather effects for troubleshooting purposes?

I've observed the same thing. Fog rolled in and my FPS dropped about 20 points.

-A

I have zero problem with her. One well placed anything will kill her before she screams.

Heat is not heat. Its like an infrared heat map, like in predator. Noise, cooking, forging all add to this heat map. Stop forging or forge off site, and you won't ever generate enough heat to attract one. It takes about 4 forges and several torches running for hours at a time to attract one. Put down a junk turret and forget about it.

I mention heat but not needed to attract her & yes she is very easy to kill. She is like a little mini blood moon that is constantly spawning no matter what you do.

I just have 2 blocks with one for a chest & campfire & my bag, no base.

No torches, candles, nothing cooking, no forge yet but I come back from looting cars & nests, etc. open a chest & here she comes again.

It eats up all your supplies, especially arrows & lets remember they are harder to kill now also. I dropped down Warrior to Nomad & they still take almost the same amount of arrows to kill them. I like a challenge but if you spend all your time fighting the same Z & all Z's that come with her & again I am talking Early Game Level 1 Weapons. Yea you get stronger better weapons & so what, she spawns way too frequently in my opinion for barely any reason. I think you should change how she spawns because I have no problem with the Spider. He Screams, is harder to kill with the new jumps & I like that a lot.

The only difference between the 2 is 1 doesn't spawn all the time.

@MM

So, just played through day 8 & I have some questions and observations.

Why, suddenly, is canned food the go-to? with the stroke of an alpha you have rendered hunting and gathering obsolete due to the poisoning nature of the foods. Why would a fresh kill of cooked meat be a source of food poisoning? Why is boiled water the same? Doesn't make sense.

I feel like weapons are *way* too easy to get. By day 6 I had 3 junk turrets and 2 #3 AK's, not including the various melee weapons. I feel like the "survival" portion of the game has been nerfed big time. It's a shame that there's no need to farm, gather eggs, hunt game, or really go into buildings. we find all we need and more just looking in trash and cars.

How does it make any sense to me that frames and glass can be "morphed" into all those various shapes. It's like the only reason those changes were implemented was to make base building faster. Again, immersion breaking IMO.

I know there was some sort of dust up about repair kits before a18 dropped, (I really didn't pay much attention), so forgive me if this was explained previously, but what sense does it make to use a repair kit to fix a club or an ax? Guns, yes. A knife, ummm ok, I guess. But a club is just a stick of wood. What would the repair kit for it contain...another stick of wood?

The game looks great and runs slick as a whistle, congrats there. But I feel like the decisions behind the game-play are a mystery to me.

Can you enlighten me?

Alright it's time we address this & fix it...

I am talking about the Screaming Banshee Witch & Why is a Witch part of a Z Game anyway...

Burn her at the Pointy Stick I say...

It's the same problem as every other Alpha since she was introduced into the Game.

You can not even open up & sort your Chests without hearing her Screaming, Constantly...

There is 1 Predictable Outcome in this Game & that is this Witch will show up every time you Think you are being QUIET or using Stealth.

If I could turn her off I would just like the Blood Moon if I want to. I set mine at 30 days & that is the perfect time for me to build a Base without C/M or using the Inventory.

I would tie her & the Spider to Wandering Hordes as Scouts, maybe increase the Spawn Rate of W/H's. It just seems you could get away with a little more of a Heat Signature during the heat of the day. Heat should register more during the cool of the night or in a Snow Biome.

She takes all the fun out of the Game for me when she is just a Constant Nuisance, She is like this Every Alpha...

Everyone, over & over again she constantly Spawns...

Why fix something that isn't broken ?

F1 then...

Weather fog 0

Weather snow 0

And so on. Type help weather and it will give you list of commands.

Am I reading this right - we now have Bullet Proof Zombies and you need AP to take them out ?

That's a big negative if true.

Military zeds inanimate pretty quickly when greeted with a swarm of AP rounds. It's not a necessity, but certainly helps as better 'time management'.

I mention heat but not needed to attract her & yes she is very easy to kill. She is like a little mini blood moon that is constantly spawning no matter what you do.

I just have 2 blocks with one for a chest & campfire & my bag, no base.

No torches, candles, nothing cooking, no forge yet but I come back from looting cars & nests, etc. open a chest & here she comes again.

It eats up all your supplies, especially arrows & lets remember they are harder to kill now also. I dropped down Warrior to Nomad & they still take almost the same amount of arrows to kill them. I like a challenge but if you spend all your time fighting the same Z & all Z's that come with her & again I am talking Early Game Level 1 Weapons. Yea you get stronger better weapons & so what, she spawns way too frequently in my opinion for barely any reason. I think you should change how she spawns because I have no problem with the Spider. He Screams, is harder to kill with the new jumps & I like that a lot.

The only difference between the 2 is 1 doesn't spawn all the time.

Other things also bring up the heat in a chunk. Such as, using a stone axe to chop down a door, etc. You can go in to debug and I think its F3 if I remember correctly and it'll show you the heat for the chunk you are in. you can then try different things out to see what is raising your heat. you can also get an idea of how fast your campfires, forges etc. in that chunk is raising the heat. Doing this and understanding exactly how heat works will help you better manage that pesky screamer. I used to have the same issue.

Am I reading this right - we now have Bullet Proof Zombies and you need AP to take them out ?

That's a big negative if true.

In reality, nothing's really changed. "Armored" zombies, such as soldiers, were already tougher to deal with. The difference now is that there's special ammunition you can craft to deal with them faster (and a cool spark effect when bullets collide with their helmets).

Only positives here.

I executed the "Gfx af 0" from 30-45fps to 70-85fps, but still not my 120's of a17 .....

What other settings are the most unoptimized (besides the game itself hehe) recommended to turn off?

Edit: i turned off SS reflections and AA (because is a blurry crap) and now between 90-100, well.... the uma texture quality is still bugged? still recommended to leave it on low or i can max it now?

Edit: the AF working like this, is a bug i want to believe, because without that the far textures looks too blurry people

well I do not feel like waiting 20 minutes just to load a rwg that is half honeycombed everywhere so....... Back to Navezgane I guess. I really hope that bug gets fixed. I'm really looking forward to playing RWG and seeing all the improvements.

EDIT: if anyone knows a fix or work around for this bug please let me know.

You can start a dedicated and generate the map there, after it is finished with generation, stop the dedicated.

You can now play this world in SP.

Warning: Map generation takes much longer with this one, cause it does NOT use the GPU.

Having now played my first half hour of A18. I can already tell this is going to be great.

My first impressions

1. games overall aesthetics looks great

2. Player movement/actions feels a lot more fluid and smooth

3. Music gives the game a unique and more immersive feel

4. Looting feels a lot more like A16 which is awesome

5. The way the zombies rage, has now actually made the game a little more challenging. (I love this improvement to AI)

@TFP Nice work! Thank you for getting 7 Days to Die back to its former glory....you have no idea how relieved I am that the game is as it should be once again. :02.47-tranquillity: I never lost faith and today, I am glad to see that my loyalty was not in vein. Keep up the great work you guy/girls are doing over at The Fun Pimps. =)

Archived