Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

There is no way a screamer will spawn with what you are describing. I built a 10x10 base and upgraded a lot of blocks, etc and mine constantly and have never spawned a screamer. It takes 2 forges, 4 torches and a campfire about 12 hours to get one to come, and once you kill her it will take a long time again to get the next one. Are you cutting down 500 trees in that area?

You and I must be playing different games. Ive seen you put several times that screamers dont pop up often. But we have at MOST 4 forges running at a time, no torches cause headlamp accessory OP! If everything if running 4 forges we get at least one screamer every 5 minutes. Ran out to the desert with an Aug to mine up some sand and got about 5 of them to spawn in the 15 minutes I was there.

Having now played my first half hour of A18. I can already tell this is going to be great.

My first impressions

1. games overall aesthetics looks great

2. Player movement/actions feels a lot more fluid and smooth

3. Music gives the game a unique and more immersive feel

4. Looting feels a lot more like A16 which is awesome

5. The way the zombies rage, has now actually made the game a little more challenging. (I love this improvement to AI)

@TFP Nice work! Thank you for getting 7 Days to Die back to its former glory....you have no idea how relieved I am that the game is as it should be once again. :02.47-tranquillity: I never lost faith and today, I am glad to see that my loyalty was not in vein. Keep up the great work you guy/girls are doing over at The Fun Pimps. =)

DO YOU HAVE TO TURN MUSIC ON? NEVER HAVE I HEARD IT YET @ DAY 13

caps lock sorry work programs need items entered in caps...welcome to program of the early 2000s

Had the exact same issue. Dug down and up, nowhere to be found. Eventually figured out how to noclip and it was still nowhere (at least near the backpack icon).

Same here, even after using god mod, but the backpack is still no where to be found. Backpack icon still on compass..

I know the storage box is in the furniture settings. But is there any way to put the health, ammo, food, etc., symbol on the box like we had a few Alphas ago? Is it possible to make those symbols a sign that we can hang on a box or even in rooms of our base?

Yeah my dynamic music was off for some reason. I had to enable.

Hey thanks man! I normally turn on "take me home country road" Pandora station as it all fits the game very well :D

- - - Updated - - -

I know the storage box is in the furniture settings. But is there any way to put the health, ammo, food, etc., symbol on the box like we had a few Alphas ago? Is it possible to make those symbols a sign that we can hang on a box or even in rooms of our base?

1. Use paint to color them (limited)

2. Make wood signs 1x1 and place them on and or above the box.

Those are the top 2 IMO to label

Another way would be (if you got time/mats), to make rooms. I have a kitchen, chem lab etc and use decor blocks to store it. Need place for meds? Make a med cabinet in furniture :)

You and I must be playing different games. Ive seen you put several times that screamers dont pop up often. But we have at MOST 4 forges running at a time, no torches cause headlamp accessory OP! If everything if running 4 forges we get at least one screamer every 5 minutes. Ran out to the desert with an Aug to mine up some sand and got about 5 of them to spawn in the 15 minutes I was there.

Perhaps because MM is playing solo and as you said it's "we" so you have more than one player on the map. This might be why you get so many screamers?

One of my crew asks if we can get parachutes for flying minibikes?

This happened to me yesterday. I figured...well ♥♥♥♥ im gonna die, so decided that I'd try to get off it at the last second and see if it worked. And indeed I did live after jumping off last second...but as it turns out if you get back on, even though its only slightly in the air, you instantly die D: Next time I'll have to try to pick it up instead :p

There is no way a screamer will spawn with what you are describing. I built a 10x10 base and upgraded a lot of blocks, etc and mine constantly and have never spawned a screamer. It takes 2 forges, 4 torches and a campfire about 12 hours to get one to come, and once you kill her it will take a long time again to get the next one.

@Madmole

There might be an exception to this ... Is the heat map also adding the heat from a biome? In my burning land playthrough, two forges have been able to bring a screamer in about 5 minutes going back to probably day 30.

If this is intended, it makes having your forges in a snow biome beneficial to reduce the chance, but burning land forge smelting will see them more often.

I could go either way, honestly.

Btw, another play started on our personal server with the wife. Still haven't seen either the snow biome or the desert now since the a18 drop, and 60 days played through now between both games.

Slightly smaller biomes might be worth considering, as new players could encounter the same experience.

@Madmole

There might be an exception to this ... Is the heat map also adding the heat from a biome? In my burning land playthrough, two forges have been able to bring a screamer in about 5 minutes going back to probably day 30.

If this is intended, it makes having your forges in a snow biome beneficial to reduce the chance, but burning land forge smelting will see them more often.

Btw, another play started on our personal server with the wife. Still haven't seen either the snow biome or the desert now since the a18 drop, and 60 days played through now between both games.

Slightly smaller biomes might be worth considering, as new players could encounter the same experience.

Are you using a pregen map? Another person who said they were getting a ton of screamers was on pregen 3. I think thats the one Im on and getting the same thing. Wondering if theres something maybe with that map thats making them come at a higher rate then intended.

Yeah but sometimes it's a bit over the top. I shot a coyote with a hunting rifle and it flew 20 m into the air ^-^

Same here, don't get me wrong, exaggerated ragdoll effects > no ragdoll at all.

But I think they should go easy on bullet power, they should drop like a sack of potatoes, not fly like balloons. lol

+ Improvements to RWG

-better lakes and rivers

-better roads

-no repeated POI's within same city

-large regions for biomes (no patchwork)

I been watching alot of streams and even generated some 4k and 8k RWG maps using different seeds and I have yet to get any thing with a river. I have seen some lakes and alot of the 8k maps seem to be one giant "island" which is nice to show where the world ends. there are no "repeated" POIs in towns and roads are alot better although i see some funky roads from time to time. It is the best I have ever seen! No more poka dot Biomes! That's really good! Has anyone gotten any rivers in A18 map yet? Also what about bridges in RWG?

@Madmole

i personally think "heat map" is comotione that zombies will investigate. not actual heat. but that may just be me

also i think that they should add a animation when the screamer is going to scream! like example she looks up in the air and screams and blood starts flying out! or something

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, don't get me wrong, exaggerated ragdoll effects > no ragdoll at all.

But I think they should go easy on bullet power, they should drop like a sack of potatoes, not fly like balloons. lol

yeah unless there's a 700 nitro or a 50 cal i dont think zombies should be launched in the air! but stuff like bombs and rocket launchers is understandable

but its funny as hell when that happens!

I'm really enjoying A18 so far.

The only little niggles I have found so far are the wood texture for wood frames etc seems a little bit too light.I'm no sure if that is a bug or it's supposed to be like that though. Oh and the door for the trader in Navesgane, near the bear bar sometimes shows as black. Would that be worth putting in the bugs forum, or is that too small and obvious an issue?jEsddRj.jpg

The other one is that the laser sight pointer is really small and not bright enough IMO.

I recall they disabled some fog because it was getting stuck on... that looks like fog tinting without the actual fog effect.

Cannot find a recipe for asphalt. Also removed? I need to fix all those roads in Navezgane!

With the new terrain shader there are limits. You can just use adaptive filler and it will look like asphalt if TFP intended it to. You just can't make a new asphalt road. You can do gravel, dirt and adaptive I think.

Two observations..

One, with two people starting out on nomad, the difficulty difference between adventurer and it is amazingly high.

With under double digit kills for two players and the first clear quest, we ran into feral military guys and wights! That was day two, again under 10 kills each. Either nomad needs to be turned down a notch or two, or there needs to be another difficulty between nomad and adventurer.

On my sp game, I *really* miss the capability to replace ground with other biome ground. That game has been 90% in burning lands, and while I can plant trees to green it up, being able to place forest grass would really be nice.

Blocks are blocks so there shouldn't be any significant performance impact, and maybe a ground helper can be made for the different ground types? Its just a quality of life thing to improve the diversity of the look of our bases.

Nomad is the same as it always was aside from rage mechanic.

IMHO you are just wasting your breath if you don't specify gamestage, options different to vanilla and the poi you visited in your quest (quest even tells you the internal name of the poi).

Here is what you replied to:

"One, with two people starting out on nomad, the difficulty difference between adventurer and it is amazingly high.

With under double digit kills for two players and the first clear quest, we ran into feral military guys and wights! That was day two, again under 10 kills each. Either nomad needs to be turned down a notch or two, or there needs to be another difficulty between nomad and adventurer."

Now on day two, with only 6-8 kills each doing our first tier 1 trader quest, with that information I quoted above, what do you logically think our gamestage was?

It was virtually a new game with almost no kills at all to raise gamestage. ;)

My comment regarding the screamers

-They attack me the same with only one forge and a single torch, on day 4 I was already attacked by a screamer, fortify my walls and the skewers do their job, then install another 2 more forges and one more torch, in total I had 3 forges and two torches, I was attacked by 2 screamers on day 5 they appear twice in a game day, they don't bother me at all, they are already pleasing me! (zombies = + exp)

I want to delete the cheerleader and football player, they are mostly immersion breaking and use that precious vram space for some more generic ones or these special blood moon zombies. Faatal was talking about some ways to add many more zombies too so these guys could help fill out those ranks. Kind of like the latest seasons of the walking dead they are more skeletal and hard to distinguish we could make a few variants and have a whole horde of these and it would look fine.

@madmole question about this?

so if this is going to be added in. will the civilian zombies get removed? or all of them cuz some fit well in some areas like the solder , worker and hazmat

or a select few?

I'm really enjoying A18 so far.

The only little niggles I have found so far are the wood texture for wood frames etc seems a little bit too light.I'm no sure if that is a bug or it's supposed to be like that though. Oh and the door for the trader in Navesgane, near the bear bar sometimes shows as black. Would that be worth putting in the bugs forum, or is that too small and obvious an issue?jEsddRj.jpg

The other one is that the laser sight pointer is really small and not bright enough IMO.

That screenshot doesn't anything like my game. Are reflections and shadows off or something?

regarding the farm plot changing. Is that just the farm plot already exist in the world not going to drop when you dig them or the one you make too?

I tend to upgrade my base and move them around if needed. It cost a hell lot of resource to make and it would be suck if you destroy them instead of getting them back.

Nope, Madmole confirmed you cannot move them, period, even with a lcb.

(Im guessing thats to prevent people cheesing obtaining them by placing a lcb in pois using them for deco.)

Archived