Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Laz Man Drop in FPS snow biom

So I was checking out the snow biom to see if my FPS dropped. Indeed it did, it went from 45fps to 20-25fps.

Upon further investigation into as to why this is happening, at least from what can be easily seen.

I think I figured out why FPS drops in the snow biom. From the looks of it, from the one area i looked at and compared to an in forest biom, FPS is dropping due to the more (excuse incorrect terminology) exaggerated wireframes of the ground compared to say forest biom ground.

Its taking a lot of processing power from the GPU in order to render the ground due to it not being smooth.

*shruggs* well thats what I see from 5 minutes of trying to figure out what is dropping the frames lol..

EDIT: I have more ideas of what could be the reason behind it but needs more in depth testing to see if those are plausible causes.

mmm the, if thats the case the problem would be in a17 too

Everything time I see your name I see NukemDAD. Dont ask me why lol

well, I am a dad, four times over. (that can be proved anyway....)

my original gamer tag was fishkiller way back when moria/rogue/hack was first a thing.

went to nukemded when I started diablo1. prefer the sorcerer, so the name seemed to fit.

killed some fish on Saturday btw :-)

ate it last night (Sunday), had the rest for lunch today. heated it in the microwave, so I nukedthedead ha ha ha

god im bored (aka back at work after a weeks leave)

@Laz Man Drop in FPS snow biom

So I was checking out the snow biom to see if my FPS dropped. Indeed it did, it went from 45fps to 20-25fps.

Upon further investigation into as to why this is happening, at least from what can be easily seen.

I think I figured out why FPS drops in the snow biom. From the looks of it, from the one area i looked at and compared to an in forest biom, FPS is dropping due to the more (excuse incorrect terminology) exaggerated wireframes of the ground compared to say forest biom ground.

Its taking a lot of processing power from the GPU in order to render the ground due to it not being smooth.

*shruggs* well thats what I see from 5 minutes of trying to figure out what is dropping the frames lol..

EDIT: I have more ideas of what could be the reason behind it but needs more in depth testing to see if those are plausible causes.

Maybe, however something causes it to come and go. The only pattern I've seen is a strong wind/fog blowing through. Prior to the last patch, I also noticed the drop climbing up a slope then going away completely after leaving and re-entering.

I will try turning off fog/snow next time I see the drop to see if it's related to that.

Two observations..

One, with two people starting out on nomad, the difficulty difference between adventurer and it is amazingly high.

With under double digit kills for two players and the first clear quest, we ran into feral military guys and wights! That was day two, again under 10 kills each. Either nomad needs to be turned down a notch or two, or there needs to be another difficulty between nomad and adventurer.

On my sp game, I *really* miss the capability to replace ground with other biome ground. That game has been 90% in burning lands, and while I can plant trees to green it up, being able to place forest grass would really be nice.

Blocks are blocks so there shouldn't be any significant performance impact, and maybe a ground helper can be made for the different ground types? Its just a quality of life thing to improve the diversity of the look of our bases.

Maybe, however something causes it to come and go. The only pattern I've seen is a strong wind/fog blowing through. Prior to the last patch, I also noticed the drop climbing up a slope then going away completely after leaving and re-entering.

I will try turning off fog/snow next time I see the drop to see if it's related to that.

My frames dropped with crystal clear weather,I made a mental note of that while observing. I did think of weather but because it was crystal clear, i pushed that down the list of possible causes in need of testing.

Do share

your findings after you try turning off weather etc.

mmm the, if thats the case the problem would be in a17 too

Honestly I never paid super close attention to exactly how smooth the ground is until now. so I have no idea if its the same in A17 as you would have had to have paid close attention to thet detail. RWG has changed in A18.

Saying my hypothesis would have to in fact be found true in A17 is a invalid statement/assumption. Unless that is the coding/algorithms that governs all perimeters of RWG snow biom, including other relevent factors, in A17 are exactly the same as they are in A18. This does not appear to be the case though.

Honestly I never paid super close attention to exactly how smooth the ground is until now. so I have no idea if its the same in A17 as you would have had to have paid close attention to thet detail. RWG has changed in A18.

Saying my hypothesis would have to in fact be found true in A17 is a invalid statement/assumption. Unless that is the coding/algorithms that governs all perimeters of RWG snow biom, including other relevent factors, in A17 are exactly the same as they are in A18. This does not appear to be the case though.

Well...we could always load up A17 again and try it out to see.

Guys?

Load up A17 and play that again to see?

Hello?

*crickets*

+ 1

I do like the new POI's & looting them is so much better without a ton of Sleepers chasing you out.

Real nice balance...

Now balance the Witch...

Or burn her at the Pointy Stick...

Fine. 50% chance to summon a demolition zombie. On death he has a 50% to summon 3 more.

Day 35 no deaths was rushing to add things before blood moon . Pack still full with my top good gear ran out of time horde came they broke in I died no backpack it disappeared . Never played with out not dropping packs but after this sting I may lol.

Whenever something weird like that happens, check the log file. There is a lot of information we put in there. Like things falling off the world. Then you know and can tells us, so we can track it down.

Turn on god mode and clip through walls to find it.

Nope. If you die on a slope the backpack can dissapear forever and not even god mode can find it. Not ever. I reported this bug along with possible reproduce steps back in b139 and received no answer nor confirmation.

Maybe has something to do with the backpack dissapearing when rolling down a sloped surface like stags did back in the day.

Please fix.

Reproduce steps:Go to the big nordic skyrim-like POI with a big triangular highly angular roof that covers it . Die on top of the roof/ in a side of it/ close to the border.

Maybe you can die a few times and can still retrieve the backpack, but if it is not stuck to the roof and the backpack falls there's a good chance you will never find it due to

1- the backpack icon doesn't take into account the rolling and signals the first known position of said backpack upon death.

2- the backpack is nowhere to be found because we don't know the projected rolling trajectory. But I did search for it the 3 times that happened and cleared every grass and block and god mode and still didn't find it.

Conclusion: backpack dissapears when rolling down a slope long enough is the only logical explanation.

Whenever something weird like that happens, check the log file. There is a lot of information we put in there. Like things falling off the world. Then you know and can tells us, so we can track it down.

I'll do the same thing the next time I lose all my vultures on a horde night, or if I shoot a bear and it tumbles through the world.

Are there any server commands / command line switches like this I can try to use to lower the IDLE CPU usage? Like disable systems server side like audio ect...

Thanks.

:EDIT: Command line switches would be better if possible, as I can apply this to all the servers at once.

I don't know of any server commands to do that. If no player is on the server it should stop updating the world. A dedicated server already disables graphics and audio output.

Is there any truth to the suggestion that the AF issue popped up between the b134 (streamer build) - b139 (experimental)?

I'm sure you know how to track it down, but have you tried b134 on your GTX960 that's having the issue? If b134 doesn't have the AF issue on the GTX960 you can start a process of elimination as to which change to b139 caused the issue.

Also you mentioned that Vulkan may become usable with the next Unity Engine update. What kind of timeline is there until the next Unity update for 7DtD, would that be Alpha 19? Vulkan already runs much faster and solves texture flickering issues with 7DtD on Linux so I'm keen.

We already looked over the changes. Texture loading and shaders were not changed between those builds.

A Unity update usually requires fixing code to deal with Unity changes and lots of testing. That would be A19, but it depends how smoothing it goes. Could sneak into a A18.x release.

Fine. 50% chance to summon a demolition zombie. On death he has a 50% to summon 3 more.

Tehe, and those 3 have a 50% chance to summon another one too, right? I still haven't met one, but I just did my day 21 horde.

Dew it. Secretly.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure how to reproduce but, huh? Preface: I had a bunch of shells sitting next to a modded shotgun, I came back some time later to that box and that was in there.

Jptt3yI.png

Hmm. Your bullets seemed to have transformed into bullets with guns with mods. Borderlands 7D2D 4?

OMG! Are you my soul's brother??

There's a LOT of work to do there and I'm glad someone else is helping! :)

Do you cut the grass too?

Restoring civilization 1 blade of grass at a time. All we need now is lemonade and an Adirondack chair block. 😎

Archived