Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Na, I'm saying my awesome pc I have now will be a potato by 2030. Hopefully before then, I'd like for them to make more progress these next 10 years than the last.

Well, I don't expect much. Silicon chips are on their top level, it is the bottleneck for your PC to go potato by 2030. Unless something new replace silicon. We need a Vibranium asteroid now..

I know the random stats thing is there, and I kinda love it. But whats up with Level 1 item is way better than level 3. I think levelling better than level 2 is good , but level 3 is little too much maybe?

I love that it can swing so much, keeps looting much more interesting in long games. An old ass Henry rifle is still gonna be better than a brand new Jennings any day. Just how I look at it.

Too bad they don't have random/made up manufacturer names for items. Kinda like how Diablo names their loot.

Too bad they don't have random/made up manufacturer names for items. Kinda like how Diablo names their loot.

Well, TFP isn't big enough to punch out hundreds of model variations to make random parts/manufacturers look as good as in Borderlands. =)

Well, TFP isn't big enough to punch out hundreds of model variations to make random parts/manufacturers look as good as in Borderlands. =)

No new models, just randomly generated names. Just like multiple gun manufactures make AR15s in real life. Only difference is the manufactures name and materials used (random stats). Legendary items could be manufactured by the Fun Pimps :fat: they would be the Rolls Royce of gun/tool makers.

Playing video typically uses the GPU to decode and some of its VRAM is used. You can see that in task manger on the Details tab, if you add the GPU columns. A18 uses more VRAM, so the competition for VRAM on your computer is higher, which is why lowering texture quality helps.

Lowering or turning off AF helps, since it is much slower to filter the texture if the texture is in system RAM instead of VRAM.

Hopefully Vulkan will not crash once we update Unity, since 2019.2+ have Vulkan fixes.

Sure enough...

vBm8Y7B.jpg

While playing the game and watching a video, the Video Decode area had some activity, but my 3D was only utilizing roughly 50%. As soon as the video was paused and I switched to another tab, 3D shot up to around 100%. It just bugs me that this is the only game I have this issue with. I would play games like Destiny 2 or Metro: Exodus on MAX settings while watching videos, no problems. This game, even if my video settings are all down to their lowest including texture quality, super choppy. Different games, different engines, all things I have no clue tech-wise how it all works, so not a whole lot I can guess on there.

I forgot to mention as well, I notice this issue as soon as I enter the main menu. I don't have to be in the game world at all, I can tell just by hovering over the main menu options that it's choppy. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it's something I noticed.

I'm really enjoying A18 so far.

The only little niggles I have found so far are the wood texture for wood frames etc seems a little bit too light.I'm no sure if that is a bug or it's supposed to be like that though. Oh and the door for the trader in Navesgane, near the bear bar sometimes shows as black. Would that be worth putting in the bugs forum, or is that too small and obvious an issue?jEsddRj.jpg

The other one is that the laser sight pointer is really small and not bright enough IMO.

The suggestion was not to make model/parts, just random name. So instead of saying Pistol in title bar it can say, "Gazz's Pistol", or "Mole in Hole

pistol"..since they are not stacked item it can save extra few string attach to each such item. And yes, it is useless fun thing. Makes no difference in game play. But it denote the Randomize characteristics better.

The suggestion was not to make model/parts, just random name. So instead of saying Pistol in title bar it can say, "Gazz's Pistol", or "Mole in Hole

pistol"..since they are not stacked item it can save extra few string attach to each such item. And yes, it is useless fun thing. Makes no difference in game play. But it denote the Randomize characteristics better.

Yup, exactly. This and being able to rename weapons/tools/items would just be dumb fun, like all good games are:tickled_pink:

not sure how to reproduce but, huh? Preface: I had a bunch of shells sitting next to a modded shotgun, I came back some time later to that box and that was in there.

Jptt3yI.png

I saw similar in my game, where all food item get Color Mod added to them, yes, raw meat, egg all get the Red Color as they get modded. In fact a chest got curshed, and any food item i put in it, get red color... Well vampires are happy now. (it was in b139) so might be solved now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, exactly. This and being able to rename weapons/tools/items would just be dumb fun, like all good games are:tickled_pink:

Pay 50 Duke coin to name your gun, and that Trader NPC is happy now.. lol

I really enjoy playing A18, it got me hooked to the game again.

Maybe the ragdolling effect after being hit by a bullet should be reduced a not? Or is it natural to shoot a coyote with a hunting gun, after which it flies 20 m into the air (straight up). I mean.. i'm a geologist, so I don't know much about physics of course :)

Is there any truth to the suggestion that the AF issue popped up between the b134 (streamer build) - b139 (experimental)?

We already looked over the changes. Texture loading and shaders were not changed between those builds.

On streamer weekend I was watching Asrac_tv, he avoided the desert biome because of very low fps, sometimes in the single digits.

In other biomes he was fine. As noted on his Youtube page he's using an I7 with GTX 980 / 4 GB, not high end but also not such a potato.

So I think the issue was already in b134.

regarding the farm plot changing. Is that just the farm plot already exist in the world not going to drop when you dig them or the one you make too?

I tend to upgrade my base and move them around if needed. It cost a hell lot of resource to make and it would be suck if you destroy them instead of getting them back.

Tehe, and those 3 have a 50% chance to summon another one too, right? I still haven't met one, but I just did my day 21 horde.

You better get a supply of armor-piercing ammo. These guys are real tanks. The damage of normal ammunition is reduced by 40% and hollow point bullets do no damage at all.

Turn on god mode and clip through walls to find it.

Regarding missing backpacks, I died in a game of A18 b139 (I think, the previous one anyway) and went to the backpack marker. There was nothing there, it was in the desert outdoors so no roofs or anything. I used god mode to clip downwards to look below to see if it sunk somewhere or something but even though I could always see the marker the backpack was never to be found. I lost all of my best items and just deleted that game and have since been playing no drops.

@Laz Man

Did a little further testing in the snow biom. After doing a bunch of combinations of graphic settings, and eventually ending up in turning almost everything off, shadows, reflection, ssao, shadow reflection etc. Regardless of the graphic settings, the drop in frames always happened. The only thing I cannot seem to turn off is whatever the heck governs this effect (sorta looks like lighting and reflections should govern this)see pics. Whatever that specific effect is called, i lack the terminology, might have something to do with the drop in fps. Further testing needed...

Observation note: Did not see any noticeable drop in frames from fog and snow weather effects in my game.

20191014030443-1.jpg

20191014030415-1.jpg

I am having a FPS drop in the desert when I have textures up to full. In the forest biome I have around 35 to 65 usually 45 to 50 FPS but I drop to around 15 FPS in the desert. I haven't been around the snow biomes yet with full textures so I have no ides if I suffer FPS drops there as well. I only get those drops when I have full textures set, on half I don't have any FPS drops at all but the game looks bad.

Archived