Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

FALSE.

My idea about implementing shounen ai dating simulation elements, where you transform into a train and romance other male trains, is obviously the superior idea, and also the right direction for this game.

For truly, only the hearts of male trains will carry us out of this bleak apocalypse, along the tracks of love...

Wow.

Now I will agree that customer service speech is not Madmole's strong suit. He is blunt and is not concerned at all with bruising someone's ego. Some have a desire that he not interact directly but hire a public relations front man who can disseminate all of his talking points with a plastic smile and hearty handshake for all.

@Roland

I have heard that said over the years. Hell when I first discovered this forum many many years ago my first impression of MM was damn this dude needs a PR rep lol. Once I seen how much he interacts with the community and that his interactions do not have a negative impact on sales, I was like huh I hope he never hires a PR guy. Anyone that knows Madmole a little knows he can be rough around the edges and thats not necessarily a bad thing. He can also be hard headed at times, although it may appear at times that MM is flat out rejecting something. When in fact if what is being said has some value or merit to it, MM will think about it later and ask others opinions on the subject matter and do the proper research if needed.

The sad part is, MM is not like most other developers in regards to his level of interaction with the players and his approach to being as open as he can with the on going development of the game, and many do not see this.

I think a lot of people do not see nor understand that he opened a window for all his players, wether it be a casual that plays 1-2 hours a week, dedicated or hardcore players that have racked up thousands of hours on 7 Days To Die to be a part of the development. What I mean by that is, anyone can jump on this forum and throw an idea at MM or give an opinion and it could have an impact on the game. That to me is special.

The funny thing is all the people the hate on and publicaly trash talk MM for his honest, direct and firm way of interacting know not what they are doing. There will come a day when either, one Madmole gets burnt out from keeping that window open for players to easily contact him. Or Two, God willing, his company The Fun Pimps grows to be a multi-billion dollar company that puts out tons of AAA titles and all his time will be taken up by running the company and it simply just will not be possible for him to interact with the community on the level that he does now. When that day comes and MM is no longer easily accessible by the players, the people who gave MM ♥♥♥♥ or bad mouth him or wished he would get a PR rep will be the first to miss him.

As the old saying goes, you don't know what you have until you no longer have it. :) I was not going to post on this section of the forums anymore, I prefer just reading it, but once I seen your comment I had to give my thoughts lol. *goes back to lurkin*

EDIT: Side note, from the time I first started reading this forum until now, MM has improved a lot in the area of public interaction. How he was 5 years ago, when I first spoke with him, compared to how he is now in 2019 is is IMO drastically better, that shows me he is growing in wisdom and knowledge. He remind me of a young Joe Rogan. I do not doubt he will master that art of charisma.

"Charisma is a sparkle in people that money can't buy. It's an invisible energy with visible effects."

-Marianne Williamson

Hmm can we get a sawmill workbench? Doesn't make logical sense to make planks with your bear hands. Yeah it would be extremely inconvenient and a waste of dev time but hey, at least it would line up with reality :D

I don't understand this adversity to the tire recipe. Like who cares. Acid and coal? Sure, it makes a tire, why does it matter specifically how it was crafted? Do you want a minibike or not? The air compressing station idea is not good at all, sorry.

We cant block day one builders from crafting a simple wood frame by a sawmill either, for the same point we can't do the air compressing station.

@madmole An acid trap of sorts, maybe? (One that expels acid as a weapon - perhaps as a burning, flesh-eating chemical spray - and it takes several acid to fuel it, like gas into a vehicle/generator. Or it could act as a late-game form of barbed wire, temporarily blinding and stunning zombies and slowing them down a considerable amount.) *Shrugs*

We still have a flamethrower trap to get working.

iv died by that so many times

thats why i stay away from treasure quest lol

I stopped jumping down in the hole, now I dig a large hole that always has at least one ramped edge out I can get in and out of fast and I've been able to get away. At least until I get a turret to watch the hole.

Devs trying to get a feel for the community's desires and opinions is extremely important but that's not what's

happening here. This isn't a poll or even a pseudo poll (like reddit upvotes), this is a debate with 1 or 2

people over design decisions, meaning that this isn't necessarily what anyone wants.

As an example, imo and my experience in playing with my friends and family, no one wants to deal with this tire thing. Who wants tires to be gated behind some unnecessary process or a recipe with new one time use items before they can finally make a vehicle and stop having to run everywhere?

I have my criticisms with the game, we all do, no game is perfect. But when it goes back and forth a couple

times and the dev makes it clear they disagree with your design choice/opinion, that's the time to stop unless

it is clear you hold the community's opinion and there are many others who agree. That's not white knighting

the devs or disparaging the modders just because of 1 design choice

These are the forums so naturally there will be more hardcore and dedicated players here, but if you held a poll

right now I get the feeling even the hardcore players wouldn't want it, much less the millions of others who play this game

Now let's please stop talking about this lol

This. We're protecting the average players and future content that we know people would want to use. WHo doesn't want an industrial forge with 6 burn slots, a cool model, less heat map, and faster crafting speeds?

"Originally Posted by Zombie_Jam View Post

Btw, what does make something a garbage decision?"

I dunno. You tell me. You were the one who said they sometimes add garbage. Let us know what you consider to be garbage they added and why? I only repeated "garbage" because you brought it up so I'm not sure what you were thinking.

You should have posted your previous avatar as answer, where you look angry on a question asked with eyes saying "wut???",that would have put him on a place.

No bad feelings Zombie_Jam, keep kicking :)

FALSE.

My idea about implementing shounen ai dating simulation elements, where you transform into a train and romance other male trains, is obviously the superior idea, and also the right direction for this game.

For truly, only the hearts of male trains will carry us out of this bleak apocalypse, along the tracks of love...

I knew there was a genre missing in 7D2D. Just couldn't put my finger on it.

Hehe small stones could work. I could lend you Bert, my dolomite pet-rock. Only if you swear to walk him twice a day though!

I can only accept housebroken pets and your dolomite rock sounds like a very wild specimen. Could be a rocky relationship and lots of work. Dolomite-dust in hiddenite corners, it might lose its apatite if not being fed with dolomite snow, ...

This. We're protecting the average players and future content that we know people would want to use. WHo doesn't want an industrial forge with 6 burn slots, a cool model, less heat map, and faster crafting speeds?

I'd be happy with the forge just having 3 slots for now.. make it so!. Seen lots of mods do it, and it makes the game a tad less of a grind.

Yeah that would be sick. Hell I loved the big forge in Starvation mod and that one only had 3 slots so sign me up lol. Would add a little bit of progression too

I stopped jumping down in the hole, now I dig a large hole that always has at least one ramped edge out I can get in and out of fast and I've been able to get away. At least until I get a turret to watch the hole.

yeah do the same but for me i always get crappy stuff the best thing iv found was a level 5 pistol and a military plate

(granted idk what most of the loot is) but iv just never thought they were worth it lol

- - - Updated - - -

screw that i want all the zombies to come swarming in like a Wave at sea

a small price to pay for some steel or Bulletproof glass

@mm

"Automatic Weapons: Incendiary ammo Can craft short range explosive rounds, great for raiding buildings and doing mass damage up close."

so is there incendiary and frag rounds ? or they incendiary ammo act like frag rounds?

and will there be versions for shotguns like dragons breath , bird shot etc?

No I think those got changed. THere are breacher rounds for shotguns that can decimate a safe fast.

Then I already know what I wish for Christmas ;)

No I think those got changed. THere are breacher rounds for shotguns that can decimate a safe fast.

ill uses those to break down doors and zombies lol

also you know what would be funny?

if alpha 18 come's out on the 7th on monday.......................... ik im not funny

if you dont get the joke its has something to do with horde night.

FALSE.

I stand my my statement, I never saw you idea :)

@Roland

...snip...

Sometimes I wonder why MM lets some things go on for a while...

1. I've been lurkin for several years and read EVERY SINGLE POST in Dev Diaries (and bug reports and mods and...) since A14, and something you notice after a while is that certain ideas/suggestions/etc get replayed quite a bit. And yet, MM almost always gives multiple notices for orseyness.

1b: You also learn to spot those who don't read every post and just start responding to the last couple they see when they log in or in real time...

2. You can't miss how many people suggest things without trying to think about things from 'outside the box'. Something I try to do is assume the 'other side' and start thinking about reasons that might justify that. (Reality/Immersion vs game design/broad appeal...)

3. It's amazing how many people push buttons (and continually act as if their voice is the only voice) and eventually say "I am just passionate for the game". Even if MM was as 'brusk' as some might suggest, wouldn't he be allowed the same defense?

Even more so because it's HIS (TFP's) game?

4. Who cares why MM says to stop discussing something? (Design, playability, insight, yadda) He is one of the 3 originals and represent the true owners of the game. I could care less if he knows more about anything in the game or design or anything than I do. If he (or any TFP person) were to suggest that I change my thinking or ways for any reason, I am going to show I can adapt and try do so.

And I only have 7000+ hours in this 'silly ass' game. ; - )

Archived