Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm a huge fan of the traders. But legendary loot should never be for sale on them.

Or

Maybe have them show up as the level 5 better bartering perk. That would be cool. Nit they should still be uber expensive.

There should also never be more then one for sale at any given time plus it should be a rare. The player should never be able to buy 1 legendary item every time the trader refreshes his secret stash otherwise it will diminish the incentive to quest/loot.

Damnit.. I thought I would have convinced you by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I have no boundaries, man :) But SnowDog said he hasn't decided yet.. Maybe you need to.. convince.. him?

*Points to dressing room*

*Points to Borat-style green-fluorescent G-string*

He said naked. So naked it'll be!

How about master chef perk taking off the chance for food poisoning. Would make sense in so many ways, shocked it's not in there.

I actually don't understand why master chef and Living of the land are one thing. If I am good at cooking, I have understanding of plants better and how to harvest them, no? And yes it should should reduce of food poisioning too if not much at least to max 25% (5% on each upgrade).

Hmmm...that's not how Madmole explained it the new horde night death functionality.

He said that if you die on a horde night, gps is turned off until you attack a zombie.

Which is what it is actually supposed to be?

When the feature was first announced TFP said that the gps would turn off and stay off unless a zombie detects you. Initially they said sight and sound could trigger the bloodmoon horde to restart.

Just made a bicycle for the first time ever. Not complaining but it is night and day difference vs. Running around (especially since you can continue to sprint even with 0 stamina, bug I assume).

On foot, there was the threat of the occasional zombie, the new mountain lion (I'm in the snow biome) and sometimes a wandering horde.

On a bike, and I assume any vehicle, you can get almost god like status and the threat level goes way down. I'm sure this isnt a new thing to A18 but maybe something to consider...

...I will play with the bicycle and other vehicles more to see how I feel later. Might just be knee jerking...I did have to perk into work stations in order to build one so there definitely was a trade off for the ability. I guess, at the end of the day I could also just increase the difficulty. 😅

The stun batons damage is underwhelming. I'm going full intelligence build, but I stopped using it because iron club does twice as much damage with no perk investment.

One way to make the stun baton more interesting is if at the level 5 perk level you unlocked an aoe shock ability.

There should also never be more then one for sale at any given time plus it should be a rare. The player should never be able to buy 1 legendary item every time the trader refreshes his secret stash otherwise it will diminish the incentive to quest/loot.

The trader should never have any legendary item. That's bad for the game.

Unless you have a 2030 cpu it will take longer than 10 minutes to do properly. I have a really fast pc and it takes 15 minutes I think to cook an 8k world, if it goes faster you got the bug. Post your system specs please.

Or just generate it with a dedi, it takes longer but doesn't screw up. Or play pregen01 or 2.

HP Omen 880-008 nb

Intel core i7

16GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

8GB videocard

4,2 GHz up to 4,5GHz

How do I slow down my generation process? Seems like it’s done between 10-12 minutes each time.

Unless you have a 2030 cpu it will take longer than 10 minutes to do properly. I have a really fast pc and it takes 15 minutes I think to cook an 8k world, if it goes faster you got the bug. Post your system specs please.

Or just generate it with a dedi, it takes longer but doesn't screw up. Or play pregen01 or 2.

I also got the RWG generation bug. I have a couple of areas that are combed. I didn’t time the generation process but it took over 10 minutes. Here are my specs:

i7-4790k

32 GB Ram

SSD

Nvidia GTX 1070

The stun batons damage is underwhelming. I'm going full intelligence build, but I stopped using it because iron club does twice as much damage with no perk investment.

One way to make the stun baton more interesting is if at the level 5 perk level you unlocked an aoe shock ability.

I wonder if the stun baton damage is being balanced on the assumption your using junk turrets a well.

Knives feel very lackluster aswell. People even reported there's a bug with the stacking of bleed effects. Aside from that, bleeding feels very poor by design in a game like this when other weapons just do raw damage to one shot a zombie.

No, with actual OCPD, using the sort button would trigger you because both the order and placement is automatically wrong.

I don't use the sort button because it puts items in a completely arbitrary order instead of keeping the food/drink items in the lower right corner or whatever is "right".

yeah, inventory sort drives me insane. though i keep my consumables in bottom left and i keep things like ammo in top right.

what i like the most about the sort button in 7 days to die is that i've yet to ever notice it so i didn't even know it existed until now.

nothing worse than a sort button that's easy to accidentally hit.

Knives feel very lackluster as well. People even reported there's a bug with the stacking of bleed effects. Aside from that, bleeding feels very poor by design in a game like this when other weapons just do raw damage to one shot a zombie.

yea same with the spear but opposite. @whoever does it, add that if you have X amount or less of stamina that you CANNOT throw the spear.

(like how all other melee weapons work)

Also, can you add variation damage according to how full the green throw bar is/how long you hold the spear? I can spam right click on a downed zed and just do the max power attack damage and mutilated a zed when they're down and it is WAY too easy. Knocked over a biker with one throw then proceeded to literally just baby drop my spear on his chest and 4 hits was dead.

I also got the RWG generation bug. I have a couple of areas that are combed. I didn’t time the generation process but it took over 10 minutes. Here are my specs:

i7-4790k

32 GB Ram

SSD

Nvidia GTX 1070

Faatal stated several pages back that nVidia cards are the issue somehow. It's fixed and should be ok when the next patch drops!

Buffing Mining would be excellent! especially since it is part of the mining books.

I love mining in A18, the textures are great and the ore easier to follow.

I literally need just book 1 from the mining series to get all 7 and i just keep gettign dups of the stupid coffee book. FFS I drink enough as is game and in IRL CMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

that illustrates the dramatic lack of DPS that dual turrets has vs all other weapon specs in an easily digestible visual format. I have a Reddit thread here that outlines the issues I see affecting turrets and my own spitballed ideas. Stun Batons are in a similar situation regarding lack of DPS relative to other options (and their stun isn't much better than knockdown). I do not want stun batons or turrets to be overpowered, but I'd like them to be able to stand on their own relatively competitive to other weapon specs. I'm willing to carry around 3 turrets (2 placed, 1 handheld) to try and be competitive for the unique playstyle, but right now that's not viable with manual only reloads for placed turrets even when spec'd and terrible handheld performance with sickness inducing recoil on a fast firing weapon.

I've done this testing, provided the video for clear illustration, and listed known issues to give proper feedback and information for you guys to work with Gazz/Madmole. I'm sure you'll come up with your own solutions but I hope this helps and I look forwards to seeing intellect tree buffs both in terms of weapons an in terms of making skills useful beyond just unlocks.

that illustrates the dramatic lack of DPS that dual turrets has vs all other weapon specs in an easily digestible visual format. I have a Reddit thread here that outlines the issues I see affecting turrets and my own spitballed ideas. Stun Batons are in a similar situation regarding lack of DPS relative to other options (and their stun isn't much better than knockdown). I do not want stun batons or turrets to be overpowered, but I'd like them to be able to stand on their own relatively competitive to other weapon specs. I'm willing to carry around 3 turrets (2 placed, 1 handheld) to try and be competitive for the unique playstyle, but right now that's not viable with manual only reloads for placed turrets even when spec'd and terrible handheld performance with sickness inducing recoil on a fast firing weapon.

I've done this testing, provided the video for clear illustration, and listed known issues to give proper feedback and information for you guys to work with Gazz/Madmole. I'm sure you'll come up with your own solutions but I hope this helps and I look forwards to seeing intellect tree buffs both in terms of weapons an in terms of making skills useful beyond just unlocks.

Will watch video later when I can but I dont think the junk turrets are meant to be stronger then the other turrets. I am planning going to go deep in the int tree in my current playthrough and will share my experiences.

Every tree i believe has 3 weps except INT, maybe just had a small hand held gun type, hell, make it simple like a flamethrower eventually? all chemical/mechanical based weaponry

I feel like that is where it is lacking is a legit gun in the INT tree that doesnt give whip lash when firing from the hip

Every tree i believe has 3 weps except INT, maybe just had a small hand held gun type, hell, make it simple like a flamethrower eventually? all chemical/mechanical based weaponry

I feel like that is where it is lacking is a legit gun in the INT tree that doesnt give whip lash when firing from the hip

Well a flamethrower is already referenced in the game files and sometimes talked about by the devs, so it's most likely coming.

It would make a perfect fit for the INT tree.

Will watch video later when I can but I dont think the junk turrets are meant to be stronger then the other turrets. I am planning going to go deep in the int tree in my current playthrough and will share my experiences.

tl;dr version for you is that turrets require the same skill point investment as other weapons but have much lower DPS and many more limitations/downsides. I spawn in 25 feral bikers and mow them down with various weapons, only allowing AP ammo for marksman rifle (since that's the entire thing of perception tree guns really). M60 clears the group in 35 seconds, Marksman Rifle, SMG, AK clear the group in 50-60 seconds, Pump Shotgun clears the group in 82 seconds, Turrets Clear the group in like 113 seconds.

So IF handheld turret wasn't absolute garbage and IF you didn't have to manually pick up and reload the turrets at full spec your killing power would be between Shotguns and everything else with 3 turrets (2 placed + 1 handheld). But as is turrets lag woefully behind everything else with both more limitations and DPS that is almost 50% less than the next worst contender.

Archived