Please GET RID of Alpha 17

barthy

So if alpha 17 is the way 7days will be i have 2 full servers of people that already Quit.. Normally you update games for better NOT FOR WORST as alpha 17 did.. i mean what did you think... i dont even know what to say anymore EVERY NEW FEATURE is a failure.. besides the rides and still anyway since i have nothing positive to say i ll just end here and hope that all this was just a bad dream...

Love it or hate it, Alpha 17 will take time to fix with how many huge changes to fundamental gameplay aspects there were. Why not roll back to Alpha 16 and continue having fun while you wait for them to polish Alpha 17 or Alpha 18 to come out? You can do so by right clicking 7 Days to Die in your Steam library, going to properties, then the betas tab and selecting Alpha 16.4 Stable.

Well, nothing like specific feedback....

Now, before I have to delete any more posts, to the OP, I would say this:

If you'd like to provide some specific feedback about what you did and did not like about A17's current (experimental) release, then perhaps it could spark a useful conversation and some debate on the merits or otherwise of A17....

And a note to everyone, please keep it civil and free of ad hominem.

I had stopped playing alpha 16 but alpha 17 has sparked my interest again because it actually makes the game difficult. 16 on the hardest settings was still baby mode, now I am actually worried about going into buildings and taking my time. I hated that I could basically have all I needed to survive after about 3 days, now it actually takes some work and that is brilliant!

It doesn't matter what we think, TfP are just going to continue down the road with A17 as is. If they cared, they wouldn't have wasted a year on Unity.

As far as I'm concerned 7 Days ended with A16.4. That's a shame because there were real improvements which could have been made there (making electricity more useful, more vehicles, crafting brass etc) but no, we have a huge focus on "textures". 7 Days A16.4 wasn't an ugly game. Instead of going for content, they went for visuals and that's why I don't like A17.

The perk system makes no sense in A17. In A16 the combination of buying perks but improving skills by using them was excellent. Now, you kill zombies for xp and put points in cooking?! They aren't even in any sensible order. Cooking with forges? Living off the land no where need the cooking skill?

Multiplayer is almost required in A17. I have 800 hours solo in A16 and about the same MP. I won't do that in A17 because there is far too much grind now for solo play.

What on earth happened to the maps in A17? Why are there only three zones (cold, forest and hot)? If you want to be realistic shouldn't that have been cold, forest, hot, forest, cold? Why are the maps so small now? From 10k radius to an 8k square?! A change presumably because of Unity's memory use? Frankly, I'd rather have the ability to explore. 8k I can do in a day and half even walking. You've put vehicles in which aren't needed because you nerfed the map.

I LOVED looting zombies. The rare drops in A17 doesn't make it fun anymore. You kill something and generally you get nothing except for XP. Well I don't want to XP grind. I liked the varied gameplay in A16 ... loot one day, kill another, craft a different day, explore. To me, A17 doesn't have that. You will kill zombies for XP and that's it.

And what on earth happened with the deer? Did the person who saw that ever see a deer? Just rename it a sheep.

The modifiers were a nice idea but that doesn't make up for all of the backwards steps made with A17.

Thankfully there is the mod launcher and I'll stick with either A16.4 or one of the mods. A17 is not fun despite what all

>Snip By OzHawkeye - Keep it civil please< say.

>Snip By OzHawkeye - Keep it civil please<

I wasn't going to respond until you called those of us who actually like a challenge + the idea of survival and such "fanbois". They've broken records with concurrent player counts, forums blowing up with excitement, players who quit during a16 return to play again (myself included). I see that's a common trend in those who liked the zombies being as much of a threat as water killing you in a rain-storm, reaching end-game on day 2, and generally wanted the game to be a casual stroll in the park sight-seeing game: anyone else who likes 17 are "fanbois" and are clearly "wrong" or "lel fookin hardcore elitist ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥". You called anyone who enjoys 17 fanbois, yet mad about "dissenting voices aren't welcome here".

>Snip By OzHawkeye - Keep it civil please<

Taken in totality, A17 is far superior to A16.

It has some bad balance issues. It has some gamestage issues. Some stuff is sketchy on whether it works (shared quests are very touch and go.) RWG is a mess.

But all told it's SO much more interesting and engaging.

I wasn't going to respond until you called those of us who actually like a challenge + the idea of survival and such "fanbois". They've broken records with concurrent player counts, forums blowing up with excitement, players who quit during a16 return to play again (myself included). I see that's a common trend in those who liked the zombies being as much of a threat as water killing you in a rain-storm, reaching end-game on day 2, and generally wanted the game to be a casual stroll in the park sight-seeing game: anyone else who likes 17 are "fanbois" and are clearly "wrong" or "lel fookin hardcore elitist ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥". You called anyone who enjoys 17 fanbois, yet mad about "dissenting voices aren't welcome here".

Those happy with a17 always asume what we dont like is the difficulty. You even say you like a survival game. I think the game went from a survival+crafting game into a combat with some survival and crafting game. And that's what I dont like. Not the difficulty increase. I dont find zombies harder (regular zombies even easier). I just need to be fighting them for ages, bc the game keeps spitting zombies at me, and this shouldnt be the focus of a crafting+survival game IMO.

I dont hate a17, and I like several things of it. But I dont like the direction the game is taking, making beeing fighting zombies all the time like the main content.

For example, new POIs are amazing. But I want some of them. Not 3 out of 4 POIs to be a frikin dungeon, even if those dungeons are cool. If I want to constantly do dungeons, there are far better games out there. So, while a nice addition, keep most POIs as they were, and add some dungeons. That would improve 7d2d but dont change it into a type of game where other games do better.

They have the best defense building game there is, and in a17 they try to move away from it...

Was the word fanboi really censored here? Wow. New low. Everything is fair game to smash down critics?

Also saying i like nothing from the new stuff besides vehicles is specific. Not the users job to figure out how to do it better. That´s the devs job.

To all who say it´s more than ever who play it: That´s because there was over a year of waiting. Only stable can show how popular it is.

And i have never seen more critics than on this alpha version in this forum. So yeah. It´s for sure NOT their best update.

They listened too much to people with 1k plus hours and went waaaay too much into the FPS genre. (Not talking about XP here)

Also relying on polls with merely 300 people (And half of that are over 1k hours) when you have at least 50K players is...., well i will let it open here, fill in whatever comes to your mind.

I am around in this forum for a while now and rarely comment to any topics because discussions like that, where you disagree with the devs decisions, will end 99% of the time with always the same people telling you, you are totally wrong. If I want a real discussion about 7 days to die there are places outside this forum where I can have that. But not here. Its all about drawing a positiv picture to the public. And negativ reviews like the op´s one are not realy welcome. Thats what I learned here over the last years. So I come to the forum only to get some information about news and mods and thats mostly it.

People will form an opinion on what they experience in the game no matter what. And they will most likely stick to it no matter what. Its an illusion to think that, just because a part of the community hypes A17, the rest can be convinced to like it too. Same goes the other way around. In my opinion A17 is splitting the community tremendously. People feel obligated to post their view because the dig between the people who loves the new changes and the one who doesn´t gets bigger and bigger with almost every new update.

If TFP thinks this is the way to go then be it.

So if alpha 17 is the way 7days will be i have 2 full servers of people that already Quit.. Normally you update games for better NOT FOR WORST as alpha 17 did.. i mean what did you think... i dont even know what to say anymore EVERY NEW FEATURE is a failure.. besides the rides and still anyway since i have nothing positive to say i ll just end here and hope that all this was just a bad dream...

"I don't understand the changes and I refuse to adapt to them, therefore I will quit soon".

Well, guess what?

You already paid and 7d is not MMO nor a subscription service.

No one wil miss you, no one will notice if you go.

That kind of rants usually pop when exploits suddenly no longer work, so sorry for you and your buddies not being able to exploit the game in A17 as you could in previous alphas.

Adapt or extinct.

"I don't understand the changes and I refuse to adapt to them, therefore I will quit soon".

Well, guess what?

You already paid and 7d is not MMO nor a subscription service.

No one wil miss you, no one will notice if you go.

That kind of rants usually pop when exploits suddenly no longer work, so sorry for you and your buddies not being able to exploit the game in A17 as you could in previous alphas.

Adapt or extinct.

So much wrongness in such a little post.

1. As you may have noticed in the forums, he is absolutly not the only one not happy with a17 direction

2. Not an mmo nor subscription service? What does that mean? Developers dont need to care about players wishes anymore? Why are they even making updates then?

3. Exploits not working? Thats what you understand of all the posts not happy about a17? I bet it isnt, it's just a way of trolling ppl writing tons of arguments about what they dislike. Actually, new base design encourages exploiting the AI much more than in a16, so not sure what you are even talking about. If it's about the digging zombies, sure, that was a good change. Not likeing a17 direction doesnt mean every change wasnt good.

4. beeing able to adapt to changes dont make those changes good. Can I just spend most of my time fighting instead of playing a survival+crafting focused game? Sure. But I dont like it.

Was the word fanboi really censored here? Wow. New low. Everything is fair game to smash down critics?

If it is then because it's typically used as a personal attack. See forum rules.

Also saying i like nothing from the new stuff besides vehicles is specific. Not the users job to figure out how to do it better. That´s the devs job.

"Everything is a failure" is an objectively false statement because the majority seems to enjoy the game.

Starting with a statement like that and no information whatsoever is a rant, not an invitation for discussion.

Also, it looks like a lot of players are viewing the experimental version as "the A17".

The hope is always that players who do opt in voluntarily can make that disconnect between an experimental version with plenty of bugs and balancing issues and a stable version.

Taken in totality, A17 is far superior to A16.

It has some bad balance issues. It has some gamestage issues. Some stuff is sketchy on whether it works (shared quests are very touch and go.) RWG is a mess.

But all told it's SO much more interesting and engaging.

I agree with Faycat here, you have to remember this is a experemental build, it still hasn't gotten a proper balance pass at all yet, and as its experemental there are issues, lots of them, they did bascally remake the entire game for the most part. Only issues i've really had with RWG was the lack of skyscrapers, and the fact some poi's spawn 1 block above the ground and they collapse the second the player walks close.

Imo the worst aspect of a17e is the perk system, every game I play I pretty much use the same build as I am bascally forced to. High str/int/fort, no real perception, and mostly just agility's base stat, even then, I just don't got enough perk points. Its hard to specilize when everything is level gated so much. I don't mind the crafting stuff being level gated much, gives a sense of progression. But stuff like, motherload, pack mule, miner 69'er 3 essental skills for any build pretty much being level gated hurts.

every game I play I pretty much use the same build as I am bascally forced to.

No, you're not. You choose to do the exact same thing every time.

But that's fine. You do you.

I just don't got enough perk points.

Of course not!

In A16 there were plenty of times where I had skill points stacking up and nothing useful to buy. That clearly did not work.

I agree with Faycat here, you have to remember this is a experemental build, it still hasn't gotten a proper balance pass at all yet, and as its experemental there are issues, lots of them, they did bascally remake the entire game for the most part. Only issues i've really had with RWG was the lack of skyscrapers, and the fact some poi's spawn 1 block above the ground and they collapse the second the player walks close.

Imo the worst aspect of a17e is the perk system, every game I play I pretty much use the same build as I am bascally forced to. High str/int/fort, no real perception, and mostly just agility's base stat, even then, I just don't got enough perk points. Its hard to specilize when everything is level gated so much. I don't mind the crafting stuff being level gated much, gives a sense of progression. But stuff like, motherload, pack mule, miner 69'er 3 essental skills for any build pretty much being level gated hurts.

I don't think any of them are essential, but - pack mule in particular - they are highly desirable for any character 'type' a player wants to create, definitely. Perhaps the intended solution is the use of mods, but those too are level gated behind intelligence. Hmm, maybe T1 mods should be more readily available from the trader? Perhaps instead of taking whatever quest and ending up with a random reward, we should be able to pick the item we'd like to get and that determines the difficulty of the quest?

1. As you may have noticed in the forums, he is absolutly not the only one not happy with a17 direction

2. Not an mmo nor subscription service? What does that mean? Developers dont need to care about players wishes anymore? Why are they even making updates then?

3. Exploits not working? Thats what you understand of all the posts not happy about a17? I bet it isnt, it's just a way of trolling ppl writing tons of arguments about what they dislike. Actually, new base design encourages exploiting the AI much more than in a16, so not sure what you are even talking about. If it's about the digging zombies, sure, that was a good change. Not likeing a17 direction doesnt mean every change wasnt good.

4. beeing able to adapt to changes dont make those changes good. Can I just spend most of my time fighting instead of playing a survival+crafting focused game? Sure. But I dont like it.

1. Something you may have learned in school, or if you ever worked in retail at all, the negative ninnies are always louder. You will hear more from the negatives that you will from the positives.

Why?

Because the tens of thousands of people who are happy with the changes, are out there owning it. They're aren't here being salty.

2. Who said that? No one. Did you ever read the Steam EA FAQ? Might try taking a stab at doing that again.

What is the game like to play right now?

When you buy an Early Access game, you should consider what the game is like to play right now. Look at the screenshots and videos to see what the game looks like in its current state. There are a lot of ways a game can go as it develops over time, so if you aren't excited to play the game in its current state, then hold off and wait until the next update--it shouldn't be far off.

This works the other way as well. If you aren't happy with the games current update, go play the older version you are happy with.

3. It's been a pretty common factor. People aren't happy that they have to actually face a challenge in a survival game. Go figure. They aren't happy that the way the devs want the game to be, don't match with their own personal views.

4. As stated previously, you're free to go play earlier versions. You're also free to go play Minecraft, Rust, Dayz, or whatever other game floats your boat.

The point is, that this is an Alpha title that is still undergoing changes to its core features. When you buy into EA, you buy into participating in that process, for good or bad. If you cannot deal with that, EA is not for you.

I started out hating A17e, now, I'm a bit more ambivalent towards it.

I think that if they change the XP killing Z's gives you and boost "crafting / doing" XP, it will be a step in the right direction to start.

Z pathing, as far as I'm concerned the Z's are too smart. Bandits.... I can see Bandits knowing to attack the base pillars, but having the Z's do that is just irritating. (yes, yes, I know, the only safe place is the main menu)....

Encumbrance is a pain, but yeah I need to get back to using loot boxes at POIs, like anything it's a trade off movement speed or addiction vs less trips, less likely to encounter more Z's which I either need to kill, and advance my game stage, or avoid and add time to travel back to my base.

Speaking of that... Vultures. I had 4 of them follow me as I went to go get the supply drop, and while they never attacked me (at full health) the entire trip), they did swoop down close while I was engaged with the outdoor Z's as I did not want to avoid them, and potentially lose track of the air drop. Once I did get to the air drop, I went ahead and shot them down for a nice bounty of rotten meat and feathers, but it was still a pain.

Again on pathing, I set up the parking garage as my 7 day defense base, put up barbed wire to slow them down and was ready to snip them as they came up the ramp with a retreat set up that I could easily collapse so I could get to the next level, but the Z's would have to go through more barbed wire.

The Z's jumped up the wall mid point and started pounding on the concrete block next to me instead of taking the ramp path. So I had to retreat at the start of the night and then wait at the top for the Z's to come around the corner. I've managed so far, solo play, but it's been a learning experience for sure.

1. With the extensive feedback he provided, I'm quite positive I'm correct about my assumptions. And we have what? 20 people posting they doin't like A17? Meanwhile, 20.000 playes it. Perception bias of vocal minority.

2. It means that his "I quit" tantrum has no value what so ever.

3. Look point 1 and in regards to AI, no more fully passive defenses, no more hiding at bedrock with impunity, no more free loot of all qualities of Zs just coming to you. Only people who may complain about AI atm are the ones who exploited it for permanent safety, which was never supposed to be a thing.

4. You're talking balance of values and unless you live under a rock, you are fully aware its being tweaked as we speak.

No, you're not. You choose to do the exact same thing every time.

But that's fine. You do you.

I think the reason I feel this way is because most of the things that I would spend points on (to play differently) are behind level locks (I know "the game is easily modded" is the "standard response" to this gripe). To be efficient as a player with the current level locks there's very minimal ways to spend your points. I'm not complaining about it anymore until stable though.

Archived