Please GET RID of Alpha 17

barthy

I'm in this camp at the moment. A17 vacillates between super easy and ludicrously hard with a constant background of stamina/resource gathering tediousness. Within 4 days I had forges, every weapon and hundreds of rounds of found ammunition. Zombies die super easy even to stone arrows from plain bows. At the same time I walked into a POI today that spawned 6 ferals the combination of which ate 60 rounds of 9mm, a bunch of shotgun shells and arrows and 5 rockets and didn't die. I can't see long term games being much of a thing anymore. Everything tied to character levels is boring once you get a minimum set of perks bought. At least the old way you had to explore for recipes and whatnot. They should have taken what you wrote above and removed more default recipes and put them into books/magazines/whatever that you had to find to unlock them. I'd also have kept weapon parts/combining and just added mods vs the new system.

edit: 850 hours in game from about A13 on. Not that it matters, but I've got significant time in the game.

Agree with you, we just had to wipe/restart my dedicated server because we all got bored around day 50 or 60 when we were maxed out. The new POIs are far too many and the jump scares are good... once, then you know they are there.

Side note.... auto turrets should be able to use steel casing ammo. Haven't seen anyone comment on that yet.

IMO (and I am entitled to my opinion) the game has gone downhill every patch since after A9. Sure some neat, new little things get added, but the performance, bugs, and exploits just get worse with every patch. A9 was the pinnacle of decent gameplay, fun pvp/raiding and good FPS without major bug/dupe issues and that's why I enjoyed my time in this game the most at that patch level.

Most people I know who play have already given up on A17 too. The next patch should be entirely focused on making A17 not bad, rather than adding new broken things to the game that also don't get fixed til the next patch after that, if ever.

This is not a flame 'gloom and doom' post so don't freak out, Roland. I'm just not happy with how the last 4 (!) years have gone for this game. It's clearly become too ambitious of a project for a very small team without tons of money. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this game, but what I really want is to refund the time I've spent having hope for this game post-A9.

And your dissatisfaction is understandable as the developers are not making the game you want (PVP crafting/survival). As a SP player, every Alpha has been an improvement for me.

Again, doing it right, is key. Half ass like tfp had it, overboard like some mods have it, no...

...it has to be done right.

Speaking of, it can't currently be modded, hopefully that gets fixed.

I think that's the biggest problem with the direction here, and I really hope that TFPs are listening . There is a good percentage of players here who never play vanilla, we play with mods or overhauls and are very happy to. But when things are hard coded so that they can't be modded then you lose us for good. Xp by doing, digging zombies, 1 lcb, if those issues can be addressed by mods or server config i think you would get a huge sigh of relief in those of us who are not happy with things as they look right now.

I think that's the biggest problem with the direction here, and I really hope that TFPs are listening . There is a good percentage of players here who never play vanilla, we play with mods or overhauls and are very happy to. But when things are hard coded so that they can't be modded then you lose us for good. Xp by doing, digging zombies, 1 lcb, if those issues can be addressed by mods or server config i think you would get a huge sigh of relief in those of us who are not happy with things as they look right now.

It would be very valuable info, imo, if they posted how many players play vanilla or play modded.

I would think player and server diagnostics like this bit of info would be extremely valuable to the development team. But I've never seen anyone reference this information. Decisions are always justified by "TFP" or "Madmole" or "the forums" want X, Y, Z. I suppose that's fine for some things, but it's demonstrably bad for other things - like knowing what your playerbase wants.

Not Everything in Alpha 17 is bad but

It would be very valuable info, imo, if they posted how many players play vanilla or play modded.

I would think player and server diagnostics like this bit of info would be extremely valuable to the development team. But I've never seen anyone reference this information. Decisions are always justified by "TFP" or "Madmole" or "the forums" want X, Y, Z. I suppose that's fine for some things, but it's demonstrably bad for other things - like knowing what your playerbase wants.

For me 7days to die without modifications is a no go since they start to change all the resources and stack sizes.

Now they add some sort of Fake Weight system but still i can cary 8 x 6000 wood and more as long as i dont place it in the "bad slots".

Same all this Fake Resources. you get Wood great no need to do anything craft everything from wood , you get Meat great a Rabbit give you same amount of food as a Bear.

Some Stuff can be changed with modding but not everything , many important things are Hardcoded . So put them into configs and let People modify them .

There is no real survival feeling if my only "work" is to keep stuff from few Inventory Slots so i can still run around, carry Weight like a Truck, craft something from some sort of Mainstreamed Resources.

Alpha 17 is not that bad, i like some things but all the things i like are at same time not Enough to say its great.

Things i think that must become better / more logical

- Zombies are nice but Damage to blocks is stupid , why a zombie a dead entity possible with broken arms, legs or whatever do high damage against Concrete or Steel, against wood fine but concrete or steel should not get such high damage.

- Skilltree, no need to add 100 new Skills, but few more would be good.

- Balancing is not really there that was a Issue with previous Versions too. Weapon Damage , Zombie Damage, Wildlife Damage are not really good Balanced.

- Modding No Hardcoded values make it all usable for modders. Currently it is not possible to bring back or modify some stuff cause the game dont offer a modding option for it, as example Skill raise with doing something relatet to this skill. If you Remove Assets from the game, offer them as a Asset File people can add to a mod.

Let Servers share all Mod Files not only Config Files but also Icon Packs (Server could send a Compressed icon Pack to User ).

-Map Size: Really too small for server with some Players. If your Plan was to make this game more like some sort of small Sandbox fast and easy to explore so People can go and do PVP entire day small Maps will work, but then it would be more like a standard FPS Multiplayer game. Patchnotes and a comment in serverconfig tell me max will be 16K not bigger, before maps could be bigger and we had no issues with bigger Maps. Now you find the Radiation Border really fast but at same Time you added new Vehicles, for such small Maps Minibike would be fast enough.

So bring back a Option to generate Maps with User Defined sizes.

Downloading entire Map to client, why its needed? Streaming the map to the client during he play would work too and would not force the entire Download at first connect. Old System as it was also did not force a entire Map Download.

Greetings survivors!

Comparing A17 to A16 may be hard as it involves many changes to the game.

I play Insane/AlwaysRun.

Here's a short list of changes (16 to 17) I feel are most important:

Flaws:

-removed Plains biome

-limited Burnt Forest and Wasteland biomes to small patches

-New skill level/xp grind system

-you can outrun any enemy now (even bears)

-removed wet condition

Advantages:

-New clothing's weather protection mechanics (its more realistic)

-Increased variety of buildings

-New stamina mechanics, but I liked the part where you lose the effectiveness of attacks due to low stamina.

Overall I'm not happy with changes, however the game is still awesome and worth playing.

My friend and I play A17 and our goal is to survive 49 days in hardest settings.

On our way to achieve this I feel like engineering is just useless on bloodmoon nights. All I have to do is make a maze with spikes which is beyond stupid and boring.

My friend enjoys clearing tier2-and-beyond structures. Its very intense and interesting and risky but I also have a feeling it doesn't give enough benefits to be worth the risk.

In general, game used to be more scary (like a real horror game), graphics were way deeper (less hardware load too) and the whole gaming experience and atmosphere impressed much more! I even had my eyebrow twitching because sometimes I got really freaked out.

Also, fix 25% loot abundance please.

Best regards

Your huge fan

We can’t get rid of what we don’t have yet. Rough draft is still in edit. Final version is still nonexistent.

I've seen what was "envisioned", and understand the limitations/unbalance causing 2nd hand problems. Looking beyond those items, it's quite clear I will never enjoy playing it by design. I second the OP.

Heh. I assume you have not gotten that far in A17 then since after the first week or so (which is harder, I grant you) becomes by far the easiest the game has ever been. Not only does the player become maxed out and OP by day 30 (earlier than this ever happened in previous alphas by about 70 days), but the shambolic perk system means you can craft every single item in the game guaranteed (never been in previous alphas). LOL. You don't even need to explore any more, how kind of the devs. Basically they dumbed it all down for a casual audience.

OP's thread title may be clickbait but I can't help think just how much of a superior game A17 would have been if they had just kept to A16 and added the AI, graphics, vehicles, some of the POIs and NOTHING ELSE.

That would have been a far superior, deeper, less casual and more fun game.

that was the case in A16.4... Kinda sad people forget that. Trade killing zombies to mining, and you've got the same type of XP grind. Wanna power level? Start mining. Get a forge before the nights end on day 1, get a fully cemented base by the first horde night.

I admit I agree with that. I've done 4 play throughs, 2 solo 1 with one friend and another recently on a MP server (which is for fun and doesn't count due to it's ramped xp and loot and focus is on pvp lol). first one was with the friend, we both died alot but got used to it for the most part. First solo, I knew a bit, but once I reached day... 42? I was destroying rad/ferals with my ak and smg. Only reason I went out was to just check out POIs. Next time, actually, day 30 I was practically set-up. Not maxed, but setup. Granted, it's still nerve wreaking (I take death kinda seriously, so there's that). Day 21< is definitely a joy due to the survival factor, but by far is it impossible mode. Much harder? Yes. But A16 was a snooze. I would avoid zombies just because they were more annoying and just as boring as building a concrete fortress that would survive WWII with 900 metric tons of more concrete not being used by day 4 -- so it needed to change lol. Creative mode is still there for the sandbox environment.

Greetings survivors!

Comparing A17 to A16 may be hard as it involves many changes to the game.

I play Insane/AlwaysRun.

Here's a short list of changes (16 to 17) I feel are most important:

Flaws:

-removed Plains biome

-limited Burnt Forest and Wasteland biomes to small patches

-New skill level/xp grind system

-you can outrun any enemy now (even bears)

-removed wet condition

Advantages:

-New clothing's weather protection mechanics (its more realistic)

-Increased variety of buildings

-New stamina mechanics, but I liked the part where you lose the effectiveness of attacks due to low stamina.

Overall I'm not happy with changes, however the game is still awesome and worth playing.

My friend and I play A17 and our goal is to survive 49 days in hardest settings.

On our way to achieve this I feel like engineering is just useless on bloodmoon nights. All I have to do is make a maze with spikes which is beyond stupid and boring.

My friend enjoys clearing tier2-and-beyond structures. Its very intense and interesting and risky but I also have a feeling it doesn't give enough benefits to be worth the risk.

In general, game used to be more scary (like a real horror game), graphics were way deeper (less hardware load too) and the whole gaming experience and atmosphere impressed much more! I even had my eyebrow twitching because sometimes I got really freaked out.

Also, fix 25% loot abundance please.

Best regards

Your huge fan

Question - Why the survive D49 goal? Is it a leftover from when the horde strength used to be based on the day and reset after 49?

Well, nothing like specific feedback....

Now, before I have to delete any more posts, to the OP, I would say this:

If you'd like to provide some specific feedback about what you did and did not like about A17's current (experimental) release, then perhaps it could spark a useful conversation and some debate on the merits or otherwise of A17....

And a note to everyone, please keep it civil and free of ad hominem.

I have two very clear questions for you, and I hope you're seeing that I'm serious, and not trying to be disrespectful:

Do you know that it costs many server providers money to keep their servers up?

Are you aware that an online game without servers is going to bomb?

What I don't like to see here is that I'm getting the feeling that you're making it sound as if the problem lies in the OP and his servers. If that's what you think then let me assure you: No, it's TFP's problem really.

I'm not sure if I'm reading a snippy reaction into your post or if I'm misinterpreting your wording. The internet is not an easy place to communicate in. I haven't seen much of the bad stuff that I suspect has gone on here before you moderated this thread, but the OP is pointing out a VERY SERIOUS problem that many EA online games have died from!

I find it pretty disturbing that the general concensus on this forum seems to be that IF you have critizism it's YOUR JOB AS A FAN to figure out what the problem is and to deliver a clear message to the forum/TFP about what's not right with the game.

I find that AMATEURISH for a gaming company that has going on a decade of making a game! It's not the fans' job to figure out what the problem is, it's the developers job - IF they are interested in keeping it! Listen and appreciate that people are taking their time to come here and point out problems. They are doing so because they care!!

Let me appologize in advance if this isn't you, but since this isn't the first time, nor the first mod I see doing this, I think I'm not completely off: The general attitude of some moderators here, making it look like dissapointed fans are part of the problem is part of what has created the problem and has led to more dissapointed fans than had the moderators merely kept to themselves and editing vitriol out of posts! It's like pouring acid on a litmus test before taking a reading of your test liquid! How do you expect to get a neutral and objective opinion if you start out by not having a neutral board in the first place? This is not good business practice. This forum is the public face of the devs - it's quite a responsibility to represent someone, and the more of your own you put forward, the less you're actually helping those you represent.

Stop taking critizism personally and lashing out - because - intended or not - that's what I'm taking away from your post right now (and I'm not stupid). If that wasn't intended then maybe a slight change into softer wording would already go a long way in the future and keep buisness businesslike. Not just saying. I've said this before and I'm saying it again. And if you can't take me saying this to you without getting angry or annoyed with me, you show you're failing to see any point I'm making and you're never going to be happy doing this in the long run because it's not your kind of thing.

Customers can come here representing what ever opinion they want, but moderators represent the company and have to stick to some basic neutrality guidelines if they're meant to look proffessional!

Not blasting your opinion at all, just curious if this is your first playthrough and have not gotten past your current level yet. The reason I ask is because you ask to make the zombie XP higher to speed the game up? A lot have the opinion, myself included, that the game is too fast at the moment. By day 30-50 (depending on your XP grind) you're level 100+ and there is nothing left to do?

Yup my 1st playthough on MP server pvp.

I only made the suggestion due to the fact i seen so many others b****ing about the progression/gateing and the fact they need to kill alot of zeds to win XP. I do not mind killing them personally, thats my preferred play-style so the game fits me better than ever :)

the game has gone downhill every patch since after A9. Sure some neat, new little things get added, but the performance, bugs, and exploits just get worse with every patch. A9 was the pinnacle of decent gameplay, fun pvp/raiding and good FPS without major bug/dupe issues and that's why I enjoyed my time in this game the most at that patch level.

I joined at a14 and cant imagine it was better 5 alphas before. Actually, what you say sounds terrible:"fun pvp/raiding". It sounds like every generic pvp sandbox out there, like rust, ark, and so on. Theres plenty of those games. Empty of real content, just a sandbox for pvp. I hate them. 7d2d is the best survival game out there, exactly bc it doesnt base its content on raids and pvp.

I joined at a14 and cant imagine it was better 5 alphas before. Actually, what you say sounds terrible:"fun pvp/raiding". It sounds like every generic pvp sandbox out there, like rust, ark, and so on. Theres plenty of those games. Empty of real content, just a sandbox for pvp. I hate them. 7d2d is the best survival game out there, exactly bc it doesnt base its content on raids and pvp.

^ This

Yup my 1st playthough on MP server pvp.

I only made the suggestion due to the fact i seen so many others b****ing about the progression/gateing and the fact they need to kill alot of zeds to win XP. I do not mind killing them personally, thats my preferred play-style so the game fits me better than ever :)

And that's what's the problem with discussions on this forum. When you compare apples with oranges.

Person X says he doesn't enjoy the game because he feels like he needs to kill zombies to advance in crafting. But rather craft to advance in crafting.

Person Y response that the game is great because killing zombies advance him in crafting. Because he enjoys killing zombies more than crafting.

TFP manage to make A17 great for combat based playstyle. Finally! But in the process they nerfed Defensive playstyle.

Imo defensive/stealth is survival and should be rewarded.

Thanks for saying that!

Really glad you did.

In fact.. here's a kitten as a reward.

y50CcIZ.gif

-Map Size: Really too small for server with some Players. If your Plan was to make this game more like some sort of small Sandbox fast and easy to explore so People can go and do PVP entire day small Maps will work, but then it would be more like a standard FPS Multiplayer game. Patchnotes and a comment in serverconfig tell me max will be 16K not bigger, before maps could be bigger and we had no issues with bigger Maps. Now you find the Radiation Border really fast but at same Time you added new Vehicles, for such small Maps Minibike would be fast enough.

So bring back a Option to generate Maps with User Defined sizes.

Downloading entire Map to client, why its needed? Streaming the map to the client during he play would work too and would not force the entire Download at first connect. Old System as it was also did not force a entire Map Download.

And that's what's the problem with discussions on this forum. When you compare apples with oranges.

Person X says he doesn't enjoy the game because he feels like he needs to kill zombies to advance in crafting. But rather craft to advance in crafting.

Person Y response that the game is great because killing zombies advance him in crafting. Because he enjoys killing zombies more than crafting.

TFP manage to make A17 great for combat based playstyle. Finally! But in the process they nerfed Defensive playstyle.

Imo defensive/stealth is survival and should be rewarded.

It's amazing how both of you are complaining about features that are known to be incomplete, un-finished, and mostly broken in this Experimental version of an Alpha. Features that are still being worked on, fixed, and balanced.

Does no one pay attention to the comments of the developers?

You act like this is Stable.

It's amazing how both of you are complaining about features that are known to be incomplete, un-finished, and mostly broken in this Experimental version of an Alpha. Features that are still being worked on, fixed, and balanced.

To be honest i really dont know if you really understand what i said. Cause your answer is some sort of Random Answer trying to explain something but your Explanation does not work for this complains.

Let me try to explain you my Complain about Map sizes and why i dont think it will become much better after Alpha 17 is finished (if you have a Link to a Dev Post explaining that the total Map size can be more then 16 K after Alpha 17 is finished would be nice to share the Link).

If the Game now download always the entire Map File von first connect to server and if the entire Map is generatet on first Server start, a infinite map would not be possible cause the server generate the map forever until it reach Memory Limit and crash. And i could not find any Comment from a Dev explaining something like Full Map generation is only a Place Holder until its done or entire Map Download is only a Place Holder until its done.

So no i dont complain about a incomplete Feature i complain about a Change to Map sizes making it impossible to have very large Maps and forcing People to play on small Maps. Or can you tell me how i can generate a Map with lets Say 40K size?

So tell me , why i complain about incomplete Features if the new Feature will not allow big Maps with User Set Borders cause it would force People to watch the Loading screen for hours to receive the Map file or would crash the Server cause it runs into Memory Issues?

Or as i said link a Dev Comment explaining that the current System is Place Holder and Maps with Custom set Borders with every wantet Size will be possible after Alpha 17 is done.

And acting like its stable ? Dont see why i act like its stable as you say.

Its one thing to complain about Bugs normal for every Alpha also Stable Products have Bugs. Its another thing to complain about Changes to the Game mechanics which change how the entire Game works and feels for many People.

hell yeah , this ALPHA is NOT COMPLETE but i enjoy way further than any of before , we are 1 or 2 years from final 7dtd , and too lil is yet to be done , my only problem with the whole game not the alpha is that the building system is way much in standard building than creative , i mean look at minecraft 3 or 4 blocks made the building imaginative aka (piston , sticky , trapdoors and redstone) ,

its not the same game i know but very close to it. BTW i liked 7dtd more than MC because you need to defend yourself .

in total THIS ALPHA IS AMAZING , cant imagine what mods will pop up with it

To be honest i really dont know if you really understand what i said. Cause your answer is some sort of Random Answer trying to explain something but your Explanation does not work for this complains.

Let me try to explain you my Complain about Map sizes and why i dont think it will become much better after Alpha 17 is finished (if you have a Link to a Dev Post explaining that the total Map size can be more then 16 K after Alpha 17 is finished would be nice to share the Link).

If the Game now download always the entire Map File von first connect to server and if the entire Map is generatet on first Server start, a infinite map would not be possible cause the server generate the map forever until it reach Memory Limit and crash. And i could not find any Comment from a Dev explaining something like Full Map generation is only a Place Holder until its done or entire Map Download is only a Place Holder until its done.

So no i dont complain about a incomplete Feature i complain about a Change to Map sizes making it impossible to have very large Maps and forcing People to play on small Maps. Or can you tell me how i can generate a Map with lets Say 40K size?

So tell me , why i complain about incomplete Features if the new Feature will not allow big Maps with User Set Borders cause it would force People to watch the Loading screen for hours to receive the Map file or would crash the Server cause it runs into Memory Issues?

Or as i said link a Dev Comment explaining that the current System is Place Holder and Maps with Custom set Borders with every wantet Size will be possible after Alpha 17 is done.

And acting like its stable ? Dont see why i act like its stable as you say.

Its one thing to complain about Bugs normal for every Alpha also Stable Products have Bugs. Its another thing to complain about Changes to the Game mechanics which change how the entire Game works and feels for many People.

From Kinyajuu two weeks ago....

Rest assured RWG will get back to it's previous glory. I own most of the gameplay systems so I've had to give that more attention. Don't worry, it'll get to a much better spot once I can get around to it. It's not a matter of ability it's a matter of time, try not to get those two things confused guys. :)

It's basically been known that this is a broken feature since a17e released.

Oh sorry I forgot the "e" I mean A17e of course! lol

Archived