Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I just want to say that personally I hate it when a destination is like 1.4 km away. If the map is more densely packed with interesting destinations then maybe I’ll have to do less 1 km hikes to trader back to base to city back to base etc.

I have sometimes found a trader very near a city and that is always a welcome outcome but usually it seems like lots of running.

We need Kinyajuu to come here with drawings or something, and explain to some of us, how the map is in A16.4, and how it will be in A17.

That's it, we get the info from the guy who really knows and nobody will be playing the guessing game anymore.

Roland, please make this happen. Hope you had a nice vacation... You'll need another one pretty soon!!!

Pretty sure Kinyajuu is busy with game crunch time and trying to get it ready for experimental. I for one would rather he spend his time there than on here knee deep in #mapsizegate.

Pretty sure Kinyajuu is busy with game crunch time and trying to get it ready for experimental. I for one would rather he spend his time there than on here knee deep in #mapsizegate.

True that. It’s why they lower me down and then close up the sewer cover plate again...

I'm not sure what to make of the irony inherent in getting functional vehicles at the same time the map shrinks so as not to need them.

In jest, I am sure. I would rather spend more time slaying and looting than running twice the length of Navezgane on foot. Bring on the Jeep!

I'm not sure what to make of the irony inherent in getting functional vehicles at the same time the map shrinks so as not to need them.

Why not? From my understanding it is still bigger map then navezgane so it will still be a decent size map. Not only that but you can change the size of the map from what it will be on default.

3.30am and im loaded on Endone for my fused spine at L5 S1 so forgive me for taking short cuts ..... and yes i failed english at school , care at my age .... nope

You are forgiven of course Matt. I do notice that you failed to mention that you did, indeed, engage in the behavior your previously reprimanded. And then made yet another post that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of conversation which seems to be the map size of the upcoming alpha seventeen.

My thoughts on that is "Hey, great, I would enjoy seeing a smaller map. Navezgane is all well and good, but I love random gen."

By the way, good luck on your upcoming surgery. I hope all goes well.

Still gonna snark at ya though :)

I just want to say that personally I hate it when a destination is like 1.4 km away. If the map is more densely packed with interesting destinations then maybe I’ll have to do less 1 km hikes to trader back to base to city back to base etc.

I have sometimes found a trader very near a city and that is always a welcome outcome but usually it seems like lots of running.

Just my view:

I think a lot of ppl are underestimating just how big 64km2 actually is, even with 8ppl exploring every part of it.

Skyrim only has a map size that is is roughly 37.1 km2 and even that's not all playable, nor is it a fully destructible voxel map either (just picked that game since it's still popular even today).

I also see some throwing in and trying to compare Minecraft map size to 7d2d and I don't think that is a good comparisons to make as a whole. Minecraft has rudimentary character controllers, rudimentary entity AI, rudimentary textures, rudimentary physics, very very basic terrain generator, etc,. etc,. and so on. where are the Minecraft cities and towns populated with the many times more mobs? Wheres the Minecraft Roads spanning the map?

The only thing MC has over 7d2d is it world size.

Heh, just try to add a high end shader to MC and see how well it goes.. then add 7d2d textures to it.. Most rigs would have issues even with just that without adding a 3rdparty handler system or doing some very aggressive core changes. Still a good game to play though for what it is.

And who says 7d2d might not get bigger maps sometime down the road that can compare to the nave map in performance? who has even asked that question? Maybe what we are getting is just initially what they can afford to give us for a good game play experience? Maybe they are still actively looking at other ways to give us bigger maps?!

Maybe the increase in map size that can perform just as good as Nave, is just Me being optimistic in thinking it's possible at getting down the road but that's just how I am.. most of the time.

You are forgiven of course Matt. I do notice that you failed to mention that you did, indeed, engage in the behavior your previously reprimanded. And then made yet another post that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of conversation which seems to be the map size of the upcoming alpha seventeen.

My thoughts on that is "Hey, great, I would enjoy seeing a smaller map. Navezgane is all well and good, but I love random gen."

Sounds like if i were him i'd have a hard time thinking about anything but my back too :smile-new: Map sizes are way beneath him at this point

Snark away, i wont be making another comment on after this. Pointless reading.

- i had my spine fused 24th Feb 2008. No pain for 3 years than gave out again. On disability ever since. Im 2 metres tall and 110kgs. Spend most of my days in bed. Only relief is playing 7days from my bed.

Agreed. You walk across empty roads or terrain for most of the day just to find alittle gas station thats already been looted. You stay the night and then spend most of the next day walking home. No one wants to play a running simulator.

Agreed. You walk across empty roads or terrain for most of the day just to find alittle gas station thats already been looted. You stay the night and then spend most of the next day walking home. No one wants to play a running simulator.

A 16 , you run a lot, something has been looted

A 17 , you run less, EVERYTHING has been looted

:)

Just my view:

I think a lot of ppl are underestimating just how big 64km2 actually is, even with 8ppl exploring every part of it.

Skyrim only has a map size that is is roughly 37.1 km2 and even that's not all playable, nor is it a fully destructible voxel map either (just picked that game since it's still popular even today).

I also see some throwing in and trying to compare Minecraft map size to 7d2d and I don't think that is a good comparisons to make as a whole. Minecraft has rudimentary character controllers, rudimentary entity AI, rudimentary textures, rudimentary physics, very very basic terrain generator, etc,. etc,. and so on. where are the Minecraft cities and towns populated with the many times more mobs? Wheres the Minecraft Roads spanning the map?

The only thing MC has over 7d2d is it world size.

Heh, just try to add a high end shader to MC and see how well it goes.. then add 7d2d textures to it.. Most rigs would have issues even with just that without adding a 3rdparty handler system or doing some very aggressive core changes. Still a good game to play though for what it is.

And who says 7d2d might not get bigger maps sometime down the road that can compare to the nave map in performance? who has even asked that question? Maybe what we are getting is just initially what they can afford to give us for a good game play experience? Maybe they are still actively looking at other ways to give us bigger maps?!

Maybe the increase in map size that can perform just as good as Nave, is just Me being optimistic in thinking it's possible at getting down the road but that's just how I am.. most of the time.

I added custom textures to minecraft a few years back and it cooked my gtx660 on the 3rd play through. I don't recommend trying it. As soon as I saw the artifacts snow across the screen I knew it cooked. It was a dated card and had miles on it, but it sucked all around. Wasnt prepared to replace it 😐

A 16 , you run a lot, something has been looted

A 17 , you run less, EVERYTHING has been looted

:)

Lol. Dunno maybe they can make the POI's more hazardous to slow down the looters. But with my experience on the multiplayer servers, your fellow players are vultures that play day and night until theyve picked everything clean. They are nothing if not dedicated.

100Km^2 is not two times bigger than 50Km^2. It is 4 times bigger. No way the generation time would be linear.

OMG seriously?

I wrote 100Km^2, which is indeed twice as much as 50 Km^2. What you are referring to is (100Km)^2, which is actually 10000Km^2. It is just notation.

OMG seriously?

I wrote 100Km^2, which is indeed twice as much as 50 Km^2. What you are referring to is 100Km x 100Km, which is actually 10000Km^2. It is just notation.

That's not how your post came across. I wasn't the only one that thought you meant that.

But I am sorry. Your post makes sense now. I was in the middle of reading everyone else talking about the 10000 vs 8000 and 100^2 is 10000 so I assumed you were saying that. :)

That's not how your post came across. I wasn't the only one that thought you meant that.

You probably did not read it carefully. Have a look:

Hopefully the generation is linear with the area that one wants to generate

I said linear with the area, not linear with the side. Pretty obvious.

Also, in another post of mine I said this:

I just hope they did nothing above O(n) with the area and O(n^2) with the side ;)

which further proves my point.

You probably did not read it carefully. Have a look:

I said linear with the area, not linear with the side. Pretty obvious.

Also, in another post of mine I said this:

which further proves my point.

Yeah I went back and edited my reply to you. I did just misread it. I think all the 10000's this and 8000s that flying around just got to me. Hehe

Archived