Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I dont geht how you guys calculate the area of a circle (the map size)

old size was a circle of 10km diameter, right ? so how can you come to the result of 314 square kilometers?

10km/2 = 5km radius

area = radius² * pi

means: Area = (5*5) * 3.147

25 * 3.147 = 78.7 square km was the old size of map

New size means 8/2 = 4km radius ... (4*4) * 3.147 = new size ~50.4 square km

78.7 - 50.4 = the new map is 28.3 square km smaller = we have only 64 % of the old map size.

Next thing: Why can people talk like "its better" !? Sorry but if I take away 36 % of your money, your house ...whatever is that better than before ? - You guys take drugs or are you still so deep in the devs ass that you cant find out ?

a) 10k is the radius not the diameter.

b) if it improves the overall performance of the game then YES, taking away x% may make the game better. 10k and it loads chunks slower and you get more stuttering compared to 8k and the game runs smoother? I'll take the 8k every time with those two options.

edit: But 80% is too much. I have basically a potato for a PC and it runs the current 10k fine. i can't imagine a change that caused them to lower the map size by 80ish percent.

In A16 you can go away from (0,0) approximately 10km in any direction. This is what is called a radius. The map has a diameter of 20km. This is how an approximate size of 314 sq km was calculated. 10x10 = 100 --> 100 x 3.14 = 314

Kinyajuu has confirmed that the new size is a square map that is 8km x 8km which means a total size of 64 sq. km. 8 x 8 = 64.

So the map will be considerably smaller but more densely filled with POI's. This is better for some playstyles and worse for others. So that is how some people can talk about how it is better and how others can talk about it is worse and nobody has to be deep in anyone's ass. Although, there may be a problem with at least one person who thinks everyone plays the game the same way as them....

Wait? I thought it was 8k radius. That the 8kx8k was a mistake? That is a HUGE HUGE difference. That would be an 80% reduction in map size. That can't possibly be correct can it?

I thought Navezgane was bigger than that.

I specifically asked Kinyajuu if it was going to be an 8km radius or an 8km x 8km square. He told me it was 8km x 8km.

So unless he didn’t read my question carefully and just threw out a quick answer all the while meaning 8km radius then we have to go with the square. There’s no one who would know better than he.

Wait? I thought it was 8k radius. That the 8kx8k was a mistake? That is a HUGE HUGE difference. That would be an 80% reduction in map size. That can't possibly be correct can it?

I thought Navezgane was bigger than that.

Yes, it IS 8kmx8km, not a radius, so yes, the difference is pretty massive. There's so much redundancy at this point, with so many people asking the same or disputing what has already been established.

Hopefully (pls @faatal don't disprove ;)) the generation is linear with the area that one wants to generate.. so if 50Km^2 takes 1 minute, than 100Km^2 takes 2.

100Km^2 is not two times bigger than 50Km^2. It is 4 times bigger. No way the generation time would be linear.

I specifically asked Kinyajuu if it was going to be an 8km radius or an 8km x 8km square. He told me it was 8km x 8km.

So unless he didn’t read my question carefully and just threw out a quick answer all the while meaning 8km radius then we have to go with the square. There’s no one who would know better than he.

Can't you just load up a game in RWG and see how big the map is?

Or is the new map generation not added to the build yet?

Lol if this is true the same amount of players will leave, there's no point for a survival to play in such small map size, exploring everything quickly and finding some one will be so easy to lose the

Excitement, also what's the point to add that little helicopter in a map that small, it's like going from kitchen to bedroom with a train.

The gyrocopter won't make it into A17 Experimental, as far as I know. Maybe in A17.X, or else in A18.

Also, I don't think the gyrocopter will be any faster than the 4 X 4 or motorcycle since the game might not permit this. Or maybe it could because of the map being pre-loaded now???

We need Kinyajuu to come here with drawings or something, and explain to some of us, how the map is in A16.4, and how it will be in A17.

That's it, we get the info from the guy who really knows and nobody will be playing the guessing game anymore.

Roland, please make this happen. Hope you had a nice vacation... You'll need another one pretty soon!!!

I really feel like you guys are under estimating the size of the map. if you look at the RWG maps in alpha 16 with the previewer, at size 5 the map is huge with approximately 25-ish cities fairly consistently spread out. if you take the view down to size 4 - which is what i think the devs are doing with A17 - there are approximately 16-ish cities. Navesgane in A16 had like 7 cities with a bunch of random minuscule POI gatherings? (working off of memory here).

Point is, i think the devs are notching down the map from Gigantic to Huge. And i don't know about your computers, but loading a size 5 map on the previewer takes me exponentially more time (probably literally) than loading a size 4 map. The size down is probably worth it and maybe later, with more time and technology, they can push the size up again.

- - - Updated - - -

Just please don’t bet $50 on it....

what about $5?

We need Kinyajuu to come here with drawings or something, and explain to some of us, how the map is in A16.4, and how it will be in A17.

That's it, we get the info from the guy who really knows and nobody will be playing the guessing game anymore.

Roland, please make this happen. Hope you had a nice vacation... You'll need another one pretty soon!!!

This one is accurate:

So... this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24849[/ATTACH]

If Navezgane is 32 sq km then 64 sq km seems reasonable. Maybe not for a 1000 day length of time with 20 people but for 100 days with up to 8 it should give plenty of space and with greater density a lot more to explore close by.

Archived