Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Navezgane is 32 km^2, and random gen will be 64 km^2 so it will be twice as big.

I have one question. This map will be 8000x8000m, so when i will generate new map on single player I will be dropped just in the middle of it or in some range from the middle? It will be possible to be dropped just next to the edge or not?

ps. its so damn hot these days, cant focus properly, so many mistakes...

It would be great if they joined edges of map so if you left on East side of map you would seamlessly appear on west side. Same north/south

It would be great if they joined edges of map so if you left on East side of map you would seamlessly appear on west side. Same north/south

Wrappable terrain would be cool but it's a nightmare to set up the noise generators for it, more so when the terrain size is adjustable.

AO just looks SO much more realistic.

My wife (a gamergirl aka Teamhair) was reading over my shoulder about mapgate yesterday and commented, "Why did they invest so much time adding more vehicles when we can just run across the map in a day now?" She really loved the exploring and discovering aspect of the game before, and hunting for resources we needed in a htf biome.

I Hope we CAN just increase the generated size in options, and then just live with the longer generation time.

IMHO to make obtaining vehicles more valuable game play wise, you need a play reason to have them. If you can completely cross the map on the bicycle or scooter in a day, there isn't much value to work towards getting the chopper or 4x4. Initially, to try them, hell yeah. But longer term play wise, I'm not so sure? Maybe if they have significantly more storage for those big poi loot, but obtaining the additional backpack slots kind of negates that. Anticipating people spending more gameplay time exploring big pois is also devalues gameplay to get the new vehicles because you might no longer need them with the reduced default map size.

It could well be the older poi generation density was far more like real life than the new. If I drive for instance, from our town (small, pop of 9,000) to the nearest large town (Atlanta) Most of the 3 hour drive (180 miles) is woods or empty land. We pass through 2 smallish towns, and probably 40 poi locations strip malls... chain places.... tourist traps, but we can easily drive for 15 minutes and see nothing but empty roadsides.

If we were however down in Florida near Disney or Orlando, we couldn't drive more than a minute without seeing some place to stop along the road. But I do recall just completely blocking out and ignoring all that "higher density" to get to a specific location.

I really liked seeing a big empty desert or mountain area that I'd have to struggle to get across in a16. I won't miss those huge lakes though that took an entire day to cross.

Roland, could you at least confirm that we CAN increase the initial map size generation in rgw without making the game unplayable?

That would probably put an end to the speculation and discussion of mapgate.

Then we can all bitch about AO being removed instead... ;)

Wrappable terrain would be cool but it's a nightmare to set up the noise generators for it, more so when the terrain size is adjustable.

I'd rather just see working hazmat suits, and irradiated biomes on the outer edge. If the suits only blocked say, max 90% of radiation, that would limit people being able to travel too far into it, and unique valuable resources could be put into it to make it a valuable area to risk exploring t least some.

I would like TFP to attempt a planet 7d2d.

Nothing as big as the Earth or anything, just enough so the player can't realize the curve while traveling that much.

Eventually the planet would be fully generated, unlike how it is in A16.4(b8), where it basically can continue to gen as long as you have enough space to do so, gobbling up more and more resources till eventually it crashes.

AO just looks SO much more realistic.

My wife (a gamergirl aka Teamhair) was reading over my shoulder about mapgate yesterday and commented, "Why did they invest so much time adding more vehicles when we can just run across the map in a day now?" She really loved the exploring and discovering aspect of the game before, and hunting for resources we needed in a htf biome.

I Hope we CAN just increase the generated size in options, and then just live with the longer generation time.

IMHO to make obtaining vehicles more valuable game play wise, you need a play reason to have them. If you can completely cross the map on the bicycle or scooter in a day, there isn't much value to work towards getting the chopper or 4x4. Initially, to try them, hell yeah. But longer term play wise, I'm not so sure? Maybe if they have significantly more storage for those big poi loot, but obtaining the additional backpack slots kind of negates that. Anticipating people spending more gameplay time exploring big pois is also devalues gameplay to get the new vehicles because you might no longer need them with the reduced default map size.

It could well be the older poi generation density was far more like real life than the new. If I drive for instance, from our town (small, pop of 9,000) to the nearest large town (Atlanta) Most of the 3 hour drive (180 miles) is woods or empty land. We pass through 2 smallish towns, and probably 40 poi locations strip malls... chain places.... tourist traps, but we can easily drive for 15 minutes and see nothing but empty roadsides.

If we were however down in Florida near Disney or Orlando, we couldn't drive more than a minute without seeing some place to stop along the road. But I do recall just completely blocking out and ignoring all that "higher density" to get to a specific location.

I really liked seeing a big empty desert or mountain area that I'd have to struggle to get across in a16. I won't miss those huge lakes though that took an entire day to cross.

Roland, could you at least confirm that we CAN increase the initial map size generation in rgw without making the game unplayable?

That would probably put an end to the speculation and discussion of mapgate.

Then we can all bitch about AO being removed instead... ;)

I cant see them reducing the map size so drastically just to shorten the one time generation. That would make the decision stupid. Right now the decision sucks but its not stupid, they HAVE to have more of a reason beyond a one time per map creation time decrease.

I cant see them reducing the map size so drastically just to shorten the one time generation. That would make the decision stupid. Right now the decision sucks but its not stupid, they HAVE to have more of a reason beyond a one time per map creation time decrease.

Minimum system requirements.

The basic game should run reasonably well on a potato, anything after that is icing on the cake. Depending on how much processing power you have generating a map may take far too long. How many players are willing to let the map generate for 2-3 hours before they even play their first game?

Navezgane is 32 km^2, and random gen will be 64 km^2 so it will be twice as big.

I have one question. This map will be 8000x8000m, so when i will generate new map on single player I will be dropped just in the middle of it or in some range from the middle? It will be possible to be dropped just next to the edge or not?

ps. its so damn hot these days, cant focus properly, so many mistakes...

I'm almost 100% sure Roland said few weeks ago Navezgane map is bigger now.

Btw, does anyone have an idea about "how many skill points till lvl 200 do we have now"?

Snark away, i wont be making another comment on after this. Pointless reading.

- i had my spine fused 24th Feb 2008. No pain for 3 years than gave out again. On disability ever since. Im 2 metres tall and 110kgs. Spend most of my days in bed. Only relief is playing 7days from my bed.

I hate to hear that Matt. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery, even if you aren't reading it.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read on the first page that the "Blimp" was cancelled with disappointment.

I didn't know this was ever really a thing... But more over. Disappointed. Really? :p

I'm actually looking forward to the Gyrocopter though. Should also be faster than any blimp, by all rights.

Holy Mother of Trolland!?!?!?!?!!?! Blimps?!? I don't think I've ever heard that mentioned. Where did someone talk about that, if any of the devs did? Is he just trolling us again? Roland's trolling, gotta be...

Minimum system requirements.

The basic game should run reasonably well on a potato, anything after that is icing on the cake. Depending on how much processing power you have generating a map may take far too long. How many players are willing to let the map generate for 2-3 hours before they even play their first game?

What do you consider to be reasonably well, IMO anything under 45 FPS on high settings isn't reasonably well, you must have low expectations.

Furthermore anyone who is playing this game on a potato while expecting The Fun Pimps to produce miracles don't have reasonable expectations.

I'm almost 100% sure Roland said few weeks ago Navezgane map is bigger now.

Btw, does anyone have an idea about "how many skill points till lvl 200 do we have now"?

Just one day ago

In A16 you can go away from (0,0) approximately 10km in any direction. This is what is called a radius. The map has a diameter of 20km. This is how an approximate size of 314 sq km was calculated. 10x10 = 100 --> 100 x 3.14 = 314

Kinyajuu has confirmed that the new size is a square map that is 8km x 8km which means a total size of 64 sq. km. 8 x 8 = 64.

So the map will be considerably smaller but more densely filled with POI's. This is better for some playstyles and worse for others. So that is how some people can talk about how it is better and how others can talk about it is worse and nobody has to be deep in anyone's ass. Although, there may be a problem with at least one person who thinks everyone plays the game the same way as them....

So this would make rwg still bigger then navezgane map.

I hate to hear that Matt. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery, even if you aren't reading it.

Thanks. Cant operate on me as % not on my side.

Yea im still on here, just wasn't going to say anything. Information i want/need about the Alpha is to great lol.

So zombie hp bars gone now from a17 or a option?

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Mother of Trolland!?!?!?!?!!?! Blimps?!? I don't think I've ever heard that mentioned. Where did someone talk about that, if any of the devs did? Is he just trolling us again? Roland's trolling, gotta be...

I missed it or something but in the Q&A someone was talking about blimps or something. It was talked about but I don't think as far as putting it in the game was talked about but again until the Q&A I never seen anything on it.

MadMole is an artist, and a pretty good one at that, but he ain't no code-monkey. I doubt he could do that if he tried :-)

He's the CEO of a large multinational (interplanetary, tbt) corporation that kicked off the zombie virus to infect mankind.

"HE" isn't a coder, but he knows how to slip the teenager at Starbucks a few hundred notes and get things done...

I'm actually planning to set my server map size to 12 km x 12 km. If it takes 3-4 hours to generate (I doubt it will take THAT long on my new server) that is ok since I don't plan to open the server to the public until the day after release. (We've been pushing it hard on stream but Monday is consistently our best viewed show so, I don't want to drop that)

All this being said, I think the outcry about the map size is a little over the top. I used to run a mod that shrank the size of the map every few days to encourage PvP (this was actually before the whole battle royale craze hit). The final map size was only a 1.5km radius, much smaller than the stated size of the A17 default RWG map, at a minuscule 7 sq km! The map was small but it still provided a lot of area to cover on foot (this was before minibikes). 64 sq km is still a decent size map, bigger than most mmo's, and it will only feel small because we've had such huge maps until now. Remember that Navezgane used to be only 8 sq km back in the day, when they increased it to 32 it felt huge, we're still going to have 2x that area to explore in the new RWG!

Yes, I know that last paragraph might have sounded a little hypocritical after just saying that I was planing to increase my map size in the first paragraph but my point is, unless you're consistently playing with >10 people on the server, 64 sq km should still be plenty. I'm expecting around 20 players on my new server so, I think a little increase from default is justified here. The old map size was excessive for 8 players (the max 'supported' number of players) and felt about right for servers with 40+ players, which were few and far between so, 64 sq km is probably a good spot to balance performance on for the typical servers I see in the list with only 2-4 players.

Thanks. Cant operate on me as % not on my side.

Yea im still on here, just wasn't going to say anything. Information i want/need about the Alpha is to great lol.

So zombie hp bars gone now from a17 or a option?

Not sure; Roland mentioned in a post a few pages ago that they were, but I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic (he was, but you never know with him whether him being sarcastic means what he's saying is or isn't true), if they're gone, or an option.

I'm actually hoping for it being an option. I don't mind the idea as much as a lot of people do, but I'd hate for the Pimps to have spent the time and energy on it and then drop it just because we rage on the forums.

What do you consider to be reasonably well, IMO anything under 45 FPS on high settings isn't reasonably well, you must have low expectations.

Furthermore anyone who is playing this game on a potato while expecting The Fun Pimps to produce miracles don't have reasonable expectations.

I'm a developer. Although I may have a gaming rig capable of running high-end games my clients and customers, mostly, do not.

I must program so it runs on their computers to within their expectations, not mine.

Archived