Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Different Players, Different Approaches. My Experience does not have to be the same as yours. But was it to much asked, what the Playerbase would vote for in a public and advertised Poll?

I know its your Game, TFP. But we the Players enabled you to make your Game, as we bought it in Early Access for the Features it had, or for the Features that would come. But this drastically Reduction... no one signed for.

Really? A public poll? First of all I can predict the result without a poll and secondly what does community preferences have to do with necessary performance changes? This is something that TFP feels they need to do to greatly improve performance and stability-- especially with vehicles. We are getting closer to the finalized version. Once the game goes gold there is no forgiveness for unstable worlds where you fall through not fast enough loading chunks or your vehicle just disappears or because 8 players are riding away from each other in 8 different directions the server crashes. The days of justifying poor performance and glitchy terrain with the time honored phrase of "It's Alpha" are coming to an end. So TFP has chosen a benchmark that they can be sure stability and performance are going to be rock solid for up to 8 players. It's not because they think 64 sq km is better than 314 sq km but were afraid to ask the players so they snuck it in without our say so...

As far as I understand it, those servers will be able to edit the size of the world in the xml files.

Exactly like those servers can edit the maximum number of players. Yes.

They communicated that the reason for that reduction are increased performance problems, combined with the Pre-Generation.

If we decide to alter the XML Files ( Which we dont do either way so the Server stays in the "unmodded" Tab) we might get a highly unstable game.

Many servers have had to either remove vehicles or limit the battery size to keep the speed down to a level that keeps the game stable. You can probably increase the map size to what its been with the caveat that you may need to remove vehicles or limit their speed just as before.

Corners have to be cut somewhere if we wish to continue in this fully destructible voxel world.

Technically, corners were added...

a 80% cut in map size is not defendable imo

No one really needs to debate it at all. Whether you are for it or against it is immaterial. It is the reality. People can try and compare other games and give their opinions as to why the cut is too drastic all day long but the people who actually know the code and know the limits have chosen the size that works best. There is no reason why the supported size couldn't be enlarged as the game goes through beta and through optimizations a larger size with good stability becomes possible-- just as the number of supported players could well increase.

Welcome to early access folks where you get to experience ALL the ups and downs of the development process. If nothing else at least you can say that you remember having played on a 10k radius map.

has this game released any content in the past 3 months? or if im reading this right the huge patch comes out sometime in the next month? im just checking in and too many raging teenagers and meme lords to sift through and not enough tylenol to get my solid answers from research

Raging forty year olds acting like teenager, everyone a meme lord except myself, and everyone a raging meme lord.

No, no update within the past three months. Yes, a new alpha to be released sometime this month if all goes well.

Don't really expect much for regular updates, unless you consider a new version of alpha to be the update, and that will be anywhere from 8-14 months. I mean, they'll stabilize and fix the bugs after the new alpha release, so you'll get fixes and the such for a month or two, but after that it's waiting for them to announce new features for the new alpha.

The only purpose to the forums is being a raging meme lord.

You can't argue real world weaponry facts with gamers and nerds in general...they never listen...

Just like the continued argument of the vastly overrated , weak Katana...to many weabos and fanboys...they

will never listen that the strongest , most advanced sword in history was the Viking Ulfberht which has been studied

and proven...down to it's far superior quality steel , to its overall design...but hey , let them live in their fantasy land...

Umm, isn't Ulfberht simply an allusion to a pattern welded sword with Ulfberht inscribed on one side, and all of them being made of different quality and from different materials? There are not even two hundred left in existence, and of the ninety six out of those that have actually been definitively identified as such, some are pattern welded, and some are crucible steel, so it is really just a "brand" or "logo" more than it is the idea that any of them are created equally.

With that being said, whether one blade or another is better would be up for considerable debate. Now I think we all remember the documentary on melee weapons when we were kids, and they did use mathematics, ballistic jelly, etc. to determine that out of "style" of weapon, material nonwithstanding, that you can get much better cutting power out of a katana due to the curved blade than you could out of a straight bladed weapon, though the straight bladed weapon will be heavier.

Really, I wouldn't mind being the one to put my money on the khopesh, just to be the odd ball out.

It is interesting to hear you rage at fanbois over the scientific attraction to the katana, and then go on a fanboi expose yourself on the (nonexistant by stylization or material) VLFBERHT (since that is how it is spelled) sword.

Umm, isn't Ulfberht simply an allusion to a pattern welded sword with Ulfberht inscribed on one side, and all of them being made of different quality and from different materials? There are not even two hundred left in existence, and of the ninety six out of those that have actually been definitively identified as such, some are pattern welded, and some are crucible steel, so it is really just a "brand" or "logo" more than it is the idea that any of them are created equally.

With that being said, whether one blade or another is better would be up for considerable debate. Now I think we all remember the documentary on melee weapons when we were kids, and they did use mathematics, ballistic jelly, etc. to determine that out of "style" of weapon, material nonwithstanding, that you can get much better cutting power out of a katana due to the curved blade than you could out of a straight bladed weapon, though the straight bladed weapon will be heavier.

Really, I wouldn't mind being the one to put my money on the khopesh, just to be the odd ball out.

It is interesting to hear you rage at fanbois over the scientific attraction to the katana, and then go on a fanboi expose yourself on the (nonexistant by stylization or material) VLFBERHT (since that is how it is spelled) sword.

I could swear his post was ironic. That’s how I read it anyway.

Best regards to all the members of this forum and especially to the TFP group. I am an impatient boy (sure as many) by the relase of A17. jejejej From Colombia I send my most sincere good vibrations and energy to help you with your work!

:distrust:

I want to ask; With this new update, will there be any possibility, via XML, to use the electricity system to make a powered workbench block?

I refer of course to, a way to make a work table if you do not have connected current, not the option of "press E to use" ...

:jaded:

Thank you and encourage all who wait impatiently. Faatal, congratulations for the wedding

The best Ulfberht swords were stronger than the best Katanas, but the swords were purpose made for different opponents.

Made with “crucible steel” its very difficult for even the best modern smiths to make it perfectly today. Some people think others are fakes, but I believe they were just slight mistakes made in the timing of heating the steel with other elements.

I'll definitely agree that both methods were remarkable technical achievements that very few people today can match.

No one really needs to debate it at all. Whether you are for it or against it is immaterial. It is the reality. People can try and compare other games and give their opinions as to why the cut is too drastic all day long but the people who actually know the code and know the limits have chosen the size that works best. There is no reason why the supported size couldn't be enlarged as the game goes through beta and through optimizations a larger size with good stability becomes possible-- just as the number of supported players could well increase.

Welcome to early access folks where you get to experience ALL the ups and downs of the development process. If nothing else at least you can say that you remember having played on a 10k radius map.

Every time someone complains about the reduced map sizes, you lot should reduce it again and again :encouragement:.

Really? A public poll? First of all I can predict the result without a poll and secondly what does community preferences have to do with necessary performance changes? This is something that TFP feels they need to do to greatly improve performance and stability-- especially with vehicles. We are getting closer to the finalized version. Once the game goes gold there is no forgiveness for unstable worlds where you fall through not fast enough loading chunks or your vehicle just disappears or because 8 players are riding away from each other in 8 different directions the server crashes. The days of justifying poor performance and glitchy terrain with the time honored phrase of "It's Alpha" are coming to an end. So TFP has chosen a benchmark that they can be sure stability and performance are going to be rock solid for up to 8 players. It's not because they think 64 sq km is better than 314 sq km but were afraid to ask the players so they snuck it in without our say so...

Exactly like those servers can edit the maximum number of players. Yes.

Many servers have had to either remove vehicles or limit the battery size to keep the speed down to a level that keeps the game stable. You can probably increase the map size to what its been with the caveat that you may need to remove vehicles or limit their speed just as before.

Technically, corners were added...

Well someone came back from vacation a bit miffed..maybe camping isn't your thing....try a hotel..Glamping maybe.….oh I know....August for teachers is just one long Sunday night!!!

MTFGA

I have a stuffed Peep on my desk that I use for rubber duck debugging, and if I need to invoke the voodoo gods, I wave it over my keyboard. You're really supposed to use a dead chicken, or sacrifice a goat, but those are health hazards and goat blood would gum up my keyboard.

map size ?

Wait.....

EDIT a 80% cut in map size is not defendable imo

i dont know how your think the map is 80 % smaller ??

because the formula that you use on the 314 qs map size and the 64 qs map size is incorrect

old map size: 10x10=100*3.14= 314 thats correct

new map size: 8x8=64*3.14= 200.96

so i dont see a 80$ difference

if i calculated it correct that is a difference of only 37%

i will be glad to give the map a 37% cut for a mutch stable version

Thanks fun pimp for the hard work you do!

i dont know how your think the map is 80 % smaller ??

because the formula that you use on the 314 qs map size and the 64 qs map size is incorrect

old map size: 10x10=100*3.14= 314 thats correct

new map size: 8x8=64*3.14= 200.96

so i dont see a 80$ difference

if i calculated it correct that is a difference of only 37%

i will be glad to give the map a 37% cut for a mutch stable version

Thanks fun pimp for the hard work you do!

From what I understand, it was clarified earlier that we are currently 10km radius (314km area), and they are moving to 8km square (64 km area)

****Just 4sheetzngeegles I generated an RWG 8k map, when I read of the change.

Since region folder always has 144 files or 12 by 12

I divided the cell size by 12 new size 666 i rounded to 660, for personal reasons :smile-new:.

The one on left has street radius 2, the right has 7. Ended up with 72 or 74 building clusters.

https://mega.nz/#!peg0QYAT!0zgyoF-Nhq8GIFCpYl7aeWziUE3IFbcLz5gKUvszHPY

The days of justifying poor performance and glitchy terrain with the time honored phrase of "It's Alpha" are coming to an end. So TFP has chosen a benchmark that they can be sure stability and performance are going to be rock solid for up to 8 players.

+1:smile-new:

Archived