Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Empyrion galactic survival Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 8.0 - Release

Just released a map that is 64 times bigger than the original ones they have. The originals playfields were comparable to Nazgane.

Plus they pushed the build limit of buildings bases from 250 to over 6400.

And that's in just once playfield. There are dozens of worlds in that game, each with a map around that big and yes it is a voxel based. No green zones or red no go zones either. They did away with them.

Meanwhile in 7D2D all the maps shrink 00

What's up with that?

I guess I would be ok with that if only we could see a video on it but all we get is a photo of a dumpster with rust on it and no view...

Should we compare POI density between the two games? I’m enjoying Empyrion but dang all that space is barren.

And the POIs in Empyrion don’t take a fraction of exploration time as the ones in 7 Days and that’s not even counting the skyscrapers.

That’s great that the worlds are bigger in Empyrion but if it’s bigger and more of the same density then I’ll take smaller and packed with goodness.

Just released a map that is 64 times bigger than the original ones they have. The originals playfields were comparable to Nazgane.

And that's in just once playfield. There are dozens of worlds in that game, each with a map around that big and yes it is a voxel based. No green zones or red no go zones either. They did away with them.

What's up with that?

I guess I would be ok with that if only we could see a video on it but all we get is a photo of a dumpster with rust on it and no view...

Give it time sillls... I "read" from MM's last picture on the new graphics, that he was not happy enough with "something or other" to do the vid right now.

Guess it will never be perfect until final anyway... Well, YOU try to figure the man out... I'm out of ideas :p

What's up with that?

Cmon, really? you're comparing empyrion? its a resource hog with 2 people in different solar systems. the pois are tiny. but yes, the maps are HUUUUGE.... 90% of it is pointless in regards of looting, but HUGE!

but really, can the crying stop over the map size UNTIL experiment is out?

there's much bigger things to pick at.. like really, Plains & Maple Forest as full and distinct biomes being a dropped feature?! THERE GOES THE IMMERSION! (rage over the lack of immersion!)

Cmon, really? you're comparing empyrion? its a resource hog with 2 people in different solar systems. the pois are tiny. but yes, the maps are HUUUUGE.... 90% of it is pointless in regards of looting, but HUGE!

but really, can the crying stop over the map size UNTIL experiment is out?

there's much bigger things to pick at.. like really, Plains & Maple Forest as full and distinct biomes being a dropped feature?! THERE GOES THE IMMERSION! (rage over the lack of immersion!)

So your putting down issues that some people have well elevating your own. Now that's pathetic. lol

Controversial opinion apparently, but the playzone should be restricted even further. It's nigh impossible to run into someone else with the current random gen map size. Back when they had large sound radii at least you could follow sounds to find someone but now you can spend hundreds of hours and still not find someone you're looking for.

Controversial opinion apparently, but the playzone should be restricted even further. It's nigh impossible to run into someone else with the current random gen map size. Back when they had large sound radii at least you could follow sounds to find someone but now you can spend hundreds of hours and still not find someone you're looking for.

I agree with you. The unlimited or huge world thing is awesome for what it is, but damn lol. You start a new world and spawn half-way across the map from a friend and you spend the next two and a half hours running to each other to start playing the game.

I vote for the ability to change the map size in the options at one point. Maybe limiting how far down the earth goes to bedrock too?

On another note, thinking of changing the world size in random-gen -- does changing it in the xml file actually reduce the size generated by the map? Or does that kinda break things?

It was such a vast improvement when radiation was added. Having people go out to 60k/60k and just take up a slot on the server was the worst. Not to mention performance hits and the Unity misalignment bug (gun flying out of your hands). I'm still miffed about the sound radii but at least the world is smaller and we have vehicles to travel faster.

Also I find that by limiting the world it feels more real. With an infinite world you can travel along a road forever and just wait to see what kind of city is going to spawn in front of you this time. It starts to take you out of the world and make you realize you're just playing an infinitely procedurally generated sandbox, which for me makes me want to stop playing. With a limited world it feels more real.

I think people are missing the fact that they should compare the standard size of the map with the standard amount of players, 8-16 in the live version. Yes, you can allow 50 players in your server, but you can also increase the map size (and they already said it will still be possible in A17). It's not like you will have to see dozens of players locked to 8x8km, it's just that the resources required will go up accordingly.

Let's chill for now and wait for the release, we will be able to extend as much as our servers can handle, just like the current version.

ps. Can we have a quick word on how is the progress on the new art? Like, if it's an old thing or if it's just started? Or even better, a word on the progress being on par with the expected date so far or not :smile-new:

So, basically all I got out of the last 10 pages in the forum is.....size matters.

Ok... next useless discussion.

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

That's what my wife tells me... "size matters" hehehe :smile-new::smile-new: --> unsure if she's lying or just building up my over-confidence <--

Coughs *size matters* Coughs :jaded::beguiled:

Seriously...

All this discussion about map size is meaningless until some actual gameplay can occur. And... can be witnessed in some format, e.g., MM play-through videos, streamers play-throughs, our own experience(s) upon release to us :fat:

Comparisons to MC is not a comparison, unless MC is heavily modded and higher end graphics resource packs are added. On a completely different note... MC 1.13 "aquatic update", or whatever it's called, was released last week (or there-abouts). Not to mention that far and wide exploration in MC creates huge lag depending on where you create your base, and (of course) your brick of a PC or laptop. Also, many mods that are popular create many issues on their own, let alone combined in a mod pack. Regardless, comparing 7Dtd to MC is like comparing apples to kiwis, soccer to American football (or soccer to Australian rules rugby), baseball to hockey... etc. Just doesn't compare. Don't take me the wrong way, I enjoy MC for what it is :tickled_pink:

@fataal - Congrats on the family addition!

@whoever mentioned "Neebs Gaming" many pages ago... THANK YOU! I've been binge watching their videos ever since. Hilarity! Utter stupid nonsensical hilarity! I've watched many 7DtD youlube vids since I've discovered this great game, but never ran across them until the mention here (don't know why). Now I'm looking forward to their A17 videos! Since I'm too lazy to look back to find who made the mention... I once again give thanks!!!!

BTW... the verifcation thing for posting is a PITA

Okay... I'll return to lurking...

This 2x2 meter map seems a tad limited. Lets try 4x4...

Oh oh! Start the game in a prison cell!

(The below is the starting location for the Stealth starter character)

Equipment:

- 1 shive.

- 1 set of National Geographic Magazine armor.

1 Toilet with murky water.

1 cloth mattress.

Mission one: Get out of the cell by getting zombie to attack bars.

People raise solid points against the 80% reduction of the map. It's kind of sad to see it being waved away by with:

- Yes but more dense!

- No you haven't seen it yet!

I honestly think 80% is way too much of a reduction. Speaking for the explorers on the forum ( I think )

- batman

If the map size just reduces the travel time to the same number of POI's then, its better. Once you add in a Quest system that could use the entire map... its required!

* The Real Batguy, Accept no cheap substitutes. Dine at Al'ls Marina and Burrito Bar -n- Grill. Not a commercial.

<<----- Wears WW1 era aviator goggles just in case a Biplane need emergency piloting! THAT'S being prepared!

With this new Mapsize, I hope SMG sound will be lower now or cannot be heard past 20 blocks by other players, given it's supposed to be a silenced (suppressed, go away) weapon, it'd be nice if we can have a gun that doesn't make a racket attracting other players to kill you.

I guess the upside as they say is yes, more POI's and they're much bigger now, so we've got more vertical.. using more of the upways in terms of loot abundance, not just the Dashong (or whatever) and other sky scrapers.

People raise solid points against the 80% reduction of the map. It's kind of sad to see it being waved away by with:

- Yes but more dense!

- No you haven't seen it yet!

I honestly think 80% is way too much of a reduction. Speaking for the explorers on the forum ( I think )

- batman

Yeah, I think an option to scale down (or up) the generated map would be a great thing to have (aside from modding it). As much as I love being able to go for hours without stopping, in reality, it's going to see the same stuff over and over. Sure, different terrain and all of that but I mean... you get the same loot lol. If it's just 1 - 4 or even 8 - 12 players, the current RWG is just massive. Almost like having on a player in the USA, another in Mexico, another in Canada, and the other friends in Europe. Plus, if you find an area you like or want to move to a friends area, you gotta move your ♥♥♥♥. With how big the map is... I guarantee you most of it will be left behind to never be touched again because of... 2 - 4 hrs on a minibike for one trip lol.

Having the option to scale it down will be nice. Performance, reduction in holding W for 4 hours will benefit; on another note, being able to INCREASE it for, say some of the 60+ player servers, does make sense. I am well aware the game wasn't meant to be players with that many people, but at least the option to reduce the world size for fewer people would be a welcome option.

Another one, while on this, how about reducing the ground from bedrock to surface? That may be harder but I feel there's a lot of resources tied to the massive amount you gotta go through to get to bedrock. Personally, I don't like building there, but if mining im not going to wonder "♥♥♥♥... I bet I missed that nitrate powder because I didn't go deep enough".

So your putting down issues that some people have well elevating your own. Now that's pathetic. lol

how many enemies on screen at once? Trees and foliage? How big ARE the biomes of forest and snow? Asking for a friend.

(Just kidding, I have Empyrion and I know the answers, but do you)?

- - - Updated - - -

With this new Mapsize, I hope SMG sound will be lower now or cannot be heard past 20 blocks by other players, given it's supposed to be a silenced (suppressed, go away) weapon, it'd be nice if we can have a gun that doesn't make a racket attracting other players to kill you.

I guess the upside as they say is yes, more POI's and they're much bigger now, so we've got more vertical.. using more of the upways in terms of loot abundance, not just the Dashong (or whatever) and other sky scrapers.

Good thing the game is designed for Co-Op play and not PVP then, right?

Another one, while on this, how about reducing the ground from bedrock to surface? That may be harder but I feel there's a lot of resources tied to the massive amount you gotta go through to get to bedrock. Personally, I don't like building there, but if mining im not going to wonder "♥♥♥♥... I bet I missed that nitrate powder because I didn't go deep enough".

This is actually a great idea, if it meant the map could be a little bigger than the new size. After all, there really isn't anything to do in the underground (besides building a base there to glitch the AI pathfinding, which won't work anymore in A17, and some reduction to depth doesn't take away this option either), and you can go entire playthroughs only stepping into natural caves without missing any content. I feel that wider > deeper, considering where the POIs and game content are distributed.

This is actually a great idea, if it meant the map could be a little bigger than the new size. After all, there really isn't anything to do in the underground, and you can go entire playthroughs only stepping into natural caves without missing any content. I feel that wider > deeper, considering where the POIs and game content are distributed.

Ruh Roh! Beware the miners fury! It will be swift and intense.

#NotMYUnderground

Actually, i dont have any issues.. maybe the lack of a behemoth. i wanted that behemoth :(

And you kind of glossed over the fact that you cant compare Empyrion map sizes to 7DTD. Especially since TFP said the map was shrunk to help with performance and empyrion still has issues with performance. I mean, you can, but you'd be comparing Space... planets... to 1 state.

Is the reduced size of the map a lot? yeah, of course it is. is it bad? No clue, seems bad... but we'll find out. Will it be too much? Probably, do you know for sure? nope.

and im sorry if i offended ya, i do tend to do that.. one of my special gifts, wasnt trying to put you down or others who feel that its too drastic of a cut, but... we'll see how bad of a cut it is

Want to make a bet that a silenced SMG needs a mod for that? Maybe two silencer mods for that assassin quiet shooting.

Good thing the game is designed for Co-Op play and not PVP then, right?

This is true. To add to this isn't that what the weapon mods are going to be for? Also it isn't like the map is going to be that small. Yeah it is smaller but it will still be a decent size map. Like some have said if you are playing with more then the 8 players that the game was meant for then you are going to want to mod the game to account for that anyway. It isn't like it isn't going to be possible to do this.

Personally, I don't think an increase in POI density is gonna happen. I mean, if the world size gets reduced to counteract the decrease in performance from said world, what's the point in filling this smaller world with more POI's, only to lose the gained performance again?

So I guess you still have to walk 1.4 km to the objective location. It's just that you can only walk this distance 4-5 times before reaching the map's edge.

Archived