Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Right now, not even that, since it IS turned on, but the passenger will jitter around in the seat, since there are timing/attachment issues. If we don't disable, 20 people will instantly complain it is buggy. The humanity!

It might get disabled, once one of our testers notices it is glitchy and someone here decides it makes a bad impression or maybe stay that way for A17 if none of us cares.

Multi-passenger will make the 4x4 truly different, instead of a minibike with different art and stats. So I'm crossing my fingers that gameplay wins out over avoiding a glitchy ride.

RE: Firearms sound radius

Lets say you're on the 8k by 8k map (if that's what it is). The sound of a gunshot can carry for anywhere from 2 to 8 miles in open air, depending on conditions, and the weapon fired. From the center of the map it's only 2.5 miles in any direction.

The sound of a gunshot would be liable to be heard for a good portion of the map, if not the entire map. In a real situation.

A suppressor on the SMG, currently in place, makes it one of the 'quieter' guns with a sound radius of 7 meters/blocks. Players can hear it farther than that, but I would imagine it's not terribly far.

However, while the Heckler & Koch MP5SD3 which it closely resembles, (if not modeled off of), in the real world still produces a decent report, especially if using supersonic ammo. You can quiet the gun, but the bullet still produces a loud crack because it's breaking the sound barrier. Can't hide that sonic boom. It's like cracking a whip. But instead of being noticed at a mile and a half it's a hundred to two hundred meters, maybe.

If the operator were to use subsonic ammunition, it would be even quieter, but in those cases, it is certainly meant for close quarters, room to room fighting. It's still not 'movie quiet' though.

I would imagine that the current sound settings are intended to represent Hollywood quiet as well as some approximation of subsonic ammo. The powder you're making is not as good as the factory maybe. Maybe it burns crappier. Maybe it burns with less energy and efficiency. The rounds are slower.

At the end of the day, the SMG in A16 is already outperforming it's RL counterpart, most likely. And from what I've seen in A17, the new suppressor mods will make guns even quieter, and likely perform even better. So, you have nothing to worry about, but even if that wasn't' the case, you've already got something pretty good in that regard.

TL;DNR - You've already got it pretty good. You might be getting better.

The last I heard the new map could be set to a far larger size than the current map by moving the origin point of the player during runtime.

Someone feel free to correct or confirm this... I'm too drunk to argue properly.

So basically the move to a dynamic origin point, which would've been necessary for larger maps, ends up not mattering much in practice since the map had to shrink for other reasons. The fix is nice in theory, but doesn't improve the unmodified game. Take note: this is a great example to point to whenever an armchair developer thinks TFP should be optimizing and bug fixing full tilt at all times.

as long as we can get deep enough to foil the screamers...

If there was simply a reduction and delay between screamers that'd help a ton. Screamers can be a ton of fun... Until... They're nothing but busy work...

Screamers are the only reason I do a lot of underground base building.

If I wasn't constantly nagged by a daf woman in a white nightie, I'd be building way more top side bases.

Which, actually, I'd be interested in hearing if that's true of most underground dwellers. Seems like we often forget to ask why people do what they do in these discussions.

So basically the move to a dynamic origin point, which would've been necessary for larger maps, ends up not mattering much in practice since the map had to shrink for other reasons. The fix is nice in theory, but doesn't improve the unmodified game. Take note: this is a great example to point to whenever an armchair developer thinks TFP should be optimizing and bug fixing full tilt at all times.

I'd be surprised if the map size limit wasn't put in place to speed up settlement generation time. It's definitely a worthy feature to add, especially for pvp players and popular servers. Personally I thnk map size should be a setting in the menu, with a warning about generation time if necessary.

I think giving people the option to have a far larger map if they want is great and I'm not really seeing why everyone is getting over-excited about something that can be changed with a single integer in the xml.

It has been a while since i went back and actually looked at the new features list.... 2 that i am all for ....

+Must do activities in a category to improve the category and unlock perks in that category 7/24/18

+Not enough skill points to buy everything. Specialization is the vision. 7/24/18

So long as we have the ability to respec if we end up completely nerfing our own builds...

Not that any of us would, but for the newbies...yeah thats the ticket.

The thought of that takes me all the way back to UO...which is the only other game out there to eat more of my time, to have come close to filling as many hours as 7days has for me.

I know what you mean by stealth dog and wolf packs. I really think that they should be making noises. Like a pack of dogs would make running though foliage and or grass full speed. Also barking and howling when they see you.

Not also would this add to game immersion but would chill a player to the bone. ;)

It's very rare that dogs catch me out these days - I almost always hear them coming and take appropriate action. Happens on occasion, but I think it's much better than it used to be. Mind you, I am constantly listening very carefully for them. Sometimes it's just a simple growl - but that's enough, of course. It's also the reason why I always go around with a spiked club in my hands if not using a tool, and have practised switching to that weapon repeatedly.

Wolves are a bit more of a problem - but that would be the case in RL anyway. I've noticed since the last update that the packs are also not running straight at me. The wolf packs are passing close by - so it's basically up to me whether they will see me or not. Don't know if that's by design, but I think it's pretty good. Your instant choice decides if you survive or die - just how it should be.

I'd be surprised if the map size limit wasn't put in place to speed up settlement generation time. It's definitely a worthy feature to add, especially for pvp players and popular servers. Personally I thnk map size should be a setting in the menu, with a warning about generation time if necessary.

I think giving people the option to have a far larger map if they want is great and I'm not really seeing why everyone is getting over-excited about something that can be changed with a single integer in the xml.

What I'm worried about is that their engine crashes, produces errors or has memory leaks with the additional content and so they had to reduce the amount generated to overcome a fatal flaw buried in the game.

Though Feature freeze was announce, I am not sure if Gyrocopter are making to a17 or not, it is still 90% no it won't be and 10% might be developer add them, Can you confirm if a decision is make on such stuff yet or there are still "maybe" for some of features ? is there any list of what is final feature to be released as compare to a16. I understand they are refining and making new artwork, but if software is feature freeze it is freezed, there shouldn't be maybe get added at time of release. right?

Personally, I don't think an increase in POI density is gonna happen. I mean, if the world size gets reduced to counteract the decrease in performance from said world, what's the point in filling this smaller world with more POI's, only to lose the gained performance again?

So I guess you still have to walk 1.4 km to the objective location. It's just that you can only walk this distance 4-5 times before reaching the map's edge.

So you believe in the size reduction but not the density increase even though both pieces of news came from the same source who also happens to be the lead programmer for RGW? If you’re sure you can only walk a distance of 1.4km three or four times until you hit the edge then you should also be sure there will be a whole lot more to see and do on the way. Why selectively believe only one part of the message?

Though Feature freeze was announce, I am not sure if Gyrocopter are making to a17 or not, it is still 90% no it won't be and 10% might be developer add them, Can you confirm if a decision is make on such stuff yet or there are still "maybe" for some of features ? is there any list of what is final feature to be released as compare to a16. I understand they are refining and making new artwork, but if software is feature freeze it is freezed, there shouldn't be maybe get added at time of release. right?

My best answer to you is look at the first page. What is listed is the guarentee anything else is always possible but don't count on it. If something more makes it great if not then wait and see. You never know A17 will have a few updates so some stuff might get put into one of them but until it does don't get Hope's up for it.

bang on

4 furnaces going full tilt on the surface 100m away from the base makes for fun times. on or off depending on how i want to play this session.

bring the loot here thank you very much. best way to farm for fert ingredients as well.

and treasure maps!!!

It's very rare that dogs catch me out these days - I almost always hear them coming and take appropriate action. Happens on occasion, but I think it's much better than it used to be. Mind you, I am constantly listening very carefully for them. Sometimes it's just a simple growl - but that's enough, of course. It's also the reason why I always go around with a spiked club in my hands if not using a tool, and have practised switching to that weapon repeatedly.

Wolves are a bit more of a problem - but that would be the case in RL anyway. I've noticed since the last update that the packs are also not running straight at me. The wolf packs are passing close by - so it's basically up to me whether they will see me or not. Don't know if that's by design, but I think it's pretty good. Your instant choice decides if you survive or die - just how it should be.

That's the only reason Spiked club goes to slot 1, because slots 2-4 are my tools and I can mouse wheel to 1 while running to a better location. Also why slot 8 is my SMG, if I over wheel then I still have something that can take them down.

But I don't like wasting ammo, as ammo is for "The Big' and "The Bad(ass)".

Rolling that into A17, I plan focusing melee as much as possible as I see how you can melee the zombies successfully. It's harder, but doable.

its sad we are still weeks away from the experimental release, wipe festival

HZmqy3z.gif

Some cats have it better than some humans. :)

But yep.

Figure this week and maybe next week for the bug hunt, game tweek thing.

The next week for MM play through, Hype Train Lollapalooza.

Then Weekend Streaming, Forum server crashing (the more the better, this can not be stressed enough)

So, that points to Auguest 20th as the primary target.

That's the only reason Spiked club goes to slot 1, because slots 2-4 are my tools and I can mouse wheel to 1 while running to a better location. Also why slot 8 is my SMG, if I over wheel then I still have something that can take them down.

But I don't like wasting ammo, as ammo is for "The Big' and "The Bad(ass)".

Rolling that into A17, I plan focusing melee as much as possible as I see how you can melee the zombies successfully. It's harder, but doable.

I swear they purposely do things every alpha update to mess with the timing so you have to relearn how to melee. This time will be no different with the added variables of:

1) You just don't know when they're really dead now with the ragdolling and removal of the enemy HP bar

2) They can hit mid-animation which makes for getting sucker punched if you're battling the way you're used to

3) You have to have the cursor exactly on them when the hit lands to actually hit them. Hits are much less forgiving.

4) Power attacks are tempting but tough and you will take hits trying to land them.

I'm just warning people to have medkits and beer handy during the first few hours of new-update-melee-timing-adaptation because the learning curve is real.

Yes. They completely removed AO, as discussed in one or more of the lighting vids, specifically as it was causing performance issues as well as as not getting the kind of lighting they wanted in and out of POIs.

Ambient occlusion and occlusion culling are two different features.

Ambient occlusion:

1447112287097.gif

Occlusion culling:

culling.gif

i dont like idea of a forced class system where i gotta be dependent on someone else to get something i should be able to do alone that ruins that game for me and end of the day not what i payed for. if the feature is gonna be in least put option to turn it on/off tks

So you believe in the size reduction but not the density increase even though both pieces of news came from the same source who also happens to be the lead programmer for RGW? If you’re sure you can only walk a distance of 1.4km three or four times until you hit the edge then you should also be sure there will be a whole lot more to see and do on the way. Why selectively believe only one part of the message?

Ah I didn't know POI density was actually being changed? I thought it was only being thrown around as an idea by some people here a while ago, didn't know it came from a developer. In that case, ok, I believe POI is gonna happen

But will this not counteract the performance gain gained by decreasing the map size?

I swear they purposely do things every alpha update to mess with the timing so you have to relearn how to melee. This time will be no different with the added variables of:

1) You just don't know when they're really dead now with the ragdolling and removal of the enemy HP bar

2) They can hit mid-animation which makes for getting sucker punched if you're battling the way you're used to

3) You have to have the cursor exactly on them when the hit lands to actually hit them. Hits are much less forgiving.

4) Power attacks are tempting but tough and you will take hits trying to land them.

I'm just warning people to have medkits and beer handy during the first few hours of new-update-melee-timing-adaptation because the learning curve is real.

Melee combat, IMO, has taking a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the tips from the rest of us, as I think we all want some advise, especially the dead-is-dead group.

In Fencing, the feint attack is designed to pull an overreaction to look for an under-reaction. I think it applies here.

Archived