Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

WhaaaAAAAAAaa?

Zombies digging down? How did that not turn into a dramatic discussion war?

So... So... We're doing the swiss cheese then? Oh my stars... All those poor poor broken legs and long dig outs to find gear.

Hey? Do you know if there will be an increase on the timer for when a player drops their inventory? Just saying... it could... be a while... before someone can get back to their stuff with digging zombies and such.

Meh it hopefully be able to be modded out.

My plan all along was to nurture periodic discussions about underground threats and digging zombies so that when the time finally came everyone would be too talked out about it.

Also we aren't returning to anything. What faatal is creating with the pathing system is new and beyond anything we had before. You can't judge the future by the past in this case.

What? Did we remove the option to drop your inventory or belt on the ground when you die? Who doesn't return to get their stuff? And who's judging? Though...

Huh...

Already, based on what fataal said, the pathing... maaaaaaaaaaaaan...

fataal? how FAR does that route planning reach? I was just thinking... if someone is building on bedrock.... under a snow peak... Aaand you only scan a path say 30 blocks from a zombies current position...

I only ask this because of Random Gen. Random Gen can have an average terrain height much higher than Navesgane. So you could have some semi-common situations where the player base is deeper/further than the path scannings distance allows. Which... I would assume, turns on a general pathing movement to bring a zombie closer.

Dear lord fataal. you've got your work cut out for you. Bless you homie. Bless you. lol.

I was also wondering, for a zombie horde, is there a hive mind pathing approach taken up to a certain distance is reached from a player? i.e. zombies will move along a general route until they're say within 30 blocks from a target? This is more just random curiosity as this whole AI pathing thing is crazy interesting too me.

Thanks!

WhaaaAAAAAAaa?

So... So... We're doing the swiss cheese then? Oh my stars... All those poor poor broken legs and long dig outs to find gear.

Hey? Do you know if there will be an increase on the timer for when a player drops their inventory? Just saying... it could... be a while... before someone can get back to their stuff with digging zombies and such.

Hold the presses! We will have the opportunity to test/confirm with a17 experimental. For me, so much has changed im holding back any reactions until I get my dirty/bloody paws on it lol...

Meh it hopefully be able to be modded out.

actually, a "Digging Enabled" option would be fantastic to have. Because frankly, there's just a lot of passion for both sides of the coin. Maybe Fataal can comment on a potential for such an option. I wouldn't mind the default to have digging enabled. But sometimes I want to city/world build with an edge of excitement. not the whole sword. I know it's all been discussed and much to Roland's dismay, i've taken a forum break so I'm happy to dig the topic back up. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold the presses! We will have the opportunity to test/confirm with a17 experimental. For me, so much has changed im holding back any reactions until I get my dirty/bloody paws on it lol...

agreed. but dude... AI Pathing? I love that crap. The work fataal is doing is awesome and crazy interesting to me. lol. So I can't help but ask questions. :D

WhaaaAAAAAAaa?

Maybe because you weren't here to start it :fat:

Seriously, we had some discussions. And when experimental hits and not everything works perfectly (which it infallibly won't) there will be more discussions and drama.

There are winds of changes blowing

Gathering leaves up in its path

And the people who are the leaves

Will keep discussing and complaining

I'm sure Eric Burdon really had 7D2D in mind

* Putrid Girl zombie now has 75% more self esteem.

ROFL

What's this for? To highlight what you're saying! also, I'm just forum creepin :D

I'm sittin here checkin in every so often like "NPC Survivors, Bandits"...I love all the other stuff, I just have my mind set on settlement developement, that's all.

EDIT: oh, that's what it's for. ahahaha!

Can we have an option to tune the thunder volume independently? I miss crapping my self to thunder...I'm always on edge with the zombies, but that thunder really knocked me out of my seat XD

The thunder used to drive my dog nuts. I had to turn it down

Other than being confused who Hitler is representing, that was the most clever one to date.

Thank you kindly!

I suppose who Hitler personifies in this parody is deliberately vague. He's a superfan, but more than anything he represents the zeitgeist of the forums. Others have cast him as leading development in some form, but I wanted to go with safer, less 'black' comedy.

Feature list for A18 is already leaked:

Nice! We better keep you around for next April 1st. :lol:

... AI Pathing? I love that crap. The work fataal is doing is awesome and crazy interesting to me. lol. So I can't help but ask questions. :D

Welcome back! If you haven't seen it yet, Roland's compiled a whole separate thread chock full of this stuff, straight from the coder's mouth.

I'm sittin here checkin in every so often like "NPC Survivors, Bandits"...I love all the other stuff, I just have my mind set on settlement developement, that's all.

EDIT: oh, that's what it's for. ahahaha!

Me too.

Laz Man

Best Hitler video yet. I laughed so hard, I nearly chocked. :)

Haha, nice. I am particularly proud of the part where Hilter mentions Loot boxes and coin bundles. The way that (Roland) reacts is priceless.

You can see the exact moment he realizes he will need to eventually share with the community that micro transactions would be added to the game lol....

jU4Wlee.png

I may be late on this one as I am about a day behind reading the forums, but as a Marine, it is mandatory to have one for the Navy:

N.A.V.Y = Never Again Volunteer Yourself

No acronym for the Air Force, but some puns.. Chair Force, Air Farce... I will report back if I remember any others.

WhaaaAAAAAAaa?

I think zombies dig down only during the magical horde nights only. So this is an easy peasy thing.

But was it A9-10 where the zombie diggers first appeared? I really liked them as they could clear out huge amounts of top soil and make it easy to find ores.

I think zombies dig down only during the magical horde nights only. So this is an easy peasy thing.

But was it A9-10 where the zombie diggers first appeared? I really liked them as they could clear out huge amounts of top soil and make it easy to find ores.

I want to see auger bandits. I have bedrock tunnels across the entire map and go full viet kong on the zombies, complete with bedrock pitfalls during the horde nights. Also killing someone with an auger would be great loot...

Now this is an effective strategy, i have an underground base with a ton of forges and war of the walkers work benches, and i have no worry about screamers. It is an almost perfect strategy. The downside is that the entrance sometimes breaks my legs but i am working on a long snaking tunnel to a part of the random gen map that has 4 shops in a valley.

So what would break this strategy, is if bandits could find tunnels and dig into them. I am assuming that bandits will be in once the AI is better, and that they will be smarter zombies with guns. but i am not sure what else they will do. Having a bandit assault wave that comes during the day would be a wonderful curve ball.

I would also love to see a day 7 bandit attack. During a war of the walkers game i raged quit because a football horde destroyed my base defenses before a day 7 night. That made me realize that the war of the walkers hordes were better than the vanilla ones, I never leave the base during a dog day, but war of the walkers forces you to move thanks to the random themed hordes which are sometimes funny but also make sense in some ways.

I have bedrock tunnels across the entire map and go full viet kong on the zombies, complete with bedrock pitfalls during the horde nights.

I think if your web of subways are big enough, then you will still be safe in A17. But as A16 is in it's last days, safety is no longer an issue with me, so I have began my "There and Back Again" swan song adventure of A16.

There and Back Again "rules"

If you're around day 100, start with:

-One stack of food, two stacks of water and one stack of ammo in your backpack.

-1 Mini bike with 2000 gas in it's storage.

-Whatever is on your tool belt.

-No digging or base building.

-Try to explore the entire map, but take your time.

Done! :)

Its more fun than I might have made it sound. I stopped at a gas station to fuel up and I just felt the role-play wash over me. Its great!

I think if your web of subways are big enough, then you will still be safe in A17. But as A16 is in it's last days, safety is no longer an issue with me, so I have began my "There and Back Again" swan song adventure of A16.

There and Back Again "rules"

If you're around day 100, start with:

-One stack of food, two stacks of water and one stack of ammo in your backpack.

-1 Mini bike with 2000 gas in it's storage.

-Whatever is on your tool belt.

-No digging or base building.

-Try to explore the entire map, but take your time.

Done! :)

Its more fun than I might have made it sound. I stopped at a gas station to fuel up and I just felt the role-play wash over me. Its great!

I may give that a shot, once i find the construction c thing i am missing for war of the walkers...

I stopped playing vanilla and started war of the walkers, first mod i have tried. I love everything about it but the pirate ships, which break immersion and have too much loot, and the vanilla recipes locked behind the random gen stuff. I still have not unlocked concrete despite being level 175. I now fully understand why the devs got rid of some of the crafting books.

However it fixed a lot of problems i had with vanilla: the hordes are more fun, and guns were in one piece instead of random parts( who besides a crazy gun smith uncle has random gun parts lying about?) ((my crazy gun smith uncle built a broom handled mouser out of gun show trade parts)).

The hordes in war of the walkers are vastly improved, and partly why i am here and not the steam fourms is for feedback. I just don't leave the base on dog days in vanilla, but you can't stay home all day in wtw because you will get bothered by a horde of footballers or business men or other things.

Back in like alpha 12 or 13 i remember making my super fort, then saying "what's the point" and stopped, just quit the game. A 10 hour project with a massive death trench and high tower, and i got bored and quit. the big missing thing is end game content. I would love a rescue mission, like the airplane crashes or something, and you have to rescue the pilot with a big nasty horde timer going. With the improved AI the wounded pilot could even try to make their way to a building to hide, so it turns into life or death hide and seek.

I would like to see some sort of story line, like your a green beret who is placed into a quarantine zone to assist with helping the survivors, with random aid missions to give medicine and food to settlements. Maybe even have a need for the gyro copter to fly out someone wounded or to collect zombie brains to fly into a cdc location, where you have to craft a cooler and fill it with snow and stuff.....

The problem with the aid missions is things turn fallout 4 with preston garvy constantly letting you know that there is a settlement in distress.... Those got tiring fast. The only way i can see this working is if they are a crafting mission where you make a settlement self sufficient, and once that happens they turn into a super shop where not only you can buy stuff from them, but also ask for resources, or maybe get an npc guard to help on horde nights?

I am exited for alpha 17 because it fixes a lot of problems i had with the game. guns make sense now, better vehicles, and story missions with better looking loot boxes. I also like the improved POIs. One of the big problems with giving early access feedback is you don't know the devs full intentions for the games, so you don't know if a suggestion is something that they will implement, or won't tie in too well with the end product.

The big missing thing is end game content. I would love a rescue mission, like the airplane crashes or something, and you have to rescue the pilot with a big nasty horde timer going. With the improved AI the wounded pilot could even try to make their way to a building to hide, so it turns into life or death hide and seek.

I would like to see some sort of story line, like your a green beret who is placed into a quarantine zone to assist with helping the survivors, with random aid missions to give medicine and food to settlements. Maybe even have a need for the gyro copter to fly out someone wounded or to collect zombie brains to fly into a cdc location, where you have to craft a cooler and fill it with snow and stuff.....

The problem with the aid missions is things turn fallout 4 with preston garvy constantly letting you know that there is a settlement in distress.... Those got tiring fast. The only way i can see this working is if they are a crafting mission where you make a settlement self sufficient, and once that happens they turn into a super shop where not only you can buy stuff from them, but also ask for resources, or maybe get an npc guard to help on horde nights?

I am exited for alpha 17 because it fixes a lot of problems i had with the game. guns make sense now, better vehicles, and story missions with better looking loot boxes. I also like the improved POIs. One of the big problems with giving early access feedback is you don't know the devs full intentions for the games, so you don't know if a suggestion is something that they will implement, or won't tie in too well with the end product.

Yeah, no end game content is what keeps me from playing much past day 100.

A choice of several story lines, some being easier and some being almost impossible would be awesome!

The problem with some missions is they feel so artificial. Making a mission feel like its important and fits the moment, is not easy to say the least.

Yeah, no end game content is what keeps me from playing much past day 100.

A choice of several story lines, some being easier and some being almost impossible would be awesome!

The problem with some missions is they feel so artificial. Making a mission feel like its important and fits the moment, is not easy to say the least.

I think if there is a mission, then it should revolve around keeping the npcs alive for as long as possible. A goal would be to build a large, obnoxious base that attracts the hordes every 7 days. I see people complain about the game stage, and they do have some valid points. The problem is how do you raise difficulty while keeping it fair and not too difficult? I think one option would be a way to give the player an option to raise the difficulty, like loud speakers that summon hordes like a screamer does. If you turn those on during a horde night, then that doubles the zombies while increasing loot quantity and amount. Maybe even a craft able flare gun that allows a night time flare that brightens the area up for a bit while summoning hordes? That would be fun pvp griefing device....

the problem with keeping npcs alive, is i do not see it as being a good option for pvp mulitplayer

Mission stages:

Early game - Making friends and keeping them alive. - Food, shelter and security. The security could be the simple, kill a 100 or so zombies in the area to get a limited no-zombie zone, for example.

Mid-game - Your friends know of other like minded people, that are in more serious situations. The forming of your faction begins, not necessarily you being the leader ether. Requiring you to do deal with other factions of all kinds... one way or another...

Late-game - Some over arching theme/conspiracy/plot begins to be revealed from what you learned mid-game. The safety of the entire area is put in jeopardy! Do you have what it takes to save everyone?

End-game - I don't know if the game should end, but some kind of ultimate victory or defeat would probably be inevitable.

Haha, nice. I am particularly proud of the part where Hilter mentions Loot boxes and coin bundles. The way that (Roland) reacts is priceless.

You can see the exact moment he realizes he will need to eventually share with the community that micro transactions would be added to the game lol....

jU4Wlee.png

Nice shot.

Micro transactions will be added? Have been for awhile now. lol Way to go Roland in keeping up with the game. ;)

Archived