Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Zombie demons spawning between -40 and -52

XD I've actually seen screamers randomly spawn inside a tunnel, but I think that relates to the same glitch that makes them spawn 20 blocks in the air. Half the people I see now a days make their base at bedrock to avoid zombies all together, safe but seems sorta cheap to totally avoid horde nights. dont get me wrong im guilty of it too, perhaps being safe down in the hole is contributing to getting bored sooner.

Its a whole new game for sure. I want:

-A heat base that I never stay longer than absolutely necessary.

-A cool base where I have a series of workbenches making final products, most for traders.

-Two safe rooms near bedrock, each having half of everything I want to keep.

-A horde base at the base of a high mountain. I can focus all my shotgun turrets this way and have them fire at near point blank range and try loot as much bones as possible. Bones -> glue -> Paper -> shotgun shells.

Yeah; a new learning curve is going to be fun!

You take damage when you collide with that block. It doesn't care what side of the block you collide with. So what you are asking is for TFP to add code to check for the one block face that should not do damage, and have that detection work reliably. And that check would have to run in the main update, always. Sounds like a significant performance hit for a minor cosmetic issue on one game block. I'd rate this a nice to have but probably not worth the impact on the game.

That's not entirely true. When the spike is upside down (in a trench for example) you do NOT take damage if you walk into the side of it, only while on top of it. Normal side up spike you do take damage from the side because you actually start walking on top of it. I do use em myself tho, for the exact reasons mentions. The horrible clipping and jumping up and down issues. Fix those and I'll use right side up spikes again.

That's not entirely true. When the spike is upside down (in a trench for example) you do NOT take damage if you walk into the side of it, only while on top of it. Normal side up spike you do take damage from the side because you actually start walking on top of it. I do use em myself tho, for the exact reasons mentions. The horrible clipping and jumping up and down issues. Fix those and I'll use right side up spikes again.

I take damage standing next to them, upside down or not, any time im repairing my spikes, i stand next to them to reach across, and i get hurt all the time

I've been playing on stilts mostly to avoid repetitive labour. As I hear, this won't be an option anymore :)

Although I'm not a fan of constantly dealing with zombies stumbling on my base, I do enjoy being put in a tough spot to figure out new effective and sustainable methods of defense.

I'm right there with you. I usually start with a stilt base 9x9 then place poles on the outside making it 11×11. But, now I'm thinking bigger might be better. I just hope i won't be forced to start in a poi. I like building from the start.

I love big updates like this, and learning / relearning all the things, its like a whole new game. :D

It is awesome to learn a game by yourself. The first days of this game are always gonna be so good memory, all the fear of ..well having eaten again. Without the idea how the dynamics works is even better. Hope pimps keep more stuff in secret till we start and find out the surprises they left for us, by ourselves :)

I'm right there with you. I usually start with a stilt base 9x9 then place poles on the outside making it 11×11. But, now I'm thinking bigger might be better. I just hope i won't be forced to start in a poi. I like building from the start.

be careful with bigger bases, they can lead to zombies spawning inside your walls.. I love doing large builds, and its fun to see the castles and stuff people make, but after a certain size, stuff starts to spawn inside. z's spawn a certain distance from you, and your bed only protects up for 15 blocks, so watch out. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It is awesome to learn a game by yourself. The first days of this game are always gonna be so good memory, all the fear of ..well having eaten again. Without the idea how the dynamics works is even better. Hope pimps keep more stuff in secret till we start and find out the surprises they left for us, by ourselves :)

Psh, I have a server community I play in, we enjoy learning the new stuff together. :D

be careful with bigger bases, they can lead to zombies spawning inside your walls.. I love doing large builds, and its fun to see the castles and stuff people make, but after a certain size, stuff starts to spawn inside. z's spawn a certain distance from you, and your bed only protects up for 15 blocks, so watch out. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Psh, I have a server community I play in, we enjoy learning the new stuff together. :D

Your right; i kind of forgot about that.

Much better, have fun there boys.

:D It's great, we'd have like 20-30 people talking in chat while we did stuff, the game is so much more fun with a community. even if you arent basing together.

its great running around and finding random bases, and admiring the look or how it works, or seeing noob boxes (fresh player temp shelter) all bashed up from them trying to survive a night.

and the trade posts, or group horde nights. :D

:D It's great, we'd have like 20-30 people talking in chat while we did stuff, the game is so much more fun with a community. even if you arent basing together.

its great running around and finding random bases, and admiring the look or how it works, or seeing noob boxes (fresh player temp shelter) all bashed up from them trying to survive a night.

and the trade posts, or group horde nights. :D

Sounds good , I played with no more than 6 at a time, but only in private which pretty much saves us the shame, because some of us were really reckless which brought hundreds of hours of laugh. Its gonna get better.

Sounds good , I played with no more than 6 at a time, but only in private which pretty much saves us the shame, because some of us were really reckless which brought hundreds of hours of laugh. Its gonna get better.

lol it can be fun, specially when you get higher level and start doing stupid ♥♥♥♥ to keep yourself entertained. like drunk punching z's while naked.

Same here, 11 x 11.

2 by 2 stilts in every corner and electric fences reach nicely to every corner that are 13 apart. If you dig electric fence posts in by one block and cover the rest of the ground with plates, zombies will walk over the posts without geting stuck and the wire is just above ground so they get electricuted.

I'm unsure if this was the first one, but this came up with one of the oddest google searches I've done today

I did that one a lonnnng time ago. Working on a new one now. :) i got through half of it last night but got writers block. Hoping for some more inspiration tonight....lol

So i have yet to have a zombie spawn in my base, and i've had some pretty large bases... def not large enough to be protected from my sleeping bag.

are you building in a PoI? i usually aim for desert or forest

So i have yet to have a zombie spawn in my base, and i've had some pretty large bases... def not large enough to be protected from my sleeping bag.

are you building in a PoI? i usually aim for desert or forest

I stopped building in PoI's a long time ago, they were dangerous to log into when you play on a MP server! lolol.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, 11 x 11.

2 by 2 stilts in every corner and electric fences reach nicely to every corner that are 13 apart. If you dig electric fence posts in by one block and cover the rest of the ground with plates, zombies will walk over the posts without geting stuck and the wire is just above ground so they get electricuted.

I was gonna say, but aren't the posts sort of 1.5 blocks high....? So the plates on the ground help them walk right over the post???

Vultures will bump into buildings and randomly pick a new waypoint or circle point, so it works, but could be better. The new ground distance code will push them up or down each time they start a new wander state, so once over a building they would climb, then drop as they get over the streets.

Oh, and when they see you, they will dive at about 3x the old move speed and pay you a visit.

Love ya fataal... But screw you and your Vulture/Falcons! lol. Falcures? Vultons? Whatever... Screw... You... lol. That's gonna scare the piss out of me more than once. I can already see it coming. That... which I won't... see coming...

Reading the talks about the upside down spikes, and that guy that calls it an exploit.

What? Since when in the heck did 7D2D put in a surface attachment mechanism? I'm... Pretty sure...

Spikes sitting on the ground shouldn't always stay in a perfect little line. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure a giant cone isn't really painful if you bump the rounded side. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure some sticks wrapped in twine don't just poof out of existence when damaged enough. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure every single made spike or trap isn't EXACTLY identical. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure spike traps don't just magically get fixed because you bang on them with a hammer, or worse, shoot'em more with a nail gun. Exploit.

Actually... Never mind. Traps are totally exploitable.

If someone wants to justify it, ALL placeable items in 7D2D come with a tacky adhesive coated Gorilla Glue Instant Set surface. You basically just peel off the protective non-adhesive film and stick it to things.

Animations TBD.

What? Since when in the heck did 7D2D put in a surface attachment mechanism? I'm... Pretty sure...

Spikes sitting on the ground shouldn't always stay in a perfect little line. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure a giant cone isn't really painful if you bump the rounded side. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure some sticks wrapped in twine don't just poof out of existence when damaged enough. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure every single made spike or trap isn't EXACTLY identical. Exploit.

I'm pretty sure spike traps don't just magically get fixed because you bang on them with a hammer, or worse, shoot'em more with a nail gun. Exploit.

Actually... Never mind. Traps are totally exploitable.

If someone wants to justify it, ALL placeable items in 7D2D come with a tacky adhesive coated Gorilla Glue Instant Set surface. You basically just peel off the protective non-adhesive film and stick it to things.

Animations TBD.

your sarcasm smells of rotten feet.

I did that one a lonnnng time ago. Working on a new one now. :) i got through half of it last night but got writers block. Hoping for some more inspiration tonight....lol

lol...we might end up with a few. I know we had that one earlier and at least one other person is working on one that I know of. So we'll post them all together when they come in and it should be awesome to see them and what aspects of the community each person incorporated into it.

lol...we might end up with a few. I know we had that one earlier and at least one other person is working on one that I know of. So we'll post them all together when they come in and it should be awesome to see them and what aspects of the community each person incorporated into it.

Be prepared.....:p

Can someone mention me speculating about how bandits won't be in A17 and then being correct about said speculation, but still being satisfied because we got a new wainscoting block.

Archived