Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

*Flips the Coin*

OK! I want my(our) sandbox game to have underground challenge/threats ;) Sandbox game = freedom right? xD

That sort of hits the nail on the head so far as I am concerned.

"Sandbox game = freedom right?"

Have zombies/don't have zombies

Zombies run/zombies don't run

Safe underground/not safe underground

Gyrocopters/no gyrocopters

Bandits/no bandits

etc....

You can see where I am going here....it's all about choices.

To me it's as simple as on/off, in/out......

Not sure how hard it is to make everything available to be on or off (it seems like to do it for everything would be hard unless you could do it in xml files yourself and not menus) but to be able to taylor your game to how you feel it should be would be incredible.

That is for single player though or your own server....if you decide to play MP on someone elses server then your choice is to play on it or not.

So maybe you can build each games XML files on it's initial creation. Each yes/no switch will append a unique segment of XML to the final XML file. The name will be similar to the games name so you can have several types of games all from the vanilla game!

The more I think about it, the more elegant it is.

That sort of hits the nail on the head so far as I am concerned.

"Sandbox game = freedom right?"

Have zombies/don't have zombies

Zombies run/zombies don't run

Safe underground/not safe underground

Gyrocopters/no gyrocopters

Bandits/no bandits

etc....

You can see where I am going here....it's all about choices.

To me it's as simple as on/off, in/out......

Not sure how hard it is to make everything available to be on or off (it seems like to do it for everything would be hard unless you could do it in xml files yourself and not menus) but to be able to taylor your game to how you feel it should be would be incredible.

That is for single player though or your own server....if you decide to play MP on someone elses server then your choice is to play on it or not.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get an advanced page of just clicking boxes, moving sliders etc,. on a lot of things to make it mostly to how we want many things but It doesn't make sense to not have 'x' just because a certain segment wants only certain things.

It also doesn't make any sense to not implement things while the game is being made (although close to being done) to not give these options so things can be thoroughly tested as well and that includes testing underground threats (whatever they may be).

You can see where I am going here....it's all about choices. To me it's as simple as on/off, in/out......

Sometimes the simpliest solution is the best, and simply making everything customizable does resolve any such issues for sure. Reminds me of the big argument I had wth Roland about food & water in the UI haha.

I have to ask one thing, was having someone in hired/in charge of bugfixes inbetween alphas to satisfy those who are tired of certain bugs considered? That way there is someone fixing problems in between alphas while everyone else stays working the next alpha. Its a pain having certain bugs still around, especially when some are game breaking or generally annoying.

Of course not, but why not have both sides of the spectrum, especially since voxel is offering even more freedom? Set your base right in the middle of the wasteland to kill a maximum of zombies if you please, or just hide underground to be totally safe?

You're entirely free to not go underground because you find it boring there, while others are entirely free to shelter themselves to craft in peace.

You're free to turn enemies off if you want a peaceful building play through. No need to handicap the base game.

Even that "childish" Minecraft, as it has been called here, has underground threats. You don't see THEM complaining do you? They just remove them if it bothers them so much.

That "Childish" Minecraft actually uses real electronic engineering with redstone...it was a mod by an electronic engineering student and they adopted it into the base game since there was no way they could have done better . I always have to go to my nephew and nieces house and make them things with redstone that they just couldn't do...people have built real working computers and all sorts of crazy crap with it as well...Last time I was over to visit them , just after Halloween...they made me create a real working Haunted Mansion from Disneyland , complete exterior and line queue and you can ride thru it and I have "animated" scenes using redstone , pistons and other things...

It may appear childish...but it has plenty of things to do and build etc. once you get into it...just some people can not get past the graphics and all the kids that do play it...

All of us 7DtD hipsters remember playing thru our own blocky square world for awhile there ;)

Even that "childish" Minecraft, as it has been called here, has underground threats. You don't see THEM complaining do you? They just remove them if it bothers them so much.

Actually I said "childish" graphics, meaning simplistic (I'm aware they are so it can run on a toaster). And that's why they don't complain, because they can remove it. The more options the better.

An option to turn on/off certain enemy/zombie types would be great as well. If there would be undead moles crawling in your hole, just check them off of the list of what is spawning if you want.

Pretty nice improvements on the vehicles and stuff. Game is really getting along and feeling closer to release quality than it ever has.

I haven't played in the past months shall I say the last year for differents reasons but I've been following this quite closely all along. It's really the only game I won't play for some time but keep being interested for, that should say a lot about how unique and special it is.

I gotta say i'm pretty excited to finally see news about all the big stuff that is coming, aka Bandits, NPC, new pathing algorithm of zombies. Basically different kinds of threats. Don't get me wrong, all the recent additions are really cool and as a developer myself I can only imagine how much work there goes into it, but it's exactly what I said : the additions are cool stuff. Flying and driving is great but it does only enrich the "sandbox" aspect of the game. What I feel is cruelly lacking and one of the reasons I haven't played in quite some time is because the threats in the game haven't really evolved that much. Sure, we have vultures and different zombies, but as a whole you can just juke & trick them like you could in A10 basically (where I started, not a definite reference point).

I can totally understand why there's been some kind of silence around the ongoing stuff that is a huge beast to tame, but could we maybe get some updates about what's actually in the pipes regarding the "gameplay aspect", even if it doesn't translate to some visual demo ?

That "Childish" Minecraft actually uses real electronic engineering with redstone...it was a mod by an electronic engineering student and they adopted it into the base game since there was no way they could have done better . I always have to go to my nephew and nieces house and make them things with redstone that they just couldn't do...people have built real working computers and all sorts of crazy crap with it as well...Last time I was over to visit them , just after Halloween...they made me create a real working Haunted Mansion from Disneyland , complete exterior and line queue and you can ride thru it and I have "animated" scenes using redstone , pistons and other things...

It may appear childish...but it has plenty of things to do and build etc. once you get into it...just some people can not get past the graphics and all the kids that do play it...

All of us 7DtD hipsters remember playing thru our own blocky square world for awhile there ;)

Yep! Computercraft absolutely is not child's play!

(ComputerCraft: Computers, Programming and Robotics in Minecraft)

Archived