Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Maybe it was suggested before... In any case.

Horde nights are pc resourses hungry, especially in MP. How about removing loot, maybe even bodies from fallen horde Z. For killing Z you would get ''blood points'' which you could spend in trade post.

Or maybe after horde night you would get ''horde chest''.

I know looting Zs after horde night is fun.

Horde nights are pc resourses hungry, especially in MP. How about removing loot, maybe even bodies from fallen horde Z. For killing Z you would get ''blood points'' which you could spend in trade post.

Not a bad idea. I don't know if it helps FPS, but looting and scraping all the corpses is tedious.

Since zombie bosses are planned for A17 one solution could be that only they leave corpses and loot on blood nights. Horde chest or blood points sound too gamey, too much MMO for my taste.

Well, yeah. I have been thinking about "bosses" or somesuch spawning either along with the horde or after each "wave".

Those would have the Cool Stuff™ instead of you having to loot/clean up 500 generic corpses.

You'd still have to do the repairs but not clean up hundreds of corpses and sort out boxes upon boxes of trash.

Right now killing the 7 day horde is more of a role playing thing. There is no reward unless you get lucky with a wave of soldiers or somesuch...

All the A17 features are starting to make something like that possible but it feels more like an A18 thing.

There is tons of work to do without casually opening up another can of worms. ;)

Not a bad idea. I don't know if it helps FPS, but looting and scraping all the corpses is tedious.

Since zombie bosses are planned for A17 one solution could be that only they leave corpses and loot on blood nights. Horde chest or blood points sound too gamey, too much MMO for my taste.

hmm, That really is a decent Idea. My twist would be: Make 1 zed per wave that will turn into a "master loot chest".

Oh or... make it somehow you keep a tally on your zed kills and you need to go to a trader to collect your reward then that count gets reset every time you collect.

So 2 tally counts.

1) Overall kill count.

2) a reset able tally count till you go to a trader and collect.

edit: heh or what Gazz said.

edit2: heh very doable... at least just making 1 zed a container that is and the rest just downgrade into nothing.

going to play around with this... Thanks Archetype @ meganoth.

Edit: THIS would be the reason for people to leave their immediate area and explore because as of now, there are no reasons to move from your starting area. THAT is whats missing in the game, the adventure part.

100% agree with this. The need to move around is nearly non-existent and the reasons for wanting to become negligible once you've seen what there is to see. My short list of things to help make exploration an integral part of the game:

1. Unique POI's - they're put at most once onto a map and not necessarily guaranteed to be on every map. Unique loot would be key here. Unique enemies could also be a boon.
  2. Unique Loot - Items that only ever appear once and can't be crafted. Make sure there are enough of them so multi-player games create opportunity for trade instead of coveting what you can never have.
  3. Special/unique enemies - Enemies only found under specific circumstances, such as POIs, biomes, after quest triggers, gamestage, whatever. Named bandit leaders, particularly gruesome zombies of local legend, etc.
  4. More biome diversity - more reasons to seek out each biome. Maybe this includes higher tiers of craftables that require components and/or resources only found in specific biomes. Maybe there's an armor set for each biome, for instance. Loot tables should be more biome specific (the likelihood of finding fresh foods in the desert should be minimal, for instance). Biome specific zombies and other enemies.
  5. Maybe there should be a 30 day roaming mega horde cycle that happens when player(s) stay in one area too long and attract the attention of the starving zombies. If your bedroll stays in the same area for 80% of a 30 day period then the mega horde comes to visit and hangs out until completely destroyed.
  6. Gaining experience for exploring new areas
  7. Exploration feedback - Give us counters for how many distinct POI's we've been to (total included). How many of each zombie we've killed. Which biomes have we been to and maybe the cumulative time we've spent in each. So many things to add to this list.
  8. Quests - More quests that force someone to go to new areas, possibly a long way a way. Everything from "deliver this pretzel to a stubborn fish" to "find the rare fetid dingo kidney" to "OMG why haven't you killed Kenny yet?".

Ok, so it isn't a short list but I'll still stop here. :p

- - - Updated - - -

All the A17 features are starting to make something like that possible but it feels more like an A18 thing.

There is tons of work to do without casually opening up another can of worms. ;)

sk0YTLTu5GrHXX0SHqq3F6jZGXeHUP477z708PXLEqSE8iJ13pvL44hXPzSds66dGXM=w300

100% agree with this, more difficult buildings need better quality loot, and yes a reason to get to the edge of the map - it's a bit like how starvation mod does it.

I've read a lot of people mentioning the Starvation mod, I guess its high time to check it out as I've stopped playing the vanilla.

100% agree with this. The need to move around is nearly non-existent and the reasons for wanting to become negligible once you've seen what there is to see. My short list of things to help make exploration an integral part of the game:

1. Unique POI's - they're put at most once onto a map and not necessarily guaranteed to be on every map. Unique loot would be key here. Unique enemies could also be a boon.
  2. Unique Loot - Items that only ever appear once and can't be crafted. Make sure there are enough of them so multi-player games create opportunity for trade instead of coveting what you can never have.
  3. Special/unique enemies - Enemies only found under specific circumstances, such as POIs, biomes, after quest triggers, gamestage, whatever. Named bandit leaders, particularly gruesome zombies of local legend, etc.
  4. More biome diversity - more reasons to seek out each biome. Maybe this includes higher tiers of craftables that require components and/or resources only found in specific biomes. Maybe there's an armor set for each biome, for instance. Loot tables should be more biome specific (the likelihood of finding fresh foods in the desert should be minimal, for instance). Biome specific zombies and other enemies.
  5. Maybe there should be a 30 day roaming mega horde cycle that happens when player(s) stay in one area too long and attract the attention of the starving zombies. If your bedroll stays in the same area for 80% of a 30 day period then the mega horde comes to visit and hangs out until completely destroyed.
  7. Exploration feedback - Give us counters for how many distinct POI's we've been to (total included). How many of each zombie we've killed. Which biomes have we been to and maybe the cumulative time we've spent in each. So many things to add to this list.
  8. Quests - More quests that force someone to go to new areas, possibly a long way a way. Everything from "deliver this pretzel to a stubborn fish" to "find the rare fetid dingo kidney" to "OMG why haven't you killed Kenny yet?".

Good ideas, I hope some dev is watching! :)

I'm hoping whenever bandits comes you get the weapon they were using, unless a rocket hits them or something equally destructive.

I like the exploration idea but have it that all zombies must be cleared before that area is marked as discovered. This to keep people from running their moped around the map, discovery should also be exploration, not drive by viewing. :)

If you cleared a certain number of areas, you start getting positive reputation and any perks that might give you.

I would like copper ore in a dangerous biome (forget zinc in the brass, it might work)

I like quests that are not the "Kill x number of y's".

Good ideas, I hope some dev is watching! :)

I'm hoping whenever bandits comes you get the weapon they were using, unless a rocket hits them or something equally destructive.

I like the exploration idea but have it that all zombies must be cleared before that area is marked as discovered. This to keep people from running their moped around the map, discovery should also be exploration, not drive by viewing. :)

If you cleared a certain number of areas, you start getting positive reputation and any perks that might give you.

I would like copper ore in a dangerous biome (forget zinc in the brass, it might work)

I like quests that are not the "Kill x number of y's".

I think a good roleplaying solution for RWG would be to always spawn survivors on the very outside edge of the map, with the central quest to get to an NPC or POI at 0,0. Ideally, the world gets more and more dangerous as you progress toward the center (or maybe it just appears that way as your gamestage increases).

Well, yeah. I have been thinking about "bosses" or somesuch spawning either along with the horde or after each "wave".

Those would have the Cool Stuff™ instead of you having to loot/clean up 500 generic corpses.

You'd still have to do the repairs but not clean up hundreds of corpses and sort out boxes upon boxes of trash.

Right now killing the 7 day horde is more of a role playing thing. There is no reward unless you get lucky with a wave of soldiers or somesuch...

I would like to see that met somewhere in the middle. The generic zombie corpses can just go away after 30 seconds or so. They don't need a gore pile with crappy loot. Leave gore piles to loot for the special and boss zombies. That will probably force players to go out more and loot small containers and explore more for the loot that gets taken for granted.

Will be there new ammo type on A17 or just the gun mods ? I mean new type of ammunition like armor-piercing for AK-47, hollowpoint for pistols, tracers and etc ?

There are a few mods with that have different ammo. If they do add new ammo into the game it would be cool if they either added to part of a quest to use or make it or as a bonus to the quest. Example, one quest could be "Take out Bandit Leader using incendiary shotgun ammo."

Adding the ammo to this new buff system(from what I understand about it) would be interesting too. You might be able to make that incendiary ammo more effective against some zombies and not others, also more effective in some biomes or POIs than other. Like the incendiary ammo does more damage to construction worker zombies but nothing to burn victim zombies. It does less damage in snow or swap biomes but more in grass lands. Does more block damage to wood but nothing to concrete. An ammo buff system could probably work on the player and weapons they are used with too. Full Metal Jacket ammo could be great at stopping military zombies and bandits with armor, but do no more additional damage to regular zombies and NPCs. But they cost more to make and damage/wear down the weapon more than regular ammo, and the recoil is worse while using it.

To put both those ideas together as an example you're given a quest that says "Clear marked gas station of construction worker zombies and save survivors trapped in room (which is surrounded by gas barrels)." That would be a awesome challenge/quest IMO.

Kia ora! Been lurking since A14, decided to engage.

Best game I have ever played. Well done and thanks TFP. Been gaming since ZX81 btw... yes I am old.

Just a few comments...

Tracer rounds would be cool.

I don't mind looting vast quantities of corpses after a horde. Two reasons; bones as I never seem to have enough duct tape, and I collect everything (it is surprising how often there is a big project on that needs lots of bits and pieces...)

Possibility for a quest perhaps. Brass mine (or Cu +Zn with a recipe to make in forge) in a specific location spawned like a poi triggered by a map. Could work for any stash of the harder to get resources.

Got my first character to level 200 the other day and have faced 3 hordes at that level. Is it just me but do things get a bit tense when the green glowing ones start to bust thru everything you have put in front of them and just keep coming...

Seems a lot of people play with loot respawn on. Why would you do that? Turning it off compels you to search further and further afield, which for me keeps the interest level up.

Had a cool session the other day. In a city that had those tall apartment buildings packed side by side on both sides. Wandering horde comes along the street toward me. ok, playtime. except - the gunfire woke up about 10 irradiated ferals in the buildings either side of the street that started smashing thru the walls and coming at me. that's how the cities should be! needed a wee tipple after that one...

a drone to take loot back to home base would be quite handy too... but then the kids say I 'over loot' which is like an oxymoron in my view.

anyway, happy new year

One thing i hope to see in the future is better biome blending and adjacent biomes that make a bit more sense (seeing a snow biome right next to a desert kills my immersion). Same thing with weather, hate it when it starts snowing and it piles on the ground so fast, especially if I see it extend all the way out even to the warmer areas of the map.

Hear, hear, mate!

I don't mind having threats underground... It may even enhance the game further!

I just don't want it at any cost...

It is very bad to have Threads underground, they will kill off all the crops and plants and make the soil unusable, that is why we bred dragons.

Archived