Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Will adding in prefabs ever be as easy as browsing them in the steam workshop and subscribing. This would blow my mind.

In addition, will prefabs ever be easy to create by someone using a straight forward tool... way more streamlined than what is available now?

There was a plan for blueprints that would make it so you simply gather the necessary materials to “feed” the blueprint until it is done. If this plan comes to fruition then NPCs will be able to help with building, blueprints will be able to be shared via Steam Workshop, and using this option would incredibly streamline building for those who want that.

This feature may not come until after gold, however, if it comes at all. Same with shopping for prefabs on Workshop. Workshop and full mod support is planned for closer to final release or shortly thereafter

There was a plan for blueprints that would make it so you simply gather the necessary materials to “feed” the blueprint until it is done. If this plan comes to fruition then NPCs will be able to help with building, blueprints will be able to be shared via Steam Workshop, and using this option would incredibly streamline building for those who want that.

This feature may not come until after gold, however, if it comes at all. Same with shopping for prefabs on Workshop. Workshop and full mod support is planned for closer to final release or shortly thereafter

You really should get out more...

Do they plan to have the blueprint to be slowly built over time or suddenly appear?

Also how would this apply if the BP was being feed?

That's what I'm saying; I honestly don't know where Jax and DeVag are coming from...

I'm actually coming from the Netherlands, but living in Germany... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Jax, DaVeg, I know the old gun part system inside and out. It was very limiting.

All you are hearing seems to be "removal of gun parts". Well think of it this way, each of those parts were basically a limited version of what mods are. The new mod system even uses the old assembly screen.

Only one actual item ID in the xml has to be used for all item mods. The mods are stored in another xml file and have an upper limit of 32,000(ish) possible mods. In the old gun system a pistol could only have a single item assigned as it's "barrel"

Now, using tagging and mods, a pistol COULD have 50 different types of barrels. All that do various things aside from editing the same set of stats. One could add damage and take away magazine size; One could have less damage but give you 1hp per shot when you hit an entity; One could give you any level in any skill for a specified time after a kill. 3 off the top of my head that are possible in the new mod system, and that's just scratching the surface..

The limited nature of gun "parts" evolved into a mod system that can now work on any item in the game, not just tools and weapons. The new system can mimic the old system exactly if that is the desire, but, it can also do much much more.

Okay thanks for the update, mate! Nice to see a developer replying on the forum :) I remain somewhat skeptical, but let's see how it plays out.

Fun pimps,

With all the great XML enhancements planned for A17, any chance you can fix the XML reading files routines with encoding limits I discovered in A16?

Pre A16, Xml files could be edited with encoding ANSI, UTF-8,UTF-16 or UTF-8 + BOM. With A16 now, the encoding must be UTF-8 without BOM.

In addition, the XML encoding= specification (XML standard?) seems to be ignored by the new A16 XML reading code.

Fixing this would save a lot of modding headaches.

Not 100% sure at this time. I'm making the system that allows gazz and others to do most things from xml now. There is an AttachPrefab action that can be tossed on an event, so it's doable. Will likely depend on the mod.

Is there a set of offset attributes for the attachprefab action? For example, putting a scope on a rocket launcher as opposed to putting a scope on a Magnum Pistol isn't going to attach to the same physical location in space. Being able to offset the placement of said attachment makes attachments as a whole far more reusable.

Oh and one other thing, is there by chance another set of elements/attributes that could be added to the AttachPrefab action that is an "Allowed" section? For example, say I make a barrel for a Rocket Launcher, buuuut, with an open ended system, it's allowed to be attached to anything... now I have a rocket launcher prefab barrel attached to a Magnum? Seems like a simple list of AllowedItems, where each element is an ItemID, would be a fairly simple and performant option. I assume each Mod is going to load as a Mod Object of some sort. Having a dictionary of the AllowedItems would make it rather easy to implement an "IsAllowed" method on an attachment, passing in the ItemID that the attachment is being attached too.

if AllowedItems == null || AllowedItems.Count/Length == 0 then

return true; //item is allowed.

else

return AllowedItems.ContainsKey(ItemID);

end if

it's one of thoes less than 3 ms calls here. Load time shouldn't be to tremendous either if people are using for (int i = 0 ...) loops as opposed to For Each.

Well I'm glad if the game adds cool mods to guns but keeps it somewhat "real".

Also with all the talk of buffs and wellness changes and sickness and health meta. I'm wondering will bandages/medkits ever be usable on friends? Like how other games (Killing Floor 2, DayZ) make it so healing friends is more beneficial than healing yourself kinda thing? (Obviously this wouldnt be in affect in single player)

Why not fot SN. We could still heal NPCs and Animals.

Maybe we should make them buy the next alpha as a new game. Then it would really feel like a new game to everyone!

2300+ hours. I'm in as well. Especially since I can't KickStart anymore. (I really want a 7DtD shirt. Hat. Zombie named after me... Unless trains make it in, too.)

So this is why you're always on the toilet. Just FYI man, you should see a doc about such dysfunction. Playing around on the toilet all day isn't gonna fix it. :D

How much wood would a guppy get if a guppy would get off (/strikethru on) his arse (/strikethru off) the toilet to get wood?

Actually, if you think about it, this is probably a good thing. The wrong areas have become callused and a guppy could END UP with lots of splinters. (And from what I understand 7D2D hasn't yet developed an axe a guppy could 'handle' safely...) (although it sounds like we could have thrown axes split wood for us in A17...)

How much wood would a guppy get if a guppy would get off (/strikethru on) his arse (/strikethru off) the toilet to get wood?

Actually, if you think about it, this is probably a good thing. The wrong areas have become callused and a guppy could END UP with lots of splinters. (And from what I understand 7D2D hasn't yet developed an axe a guppy could 'handle' safely...) (although it sounds like we could have thrown axes split wood for us in A17...)

Guppy prefers theoretical work. He craps out posts from upon his throne so theoretically....let's see....15000+ posts divided by......well, it looks like like he's created at least 30,000 sharp sticks and sprained his texting thumb twice.

this page is loaded with game info. much insight. so inform.

i saw someone on the steam forum say this game was abandoned, so i came here for confirmation. i'm taking the random gibberish on this page as proof of the claim.

seriously though. is the new update going to be released in january? if not this month, when?

seriously though. @guppy: asl?

seriously though. i already know the answers to all these questions. especially the one about guppy. seriously. i know exactly what room you're in. i know you can feel me watching you. i know you can feel my love. i know it. i know it. I KNOW IT! WHY WON'T YOU LOOK MY WAY!?!? WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO MAKE YOU MINE!?!?

seriously though. those new house maze things? i don't see the point. stack some blocks and cut through the roof to get to the loot. such a horrible game play decision. i'm going to go write a negative review about it on every gaming website. every. single. one.

seriously though. i'm bored. someone show me some skin.

Archived