Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Please

Moderator Note: I will be cleaning up anything not on topic to this latest video at least for the next several pages. Ask questions and give feedback on the video and keep other topics to other parts of the forum. If Madmole returns to answer questions and make additional comments I don't want him to have to sift through a lot of off-topic posts. Thank you.

--Roland

Could we maybe try to continue this beyond "several" pages?

I'm tired of wading through dozens of (whimsical yet irrelevant) posts to find something that is actually informative.

Moderator Note: I will be cleaning up anything not on topic to this latest video at least for the next several pages. Ask questions and give feedback on the video and keep other topics to other parts of the forum. If Madmole returns to answer questions and make additional comments I don't want him to have to sift through a lot of off-topic posts. Thank you.

--Roland

I'm tired of wading through dozens of (whimsical yet irrelevant) posts to find something that is actually informative.

Good point Omega, we all want daily updates of what is going on, not kidding. Though, we are a big comunity , sometimes we like playing with words and stuff, yet we are aware that pimps are working as usual.

I don`t know if anyone gives daily updates of a years long project though (not counting the Project manager or inbetween com). When I work at the office (I am not a pimp) most of the time we just do what we have to (quietly), we don`t brief around every hour or day or answer every question. We need our time and that`s it. Noone like to work with ppl asking "waa, what is this , or look at that , how is gonna work? " .

Devs just need time and we gave all our time to them, as much as they need. Impatient ? - hell yes. Knowing it will worth it - umm.. find something better than "hell yes".

Cheers :))

Now THATS ridiculous. Wires all over the place and scrap metal siding are the “bomb dot com”. If I could decorate by having piles of mechanical parts heaped up in corners I’d be even happier.

Gritty is good!

I can only imagine what your home looks like.

Good point Omega, we all want daily updates of what is going on, not kidding. Though, we are a big comunity , sometimes we like playing with words and stuff, yet we are aware that pimps are working as usual.

I don`t know if anyone gives daily updates of a years long project though (not counting the Project manager or inbetween com). When I work at the office (I am not a pimp) most of the time we just do what we have to (quietly), we don`t brief around every hour or day or answer every question. We need our time and that`s it. Noone like to work with ppl asking "waa, what is this , or look at that , how is gonna work? " .

Devs just need time and we gave all our time to them, as much as they need. Impatient ? - hell yes. Knowing it will worth it - umm.. find something better than "hell yes".

Cheers :))

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't mean to imply that we shouldn't have fun on the forum. It just seems to me that a thread entitled "Dev Diary" should be somewhat more focused on the thoughts of the "dev" in question, and less on digressions of the (im)patiently waiting forum users. The meat to bread ratio is too thin. Besides, we have other places dedicated to off-topic discussions, and the ability to start threads on whatever subject we chose.

I know it's not a perfect system, and I think Roland and the other mods do a good job keeping things civil. However, I often dread sifting through pages of fluff and speculation to find substance.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't mean to imply that we shouldn't have fun on the forum. It just seems to me that a thread entitled "Dev Diary" should be somewhat more focused on the thoughts of the "dev" in question, and less on digressions of the (im)patiently waiting forum users. The meat to bread ratio is too thin. Besides, we have other places dedicated to off-topic discussions, and the ability to start threads on whatever subject we chose.

I know it's not a perfect system, and I think Roland and the other mods do a good job keeping things civil. However, I often dread sifting through pages of fluff and speculation to find substance.

One problem is where to make that cutoff. People don't read a post by Madmole and immediately start posting pictures of Smokey & the Bandit for no reason - the conversation drifts organically. If we had easy to apply criteria and many hours we could probably prune the thread, but the result may not be very coherent.

There's also the mood of the community to consider. Cutting out lots of people having fun will lead to a lot of grumpy users. I believe that's why the dev diaries get freer reign: for the sake of a friendlier, more hands off environment.

You know about the first post, right? I believe Roland's linked to every time Madmole's made newsworthy posts in this thread. If you're looking for the "meat" of the thread, is the first post not sufficient?

I'm not fluffing anyone.PERIOD! LINE DRAWN!!

OUCH

You could look on each dev's user page and follow their individual posts much more quickly. Just sayin'. :p

Sounds like you played a mod with bandits before they had any real love or attention from TFP devs.... i know nothing but am sure they'll be nothing like you have experienced when actually worked on.

Yes and no. Bandits are hidden in the vanilla game files. I figured out how to "activate" them and tweak them. They are Fun Pimps's Bandits, they're just not finished. When I first did this I added Bandits to Valmod but only to certain biomes. Right now I am playing WotW mod and it basically did the same thing and as well as adding the survivors too. As far as I know the WotW Bandits and survivors are nothing more than the vanilla when it comes to AI.

This is not sound snarky..

Click on MM name then view forum post. It will always give you the latest post MM (or any dev for that matter) has done recently. You will always be up to date with the latest information by them.

Also a community member has graciously made a dev tracker and it works great!

http://7d2d.rocks/

brought to you by: Deccypher

If for any RL (or whatever) reason you do get behind, it takes just a couple clicks to be brought up to speed.

Also, if you have a game specific question, just ask Tin or myself; we will be happy to make up features and details to share with you.

Ooh, I know one thing tin... We should talk about the teleport pads. They look like Lilly pads but teleport you to different servers... But that's an a18 feature, so I won't go into further detail.

Also, if you have a game specific question, just ask Tin or myself; we will be happy to make up features and details to share with you.

Ooh, I know one thing tin... We should talk about the teleport pads. They look like Lilly pads but teleport you to different servers... But that's an a18 feature, so I won't go into further detail.

Yes. Even if it means trying to initiate a #gate which == exciting banter.

edit: and might possibly give moderators and dev's headaches..

dang it Gup! Your BFF MM told you to not tell anyone :anonymous:

--Roland

We can't please everyone so we err on the side of whimsical and fun...mostly because we've erred on the side of "keep it to business" and it sucked big time-- and that was when Madmole was here pretty regularly. So the First Post handles the business with links to informative sections of the dev diary and the rest of the time we remember that this is the house of the FUN pimps and act accordingly. That quote of mine was simply to end off-topic conversations that were in progress when the video hit and return the thread to the topic so that Madmole could read any questions in reaction to the video. We had several pages of on topic conversation and questions and Madmole answered the questions he was going to answer and now we are back to free form until the next information dump happens.

I can only imagine what your home looks like.

My home is appropriately decorated as a Pre-Apocalypse domicile.

dnSJnB1Q.jpg

Archived