Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I said splat maps are coming in A18, not new RWG code, which is coming hopefully A17.

This Splat Map Tech sounds like it will allow for way better landscaping blending.. (exciting to hear)

Always been fascinated by computer generated landscaping. I used to use VistaPro which was fun.

I'm sure you did, and I'm also sure 80% of the map still wasn't uncovered. Most people stick to the roads and there is much unlocked space.

Define "80% of the map".

Are we talking square footage of area uncovered? With distant terrain you can scout an area from a high point without having to actually uncover it.

Are we talking about people never travelling further than a 10% radius from their starting point?

As many have mentioned, it's not how much land you can explore, it's how far you can travel in a straight line. I used to have great fun preparing looting trips to a city a day or two away. I'd have to make sure I had enough supplies with me to build a temporary base overnight and a hard time choosing what to bring back with me when time came to return. Now there's little opportunity for such extended trips and with towns being so close together no point in actually doing one.

People stick to the roads because _ALL_ POI's are on a road. Stick some high-value POI's in the wilderness without road access and you'll likely see people wandering off into the wilds to look for them.

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.

I think it's a mistake to interpret the data that way through. It's not about exploring a large percentage of the map, it's about the freedom to drive in one direction without encountering a wall.

My group and I went back to a16.4 for a variety of reasons, but one of the big ones is the dramatically larger map sizes. Our mid-late game consisted of packing up and moving to a new city in search of the next perfect base / build project. We always saw something new and unexpected, and it kept the game fresh and made each playthrough a mystery because you didn't know if your first area was going to be any good or not.

I'm sure 90% of our exploration was completely confined to areas near major roads, which is a very minor portion of the map, but the difference is we could pick a direction and just go without almost immediately bumping into the end of the map after a town or two.

Hay Madmole, what about that new city that is being built in the wasteland? The one on the navezgane map?

Nine city blocks and surrounded by radiation. Hmmm...?

Are we going to see that in Alpha 17?

There will be no changes to A17 that require a new game start, so no.

What is a splat map?

In essence a texture that can be used to store data or provide a blueprint for the application of different textures.

They have their place but if you're using them to store heightmap (and other) data for terrain they can quickly chew up your memory and/or disk space.

I find them useful for texture blending on terrain although I'd generate them on-the-fly if possible otherwise you'll get the memory/disk space problem mentioned previously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_splatting

Define "80% of the map".

Are we talking square footage of area uncovered? With distant terrain you can scout an area from a high point without having to actually uncover it.

Are we talking about people never travelling further than a 10% radius from their starting point?

As many have mentioned, it's not how much land you can explore, it's how far you can travel in a straight line. I used to have great fun preparing looting trips to a city a day or two away. I'd have to make sure I had enough supplies with me to build a temporary base overnight and a hard time choosing what to bring back with me when time came to return. Now there's little opportunity for such extended trips and with towns being so close together no point in actually doing one.

People stick to the roads because _ALL_ POI's are on a road. Stick some high-value POI's in the wilderness without road access and you'll likely see people wandering off into the wilds to look for them.

80% of the fog of war was not removed.

I think it's a mistake to interpret the data that way through. It's not about exploring a large percentage of the map, it's about the freedom to drive in one direction without encountering a wall.

My group and I went back to a16.4 for a variety of reasons, but one of the big ones is the dramatically larger map sizes. Our mid-late game consisted of packing up and moving to a new city in search of the next perfect base / build project. We always saw something new and unexpected, and it kept the game fresh and made each playthrough a mystery because you didn't know if your first area was going to be any good or not.

I'm sure 90% of our exploration was completely confined to areas near major roads, which is a very minor portion of the map, but the difference is we could pick a direction and just go without almost immediately bumping into the end of the map after a town or two.

Its not like we don't want to support large or infinite maps, but lets be realistic. A very high quality high performing map beats an infinite or very large and ugly slow performing map. I prefer smaller maps because it takes hours of real time to meet up with your friends or hours between frags which is boring for pvp.

Well if TFP aim for small maps i suggest to consider a option to have a Region you can transfer from map to map.

Means on a server you can say we have a Region in the center of the map you can build your bases, and every sunday we change the seed and this region will be in the next map too. (alternative maybe again my wish for a real truck with a dozend Crates for storage)

Combined with the ability to transfer playerbases as prefabs it would be a really nice sollution

(means every player can have one of these trucks that have a own savegame file next to the player savegame file (or is included in the placer character savegamefile))

Welcome to every game on the planet.

You mean except Minecraft, the Witcher, Daggerfall, No man's sky, The original "Elite" games, GTA and many others?

Hell, Space Engineers can manage full Earth size planets with a voxel engine if you have a half-way decent computer. Not the built-in planets, somebody created a world with a 48,000 Km diameter (if memory serves) which is significantly larger than the planet we're on.

The servers you watched could have quite easily limited the size of their own maps with a few xml edits. That's not a bug, that's laziness.

Now, instead of having a large map that can be made smaller we're stuck with a small map that cannot be made larger.

There ya go, found the original post for the massive Space Engineers planet...

Its not like we don't want to support large or infinite maps, but lets be realistic. A very high quality high performing map beats an infinite or very large and ugly slow performing map. I prefer smaller maps because it takes hours of real time to meet up with your friends or hours between frags which is boring for pvp.

Depends on how you play I guess. For the way we play (singleplayer and coop where we travel together) it's absolutely no comparison, we'd for sure prefer an ugly and slow performing infinite map instead of a high quality restrictive one.

We're all actually back on 16.4 after all almost abandoning the game due to the a17 changes, so I can say for sure that good graphics (and even performance) is worth nothing if you're forced to play on a restrictive map. Bumping into map edges absolutely kill the game for us.

Is this at least something that could be added back in with a future update? (With a disclaimer? Kind of like a *Beta* feature that is "unsupported"?)

I'm not looking for anything better than what was in a16.4. I'm willing to mod back in all the a16 features and systems (schematics, perks, balance, etc), but it's just not possible for us to mod the infinite on the fly mapping of a16 back in.

If they have the horsepower, let'em use it. Let them spend 12 hours generating a 32K map, 24 hours, 64K, whatever.

If you said you have problems with chunks/regions/whatever at a base technical level, more people would be accepting of the limitations.

But as it stands, you just said "I prefer", which just off-sided a whole raft of community members.

i think the goal should be 16x16 maps

Thats still only the half surface as the old 10km radius maps had. but 16x16 is a reasonable size up to 40 player in my opinion.

8x8 is more a size for games like battlefield 2 (2h rounds, vehicles, 32 versus 32, no building, no hiding in PVP)

I'd be aiming for 32k. You can do 16k with 17.2 and it still feels small, especially with the island layout. 32k gives you the chance to do an island without it feeling too small.

As has been mentioned, many of us will quite happily wait several hours or more to generate a huge map.

To Devs,

(wasn't sure where else to post this)

I am just wondering when we will get the more creative stuff back into the stable version. Such as the many paint options, off the top of my head I know the library isn't there unless I am just missing something to learn it. Also the refrigerator bot/top. Are these being kept out of the stable for a specific reason or will we just not see them in the stable version any more?

I'd be aiming for 32k. You can do 16k with 17.2 and it still feels small, especially with the island layout. 32k gives you the chance to do an island without it feeling too small.

As has been mentioned, many of us will quite happily wait several hours or more to generate a huge map.

A 16x16 island should be arround 170 Square kilometers.

Thats not really huge, but i think decent for a 20 slot server and a season.

But sure so bigger so better

To Devs,

(wasn't sure where else to post this)

I am just wondering when we will get the more creative stuff back into the stable version. Such as the many paint options, off the top of my head I know the library isn't there unless I am just missing something to learn it. Also the refrigerator bot/top. Are these being kept out of the stable for a specific reason or will we just not see them in the stable version any more?

The fridge blocks don’t have open “looted” versions yet. So they were taken out.

i think the goal should be 16x16 maps

Thats still only the half surface as the old 10km radius maps had. but 16x16 is a reasonable size up to 40 player in my opinion.

8x8 is more a size for games like battlefield 2 (2h rounds, vehicles, 32 versus 32, no building, no hiding in PVP)

I think the goal should be:

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c6228a1353749367741a1a9

...dreaming

Archived