Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.

Thats weird, Ive been on 20k map servers where I get on a bike and travel to every city on the map and every single city is looted.

Alot of people dont travel, but those of that love to explore really miss the larger sizes. I mean all these new vehicles need a big pen to roam in.

Yeah I'm feeling the same thing, Jax. Radiation is removed, so that their potential future biome doesn't need to be implemented.

What on earth are you guys talking about? Radition biome isn't removed. Whatever bits of random gen escaped into 17.2 does not represent what we're working on.

What on earth are you guys talking about? Radition biome isn't removed. Whatever bits of random gen escaped into 17.2 does not represent what we're working on.

Will the bits of RWG that are being worked on be available in A17x? Just curious, no sarcasm intended. The reason I ask is because I'm on my 4th RWG creation this morning for a new YT series and haven't found a map that is not 70% water. I literally start spawned in the middle of a giant lake, I went into flight mode and could not even find land?

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.

There's a tendency for MP groups to stick close to each other, this isn't an issue in SP but there is a tendency to stick to a single area once you have found a good place to set up if you're on your own.

I play SP and I find an 8k map to be far too small. Hell, I generated a 16k map for 17.2 and that felt too small. I wandered naturally to find a good spot as I usually do and ended up in the same place twice with two consecutive games.

It's not the square footage of explored areas that's important, it's the ability to walk for days in a straight line without being constrained by an artificial barrier.

got it wrong RWG is to PC as updates are to console. it hasnt improved since 17.. oh we made tweaks to reduce mem.. but it cost you more land that you already couldnt spare..

Modding should improve a game, not have to fix it..

Tell that to Bethesda. That said modding an early access game is like leaving your new shoes by 10 puppies.

They don't. Vanilla without setting any options is still every 7 days, right?

snip...

No. Please see Roland's post below:

Just a plus. No minus.

Frequency 7 Range 7 would be a random bloodmoon every 7-14 days.

Frequency 10 Range 20 would be a random bloodmoon every 10-30 days.

Frequency 3 Range 1 would be a random bloodmoon every 3-4 days.

etc.

A little optimism would be nice. The reason for all the bugs is that prior to 17 RWG had its own way of generating which caused much more cpu use and often made adding standard features impossible. We changed it so that it generates a height map, biome map, etc so in game (once generated) it is identical to how we run Navezgane. This allowed us to do the quests (how can you do a quest if the town isn't even there and the game doesn't even know?) Anyhow long story short Robert also did all the new attribute/buff/skill code and didn't have enough time to get RWG bug free. So now the game code is *mostly* stable so he's preparing RWG to be gold quality. This might explain some random bow bugs not being fixed.

The list goes on and on, but we want to use splat maps too, another thing impossible with the old RWG so terrain will look 1000x better in A18 and RWG will be able to have it too now that we have a unified way of rendering worlds.

Sounds great! :)

Hope this fixes roads to.

If you increase the difficulty in the game you still get the same xp reward bonus and loot drop chances, right? I would love to see it changed that you get rewarded for going up in difficulty.

You can do that manually by increasing xp and the difficulty slider.

A little optimism would be nice. The reason for all the bugs is that prior to 17 RWG had its own way of generating which caused much more cpu use and often made adding standard features impossible. We changed it so that it generates a height map, biome map, etc so in game (once generated) it is identical to how we run Navezgane. This allowed us to do the quests (how can you do a quest if the town isn't even there and the game doesn't even know?) Anyhow long story short Robert also did all the new attribute/buff/skill code and didn't have enough time to get RWG bug free. So now the game code is *mostly* stable so he's preparing RWG to be gold quality. This might explain some random bow bugs not being fixed.

The list goes on and on, but we want to use splat maps too, another thing impossible with the old RWG so terrain will look 1000x better in A18 and RWG will be able to have it too now that we have a unified way of rendering worlds.

So the planned RGW changes are planned for A18? That's a bit sad to hear.. Hopefully it will come soon, so I can play the game again :)

Its on the list.

Nooooo! I LIKE Trader Jen as he/she is. Thats like putting the fat hawaiian on a diet, or feeding the hungry woman.

MM, Gaz and other developers popping in.. the big problem is complete lack of communication for weeks on end.

If you just posted a monthly roadmap of what you are hoping to get done, and the day of a release one of you guys popped in and just said something like,

"Hey guys, we're releasing an experimental today. There are a few significant improvements you'll see, but rwg has issues right now because its only partially done. If you want to just play, stick with 17.1, but if you want to look to see some of the changes, opt into 17.2"

All our server members leave our steam on experimental, because we like to see the direction of changes.. but if we knew that new worlds would have such massive generation issues, we would have turned that off before updating.

We don't need specific timetables or specific goals, just real significant regular communication on what to expect. A list of features and bugs just doesn't cut it many times.

We've considered rolling back to 17.1, but then we can't offer bug reports, or post about things you guys miss (Like all the controller issues we keep reporting.. .I know none of you guys play with a controller, but you really NEED to have at least ONE person do it on a regular basis, since its a base feature.

Horns on vehicles don't have a controller bind, the run toggle on vehicles with controllers still isn't there (though it was supposedly done in December), targeting on spotlights and turrets looses focus and is broken for controller users, and frequently steam's onscreen keyboard gets screwed up.

(There isn't even any controller use in map previewing, yet stable releases go out with all these bugs completely forgotten. IMHO a stable release should have basic functionality, and none of the aforementioned issues were in a16.. they worked properly in those stable releases.)

I know people have held your feet to the fire for not making specific goals in the anticipated timeframe, but just going dark for weeks on end isn't the solution.

Even just a weekly update on what's been accomplished, and whats on the plate next would be fine.

What are you talking about??? 17.2 hasn't been released yet, it's an experimental version still, one you have to opt in on to even see... Not only is it still cooking, you're burning your mouth by tasting it. I have no doubt there will be updates to this branch before 17.2 is released.

Yep. We call it experimental for a reason. Testers caught a nasty bug with non 100% xp multiplier being incorrectly applied (recursive), so I'm finishing up the fixes for that.

Will future A17 updates likely be tweaks and we should expect another significant Alpha (18) update to implement any remaining big changes (like RWG)?

Our focus is to optimize performance, fix bugs and balance A17. Hopefully A17 will include this new RWG, as it is a top priority too.

Thats weird, Ive been on 20k map servers where I get on a bike and travel to every city on the map and every single city is looted.

Alot of people dont travel, but those of that love to explore really miss the larger sizes. I mean all these new vehicles need a big pen to roam in.

I'm sure you did, and I'm also sure 80% of the map still wasn't uncovered. Most people stick to the roads and there is much unlocked space.

Will the bits of RWG that are being worked on be available in A17x? Just curious, no sarcasm intended. The reason I ask is because I'm on my 4th RWG creation this morning for a new YT series and haven't found a map that is not 70% water. I literally start spawned in the middle of a giant lake, I went into flight mode and could not even find land?

I think some of the new code accidentally ended up in 17.2 exp. It will be done when its done, hopefully A17x.

There's a tendency for MP groups to stick close to each other, this isn't an issue in SP but there is a tendency to stick to a single area once you have found a good place to set up if you're on your own.

I play SP and I find an 8k map to be far too small. Hell, I generated a 16k map for 17.2 and that felt too small. I wandered naturally to find a good spot as I usually do and ended up in the same place twice with two consecutive games.

It's not the square footage of explored areas that's important, it's the ability to walk for days in a straight line without being constrained by an artificial barrier.

Welcome to every game on the planet.

Man, I give up with the RWG for now. I spent over an hour this morning generating 4 new maps.... everyone one of them is a GIANT donut shaped lake. like 70% of the map, or more, is lake. FeelsBadMan

Thats odd, what kind of seeds are you using ?

Every time I have started a new game since A17 (5 times now maybe more) I get a fine mixed biome world.. Apart from roads which look like they are from a roller coaster and the lack of major cities I been reasonably happy with my RWG worlds.

Archived