Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I never seem to have much luck with Zombie loot but I am on Day 5 level 10 and not seen a single drop from a zombie yet.

This is 17.2 (b20)

Thats weird I was getting noticeably more bags when I was playing. Even got two in a row once.

But then again, I also dont have encumbrance working, or status effects from beer working, and the first 8k map I tried was great.(with the exception of massive amounts of radio towers ect.) Hmm, I guess I say "great" in comparison to some of the abomination of maps I have been hearing about on the forum.

So I think experiences are varying greatly atm lol.

Also found all the working workstations on day 1 and had 2 beakers by day 5

Hi all,

Having a blood moon every 7 days is what the game is about. BUT! Having random Blood Moon nights would be beyond Awesome. Think about it for a few minutes. Day 5 - you are gathering all of your resources needed for base building. Then at 1800 hours - the screen goes into blood moon - You have 4 minutes to prepare for a hoard! If it was randomized that would be awesome and give some players heart palpitations! And - that is what the game is about...... Zombies, fear and the unknown.

Ok, I am done.

Hi all,

Having a blood moon every 7 days is what the game is about. BUT! Having random Blood Moon nights would be beyond Awesome. Think about it for a few minutes. Day 5 - you are gathering all of your resources needed for base building. Then at 1800 hours - the screen goes into blood moon - You have 4 minutes to prepare for a hoard! If it was randomized that would be awesome and give some players heart palpitations! And - that is what the game is about...... Zombies, fear and the unknown.

Ok, I am done.

You mean like this: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?109536-Alpha-17-2-Experimental-B20-bug-reporting-thread

The new settings possibilities are great.

- Random blood moon: I started a game with a blood moon every night BUT a random gap of 7 days. This creates real stress and the obligation to organize differently, I love it. On the other hand, to display the day in red when a blood moon is programmed for the evening spoils a little the pleasure ... I would prefer to be warned towards 6 PM by the first thunderclap.

- XP Multiplier: I set it to 200%. I suspected that there would be a concern (one of those we like to have): gamestage is proportional and I met ferals from day 4. So, yes, I level up faster, but the game becomes much more difficult. Those who want to use this setting to start building earlier have interest in playing Nomad or less ... Awesome.

- Damage of zombies reduced against blocks: 50%. For the moment, I especially saw the interest in the POIs. Zombies take longer to leave a room, it avoids having too much at one time. I also started my base earlier, wooden this time, because it will be easier to defend.

In short, excellent options that can be mixed for everyone to launch the game that best suits his style of play.

Well played guys :)

The problem is with your expectations. You are expecting that each release is put out with you, the player in mind. They are not. They are tweaking and experimenting with things. The goal at this time is not to make a game that 100% satisfies you.

Once you adjust your perceptions to this everything else falls in line.

Your perception is warped, unless unintentional breaking of basic functionality like hunger and stamina is experimenting and tweaking things to you.

We generated a few worlds today on 17.2, and I gotta say this is the worse the game has looked since the first playstation release we played.

Each world was almost flat, populated by scores of radio towers, water treatment plants, and junkyards, with a smattering of residential areas. What happened to 3/4 of the buildings? Where did the mountains go? The maps seem to be almost equally divided by massive sections of each biome.

I'd rather they just cooked 17.2 a bit longer than release this mess. It's almost heartbreaking to see what's happened to a game we love.

Try some seeds!

We generated a few worlds today on 17.2, and I gotta say this is the worse the game has looked since the first playstation release we played.

Each world was almost flat, populated by scores of radio towers, water treatment plants, and junkyards, with a smattering of residential areas. What happened to 3/4 of the buildings? Where did the mountains go? The maps seem to be almost equally divided by massive sections of each biome.

I'd rather they just cooked 17.2 a bit longer than release this mess. It's almost heartbreaking to see what's happened to a game we love.

There is a hugh variation by just adding one letter. I used BETHTEST an got a cool one with a nice mix of hill and water that stretched for 2.5 k with town an residential areas.

+ A lot or Radio towers 🤐 but other than the to many towers there was a nice mix on a N/S corridor.

TFP said RWG is getting some love soon!

It's almost heartbreaking to see what's happened to a game we love.

I expect "Think of the children" any minute now :smile-new:

3. The random blood moon thing. Why did The Fun Pimps want to make this random?

They don't. Vanilla without setting any options is still every 7 days, right?

What are you talking about??? 17.2 hasn't been released yet, it's an experimental version still, one you have to opt in on to even see... Not only is it still cooking, you're burning your mouth by tasting it. I have no doubt there will be updates to this branch before 17.2 is released.

Have to agree with this not sure why were on version 17 of this game and RWG is still broken. All the minor bugs are taking a toll too on my server people are giving up.

A little optimism would be nice. The reason for all the bugs is that prior to 17 RWG had its own way of generating which caused much more cpu use and often made adding standard features impossible. We changed it so that it generates a height map, biome map, etc so in game (once generated) it is identical to how we run Navezgane. This allowed us to do the quests (how can you do a quest if the town isn't even there and the game doesn't even know?) Anyhow long story short Robert also did all the new attribute/buff/skill code and didn't have enough time to get RWG bug free. So now the game code is *mostly* stable so he's preparing RWG to be gold quality. This might explain some random bow bugs not being fixed.

The list goes on and on, but we want to use splat maps too, another thing impossible with the old RWG so terrain will look 1000x better in A18 and RWG will be able to have it too now that we have a unified way of rendering worlds.

If the size of the map gets reduced by ~20-25%, that's rather a big deal. It's not like the water starts where the radiation zone started in the past.

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.

So what was wrong with Radiation? The issue people had was not the radiation but that you removed any visual cues and people could just walk right into it.

I've given this thing several Experimentals now and I feel I have a pretty good handle on how this is all shaking out. I TRIED to give this Alpha the benefit of the doubt but there really is nothing going on here to give me faith that any of this will equal anything better than 16 was.

I'm going to talk as a modder now. Because either the answer around here is mod it, or the byline is how modder friendly this Alpha is. That isnt true. It is NOT as modder friendly as you think. You have taken so many things away from us that its becoming a battle and struggle to remain creative while working around these limitations.

I go to Discords, and other avenues of discussion and all I read is people TRYING to overcome your limitations. They arent creating. They are brainstorming. Brainstorming how to overcome the limitations that you put in their way, from RWG to the UI. Sure people are putting out some great Unity mods, and dll mods from the same group of people that know how to do dll modding in the first place.

Im talking about real honest to God benefits to modders. Where are they? Your cvars that break servers and require hacks to fix? Your buffs? Your EXTREMELY limited progression system?

The radiation zone/biome was used by several modders as an area of difficulty. Starvation, Darkness Falls etc ALL used them, myself included. Chalk that up as ANOTHER thing you guys yanked instead of expanding upon. What would you like ius to create now? Boats? So we can go around the edges of the map and explore...nothing? You may as well remove the radiation protection from hazmats if you have not already. Another system you added and then dropped to fit into a tidy box and remove MORE originality from a once great game. Another avenue that modders use to create something interesting gone. Just another day at the office right?

Sorry if I sound bitter. I AM. I cherished and adored this game. I swore allegiance to the Pimps. And in the end all Im feeling like is an afterthought as a customer, a fan, a player and a modder. Maybe that means its time to move on? I dont want to but its getting difficult to remain enthusiastic.

If you truly meant that modding was going to be more open to the public to mean "learn C# or you will be left behind" maybe you should have been more specific. I'm down with that. But when you have to hack into your dlls to do simple things like add back in quality and degradation, or even allow skill points to scale to level, you're sending a VERY different message to your players.

And what of RWG? HOPEFULLY it gets better. It just got WORSE. WAY less hubs on the map, smaller map even though you increased the size. Water EVERYWHERE. It feels like we are in year 2 of EA again. You are supposed to move forward not backward. And this whole thing feels like its going in a negative direction.

Bring on the hate I dont care. There are things I do like about 17, things i had to add back in myself or tweak to truly enjoy them. Its not the ctual water that is triggering. Its this new motto of "yank it out" that's getting all too familiar here.

This should have been a wall of text, then I wouldn't have read it. I still didn't get anything out of it. If your going to complain, at least talk about your beefs, why they are bad and what your solution would be. This game is huge and I don't have a grasp on every single change.

A little optimism would be nice. The reason for all the bugs is that prior to 17 RWG had its own way of generating which caused much more cpu use and often made adding standard features impossible. We changed it so that it generates a height map, biome map, etc so in game (once generated) it is identical to how we run Navezgane. This allowed us to do the quests (how can you do a quest if the town isn't even there and the game doesn't even know?) Anyhow long story short Robert also did all the new attribute/buff/skill code and didn't have enough time to get RWG bug free. So now the game code is *mostly* stable so he's preparing RWG to be gold quality. This might explain some random bow bugs not being fixed.

The list goes on and on, but we want to use splat maps too, another thing impossible with the old RWG so terrain will look 1000x better in A18 and RWG will be able to have it too now that we have a unified way of rendering worlds.

Will future A17 updates likely be tweaks and we should expect another significant Alpha (18) update to implement any remaining big changes (like RWG)?

I don't get why people aren't lining up to take advantage of the DTM map system.

...it's glorious.

I agree! Yes there are still some problems but I like that I do not run into radiation zones. I think some people will complain no matter what the game developers do...............

Archived