Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The planets are indeed procedurally generated, you can generate custom planets if you like. The standard ones are pre-generated because it takes a bloody long time to generate them and most people's attention span is about as long as... oh look! A butterfly!

What was I saying?

I was referring to vanilla planets. Modding SE is beyond me, but I was under the impression that all planets were built by hand.

I was referring to vanilla planets. Modding SE is beyond me, but I was under the impression that all planets were built by hand.

I posted this two pages back but it's so impressive it deserves another look. A custom planet that's far larger than the real Earth. :-)

Crafting that by hand would take an epoch although I wouldn't be surprised if procedurally generating it took the best part of a week.

I might give it a go myself and leave the computer generating it while I'm at work.

Update:

Huh, turns out they're procedurally generated on-the-fly with three lines of code.

I don't get why people aren't lining up to take advantage of the DTM map system.

...it's glorious.

I know. I thought maybe the tutorial would have helped adoption, but well. Maybe some folks are just working on completing maps and not saying/showing anything till they are ready. I'm still messing around with Green Mars, but busy with life too.

It's mind-boggling. Don't they see what that MEANS?

Eh, whatevs.

Not really. I think a lot of folks have missed how much under the hood stuff has made the game more customization friendly than ever. Some of which in ways that were never possible before.

That already happened at around Alpha 7 I believe. Terrain diamonds vs blocks was quite the #gate. It went blocks to diamonds to blocks and finally back to diamonds with maybe one other hedron experimented with in the mix. At any rate, in this case, been there done that.

Blocks > Diamonds > Cubettes (rounded corner cubes) > Diamonds

Put a rad remover into your gun and club. Stops the self-healing of radiated.

Problem is you can't suggest something as a gameplay solution that is so very random. You can't just get a Rad Remover at will. I'm playing a game with 6 people, on day 75 and we found 1 rad remover and 1 schematic for it.

Very rare random items presented as the definitive way around a problem isn't good design imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, I would like to know about TFP's stance on some feedback, stuff that changed in A17 and some of us wanted back. In my case specifically the 1-100 skills that we leveled by action/running.

Was this discussed / considered? Did they confirm it won't change?

thank you.

Pretty solidly confirmed that it's never coming back. That said, never say never as anything is possible and pleading your case to the dev's is fair game imo.

Imagine No Man's Sky + 7 Days to Die + Rimworld + a real hangover cure...

No Man's Sky = Endless streams of sentinels.

7 days 2 die = Lots of zombies.

Rimworld = ????? never played. Does it involve digging?

Real hangover cure = Is this a game?

I know. I thought maybe the tutorial would have helped adoption, but well. Maybe some folks are just working on completing maps and not saying/showing anything till they are ready. I'm still messing around with Green Mars, but busy with life too.

I just did another video today too, and have a working world just no prefabs yet; I need to learn the world editor I suppose, to quickly place them in. Was thinking, with everything being buffs now, one COULD easily to a rad zone you need a bio suit for... Hm...

Problem is you can't suggest something as a gameplay solution that is so very random. You can't just get a Rad Remover at will. I'm playing a game with 6 people, on day 75 and we found 1 rad remover and 1 schematic for it.

Very rare random items presented as the definitive way around a problem isn't good design imo.

Agree and disagree. That the rad remover is such an important item in late game might be a balancing problem not yet solved. There could be one or two lesser alternatives, for example a "rad slowificator" (:smile-new:) or a "damaged rad remover" with a big drawback or some other more convoluted method to slow down healing of the radiated.

But I think my advice is sound: First of all he already might have one laying around and missed the significance of it. Secondly replayability is improved if you can have good or bad runs, doesn't mean the advice to look for that maybe elusive item is wrong. For example raiding book shops or book towers might improve your chances considerably to get the schematic at least.

You have two rad removers. That is enough for blood moon or quests if you play as a group. Only one shot has to hit the radiated for him to stop regenerating, the rest of the damage can come from any weapon or trap.

I'm playing in a group of 4, we have 3 at a time when rad zombies are beginning to be a problem. Combine that with the info from Madmole that a bug made radiated spawn in masses too early and it doesn't look like rad removers are too rare.

We watched a server that had a lot of players and it sent all their map data and combined it. After a month like 20% of the actual map was uncovered. I'm pretty sure we will support 16k maps again soon enough but my point is people think they need all this space, yet 50 players only uncovered 20% of the actual map after a month of play in a16.

Pics or didn't happend. :D I was making server for 5 people (including me) and we alone had 40% fog of war cleared.

I get that people tend to stick same ways of travel. For example who will travel throught cannyon, large lakes...

Agree and disagree. That the rad remover is such an important item in late game might be a balancing problem not yet solved. There could be one or two lesser alternatives, for example a "rad slowificator" (:smile-new:) or a "damaged rad remover" with a big drawback or some other more convoluted method to slow down healing of the radiated.

But I think my advice is sound: First of all he already might have one laying around and missed the significance of it. Secondly replayability is improved if you can have good or bad runs, doesn't mean the advice to look for that maybe elusive item is wrong. For example raiding book shops or book towers might improve your chances considerably to get the schematic at least.

You have two rad removers. That is enough for blood moon or quests if you play as a group. Only one shot has to hit the radiated for him to stop regenerating, the rest of the damage can come from any weapon or trap.

I'm playing in a group of 4, we have 3 at a time when rad zombies are beginning to be a problem. Combine that with the info from Madmole that a bug made radiated spawn in masses too early and it doesn't look like rad removers are too rare.

I see what you are saying and horde night is not the issue. I think it's clearing POI's filled with irradiated. Some are saying it's overrly difficult (and I think I saw a post that it is indeed too difficult and the gamestage is bugged or something)

My comment was about people responding with basically "Just get a rad remover" like you can "just" get one whenever. It wasn't to the dev's who are looking at it as a true problem, but players who feel people are whining and just get a rad remover and win. If a game was designed that way it would be bad design imo.

Thankfully it is not designed that way and it's being delt with as an issue to be fixed.

If they have the horsepower, let'em use it. Let them spend 12 hours generating a 32K map, 24 hours, 64K, whatever.

If you said you have problems with chunks/regions/whatever at a base technical level, more people would be accepting of the limitations.

But as it stands, you just said "I prefer", which just off-sided a whole raft of community members.

Still need to load a massive height map into the game then to get the geography, roads, biomes... so you mean exclude potato pc owners from being able to join your server? Its not that simple, people EXPECT it to work if you make that option and the ram needed to generate a map like that is more than most people have (at least currently). Anyhow this stuff is above my pay grade. I'm not saying no, but we're not focused on size right now, but bugs and performance. Without the latter the prior is useless. How happy will be people be if I said "heres your infinite map with floating pois, moses parted seas, roads that run into cliffs", etc? We're fixing bugs, optimizing map gen time and making it pretty, THEN we can look into size. Priorities.

I just did another video today too, and have a working world just no prefabs yet; I need to learn the world editor I suppose, to quickly place them in. Was thinking, with everything being buffs now, one COULD easily to a rad zone you need a bio suit for... Hm...

Hopefully this might help you?? Got them from HATED awhile ago.

The blocks that turned out to be missing were the plains biome ground and grass...they were removed from game

Sent them to you in discord too.

Regards

Ouch

250ish days now without a beaker or rad remover. But... I can't really complain because we haven't restarted on an update. Can't confirm that's a bug. My point is the replayability.

My crew started messing around on an early play-through and we found a beaker in the first week. RNG I guess. But again, with 600 hours now played I feel like i'm stealing from the funpimps at this point. My god how many hours do we get to have for whatever I paid for this game? Thanks to RNG.

I think many more hours for me to go before i'm done with the game.I see a sea of customizations and configurations ahead. Let us mod this game too!

While i have your attention. I think the stuff behind the levels like the truck and chopper have no need to be there. I know they have made it so you can still put it together if you have the parts, but RNG so never really happens. This can also be applied to the Chainsaw and Auger.

Even though i have access to them at my current level i never use them anyway.

At level 123, heat map is a real problem. I think those too (Chainsaw and Auger) should be outside the level wall. You need to know that some things outside your level have a slight chance of appearing.

Just the idea of that makes it more fun to play-through to max level again and again...

Still need to load a massive height map into the game then to get the geography, roads, biomes... so you mean exclude potato pc owners from being able to join your server? Its not that simple, people EXPECT it to work if you make that option and the ram needed to generate a map like that is more than most people have (at least currently). Anyhow this stuff is above my pay grade. I'm not saying no, but we're not focused on size right now, but bugs and performance. Without the latter the prior is useless. How happy will be people be if I said "heres your infinite map with floating pois, moses parted seas, roads that run into cliffs", etc? We're fixing bugs, optimizing map gen time and making it pretty, THEN we can look into size. Priorities.

Instead what they said with A17 and 18 months of Dev time was, heres your small map with floating pois, almost no water, roads that run into cliffs, a huge step back in RGW, etc.

<snipped for space>

You've just stated the main reasons that procedurally generated terrain is almost always done at runtime.

I implemented this system about 15-20 years ago. It was a terrible idea then. With the advances in computing power and increased network speeds over that time it's now only a very bad idea. At some point in the distant future when man and machine become one it might just raise itself up to be a crap idea. :-)

Archived