Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Thanks for fixing the round down on loot chance. One thing I noticed was that the airdrop was zero items when the loot chance was set to 25%. Perhaps put in an exception for the air drop that it has to have something in it of use, or if no loot in the airdrop then cancel the airdrop. It really applies high vacuum to fight your way 1.2 km through a wasteland filled with feral zombies , zombie dogs and zombie bears to open an empty airdrop supply crate.

Or make it like SCUM

Some airdrop container have food

Some crafing material

Some Armor

Some Weapons

Some Ammo

And some have zombies ^^

Ah, another one who doesn't understand that they have been doing exactly that, for the last 6 years. If they had listened to the mostly change-averse users on this forum we would have a very polished version of Alpha1 now :cocksure:

When everyone complaining about stamina drain, guess what was adjusted in 17.1? After the 2016 review trashed the game saying ugly, dated graphics, guess what the next focus was on? Everyone stating how easy the game is, then this alpha, Z's are falling on top of you from rafters and spawning behind you, finding you no matter where you are. I ran a dedi server for couple years. So yes, I do understand. We all obviously love this game, but after 4 years of playing, still no end game or bosses, or reason to explore. its still feels like half the game is waiting for the next Alpha and reading these forums.

It really applies high vacuum to fight your way 1.2 km through a wasteland filled with feral zombies , zombie dogs and zombie bears to open an empty airdrop supply crate.

Maybe you shouldn't have trashed that donation flyer for the Cargo Pilots Association, hmm?

...still no end game or bosses, or reason to explore...

IMO, this game doesn't necessarily need a traditional "end game" - like we have to solve the big Apocalypse Puzzle and Cure The Zombies or whatever. I think the "end game" here should be like it is in a repetitive puzzle game - the difficulty ramps up until it simply is not possible to survive another horde night. So the "end game" is "survive as long as possible" with the understanding that the game will eventually make it impossible to survive.

That can tie into "bosses" (which are...I guess...extra strong zombies? with special loot perhaps?) and exploration quests to, say, find ultra-rare weapons or traps. But weaving in a whole story where you have to defeat Boss A to find part of the story which leads you to Boss B and...and...and...finally Boss X is the "end" of the game? IMO that doesn't fit 7D2D.

Flesh out the questing, add more NPCs (bandits, etc.) to give flavor, but the goal of the game should always be survival. The vanilla game I mean. We should see tales of brave but futile attempts to survive the 10th horde, and the one player who made it to the 12th horde is seen as a hero.

I hereby respectfully disagree with all of you who will disagree with this, but I proactively understand your very valid points and differing opinion. Except for YOU. You know who you are.

Also, if the game does go into the full story-with-an-end direction, I ain't even going to be mad.

I hereby respectfully disagree with all of you who will disagree with this, but I proactively understand your very valid points and differing opinion. Except for YOU. You know who you are.

How did you know it would be me? You know what, I'm not even mad; and I retroactively have decided to agree with everything you said. ;)

Maybe you shouldn't have trashed that donation flyer for the Cargo Pilots Association, hmm?

IMO, this game doesn't necessarily need a traditional "end game" - like we have to solve the big Apocalypse Puzzle and Cure The Zombies or whatever. I think the "end game" here should be like it is in a repetitive puzzle game - the difficulty ramps up until it simply is not possible to survive another horde night. So the "end game" is "survive as long as possible" with the understanding that the game will eventually make it impossible to survive.

That can tie into "bosses" (which are...I guess...extra strong zombies? with special loot perhaps?) and exploration quests to, say, find ultra-rare weapons or traps. But weaving in a whole story where you have to defeat Boss A to find part of the story which leads you to Boss B and...and...and...finally Boss X is the "end" of the game? IMO that doesn't fit 7D2D.

Flesh out the questing, add more NPCs (bandits, etc.) to give flavor, but the goal of the game should always be survival. The vanilla game I mean. We should see tales of brave but futile attempts to survive the 10th horde, and the one player who made it to the 12th horde is seen as a hero.

Also, if the game does go into the full story-with-an-end direction, I ain't even going to be mad.

By end game , I mean late game survival. Didn't mean find the key open a door and credits role. Although I wouldn't mind possibly exploring to find special parts to build a hot air balloon and escape to 7 days to Die 2? It's just after playing for over 1500 hrs, A larger and larger horde gets boring. Maybe you havn't played this game long enough like most of us in this forum. (Just an assumption, i have no idea). But right now according to you, the game is finished. Just build a base and survive as long as possible. That maybe fine for you, but I like options.

Again, people are missing the point. Starvation isn't on 17 so forget that please. I want spoilage in so it can be IN. I don't care if people mod it out. Go ahead. But coding spoilage is a helluva lot of work and only experienced programmers can do it. By that point f my mod Im making a god damned game to sell.

It's WAY easier to mod that OUT if it exists than it is to introduce it. Also if food spoiled that quickly in Starvation then it sounds to me like it needed to be balanced and was added with little thought to how it would work. There's ways to make it work without being frustrating.

I'm getting SO tired of people saying to go play Ark, or something else.

You know what? You casual types who don't like diggers, block wrecking zeds or want to build concrete fortresses, why don't YOU go play Minecraft or Craft the World and leave 7 Days to people who actually wish to game. See rudeness can go both ways.

Casuals WRECKED challenge in 17.1. NOT the Pimps. So if they wish to introduce some challenge to their game, let them. This outcry of "but meh buildz" has to stop, its ruining a great game.

I find myself in the curious position of both agreeing and disagreeing with Jax here.

I disagree about the "fun factor" in food spoilage, but I absolutely agree with him on TFP putting it into the game, on the reasonable assumption that it'll be easy for me to mod it out (I've no doubt someone would make a mod within hours also), then for him to mod it in.

So, I've changed my previous position on food spoilage. I hope TFP does put it in, so that those that want it, can have it, and then I'll just zero out the spoilage timers on my own games.

I disagree about the "fun factor" in food spoilage, but I absolutely agree with him on TFP putting it into the game, on the reasonable assumption that it'll be easy for me to mod it out (I've no doubt someone would make a mod within hours also), then for him to mod it in.

I really think that the food spoilage mechanic is added value to the game. We DO need ways/mechanics/tools (Drying rack, Curing salts, plastic wraps, fridge, etc.) to deal with it efficiently for it to work and not be another nuisance that you just need to "deal" with.

At the same time, this is the type of mechanic that I would definitely add to Nightmare or even higher difficulties instead of making zombies bullet sponges.

Food spoilage was actually one of the big reasons I quit playing Ark. As much as I’m in the camp that wants and likes more difficulty/more realism, the food spoilage seemed, to me at least, to have stepped over that proverbial line of ‘playing a challenging game’ to ‘no longer a fun game’. Of course, it’s my line and might not be anyone else’s line so a slider or on/off button would be agreeable. I’m not against it but personally don’t want it in ’my’ game.

Food spoilage was actually one of the big reasons I quit playing Ark. As much as I’m in the camp that wants and likes more difficulty/more realism, the food spoilage seemed, to me at least, to have stepped over that proverbial line of ‘playing a challenging game’ to ‘no longer a fun game’. Of course, it’s my line and might not be anyone else’s line so a slider or on/off button would be agreeable. I’m not against it but personally don’t want it in ’my’ game.

How about instead of food spoilage, they just remove the ability to eat raw food. You have to cook & jar your veggies, you have to smoke or dry your meats, etc.

I think this would add some more depth to the game yet not be a crude as just having all your meat you spent time gathering spoil.

At this point I hope they add it just to really watch you meltdown.

Not going to lie, at this point i think he WANTS it in, but he using reverse psychology.

- - - Updated - - -

hmm you forgot a ♥

truth has 5 letters

A bit shocking someone with who likes to build steel castles would agree with this ridiculous ♥♥♥♥.

I honestly can't see how you can have a SURVIVAL game that doesn't have food spoilage.

Let's face it, you don't have to go nuts and make food spoil after a few minutes but you can at least say that after two weeks your meat is starting to look like it needs to be in a curry but once again we have all the angst filled drivel about ruining the game which will mean it gets buried.

One thing I've noticed is the item comparison feature displays differences opposite of how I'm expecting.

There has already been a minor flame war about this, with some people in agreement with you, and others in agreement with the way things work now.

Personally, I agree with you, the display is exactly the opposite of what I'd expect. My hunch is that most other players feel the same (but of course I would hunch that, wouldn't I).

Also if food spoiled that quickly in Starvation then it sounds to me like it needed to be balanced and was added with little thought to how it would work. There's ways to make it work without being frustrating.

IF Im remembering right. It wasnt spoilage in the sense that is being discussed like in ARK.

The spoilage was more a random chance that your food would go bad on opening of the container, in which the % chance went down the better the storage container. There wasnt any timers on it. It was "good enough".

Anyway. I agree. Put all the features in and let us remove or disable the ones we dont want.

Vending machines for starters, who would use a down and out vending machine in an apocalypse. ???? Wouldn't we just smash it open !

There is already a mechanic in A17 such that certain containers spawn as permanently empty. I think it would be cool to add this mechanic to vending machines as well.

There is already a mechanic in A17 such that certain containers spawn as permanently empty. I think it would be cool to add this mechanic to vending machines as well.

Sadly i cant mod it the way i would want it. If so i would

Vending machines at traders stay as they are

Vending machines that are placed at streets (Strip bar, These small red bar, and others ?) 50% chance that its broken, 50% chance that its refilled all 14 days

Vending machines in Pois = 70% Broken and empty, 20% lootable as crate, 10% working and filled but never restocked

Sadly this would need overworked pois and thats not possible with a XML edit only mod that pushes 100% from server to the clients

They could also, like most heated discussions, resolve this by tossing in an "infection chance slider" to the game setup. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Can't complain when the resolution to game balance is a slider away, right? Though, to be fair, that might not be a bad idea. Some people don't like managing infections, others want the "full zombie experience" and want that ever lasting fear to be there. No touchies!

Lol...had a g4k moment there I see....

Archived