Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

One thing I've noticed is the item comparison feature displays differences opposite of how I'm expecting.

Example:

I'm wearing a cowboy hat with:

Cold Resist 4

Heat Resist 13

There is a plant fiber hat in a container with:

Cold Resist 1

Heat Resist 7

When I select the plant fiber hat it shows me this, with the +X numbers in green:

Cold Resist 1(+3)

Heat Resist 7(+6)

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/QjHnEzP.png

I was expecting that the stat comparison would display the stat difference if I equipped the selected item, like this:

Cold Resist 1(-3)

Heat Resist 7(-6)

That discussion has been had with developer response, not that it's not an entertaining argument to start again :p.

I personally think it's backwards as well, the green numbers should reflect a positive change from what you are wearing versus what you are looking at. I think "green means go" and it's better, someone felt otherwise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vending machines for starters, who would use a down and out vending machine in an apocalypse. ???? Wouldn't we just smash it open !

Never get those tbh in this game. So that's a food source we shouldn't have, get rid or use just for ammo etc.

Secondly the meat percentage from animals needs to be radically reduced. That's another simple thing.

Those two changes alone would streamline the food quantity.

Vending machines for starters, who would use a down and out vending machine in an apocalypse. ???? Wouldn't we just smash it open !

Never get those tbh in this game. So that's a food source we shouldn't have, get rid or use just for ammo etc.

Secondly the meat percentage from animals needs to be radically reduced. That's another simple thing.

Those two changes alone would streamline the food quantity.

People just get confuse on balance and stuff, you would in real world smash and use vending machine and no one is going to fill it again, but on other hand you ask for meat to be reduce from animal, now in real life if you kill a boar you can eat it for 2-3 days easily it is that much meat if not more (sorry I have no idea about it), but I am sure it is that much of meat. so why reduce if it is real world related balance.

If it is real world it is going to be easy in game, if it is not then it is not anyways. But it cannot be both.

That discussion has been had with developer response, not that it's not an entertaining argument to start again :p.

I personally think it's backwards as well, the green numbers should reflect a positive change from what you are wearing versus what you are looking at. I think "green means go" and it's better, someone felt otherwise. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I even can give an objective argument why it is backwards: If you find or inspect something, your focus is on that item. (translation for programmers: That item is in your accumulator and you compare it to something in memory). So green and positive values should show things that are better on the new item (in focus).

Anyway. AFAIK other games do it like this, that alone should be enough reason, a GUI standard is a good thing (unlike a gameplay standard)

I would love to just ONE day come in here and read about a new challenge being added, and people get excited for said challenge.

Yet on a daily basis I keep leaving disappointed. Keep rocking 7 Days forumers. Do your thing. Don't let anyone tell you you do not like a challenge. YOU know better and that's all that really matters :)

The problem is this game can take many shapes, for this Fun Pimps added modding. But people want their desire way as the Only way Fun pimp should do it. And rest if you need other way it should be modded.

So, the solution is Fun pimp should keep 2-3 developer to make mode of different taste and instead of main game, they balance those 2-3 official mode, instead of Classes in player, they mod it as Farmer Mod, Hardcore fighter mod. and then people select it from option and start that way.

See I just tell my way of doing it..lol.

People just get confuse on balance and stuff, you would in real world smash and use vending machine and no one is going to fill it again, but on other hand you ask for meat to be reduce from animal, now in real life if you kill a boar you can eat it for 2-3 days easily it is that much meat if not more (sorry I have no idea about it), but I am sure it is that much of meat. so why reduce if it is real world related balance.

If it is real world it is going to be easy in game, if it is not then it is not anyways. But it cannot be both.

This can be balanced another way. Make the animal harder to kill. Not just HP but behaviour as well.

I shouldn't be one-shotting deer on the first day with a stone arrow. If I'm lucky enough to sneak up on it launching an arrow is only going to succeed in sending it running over the horizon.

larger edible creatures such as boars and bears are suicidally aggressive in the game, get above ground level and you've got yourself a meal. There are few creatures in the world that will continue to attack when grievously wounded. Again, enough damage should send them scurrying over the horizon.

Rabbits would be a great early game food if we could find them. In real life rabbits tend to use regular routes through undergrowth. If you know what you're looking for you can find them. A far easier method of rabbit hunting is to wait at one of these runs and let the rabbit come to you. Even something as simple as a rabbit-hole block that spawns them now and again would be an easy way to mimic this.

I would like to see food spoilage.

As of now; food (and water) is barely a problem 99% of the time. Might as well not have food at all..

foodspoilage is very comlex and hard to implement to make it work properly. game needs to know, if you eat older meet first to postpone timer or you ate fresh meat and timer goes on. even you do not know that. add here multyplayer problems. you kill stag and leave game. you log in and 2 weeks game time is gone, your meet is gone. and more problems comes with different biomes and storage options.

i say no to food spoilage. we do not need food management game within game.

foodspoilage is very comlex and hard to implement to make it work properly. game needs to know, if you eat older meet first to postpone timer or you ate fresh meat and timer goes on. even you do not know that. add here multyplayer problems. you kill stag and leave game. you log in and 2 weeks game time is gone, your meet is gone. and more problems comes with different biomes and storage options.

i say no to food spoilage. we do not need food management game within game.

With all due respect, I fully disagree. If we don't need food management in a survival game (stress on the 'survival' part), why do we need food in the first place?

<snipped for space>

Wouldn't this make tinned food more appealing to players who don't play often? The regulars will be likely to trade tinned food for fresh food. This increases the interaction between players and creates a primitive commerce system by making one item worth a different amount to different players.

Sey yes to food spoilage... you know it makes sense :-)

I want to know who stocks up the vending machines outside the tradar? shouldnt they just be empty once bought?

It's a group of altruistic truckers who survived the apocalypse. They know where all the warehouses are and sit on a large stockpile. They are just doing their thing, contributing to the rise of civilization again by putting out some supplies for those who need it.

It's a group of altruistic truckers who survived the apocalypse. They know where all the warehouses are and sit on a large stockpile. They are just doing their thing, contributing to the rise of civilization again by putting out some supplies for those who need it.

I wondered the same thing hah. On our server's community center (which is a refurbished fire house), there are 2 or 3 vending machines for our players to use conveniently. We have a food bin full of hobo stews and fancy drinks that no one knows how to craft yet. It's pretty sweet. Then, in the dead of night, "Vending Claus" sneaks in on a regular basis and loads it up full of super food that never goes bad.

it makes sense, but as i sayd, it is very complex and i do not see, how to make it work in solo and mp at the same time.

then i dry my cornbread in oven and store it in dry dark place in glass jar. it never spoils. i can eat it 10 years later. salted and smoked boar leg can be air dryed and stored in room temperature for months. if i have some knowledge, i can preserve food. so spoilage is still only very early game problem.

The main issue I see with food spoilage is that on popular multiplayer servers, meat is VERY RARE. To the point that it's almost impossible to keep food in your inventories at all. If I finally find and kill a boar or a deer, and then have to log out, but log in to spoiled unused meat, I'm not going to play the _game_ any more.

Single player is different, sure. There's ton of meat available. So how do the Fun Pimps handle this?? Two different sets of config files for solo and multiplayer?? That would suck too.

As it's been said, there are a lot of broken features that should be concentrated on before they add in yet another system to the code.

An untreated infection will still progress and kill you in 7 days.

if i am not mistaken, this was the original intent of the name because we didnt have the blood moon horde showing every 7 days back in those days. :)

i remember we had a hell of a time finding the antibiotics and it took forever and a day to make one.. :)

<snipped for space>

Why doesn't the server owner just up the spawn rate of animals? If you can run a dedicated server you can probably edit an xml file to make that server behave how you want it to.

There are other ways to balance that, having a simple multiplier on animal spawns depending on the amount of players would be pretty easy.

The main issue I see with food spoilage is that on popular multiplayer servers, meat is VERY RARE. To the point that it's almost impossible to keep food in your inventories at all. If I finally find and kill a boar or a deer, and then have to log out, but log in to spoiled unused meat, I'm not going to play the _game_ any more.

Then it's on you to make sure you have a way to safely store your meat after you kill it and before you log off. Salt, smoker, drying rack, refrigerator, freezer, canning...

-A

Salting and Drying meat is not very complicated, neither is canning. If I could salvage working engines and electrical parts for things I could certainly find the stuff to put together a drying or canning station. If they wanted to add these in I could roll with that. I don't want this game to be a farming simulation but as long as methods were available to preserve food I could work with that.

Problem is this would take maybe 10 extra minutes of game time and we'd be in the same situation. Barrels full of jerky and shelves full of canned corn.

Still I'm all for a deeper game experience and it's more immersive so why not.

if i am not mistaken, this was the original intent of the name because we didnt have the blood moon horde showing every 7 days back in those days. :)

i remember we had a hell of a time finding the antibiotics and it took forever and a day to make one.. :)

Spot on! +++++++

I'll definitely be restarting for 17.2, my player files in my save got corrupted after the game crashed (despite the rest of the world remaining fine), so had to re-recreate my character, but obviously that doesn't bring back quest tiers nor days alive, so my gamestage is way lower than it should be, plus with the RWG changes etc.

Yeah, It took seven days to die from it to.

stage one: Drop in regain in stamina. Time: Three days.

Stage two: Stronger drop in stamina. Time: Three days.

Stage three: Final stage, Strongest drop in stamina and health drop and you die. Time: one day.

Archived