Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

On a similar note, IMO snowballs are OP. One trip to the snow is a lifetime supply of water. Should be at least 20 snowballs per bottle, and perhaps only 10 when using a chem station. Even better, require 1 coal for filtration.

+1 to this. it just makes sense.

Figuring out the math of food spoilage or merging stacks is absolutely positively not blocking anything. We can math. ;)

Yeah, I was talking more about the logistics of it all and how it would be represented to the player. What if your backpack was full and you couldn't physically put another item in it (the spoiled food)? What if it was in a full container?

That actually sprung to mind because of the food spoilage mechanic in Starvation. It was an easy way to game the system - keep food in a full container, and since there was no place for the spoiled food stack to go, food wouldn't spoil.

And what about all the wold containers that contain food? How can this possibly not have all decayed? It would be down to cans and maybe some corn meal.

Honestly, that would be perfectly fine with me.

As a long time 7DTD player and at 4000 hrs I feel with this latest build the game is almost perfect. Outside of the bandits is 7 days to die close to being finished?

I know there are tons of things you guys are working on but right now the game feels like a near finished product.

I hope not, because actually entertaining NPCs would have to be a lot more complicated than just bandits.

Bandits are basically just another enemy to fight, maybe with some teamwork and more complicated decision trees. Actual NPCs would involve things like different types of traders (farmers vs. smiths for instance), the possibility of shifting allegiances between themselves and players, the ability to start a colony...

Once the NPC work starts in earnest, it may not be that difficult to mod in more complex stuff, but it's a long way to go yet.

I like the idea that a trader is only a npc on a small improvised tent camp that sells 2-3 items of his personal equipment and if you make quests for him his "Trading POI" and his offering upgrade.

+1 for this - but it would involve swapping out POIs at runtime, which AFAIK isn't even on TFP radar, so I'm not holding my breath.

Any word on A17.2 and what it may contain/fix?

It will contain “fixes”. Guaranteed

;)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope not, because actually entertaining NPCs would have to be a lot more complicated than just bandits.

Bandits are basically just another enemy to fight, maybe with some teamwork and more complicated decision trees. Actual NPCs would involve things like different types of traders (farmers vs. smiths for instance), the possibility of shifting allegiances between themselves and players, the ability to start a colony...

Once the NPC work starts in earnest, it may not be that difficult to mod in more complex stuff, but it's a long way to go yet.

Bandits are easy once zeds work properly.

But lets take the Every 5 minutes coat on off to what we have now...Which is instant cold or hot.

Now lets stretch this out with okay your instant cold or hot Until you reach w/e level you need to unlock the stat then all those points spent in that stat and the perk to be okay....even though you have the same clothes on.

But just encase the game throws a RNG colder or hotter then normal area at you.... well now you need specific mods to be okay in those zones. Even though once again you are still wearing the same thing.

So now end game 17 you can be where ever wearing what ever and your okay. Winter coat and Denim jeans with a Hoodie in the Desert...OR

Shorts and a T-shirt in the snow...

No problems...Cause I spent points and have mods in my pockets that make me impervious to such things.

Look how scots run around in at nearly freezing temperatures, the typical italian would catch pneumonia in the same circumstances. You can adapt to harsh climates. Eskimos roll their newborns in snow to make them more resistant to cold.

Look how beduins in the sahara are dressed, no shorts, no short sleeves, rather voluminous clothes, their clothes have to be fitting for the sun and the rather cold night, the temperature can go over a range of 30 degrees celcius (50 d. Fahrenheit) on a single day. And it reaches down to -10 degress Celcius in winter.

And when we talk about mods: I have a removable microfiber inset for my jacket which turns it into a winter coat. Think of mods like this, with the adding and removing of the insets abstracted away, Voila.

And while I'm talking about these anecdotical facts I have to confess, I don't care at all whether it makes much sense in reality. I would always take a fun nonrealistic mechanism over a boring realistic meachanism.

is there a flight manual for the Gyro?

If you craft one, you better write a manual for i

Also really need to DISABLE the "E" or eject feature

What? No. "E" is the turbo boost. Only works while airborne.

And while I'm talking about these anecdotical facts I have to confess, I don't care at all whether it makes much sense in reality. I would always take a fun nonrealistic mechanism over a boring realistic meachanism.

In game design realism can be the inspiration but not the goal. ;)

What? No. "E" is the turbo boost. Only works while airborne.

This is where the "partytroll" emote would be handy hehe. But yeah, can confirm 100% -- the turbo using "e" is fantastic. Only works in the chopter for whatever reason. Pressing "e" while driving the 4x4 full speed does work as a "drift" button, too. Good for tight-turns.

Resetting a POI to its initial state, is far different than swapping out one POI for another.

Think: a trader going from one tent to the POIs they are now, all in game.

So what you're really saying is you want Xyth and Sphereii's Wandering Traders?

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?108266-Wandering-Traders-SDX-Mod

The systems are all there in one way or another. It wouldnt be as hard as you're making it out to be.

Just noticed something while playing around trying to make an 'elegant' way for resource bits to be visible;

The gravel patch containing Coal, "terrOreGravelPlusCoal", is rarely fully up to the surface. Compared to the others.

No idea how the gravel patches get gen'd, so maybe it's just a fluke in the Nav map burnt forest areas I looked at.

Thought it might be worth mentioning since RWG is getting an overhaul.

This is the guts of the modlet I threw together to force gravel patches to be visible as Pillar 100s & w distinct colors;

(credit/thanks go to whomever (Gazz?) put in the "<!-- ore block visualisation start. Uncomment this section to make underground ores visible." in blocks.xml)

<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='terrOreGravelPlusIron']">
	<property name="Shape" value="New"/>
	<property name="Mesh" value="opaque"/>
	<property name="Model" value="Pole1m"/>
	<property name="Texture" value="540"/>
</append>

<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='terrOreGravelPlusLead']">
	<property name="Texture" value="537"/>
</append>

<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='terrOreGravelPlusCoal']">
	<property name="Texture" value="552"/>
</append>

<append xpath="/blocks/block[@name='terrOreGravelPlusPotassium']">
	<property name="Texture" value="535"/>
</append>

First I want say Im very rational and Ive a hard time playing a game if Im not playing it in a very efficient way.

Currently most efficient way to play the game after the very early stages is mining (surprise A16 is back?)

Another issue is if you use the metal you get to forge stuff and sell them, you get a lot of money plus more exp.

When the best way to play a game doesnt require any skill, thinking, and can be done using a macro it means (at least for me) some very wrong turn has been made in development. Is this an idle game and idk?

Most games seem to be made to an average Joe have fun because well most people in the world are close to the average, right now this game seems to be made to a dummie have fun, which is sad.

Please get rid of 7 days to idle and reward player skills, thinking, risk management...

First I want say Im very rational and Ive a hard time playing a game if Im not playing it in a very efficient way.

Currently most efficient way to play the game after the very early stages is mining (surprise A16 is back?)

Another issue is if you use the metal you get to forge stuff and sell them, you get a lot of money plus more exp.

When the best way to play a game doesnt require any skill, thinking, and can be done using a macro it means (at least for me) some very wrong turn has been made in development. Is this an idle game and idk?

Most games seem to be made to an average Joe have fun because well most people in the world are close to the average, right now this game seems to be made to a dummie have fun, which is sad.

Please get rid of 7 days to idle and reward player skills, thinking, risk management...

"7 Days to efficiency" would suck the fun out of it for me. All different playstyles, all different taste. Dont think the pimps can ever please everyone. Allthough they are trying their butts of to do so anyways.

Cheers

"7 Days to efficiency" would suck the fun out of it for me. All different playstyles, all different taste. Dont think the pimps can ever please everyone. Allthough they are trying their butts of to do so anyways.

Cheers

Why people tend to go always for the wrong part of the post?

Play the efficient way is my way, what's is wrong with the game is that a macro can be most efficient play style. Literally a trained bonobo can do it. Requires zero skills, zero thinking, you just need to hold LMB.

That is the important part, not how I play.

Play the efficient way is my way, what's is wrong with the game is that a macro can be most efficient play style. Literally a trained bonobo can do it. Requires zero skills, zero thinking, you just need to hold LMB.

Then dont use a macro (or that playstyle for that matter)?

You have a choice you know?

Cheers

I'm curious, how would you develop the game to be more to your liking? You can already Screamer farm for all the XP in the world, you can mine for XP, you can abuse the trader for XP, you can reset horde night for XP, you can clear POIs for XP, you can quest for XP, ect.....

The game is geared for many different playstyles, just because you can play with a macro as you described, doesn't mean you have to, or should lol.

Heck, I could literally just sit in a base while a friend screamer farms close to me and get just as much XP, doesn't mean I will do that lmao.

Archived