Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

They started off gneiss, but now they're getting a bit shale.

Lol.

Well, at least we have a more-or-less active forum(-community), as opposed to the console community. I'm guessing the console version will be in limbo for another 6-9 months, and then a message will pop up that any attempts to get the rights back will be dropped until further notice.

Started a new game yesterday with a friend.

We moved into a town when we heard something collapse. It was a pretty big building that in the end collapsed half way, because that part (with 1 or 2 layers of dirt) was floating above the ground.

Seen the floating happening before in my other save, but not that half of a building started collapsed when I got near it.

Was fun in a way, but ofc totally a bug.

Am I the only one who loves this? First time I saw this I was trying to get inside a hotel to get a cooking pot, totally took me by surprise when I heard crumbling noises. Then I just stood there in amazement how immersed I was, the world felt it was decaying and falling to bits.

Hope devs at least consider keeping it a rare random event and not just a bug that needs to be fixed.

^^

In my current testgame, yes. In this game i use all parts of my mod

In my next serious game.... maybe after i have a anyway hordesafe base.

Well, earlyer for a ramp to my garage i guess.

(Intention for the unbreakable block was really the possibility to offer players on a server a griefersafe minibunker/stash )

Heh, I was thinking it must look funny, when the block gets damaged more and more, but then degrades to the same block again :).

Anyway, I'm just sad I cant build a falltrap/moat all around my base anymore. The zombies take very minor damage now...

I dont understand this change, since a moat is not exactly easy/fast to do...

Ah well, #FallTrapGate!

That didn't stop you in the past!

Don't you love me anymore?!?!

Worry not, we are doomed for life, sir.

I work and play and secretly read the forums, but as long as i decide to participate in a dialogue either the work or the game gets me.

I work and play and secretly read the forums, but as long as i decide to participate in a dialogue either the work or the game gets me.

Good, good..

Now back to work with ya!

- - - Updated - - -

Goddiamond! Would y'all stop with the rock puns?

Nah, it's too.. hard?

Why would this happen before bandits? Did it ever come up as a thing from TFP?

You are conflating ideas from what is supposed to be with what you want.

Huh??? I'm pretty sure this is a discussion of something @Sam_Neill thought would be fun. He just happened to mention bandits in his first post and the post you replied to was just him explaining that he knows Bandits aren't in. He just used the term bandits as a storyline reason why working turrets could be in some POIs. So, yes this is a discussion of something he wants and he has explained that pretty well.

Most negative reviews I've read seem to share the same point, which is the fact that the only actual way of leveling up is by killing zombies, and nothing else, which forces the more builder type of players (among other non-offensive types) to change their gameplay style to another they don't enjoy as much.

Yes, you do get some xp by doing other things, but the amount you get is so very little that it literally makes no difference at all.

On top of that, the fact that no matter what you do, everything is capped at very specific levels is indeed a bit disappointing. It feels like no matter what you do, no matter how lucky you are, or no matter what you find, you'll never get certain stuff sooner up until you reach a very specific level and spend all your points on it.

This means that every new game I play, the overall pace at which I progress is basically the same, and it doesn't feel very natural either, since it's all due to the level gating.

I believe that those are the two major things in this update that people disliked the most.

Really I think xp is just disproportionate for harvesting/building. I was messing around a bit with the perks. Get steel tools and all the harvesting perks that relate to swing speed, block damage, resources gathered, lower stam use, etc. and I was leveling faster from harvesting than killing zombies (disregarding BM of course). This is due to harvesting xp being generated from the amount and type of resource gathered. So the more resources you get, the more xp. So faster swing, more resources per swing, higher block damage, etc. means more xp.

Now I say I was getting more from harvesting is because to kill enough zombies meant I had to go to a POI, clear it out, leave, then go to another, repeat. Harvesting is more local once you start and don't have to do much, then include having to kill the occasional wandering horde or single zombie (I do include that in harvesting as long as I don't go out of my way to do it). With never running out of stamina, it's just continuous xp (even if less individually) that by the time I compare it to the same amount of hours over time, harvesting was getting me more, even though it seemed I was getting more from zombies since there were just larger bursts.

Granted, as I said, it is more once you get to steel, so yes, earlier on, when xp matters a bit more, it's not as viable. I just see most of those reviews never seem to get that far to realize "Okay, harvesting/building can give more xp than killing, just late in game. Early game, not so much. TFP says they are working on it to streamline it more. Just give it time you harvesters and builders. Your will come."

Really I think xp is just disproportionate for harvesting/building. I was messing around a bit with the perks. Get steel tools and all the harvesting perks that relate to swing speed, block damage, resources gathered, lower stam use, etc. and I was leveling faster from harvesting than killing zombies (disregarding BM of course). This is due to harvesting xp being generated from the amount and type of resource gathered. So the more resources you get, the more xp. So faster swing, more resources per swing, higher block damage, etc. means more xp.

Now I say I was getting more from harvesting is because to kill enough zombies meant I had to go to a POI, clear it out, leave, then go to another, repeat. Harvesting is more local once you start and don't have to do much, then include having to kill the occasional wandering horde or single zombie (I do include that in harvesting as long as I don't go out of my way to do it). With never running out of stamina, it's just continuous xp (even if less individually) that by the time I compare it to the same amount of hours over time, harvesting was getting me more, even though it seemed I was getting more from zombies since there were just larger bursts.

Granted, as I said, it is more once you get to steel, so yes, earlier on, when xp matters a bit more, it's not as viable. I just see most of those reviews never seem to get that far to realize "Okay, harvesting/building can give more xp than killing, just late in game. Early game, not so much. TFP says they are working on it to streamline it more. Just give it time you harvesters and builders. Your will come."

The fact that the reviews never get that far should say just how bad of a problem it is.

Archived