Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Not sure if this is deliberate or if I've made a mistake, but is compound bow supposed to be just about the only non-craftable item? There seem to be perks for to unlock for crafting just about everything else in the game from every firearm, chainsaws, augers etc. As well as several weapon mods with schematics, but compound bow is just nowhere to be seen?

I know it's probably not a big deal, you can likely find a decent one anyway and keep it repaired with repair kits, but it seems strange when we can craft everything else that this isn't attached to any of the perks, or at least not mentioned in the descriptions of any that I could see. Every other item appears in the craft menu, even if you haven't unlocked it, so it seems like compound bow just doesn't have a recipe?

Thats a bug, I'll fix it.

Mods are now the parts and provide a lot more interesting boosts to weapons. Each mod installed boosts damage. The dye boosting damage is a bug, that one is supposed to work differently. The old system of skill grinding had its merits but didn't fit into the scope of A17.

Could it be possible to spawn items with random mods already attached? This will definitely add a variety.

On the subject of mods, one thing would be awesome is a way to see all available mods that apply to the specific item.

Damnit. I mean.. Wouldn't it have been pretty obvious that the 'hit'-animation plays directly after placing a block? Even just starting up the game would reveal that.

I am unable to reproduce this. I just planted several saplings and blocks and it worked fine for me. No second hit. Maybe TFP will need more information to reproduce this. I've seen several people mention this though. Are you using a controller? Is your mouse going bad?

EDIT - Just planted a bunch of crops no change. Maybe this a FPS issue. My FPS hovers around 60-80. Faatal said that things start breaking around 20 FPS because of how ticks work in the game.

Really -low- RAM use??

Just noticed that 7DaysToDie.exe is only using 3.5 GBs. wth? I know w 16.4 mods it would use 9 GB +.

Running Win7 64bit, the 7dtd Launcher has a button to change to 32-bit. Did all the steps for a clean install of A17e, so -should- be 64-bit...

Log has this; "INF Version: Alpha 17 (b199) Compatibility Version: Alpha 17, Build: Windows 64 Bit". So looks like it's running the 64-bit game.

That ~3.5 GB RAM peak usage makes me wonder if it got complied w/for 32-bit memory?

If so.., well, don't want to jump to any conclusions or get hopes up, but that would certainly hit the performance :) Anyone seeing more than 4 GBs ram usage?

Helpful tips

1. Consider placing two drop boxes in an area with lots of loot. One for stackable items and the other for ones that don't.

2. Mark drop boxes on your map and name them.

3. Mark the traders and other important locations and name them. The map is very big and confusing.

4. Cars explode but only if a zombie attack them. So don't store any stuff in or near them. Run if they attack them.

5. Vultures mainly attack players that are wounded so heal up.

6. Cooking pots and the cooking perk are golden, it can save your life.

7. Kill zombies, it's the fastest way to level up. Must kill, damaged zombies yield no experience.

8. Try to always attack in stealth, it can double your damage.

9. Look around more when harvesting wood and stone, zombies can sneak up on you, even in stealth, without making a sound.

10. Go to the desert, you can find everything you need there, including medicine and glass for jars.

11. Dress for the environment, Temp and weather can kill you if your not prepared.

12. Consider using a shovel as a weapon. It has longer reach. Shovel-spear. Even a stone shovel is better than a stone ax as a weapon.

13. The shovel as a normal and power attack, just like other things.

14. Bows are great weapons so make lots of arrows.

15. Experiment with the perks, find the best combo that works for you.

16. Some perks only show up at working workstations. So keep that in mind as you level up.

17. All basic perks are listed right from the start.

18. Be carful when attacking boars, it can spot you in stealth and is really tough. Took me almost 15 arrows to down one.

19. Hungry? look for birds nest and boil some eggs. Keep in mind that this will consume a jar of clean water.

20. Gathering grass helps with exp.

21. Look behind you when you are clearing a house or building. Zombies will spawn in behind you.

22. Use the environment as a weapon. Mines, spikes and cactus can wound enemy's. Trees and rocks can slow chasers. Hills for speed and breaking the line of sight.

23. Take your time and look around. This will help you spot more.

24. Why run when you can walk, saves energy.

25. Take care not to become overburdened as it will slow you down. Consider tip two.

26. When harvesting meat. Know that a bone shiv is better than an ax and a knife is much better than a bone shive.

27. Consider harvesting at night.

28. When traveling the desert try to follow the river. It can keep you cool.

29. Go jump in the lake, if your being chased.

30. Always have some bandages on you. Cloth can be gathered by cotton plants or by tearing up a couch.

31. When facing too many zombies in an enclosed space. Sprint around them to an exit.

32. Have fun!

33. At night. Either cook away from were you are hiding or not for very long. This will attract zombies. Could also leave to harvest.

34. Learn to fight in the dark.

35. Try to get the tutorial done asap as it will give you five points after placing the campfire. The traders mission is just gravy.

36. Keep an eye open as to were you want to spend the night.

37. Staying in the open at night isn't too bad as long as you are carful.

38. Stealth, the lower the number, the less likely you can bee seen. But it no longer tells you if you have been spotted so keep looking around.

39. Perks make just about everything better but are expensive, spend carefully and see tip 15.

40. Don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down. Remember this is a game, not work. Again, have fun.

41. Starting over can allow you many different perspectives, so why not?

42. Can make snow into water. So snowballs are not completely useless.

Note: This is by no means a complete list. Just something to help you out.

Got my sis trying to connect to my server, I changed the serverdisablednetworkprotocols line as stated in a previous post, but it's still not showing up for her (had to argue with my server to get the config file to stop defaulting also. SOMEHOW it went back to the default and restarted the whole map I began last night)

Re: difficulty

...sincere question.

Do people really want a game where there's little chance of failure?

Do people want a game where there's NO chance of a "crap happens" moment that's out of your control?

Cause those deaths are the best moments for me...

I am absolutely on board with the difficulty of the game right now. I love how vultures accumulate above you and wait for a moment of weakness and absolutely destroy you when you've taken appropriate damage. I love that you now have to plan ahead when clearing a POI. Setting up your own traps and funnels to force the zeds into 1 v 1 situations that are more manageable. I don't think the loot should be nerfed. You should be rewarded with good stuff after clearing out one POI because it is so difficult and should take most of a day to accomplish safely. Food matters. Hydration matters. Recipes matter. Stamina matters. It should be a struggle to establish the skill sets to build better bases. I want every level to matter up to the max. Being a God by day 7 in A16 is boring. Your post about maybe the devs making you live like a nomad running from cleared POI to cleared POI on horde night is intentional in the beginning really changed my perspective on some of the gated perks. I just needed to continue playing more to realize that I'm ok with it. I think the zombie homing beacons need to be adjusted a bit. I should be able to clear a POI, and loot it without being instantly located by random zeds walking by outside and constantly harassed when I'm not making that much noise. If I'm loud on the first floor, move to a tiny room stealthily upstairs and hide in a bathroom I should be able to de aggro them. Maybe this is intentional until I level my stealth skills up more, but nobody's THAT loud walking around inside a house that the noise can be heard from outside. It would be nice to have a better explanation of item quality in the game. I wasted a few points into this thinking I was making my weapons hit harder before realizing the base damage wasn't changing, just the length of time between repairs was changing. This does make some sense, but a little damage increase makes sense too. A higher quality bow may have a higher draw weight and the arrows would hit harder. Maybe have the arrows drop less to make distant head shots easier? Obviously the frame-work is in now to make the necessary balancing easier and this game will only get better from here on out. Thank-you very much TFPs for creating this version.

ACK - Coolness!

I just discovered I can put a light on my army helmet! what other mods work on helmet? I would love to get rid of the speed/agility issues.

also has the headlight reflection been reduced? if you play PVP and your mining helmet was off you could still see the player from far away due to the reflection

I had the blobs on my very first game, tried every setting that made sense, nothing helped. I made a new game and everything was fine. Made another new game, everything was fine. I haven't seen it since but I've only played a few times so far in the new build. Capture.PNG.2fa5d08ba033c5310a04f6a3299dd8f6.PNG

wtf, i have day 7 and i saw two police officers and one radio-active bloated walker, this is not normal, how can i kill these zombies with iron reinforced club ? And delete some sleepers from houses, in one house is at least 20 sleepers, i think the normal family have 5 members.

If you run into those there is some pretty good loot they are protecting. You don't have to kill every zombie, there is no shame in running away, putting a marker on your map as a reminder to come back later when you are more powerful. We are doing some balancing because some of the loot rooms are too difficult. Barbed wire traps can slow them down long enough to take them out if you have the firepower.

I (obviously) had your GS concerns in mind, but look at it this way... what if you are not meant to build a super base in the first few weeks of gameplay. What if you are meant to run from poi to poi, barely making it through... never able to use the same place twice... that makes for a much more exciting game, and then by the time you are ready to build bases then and only then can you stand a chance against them.

I'm digging it.

Absolutely not. I'm not super worried about the difficulty yet but this play nomad and forget building a base stuff is where I draw the line. Building a base is my #1 thing in this game. Screw nomad. I get you probably like that but I'm 100% against it. This game for me is at it's best with cool base building.

I want base building from day 1. Next you will be suggesting some kind of blight to spread through destroying everything we built. Oh wait lol

Absolutely not. I'm not super worried about the difficulty yet but this play nomad and forget building a base stuff is where I draw the line. Building a base is my #1 thing in this game. Screw nomad. I get you probably like that but I'm 100% against it. This game for me is at it's best with cool base building.

I want base building from day 1. Next you will be suggesting some kind of blight to spread through destroying everything we built. Oh wait lol

Don't mean to speak for Gup, but I don't think he was implying (in any way) that you should abandon building super awesome bases and just play nomad forever. Just that it might take longer to get to that point now. Every time a new build comes out, a certain percentage of people insist that their play style is being inhibited, but in my experience those concerns are usually pretty short lived. Time will tell, though.

Archived