Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Ive created 5 maps in random gen and flew around most of all 5 of them. There are some issues.

1) They are tiny!, any update on enabling us to generate a larger one. I DONT CARE how long it takes to generate, as long as it plays ok

2) As others mentioned... Same biome to the north/middles/south every time. How is this better for randomness?

3) I havent seen ANY skycrapers.. Do large cities still exist in random gen or is it bugged?

A16 was a vast improvement in random gen over A15. Now its going backwards :(

Had my first bloodmoon horde and i think the new pathing is a little bit too perfect. One zombie made a little opening in my walls and all other zombies wherever they where went around the whole base to go through this little opnening and avoided all traps on their way.

In general i like the new pathing because it makes them more dangerous but they are brainless zombies after all.

Maybe add some rng to the pathing so that some of them are forced to do stupid decisions in their pathing.

And i really dont like how max stamina is bound tightly to hunger. It goes down fast even with some perks invested. Solution ist to eat all the time or live with low stamina and make regular breaks to wait for stamina regain. Not really a fun gameplay mechanic.

Maybe dont make its linear, more like a exponential function. For example with 80% hunger you are still good to go but when hunger goes down to 50% or lower then your max stamina goes fast down.

Have you tried the food and other perks related to metabolism ?

My dearest madmole, gazz, and Faatal...

As I write this post, I am reminded that we don't always see eye to eye, but on this one point I'd like to show my solidarity in one particular vision...

...and that's difficulty.

The General threads are filled with cries of "it's too hard", and "waa, my hoo hoo hurts, it's not a cakewalk anymore", and yet a large number of these people also REFUSE to lower their difficulty level, citing "new users will die, the game will fail!".

And I'd simply like to help bolster your morale by pointing out that these same folks will be compaining that the game lacks challenges in 5 months, and that what makes this game great in the first place IS it's toughness...

So please, although you can feel free to revert the perk system, and I'm grateful levelled loot is no longer an issue, please don't cave to the loud few and nerf sleeper counts, irradiated zeds at GS 27, the New AI, vulture "death from above", or any other factor that makes zeds deadly.

Thank you.

Ive created 5 maps in random gen and flew around most of all 5 of them. There are some issues.

1) They are tiny!, any update on enabling us to generate a larger one. I DONT CARE how long it takes to generate, as long as it plays ok

2) As others mentioned... Same biome to the north/middles/south every time. How is this better for randomness?

3) I havent seen ANY skycrapers.. Do large cities still exist in random gen or is it bugged?

A16 was a vast improvenent in random gen over A15. Now its going backwards :(

It's a side step that will enable a giant leap forward. I pinky promise.

As I write this post, I am reminded that we don't always see eye to eye, but on this one point I'd like to show my solidarity in one particular vision...

The General threads are filled with cries of "it's too hard", and "waa, my hoo hoo hurts, it's not a cakewalk anymore", and yet a large number of these people also REFUSE to lower their difficulty level, citing "new users will die, the game will fail!".

And I'd simply like to help bolster your morale by pointing out that these same folks will be compaining that the game lacks challenges in 5 months, and that what makes this game great in the first place IS it's toughness...

So please, although you can feel free to revert the perk system, and I'm grateful levelled loot is no longer an issue, please don't cave to the loud few and nerf sleeper counts, irradiated zeds at GS 27, the New AI, vulture "death from above", or any other factor that makes zeds deadly.

Thank you.

Totally agree on the difficulty. Love it. Hell make it harder!

Thank you.

While most of those issues are learning curves, i'd say there is a big issue when your getting the strongest zombies in the game spawning as part of your horde before you have even hit level 15. That combined with weakened base defenses, limited options for walls means there is basically no point in making a real base and your forced to either let them kill you and take the debuff, or create bases to exploit the AI to survive.

I mean if wood spikes could kill more then 1 zombie before being destroyed it might make defense more feasible, but i watched 1 radiated zombie just run thru 10 of em and didn't even take any damage because he just regenerated it instantly. Since we can't make log spikes or upgrade them, and can't make forged iron before level 20 to make stronger ones there is nothing we can do defense wise to stop one.

The perk system, sleepers, AI, vultures, etc are all great, but I definitely feel there is an issue with WHEN tougher zombies spawn.

While most of those issues are learning curves, i'd say there is a big issue when your getting the strongest zombies in the game spawning as part of your horde before you have even hit level 15. That combined with weakened base defenses, limited options for walls means there is basically no point in making a real base and your forced to either let them kill you and take the debuff, or create bases to exploit the AI to survive.

I mean if wood spikes could kill more then 1 zombie before being destroyed it might make defense more feasible, but i watched 1 radiated zombie just run thru 10 of em and didn't even take any damage because he just regenerated it instantly. Since we can't make log spikes or upgrade them, and can't make forged iron before level 20 to make stronger ones there is nothing we can do defense wise to stop one.

The perk system, sleepers, AI, vultures, etc are all great, but I definitely feel there is an issue with WHEN tougher zombies spawn.

I (obviously) had your GS concerns in mind, but look at it this way... what if you are not meant to build a super base in the first few weeks of gameplay. What if you are meant to run from poi to poi, barely making it through... never able to use the same place twice... that makes for a much more exciting game, and then by the time you are ready to build bases then and only then can you stand a chance against them.

I'm digging it.

Every poi that i have try to see has many many zombies inside.. a simple storage has 3-4 zombies.. whaaat? and the problem that i have is before you go inside you can't see any zombie and then suddenly all of these enemies spawn inside.. for example i found a hole in a storage and went down there.. i looted the basement (no zombies at all) and then suddenly i saw 2 zombies in front of my face and 2 sleepers behind me.. i run outside immediately from that hole... Why is that happening? Can you reduce the enemies inside simple poi's (i mean civilian houses, cabins, storages etc.. not military bases or police stations) and fix the spawning issue?

I (obviously) had your GS concerns in mind, but look at it this way... what if you are not meant to build a super base in the first few weeks of gameplay. What if you are meant to run from poi to poi, barely making it through... never able to use the same place twice... that makes for a much more exciting game, and then by the time you are ready to build bases then and only then can you stand a chance against them.

I'm digging it.

Which is reasonable, but it doesn't sound like the intent of the game at least on normal difficulties. Now if the difficulty impacted the GS more so that only occured when you selected difficulties above the basic level then that would be fine, but when your playing on "easier" difficulties then having that its going to turn off the game to all but the most seasoned players.

Every poi that i have try to see has many many zombies inside.. a simple storage has 3-4 zombies.. whaaat? and the problem that i have is before you go inside you can't see any zombie and then suddenly all of these enemies spawn inside.. for example i found a hole in a storage and went down there.. i looted the basement (no zombies at all) and then suddenly i saw 2 zombies in front of my face and 2 sleepers behind me.. i run outside immediately from that hole... Why is that happening? Can you reduce the enemies inside simple poi's (i mean civilian houses, cabins, storages etc.. not military bases or police stations) and fix the spawning issue?

Ok, here is how you deal with magical spawning sleepers. Run around the exterior of the POI, get close to windows and such and count to something like 10. They will spawn, you will see them and then they will begin trying to get to you. The open doors and windows for you to shoot at them.

Exploit? some will call it that, I call it looking very very closly for sleepers hiding in the shadows until they appear and you can see them.

Which is reasonable, but it doesn't sound like the intent of the game at least on normal difficulties. Now if the difficulty impacted the GS more so that only occured when you selected difficulties above the basic level then that would be fine, but when your playing on "easier" difficulties then having that its going to turn off the game to all but the most seasoned players.

i wanna see how a seasoned player deals with 5 dogs spawnned in a poi withouth exploiting ai on day 4, not even an ak47 with a full magazine can save you this is not dark souls difficulty this is playing against aimbotters difficulty the games just ♥♥♥♥s you over and says its difficulty

Thank you.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. But I'm not finding the game fun anymore. It's not too hard. Yes, I got killed a couple times when I started because I didn't expect ninja zombies. I even turned it down to scavenger (I normally play on nomad) and I didn't find it any more fun. Turned it back up to nomad, didn't die, still not fun.

I'm digging it.

Again, glad you're enjoying it, but if that's how the game is meant to be played now, it's not a game I want to play anymore, and that sucks. I've never done a horde night in a POI. I want to build bases. I watched this game on Youtube for several years (at least since the minecraft-style crafting grid was still a thing) thinking how awesome if would be if they just added a couple things, they added them in A16, and I bought the game. Loved it. Almost 500 hours played.

Now...it really does feel like a different game, and it's a game I don't want to play, because it just isn't fun anymore. If I'd only seen people play A16, I'd have blamed myself for not realizing what direction the devs wanted the game to go, but for it to so drastically change in the course of 1 Alpha after being so similar through many previous is kind of shocking.

i wanna see how a seasoned player deals with 5 dogs spawnned in a poi withouth exploiting ai on day 4, not even an ak47 with a full magazine can save you this is not dark souls difficulty this is playing against aimbotters difficulty the games just ♥♥♥♥s you over and says its difficulty

1) set up spikes outside poi

2) shoot dog in face

3) run like hell

4) get behind spikes

5) profit

Did this very thing yesterday :smile-new:

Hmm, I get 700 xp for a weak zombie. It takes me about 3-4 seconds to kill one with my club so I don't see myself getting xp faster any other way.

Seems that way at the moment. But it still means a builder could do a lot of mining, tree cutting and building and still progress. There is no need to grind zombies if you would normally do other things instead. You also don't need a forge immediately. The game has cobblestone for building and everything else, like a fire axe or even a working forge, can be found or bought.

Surely there is a need for more balancing. At the moment the xp for zombies seems to make them not loot but xp pinatas.

Another point: If the game is best solved by grinding fastest way to get xp and disregard other ways, why would you ever stop doing it even after getting the forge? So balancing is needed, not making the forge available immediately, it doesn't fix the problem.

stealth system need to sync faster, the sound detection has too long delay. Ex: You sit down, you're at 1-2 stealth, you jump and it - logically - increases to 30-50, as soon as the sound disappears it should go back to 1-2 stealth but it takes a couple of seconds. It's almost as if other scripts are queued before, why? Pasta is good in food, not code. :cocksure:

I think this is part of the stealth system - make multiple noises back to back and they multiply the effect. Even in reality you can pinpoint continuing noise much better than a single one.

Of the complaints that I have, melee (combat at least) actually feels like it's fine imo. There's no point to using regular attacks, only use power attacks. ...

I don't think it is a good sign if regular attacks have no use anymore.

What are the requirements to unlock all the craftsmanship perks I'm lvl 13 and all mine are still greyed out

Hover over the lock icon to the right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25509[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25510[/ATTACH]

in places on your pics is cold anyway. only lack of snowfall makes it look like hot desert. but in game is hot and cold together. i'm not pushing to any realism, it just feel better for me to have cold and hot climate separated with "green" zone. but i wont complain, if it will changed back to old ways. it is fun eiter way

1) set up spikes outside poi

2) shoot dog in face

3) run like hell

4) get behind spikes

5) profit

Did this very thing yesterday :smile-new:

that is exploiting ai and also are you a magician and can see in the future that 5 zombie dogs spawn in front of you in that aprticullar poi doors were even locked open on purpose you cant close them and run im talking about dogs inside poi dogs outside aggro range are easy to deal with but when they spawn rigth in front of you no way you can live

Archived