Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Yeah I turned it down too. But even at 1280x720 I have 10-18 indoors.. I don't want to go to the 800x600 resolution to get an FPS of 30+...

Wow that is low... I'm at 1440p using half textures and no Vsync. Everything else is on max. Well except draw distance, it's about 3/4.

Edit:

Generally I'm at 60fps, with drops down to 20-30 when lots are going on...

For the love of god.. please don't let the crybabys convince the devs to decrease difficulty.

TURN DOWN THE DIFFICULTY IN SETTINGS!

USE THE LONGEST DAYLIGHT POSSIBLE!

MAKE ZOMBIES ALWAYS WALK!

BE A MAN AND LEARN2PLAY

There are a few extreme cases we're tuning, like boss room of poi difficulty, guns are too weak, tweaking stamina a bit etc but no we're not going to make it easier most people love the new challenge.

It varies from pc to pc. I'm just saying that the biggest win for a lot of people was lowering the resolution. We are working on optimizations and have a pretty nice one coming.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've never had to lower the resolution for a game to run better (I've been lucky that way) so I'd just like to clarify for my own peace of mind...

1. Should 1920x1080 be dropped to 1280x720? I think that sounds right.

2. Should this be done via the desktop before starting the game AND set in the game to match?

Thanks to anyone that can assist.

Be careful what you ask for. The question may shock you. To the core.

And just to be on record with my own thoughts, weird spawning issues aside Im loving every minute of rediscovery in this alpha. Its what I dreamed for. Its WHY I made the mod I did. And I'm proud to say that this alpha has already defeated me several times. Something 16 NEVER could do.

Please do not change a thing. If anything I see areas for increasing difficulty (way too much gun loot, ores in surface boulders) but Im a sadist at times.

Thank you for making me a fan of vanilla again, something i was aching for.

Good to hear you like our work. This is what I wanted 7 days to be all along and thanks to an amazing team we made it happen.

Edit the rwgmixer file. Change the 8k number to its 16k equivalent. So... 8192 to 16384?

We disabled it (at least I think we did) because generation of a 16k map was either stalling out or maybe takes longer than we were willing to wait to see (+1 hour)

1) Nope. And I personally prefer it that it -is- a learning curve. I'm ok w dying, -if- there's a reasonable chance that I learn from it.

2) Nope. Yet learning should reduce those moments significantly.

I posted earlier about my 1st horde night and that I felt it was too hard for default difficulty.

I stand by that. IMO progression is important & just steamrolling folks on horde night doesn't seem like 'good' progression, to me.

I'm totally ok with the (rough) difficulty other than horde night.

I do hope they work-on/tweak a few things so there's a bit more of a ramp up.

Will admit that I'm worried that the only bases that will stand up to MID-game BMs will have to basically be bristling w -every- kind of turret/trap; and we'll be back to the whole, 'how'm I supposed to make all that damn ammo??' meme.

We honestly don't know what it will take to stop the hordes. Obviously a combination of traps, bullets and base design. I plan on playing a lot of hours this build and get a good grasp on the late game feel and balance. A16 was end game at day 30 or less for me, I built that huge castle and was bored after that because any old roof top was safe.

We disabled it (at least I think we did) because generation of a 16k map was either stalling out or maybe takes longer than we were willing to wait to see (+1 hour)

Maybe make the option red and add a "WARNING, Takes really long even on Highend PC´s"

i guess there aree enough masochists among the playerbase XD

The quest system might have a slight problem: Since you have to go to a trader for quest AND reward A17 will push players even more into setting themselves up near a trader.

Sure, it never is a bad idea to have a trader near you, but this is really stacking a lot of incentive on your choice of location (if you are using bases).

This supposes that traders don't run out of quests, I might be wrong there. But if not, maybe a quests 2.0 should make getting the reward independent of the traders.

You don't have to do quests but it seems to be worth it. HOWEVER.... it can be a lethal distraction as I've found myself loving the quests so much I don't work on a base and then its too late come horde day and my base fails. Time management is always a thing in this game.

Popped in again to say: my friend and I died multiple times in our MP game yesterday to zombies, bears, wolves, dogs, gravity, and each other. And we're loving it. Also (something I forgot to mention in previous posts) I'm really enjoying the new textures, the window sills, the gutters, and trellis panels - not something I criticised on being announced, but it's weird how much they improve the feel of moving around the world.

We shouldn't have to lower our resolution to fix something you haven't done or don't want to do. I've tried lowering my resolution and guess what? Not only was everything really blurry, but I gained very little fps. This is not a fix.

Its a viable workaround for some people. We are working on optimizations.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've never had to lower the resolution for a game to run better (I've been lucky that way) so I'd just like to clarify for my own peace of mind...

1. Should 1920x1080 be dropped to 1280x720? I think that sounds right.

2. Should this be done via the desktop before starting the game AND set in the game to match?

Thanks to anyone that can assist.

If you're running 1080p aka 1920 x 1080 then you're at a 16:9 aspect ratio. Meaning there should be a 1600 x 900 16:9 as well.

Generally if you keep to the monitors default aspect ratio then the monitors hardware will be able to easily expand into it's physically larger space.

Meaning you shouldn't need to change your desktop down. Leave it as is and just lower the size for the game in the starting Options -> Video settings.

Hope that helps.

^ That is incredibly good news, looking forward to it!

That certainly may be it. But I'd feel better if someone could confirm that they are using more than ~3.9 GB of ram.

After my post I teleported around about 10 times, all over the map, and still couldn't get ram above ~3.7. Not sure what else to try...?

Map 8kmx8km using 4,6 GB of Ram currently

We honestly don't know what it will take to stop the hordes. Obviously a combination of traps, bullets and base design. I plan on playing a lot of hours this build and get a good grasp on the late game feel and balance. A16 was end game at day 30 or less for me, I built that huge castle and was bored after that because any old roof top was safe.

Will there be a stream then, matey? ;)

Depends. Zombies can walk through spikes and survive. Depends on their move speed, angles they touch them, and if they jumped.

It is impossible to say I know nothing was there if you can't see what is there. I started a new game tonight and have cleared the upper floors of this pig house (don't know this POI name), so those volumes are clear, but I never cleared the whole basement. When I get back down there, it will have spawns somewhere, since I know I left at least one boar.

The barn across the street I cleared, except for 3 ferals in the upper section with the loot. I aggroed them twice, but died both times. Third time I pulled them from ledge where they could not get me and they fell off. Got the loot and then was able to kill with arrows from above, then used melee on the last one. Each time I returned to those ferals, they were in different spots, but the same ones. No other zombies have spawned in the barn since I cleared the lower sections.

I will be using the barn for my 7th day base. Made of wood, so it will probably get trashed, but there is a sturdy looking silo next to it, so maybe will retreat to that as the barn gets weak. Could ring the silo with spikes.

It will take logging of all the types of spawns to determine why different situations happen. I need to expand that, so every spawn case is represented in the logs and in a clear format. Then we should be able to see what is really going on.

Ah, that makes sense. I did leave one opening where a door was with only a spike in front of the entrance.

I'm about to start my first horde night. I've decided to try a new tactic. I've built a platform on the top of a couple big boulders and bridged them together, connected that bridge system to the top of the POI I'm using as my makeshift base. Very litle build time by using the terrain to my advantage (or my demise)... All frames and upgraded in all the right places. This extra time allowed more time to make a sea of spikes under the platforms and along the path about 6-7 deep on all sides. I'm interested to see how it holds up. Definitely helps I found an AK, hunting rifle, SMG, and an RPG with two types of ammo (thank you treasure hunt!). Also bought some NVGs from the trader to see better. Wish me luck!

If you're running 1080p aka 1920 x 1080 then you're at a 16:9 aspect ratio. Meaning there should be a 1600 x 900 16:9 as well.

Generally if you keep to the monitors default aspect ratio then the monitors hardware will be able to easily expand into it's physically larger space.

Meaning you shouldn't need to change your desktop down. Leave it as is and just lower the size for the game in the starting Options -> Video settings.

Hope that helps.

It does help. Thank you kindly.

Fine, but why lock the map for servers to a size that is 137 sq. km smaller than A16's default. There are plenty of servers that consistently have 50 players online. And a 64 sq. km map will not do. Why take away options like that?

When 20 people complain, there are a ton more that are silent. So, did anyone complain the map is too big in A16? How many people said "We want a tiny map"? Pretty much the only good thing about this game is the ability to mod it. Every wonder why there are so many mods for the game?

"We are not building a house for one person, but for millions with a million opinions and in the end we do what seems best." No, there are not a million options. This build takes away tons of options.. And if you think millions of people play this game multiplayer, I have news for you. lol

By limiting the size of the map, you are doing nothing but pissing off a good chunk of your player base. Why? What's the point of that? A decent server computer had NO problem running the large maps of A16. My server computer could even run perfectly with maps that where over 300 sq. km. So.. limiting us to 64 sq. km serves what purpose?

Why put a high population server online with an experimental release, where the features may be currently locked because they're not working quite yet but will be when they fix it?

...the world may never know.

Could it be possible to spawn items with random mods already attached? This will definitely add a variety.

On the subject of mods, one thing would be awesome is a way to see all available mods that apply to the specific item.

Its supposed to be implemented that way but I've yet to find any guns with installed mods yet.

Archived