Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Of all the post of questions/suggestions I put out today this is the one you respond to?

So I know in the future if I ask a question I should include a typo to grab your attention...no wait..too grab you're attention.

I told you Erik "Just Relax.. Roland I think Erik should be -1 for his anti behemoth remarks...Apparently you work for him.lol

So now that human type zombies are going to be able to dig does that mean the environmental threats to underground have been discarded as a possible solution to the underground "exploit"? I personally would much rather see those type of balancing efforts put into the underground that going back to swiss cheese landscape. Is the digging a temp fix til other options can replace it? It appears now even mining for resources (w/o having an underground base) is going to bring the Z's down from the surface. I am worried this is really gonna wreck worlds.

Just discovered and fixed another one a few minutes ago:

Fixed null error in player melee raycast if attack and then enter a vehicle.

See? I would have called that a feature. Oh the fun people would have had trying to fight and then run in the jeep! I think you can keep the other 29 features in the game and push the Release button. :)

Im sure they will add underground hazards and different things to build to help those that want to live underground, things like venting systems, heaters for living in the snow biome, fans that will drain hazardous gasses to the surface, for now if it is just digging zombies i say lets take it, one thing at a time, i want more underground stuff as well and i do not build underground but with digging and smarter zombies im going to have to rethink everything that i do and im excited, maybe a little too excited, heck one day i hope that we can have a hand glider we can use to leave the tops of buildings and coast down to a safe place, or maybe into a trap who knows, but i believe the pimps are on the right track with this game and i will continue to buy their products in the future, so long as they keep this level of work on it.

#seriouslywouldntitbeawesomeiftherewereincreasinglevelsofdangerasyougotclosertobedrock

Being one who almost always works within the confines of a vanilla game I would be fine with below ground being much harder, if it had better loot.

#UsingSomeMinecraftIdeasCanBeGood

So now that human type zombies are going to be able to dig does that mean the environmental threats to underground have been discarded as a possible solution to the underground "exploit"? I personally would much rather see those type of balancing efforts put into the underground that going back to swiss cheese landscape. Is the digging a temp fix til other options can replace it? It appears now even mining for resources (w/o having an underground base) is going to bring the Z's down from the surface. I am worried this is really gonna wreck worlds.

Everything added to the game should be viewed as the devs experimenting and evaluating its permanence. It could very well be that despite the pathing and AI, swiss cheese landscape makes a return and is viewed unfavorably by the developers. Also the inclusion of digging zombies should not be seen as a death knell for other environmental hazards. Such hazards could still make an appearance at some point.

We just get to play with these new zombies for awhile and the devs will make adjustments based upon what they see. Could be that digging goes away or is maybe limited to one special type or maybe this implementation will turn out to be awesome and it will stay.

Nothing is final in Alpha.

That is not simple. Many values in XML.

Standard zombie:

<property name="MaxViewAngle" value="180"/>

<property name="SightRange" value="30"/> <!-- distance in m -->

<property name="SightLightThreshold" value="-2,150"/> <!-- how well lit you have to be for the zombie to see you at min,max range -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMin" value="-40,5"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. sight capability - "I see you" light value at point blank -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMax" value="340,480"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. "I see you" light value at "SightRange" -->

<property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMin" value="-10,0"/> <!-- same for groaning, not waking -->

<property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMax" value="200,300"/>

<property name="SleeperNoiseSenseThreshold" value="2,13"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. hearing capability - "I hear something" noise value -->

<property name="SleeperNoiseWakeThreshold" value="20,20"/>

brass? Just wrench up cars and all the light fixtures/faucets u can find. I never run out on my 30 player servers

All light fixtures have brass??? OMG! All these games using ammo like it was my own blood! Ah well, it made the game very interesting with a brass shortage.

All light fixtures have brass??? OMG! All these games using ammo like it was my own blood! Ah well, it made the game very interesting with a brass shortage.

No, not all light fixtures and faucets. The lights and faucets made of brass are gold-colored. If you've got the room to spare, don't scrap the faucets, doorknobs, candle holders, or trophies. Scrapping them only gives you 75% of the brass they are worth instead of when they are smelted whole in the forge.

I know we haven't played it yet. And I'm praying my concern is misplaced. But I hear kinyaju, spelling?, say we would only get enough points to max 2 1/2 skills. And TFP have said they want us making agonising decisions. I think I'm right to be worried. But again, I hope it's for nothing.

As far as the backpack is concerned. Either way you look at it we will have to spend 3 points, from am already very limited point pool, to get the bag space back to alpha 16 levels. I'm sorry but I don't consider making, marking and managing drop chests all over the world fun. Maybe that's just me.

I didn't know that about the hp bar. So am I to think TFP won't listen to the fans on there own forums? I'm not saying they should do whatever we say but I have to believe they do read this stuff and it is at least considered?

They do say so, and you should be worried a little. But they also said that in SP or in MP you still can do everything, every craftable item is opened for you, just that you don't get efficient in all. So if you make weapon you can still make say make quality 400 weapon ( I know quality is no longer there, but sitll taking example). but maybe not 500 or 600. And since they remove quality of weapon and tools [i guess?] whatever system they place only effect mainly as time to craft item or inventory required to craft. so maybe a high level player can craft a Arrow with 1 wood, but normal player can with 2 woods. So it is not that bad.

If it looks goolden like then it is brass. Goess for ceiling lamps inside houses and lamps outside, and faucets too

That is not simple. Many values in XML.

Standard zombie:

<property name="MaxViewAngle" value="180"/>

<property name="SightRange" value="30"/> <!-- distance in m -->

<property name="SightLightThreshold" value="-2,150"/> <!-- how well lit you have to be for the zombie to see you at min,max range -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMin" value="-40,5"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. sight capability - "I see you" light value at point blank -->

<property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMax" value="340,480"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. "I see you" light value at "SightRange" -->

<property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMin" value="-10,0"/> <!-- same for groaning, not waking -->

<property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMax" value="200,300"/>

<property name="SleeperNoiseSenseThreshold" value="2,13"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. hearing capability - "I hear something" noise value -->

<property name="SleeperNoiseWakeThreshold" value="20,20"/>

Of course it's not simple, but it's there and it's not friggin quantum physics. Plus there are all of those descriptive comments.

I agree that Home should be 100% safe via passive and active defenses. This game has never ever been about slapping blocks together without thought. It has been about designing a defense. The zombies have new tricks for A17 and it will require adaptation and new designs. With all the complaining about how long A17 is taking I’m assuming people are tired of A16. So why do people want A17 to play like A16?

Underground bases are now going to require design strategies instead of simply digging down then over. Overland bases are going to require new strategies. Many of the old ones will no longer work. Isn’t this good news?

Aren’t people looking for a new experience and challenge that will keep them engaged with A17 for more than a few weeks before feeling that it’s pretty much just like A16?

Embrace the need to adapt and you will find a lot to enjoy in the next iteration. Stick with the same old ways of playing and....rage quit I suppose.

All of your contrary opinions are valid, btw.

Funny... It seems people are treating the transition from A16 to A17 as if the former is dying. In fact, I think we've seen all 7 stages of greif take place:

1. Shock: "I can't believe it is taking so long! This can't be happening... What, the zombies are going to do what in A17? That's ridiculous!"

2. Denial: "Nah, I'll still be safe underground." "Nah, I'll just build higher and they won't get me!" "Are you really really sure NPCs won't make it in A17? They said there would be surprises."

3. Anger: "What?!?! the map size in RWG is being reduced, I can't ride 2 deep in the 4X4, I can't max all skills, AND I'm not safe underground? RAGE QUIT!"

4. Bargaining: "What if we added _____ to A17?" "We need ____ in A17 or the game is broken, right guys? Can TFP please make it this way... or add that to the game?"

5. Depression: "My game is being ruined, but I am bored with A16. My problems will never be fixed... the world is ending and you are ruining my life!"

6. Testing: "@TFP, will it be possible to do ______ in A17?" "Can I just get a sneak peek at what it will look like?" "Cough Video Cough"

7. Acceptance: "In TFP we trust!" "TFP knows what they are doing, let's just let them do their jobs" "Hype train!!!!"

Just some fun humor before I hit the rack, but figured I would post my silly observation. Roland, you are doing a great job keeping our demons at bay. Keep it up, sir!

Reading about the AI changes, and how "fear is being brought back" into the game has made me glad for my approach to the blood moons.

I knew about the exploits, cheating the AI and generally avoiding contact with the horde was somewhat easy. Anything between undergrounds bases, floating drawbridges, open hatches, etc, etc... they felt cheap to me and I didn't want to rely on them knowing their days were numbered. I played on a server where many people avoid the horde, and have "ho-hum" nights where not much transpires. That's not for me.

I face off the horde. No tricks, physics glitches, etc. I have tried numerous types of horde bases, I want to experience several styles and be prepared for whatever comes next. My current successful place is donned the "Zombie Blender", where they run over spikes, electric wires, shotgun turrets, fall into my battle arena 10 blocks below the open ground, into a pit of spikes, blade traps and reinforced steel bars where I wait with my guns and a machete. When horde night starts, they are the hunted.

This will be my approach to a17. Learn how zombies move, anticipate them. Plot their death, and run them through my gauntlet, collect my loot. Maybe my blender approach will hold steady, maybe not. But I plan on making a dozen horde bases learning the best ways to do it.

5EFD538633475C94C2A38FAAAF6C214DD6940917

I did make guns much louder when I was reworking sound to noise conversion. Being a gun enthusiast, I know how insanely loud guns are and hate the Hollywood depiction of firearms.

Really? My ears...

As the Guns aren´t loud enough...My neighboors call the Police if i play 7dtd..

I have to lower the sound but its impossible to hear anything else then...

How about a option to lower gun sounds for people?

Reading about the AI changes, and how "fear is being brought back" into the game has made me glad for my approach to the blood moons.

I knew about the exploits, cheating the AI and generally avoiding contact with the horde was somewhat easy. Anything between undergrounds bases, floating drawbridges, open hatches, etc, etc... they felt cheap to me and I didn't want to rely on them knowing their days were numbered. I played on a server where many people avoid the horde, and have "ho-hum" nights where not much transpires. That's not for me.

I face off the horde. No tricks, physics glitches, etc. I have tried numerous types of horde bases, I want to experience several styles and be prepared for whatever comes next. My current successful place is donned the "Zombie Blender", where they run over spikes, electric wires, shotgun turrets, fall into my battle arena 10 blocks below the open ground, into a pit of spikes, blade traps and reinforced steel bars where I wait with my guns and a machete. When horde night starts, they are the hunted.

This will be my approach to a17. Learn how zombies move, anticipate them. Plot their death, and run them through my gauntlet, collect my loot. Maybe my blender approach will hold steady, maybe not. But I plan on making a dozen horde bases learning the best ways to do it.

5EFD538633475C94C2A38FAAAF6C214DD6940917

I noticed you put the spiked upside down. Why ?

Archived