Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Muwahahahaha....good luck with that bro....lol

stilt bases, just need spikes on pillars, blade traps, electric fences, shotgun turrets, exploding bolts. Can also do a pit around but not needed. The more they throw at us, the more we build accordingly. The only major game changer wouldve been the Behemoth or wall crasher thingy from the Starvation mod.

I hate to quote Aaron Rogers because I hate the Packers, but "Just Relax".

What, are you a fan of some other NFC North team? Not the Vikings, surely...

What's with people hitting the trigger words today? Shall I mention in-game nudity and child zombies just for completion?

(Sorry for the lack of quality.)

This is not ok! I nearly stopped watching the movie right there. Do not put child zombies in this game!

I haven’t been to more than 2 or 3. I’m waiting to do a proper playthrough until A17 stable so I mostly experiment or test new additions to the changelog. I don’t want to spoil too much for myself and get a bunch of POIs memorized before I play them realistically.

I have enjoyed all I have played through. Yesterday I tried out Random Gen and found a city in the burnt forest with tons of bombed out buildings closely packed together. It was very eerie standing at the top of one and looking out over the city during the nighttime. I felt utterly alone. I started thinking about connecting all the roof tops with bridges and having a network of rooftops be my base which is something I’ve never done before.

That and ziplines. ;)

I really don't get why people have to fight and complain about underground bases. It might be a problem on pvp servers, I don't know. I don't like pvp and play single player 99% of the time, so why should my play style bother other people. I don't tell them how to play and what to do. I play games to have fun and this game lets me do what I want and how I want and I have been enjoying that for over 3k hrs. If the Pimps decides to make it more difficult for me then I'm up for it. But like I said stop complaining on how others play let them enjoy the game and play the way they like. Everyone is different and enjoy different things.

I also jjust want to say thanks to the pimps for all their hard work and I'm looking forward to try out A17, I know its going to be great.

Strange that these posts about "don't tell me how to play" almost never quote the post that does that transgression (with the notable exception of the few posts quoting Xeen) . They summarily accuse everyone on the other side of the argument so that even if someone protests, the absolutely safe reply is "Maybe not you but I've read so many posts where this is true".

Please, if you want to accuse, name aka quote the accused and argue with him, like I do now. I'm for underground dangers because I want to go into the underground and have fun and action there and I don't care what you do or how you play. And I protest this mass accusation.

It applies to any zombie regardless of how they were spawned. It is part of the normal logic to get to their target. They would have to sense you first, so if you are quiet down in a cave they should not be bothering you. Have a party. Make some noise. You might get zombies visiting from above.

Like a good neighbor, zombies are there! ;)

Digging simply adds another direction that zombies can move in. Upwards, they climb or jump. Sideways, they move or smash. Down, they drop off ledges or dig.

Digging down into dirt is no harder than digging sideways into concrete.

Digging does not effect sensing you. Sensing works in all directions and is distance based. The game does not model sound absorption by blocks (maybe someday we can add that), so hearing you up, down or sideways is the same. Digging does not just apply to ground. If a zombie is stuck in a 2nd story room and you are below him in a 1st story room making loud noises they hear, they can dig down through the floor.

So how is that working out in the game? Does it look weird?

Is it harder for a zombie to dig though concrete than soil? It should.

@Faatal

wait a 40 range detection? is that 40 blocks? 40 pixels, what exactly is this in a quantifiable way? cause 40 blocks is a huge range when in buildings.

Not detection, pathing. As I understood it, they analyze the path to get to you as far as 40 steps or blocks in the grid (if they had an unlimited pathfinding range that would probably break things in some specific scenarios). That only kicks in once they have detected you, which is a different thing.

@faatal Any chance we get an optimization of large buildings collapse code? Last time I've tried collapsing those, it looked awkward. Glitchy and slow. Same goes to large chunks of the ground.

Not my department. As we go into polish stage, I'm sure many things will get further optimizations.

Tried out the new 8k RWG today and it took over an hour running in the editor. I think Kinyajuu said it was 5 or 10 mins in a build. I will hopefully get to help him with some optimizations.

@Faatal

wait a 40 range detection? is that 40 blocks? 40 pixels, what exactly is this in a quantifiable way? cause 40 blocks is a huge range when in buildings.

40 meters which is 40 blocks. The grid is currently 88m, but players are not in the exact center.

Not my department. As we go into polish stage, I'm sure many things will get further optimizations.

Tried out the new 8k RWG today and it took over an hour running in the editor. I think Kinyajuu said it was 5 or 10 mins in a build. I will hopefully get to help him with some optimizations.

So, about that rwg.. once it did load! did it play nicer?

You lost me faatal, was it because of all the things you have added to the game or you mean the load times are having issues. I thought I remember you saying you had a major increase in loading chunks after some optimization, I am not understanding... Thanks

RWG:

It took that long to make the world.

Loading it and playing it works just like Navezgane because it is in the same data format once created. The game actually thinks it is another premade map choice when you start a new game.

It is two steps now. Make random world. Start new game with that world. Don't know what the real UI will be.

Roland I think the issue with underground bases is the lack of trade off for the defensive benefits.

If food and water were to be a more substantial system it would make living exclusively underground for long periods of time much more difficult.

Making crafted food items expire over a period of time would limit a stock piles lifespan, it would also make canned food which is looted a superior food option for preservation purposes. Water on the other hand should be more difficult to manage as well, I almost feel like currently it's an irrelevant system after a short time. Removing water duplication with buckets would help make it harder underground, however I feel like it is entirely too easy to craft large amounts of water (or goldenrod tea) due to the current water collection and jar system. I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to go about changing this, but I feel something closer to Dayz canteen/water bottle system would be far more rewarding for this game.

In essence I think it makes sense to force bunker players to have to play more like scavengers and this type of system would promote that style of play.

Defensive benefits: Nerfing underground in this case would be the same as trying to make it so people can't log off of MP servers for horde night, or a waste of time because people can log off during horde nights...

Also, Mushrooms. And if they haven't changed Wood Logs and windows, then you won't need more than a bunch of clay and 4 wood to produce near endless Glass Bottles. But that doesn't matter once you get a good mushroom farm going and never need bottles for endless food and water.

But truly, I do underground for horde nights plays the rest of the time as explorer/scavenger, and the whole butthurt deafening whining about underground shows a real need for controlling other people that is basically sick. I LOVED caves when I played on consoles and I wish they would come back, along with having sleepers, bears, or wights in them. Those were the absolute best areas to explore when building hanging bridges and the constant fear of falling to your death. If 90% of the game was caving and structural integrity was largely eliminated the game would be a lot more fun, scary, suspenseful, and promote exploring and mining.

, or ride behemoths around

Who would EVER post something against this? We talking piggy back or sitting on the shoulders?

We are carried, nestled to it's bosom.

Well, was hoping the person nestled in bosom would be "the driver" and there could be 2 "passengers", one on each shoulder.

This would make it a multi-passenger behemoth. Huge pockets for storage and you are good to go.

brass shortage

Sorry if this has been asked/addressed. Will there be an increase in ways to get brass?

Even in A16 with the large random gen map we(7-10 nightly, up to 14-16 total at different playing times) would go through most of it. Eventually only being able to loot it in containers or corpses. I would think those resources will be found even faster and run out quicker on the new map.

A17 will have more conflicts with everyone having to fight on horde nights and other situations they may have avoided sometimes. Later on horde nights require so many bullets just to kill one zombie. Yes we will have to be more creative on base designs, but bullets are going to be spent probably at a higher rate then before.

I do like using a crossbow and a shotgun as an alternative ammo to conserve brass, but bullets did more damage and a must on horde nights after say day 100(if not sooner). I did play Valmod towards the end of our server so maybe the gap between damage was not as great in vanilla and I forgot.

Well, was hoping the person nestled in bosom would be "the driver" and there could be 2 "passengers", one on each shoulder.

This would make it a multi-passenger behemoth. Huge pockets for storage and you are good to go.

Dual bosom riding is already in but it’s too jiggly at the moment....

Of all the post of questions/suggestions I put out today this is the one you respond to?

So I know in the future if I ask a question I should include a typo to grab your attention...no wait..too grab you're attention.

It wasn’t the typo. It was the bosom.

Archived