Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Everything has its pros and cons.

If we are going to have a bunch of zombies on top of us digging down and making it obvious we are there all the time then it's pretty pointless and just sucks.

I'm not opposed to if you go deep enough they can't detect you regardless of day or zombie type. I just think you should have to put in some effort to thwart the zombie threat. Dig down 10 meters is easy, they should find you. Go up on a hill and dig down 80m and add ladders or a long slope takes work. In that case I'd rather there be other threats like you have trouble breathing or once in a while a tunneling zombie/mole finds you.

Finding your entrance is an option, but pathing will only do about 40m, so it would be more like them hanging around the entrance cause they smelled something, but you can make multiple entrances, which is fine, since you don't know which one is safe until you check it out.

um...vanilla skyrim eventually removed the hard cap because so many people hated it. so...

....hopefully these developers will stick to their guns and remain true to their vision regardless of backlash?

(I don't mind wasting a few words to finish your sentences, pal... :) )

... and getting rifles is purely RNG luck. Shotguns are in between since a real shotgun is RNG luck and a Blunderbuss can be crafted.

Even if we ignore Rolands A17 comment for the moment and speak just about A16: What phenomenal bad luck must you have had to not find a shotgun or hunting rifle days and days before you ever had the **need** to invest points into the respective perk. Come on, winning the grand lottery is easier than not getting a shotgun by day 20 if you play normally.

Finding your entrance is an option, but pathing will only do about 40m, so it would be more like them hanging around the entrance cause they smelled something, but you can make multiple entrances, which is fine, since you don't know which one is safe until you check it out.

That's just about perfect. But how far away do zombies spawn/ how long do they stay in memory(hang around)/ when does smell fade/ how do you prevent the existing clipping bugs as a way to check it out without risk.

A question for those wiser then I (hopefully a Fun Pimps dev)

I generally have a small fort above ground and a bunker underground as my main defense options.

Horder night - Fight on walls of fort and if they get through - escape to bunker and try to either hold out till morning

(if i built everything right then at worse its almost morning)

I was thinking of building an escape tunnel within the bunker perhaps near a bike in case i need to flee to another location on a really bad horde night

My question, with A17 and the ability for zombies to dig down and better AI & pathing when attacking structures, would a zombie try to get to me through my escape tunnel if it considered that the weakest spot or would it still go straight for the walls if that's where i was standing?

I could quote Luke again here... Guns are craftable in A17. You will never be at the mercy of having to find a particular gun in a loot container. Craft the one you are specializing in.

Risk of choosing the wrong perk: Averted.

I guess I hadn't remembered that they are craftable, but as somebody else mentioned that is still gated behind a crafting skill.

um...vanilla skyrim eventually removed the hard cap because so many people hated it. so...

That's basically the point. What would ever make the Devs think people aren't going to hate it and demand it be changed? They are creating more work by limiting us in the first place.

Absolutely incorrect. The main thing that would ruin the game is the devs making it impossible to survive or impossible to build a base that can keep them out. The second thing is PvP. The ability to hurt another player or damage their structures should be removed from the game entirely.

what you are against pvp ? well there are option to play pve without worrying to get kill by others.

....hopefully these developers will stick to their guns and remain true to their vision regardless of backlash?

(I don't mind wasting a few words to finish your sentences, pal... :) )

i only laughed at that because i have no skin in this fight. i'm resigned to being fine with whatever...as long as i can change a few values in the xmls to play it my way.

#seriouslywouldntitbeawesomeiftherewereincreasinglevelsofdangerasyougotclosertobedrock

i only laughed at that because i have no skin in this fight. i'm resigned to being fine with whatever...as long as i can change a few values in the xmls to play it my way.

#seriouslywouldntitbeawesomeiftherewereincreasinglevelsofdangerasyougotclosertobedrock

Good to know you're laughing again these days! :)

Yes, it would be really awesome to have underground threats that pertain and exist in the underground without having to migrate there from the surface. Of course it would be great if they could re-implement complex cave systems you can get lost in or fall into and as for making it a challenge to reach bedrock (No TFP, not pickaxe sponge rocks) I'm all for it. Make it a battle instead of only a grind.

How 2nd Decade 21st Century Metro of them...

Yes the behemoth is totally awesome. They can cook amazingly and just between you and me they look freaking awesome.

I mean you just got to try their human leg and arm stew. Totally delic.

Disagree with the second half of your statement. Currently it is an exploit. Maybe not digging down to bedrock since that does require a lot of work to do and the depth makes more sense that you would have safety from zombies. But being able to dig down two with a hatch above you and be safe is definitely a problem.

However, the underground is a biome like any other. To say playing in the underground should not be encouraged is like saying playing in the Forest should not be encouraged. They just need to make the biome more interesting and remove the force field around it and then do lots of encouraging to go and play there.

Roland I think the issue with underground bases is the lack of trade off for the defensive benefits.

If food and water were to be a more substantial system it would make living exclusively underground for long periods of time much more difficult.

Making crafted food items expire over a period of time would limit a stock piles lifespan, it would also make canned food which is looted a superior food option for preservation purposes. Water on the other hand should be more difficult to manage as well, I almost feel like currently it's an irrelevant system after a short time. Removing water duplication with buckets would help make it harder underground, however I feel like it is entirely too easy to craft large amounts of water (or goldenrod tea) due to the current water collection and jar system. I'm not entirely sure what would be the best way to go about changing this, but I feel something closer to Dayz canteen/water bottle system would be far more rewarding for this game.

In essence I think it makes sense to force bunker players to have to play more like scavengers and this type of system would promote that style of play.

Good to know you're laughing again these days! :)

Yes, it would be really awesome to have underground threats that pertain and exist in the underground without having to migrate there from the surface. Of course it would be great if they could re-implement complex cave systems you can get lost in or fall into and as for making it a challenge to reach bedrock (No TFP, not pickaxe sponge rocks) I'm all for it. Make it a battle instead of only a grind.

i miss those caves. they looked awesome and they were always fun to explore, even if they were empty. i spent a lot of time woodframing my way through them to check out all the passages.

Food spoilage has been on the radar in the past. Not so sure any more. Could be the Behemoth is munching on their spoiled food right now and barfing all the way down the zipline into the plains biome.

I haven't heard anyone on the team talk about food spoilage for a long time. But I wish it was a thing. The survival aspect of the game needs it badly whether you're living overland or underland.

Oh man, this is going to spark another argument isn't it....

What's with people hitting the trigger words today? Shall I mention in-game nudity and child zombies just for completion?

I'm fine with just about anything. But no clowns. Don't go there. The clown lobby is powerful and will ruin your life. Have you seen our president? Orange hair. Think about it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Roland, when it comes to food spoilage i say bring it on, it would also tie in with more electricity like running to a fridge to slow down the timer, maybe even making a stove run on electricity for higher crafting options, i could see it happening, even adding a spoil time to your farms that you plant could make survival harder, i look forward to the challenge if it comes around, which of those do you like for the foodie debate? lol

I really don't get why people have to fight and complain about underground bases. It might be a problem on pvp servers, I don't know. I don't like pvp and play single player 99% of the time, so why should my play style bother other people. I don't tell them how to play and what to do. I play games to have fun and this game lets me do what I want and how I want and I have been enjoying that for over 3k hrs. If the Pimps decides to make it more difficult for me then I'm up for it. But like I said stop complaining on how others play let them enjoy the game and play the way they like. Everyone is different and enjoy different things.

I also jjust want to say thanks to the pimps for all their hard work and I'm looking forward to try out A17, I know its going to be great.

This is important: its or his or her?

since a behemoths gender was never specified, it is a unclarified object, all objects are an it. therefore it's is the proper possessive pronoun.

Food spoilage has been on the radar in the past. Not so sure any more. Could be the Behemoth is munching on their spoiled food right now and barfing all the way down the zipline into the plains biome.

I haven't heard anyone on the team talk about food spoilage for a long time. But I wish it was a thing. The survival aspect of the game needs it badly whether you're living overland or underland.

Oh man, this is going to spark another argument isn't it....

yeah yeah, like you don't do that on purpose and then sit giggling in the corner while watching the mayhem unfold just so you can whip out your mod stick and start slapping people with it.

Archived