Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I for one am extremely happy to know that zombies can dig down. I always found it absurd that if you're right below them, even by one block, they get confused and just growl and move around in circles above you, not being able to do anything. It's a pretty basic AI pathing problem; it's ridiculous to not fix it with the reasoning that underground bases will have a harder time. Well, yeah, like every other base. Defend your home.

or air depletion, or gas pockets or grabboids !!! :)

Don't know about the grabboids but if the new buff system is as robust that it sounds like from reading about it, I will personally be making air depletion and gas pockets a thing if TFP don't end up doing it.. along with an air scrubbing unit depending on how hard it is.

It's not a feature at all. The intention is to stay logged in to the game and try to avoid or fight zombies via the preparations you made ahead of time. TFP is not designing a game to be logged out of but TFP also can't control what players may choose to do.

Also forcing players to start over if they want to try other perks isn't the greatest 'feaure' ;)

Don't know about the grabboids but if the new buff system is as robust that it sounds like from reading about it, I will personally be making air depletion and gas pockets a thing if TFP don't end up doing it.. along with an air scrubbing unit depending on how hard it is.

keep us up to date on that. :) yep tossing things around but really... grabboids doesnt quite fit into a zombie apocalypse.

Absolutely YES to this please.

It's not a feature at all. The intention is to stay logged in to the game and try to avoid or fight zombies via the preparations you made ahead of time. TFP is not designing a game to be logged out of but TFP also can't control what players may choose to do.

That's pretty much my point. The idea that the game should have no "safe" way to play by eliminating solid strategies is something that I will never agree with. It's funny that based on all the people who disagree and are "happy" to see this change never seem to be on any sever I've played on. I've got well over 3k hours into the game and every sever I've ever played on has been home to (many) players who prefer having a realistic approach to safety versus having a constant pain of unrealistic nuisances.

Again, I still don't get the argument that "underground bases are boring". If your play-style is "I need constant attention at the expense of a bit of realism", then by all means, don't make your base underground. But those of us that enjoy a play-style where we can spend some time underground without zombies somehow detecting us from 100ft away, it's not seen as a boon that we're theoretically never safe.

In a nutshell, my point is that eliminating (realistic) strategies and effectively removing strengths of one style of play is sad. I know that TFP are usually very good at balancing things that get implemented so I'm hopeful that this won't be what some think it will be. I think there is a sizeable player base that enjoys the ability to be more secluded. Snoops said that the game is largely tower defense, and while this might be true, there are lot of players who play it as more than tower defense. A true tower defense model is limited so keeping it narrow that way isn't seemingly too smart.

Top tags as posted to Steam IRT 7DTD:

Early Access Survival Zombies Open World Crafting Multiplayer Sandbox Building Co-op Action Adventure Survival Horror Horror Online Co-Op FPS Early Access RPG Indie Singleplayer Gore

Just sayin'.

I never understood why people hate the idea that you're moderately safe living underground. Some people who get little play time because of real world obligations (ahem) like being able to get to work mining or whatever, underground, and be moderately safe. Being constantly bugged by a random zombie who, somehow, detected you 10ft underground and is now digging downwards towards you is annoying in my opinion. If you don't like being safe underground, don't live underground. I'm sure there will be fine tuning, but ruining the safety of being underground just for the sake of it is a faux pas in my opinion.

Short of setting off C4, there's very little noise or smell or whatever that would escape even 5ft of dirt. Just sayin'.

So i understand what you're sayin... and i HAVE had zombies detect me underground but thats because it was close to the surface. I sincerely doubt you'll get sensed if you're near bedrock or something. Wont know til we play it.

I think its more about the blood moons. I love it, im always a cave guy and will still be one. I will have a base underground, that wont change, but what will... will be my horde base. I'm excited, might start up a new mod and try out some ideas

Also, Raven, I understand your point of view but again, I dont think some random zombie will sniff you out if you're pretty deep underground. several blocks, sure.. but 10-15+? Ive never been sensed (outside of blood moons)

Furthermore, TFP markets 7DTD as a blend of games containing tower defense, Snoops.

"7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games."

- - - Updated - - -

So i understand what you're sayin... and i HAVE had zombies detect me underground but thats because it was close to the surface. I sincerely doubt you'll get sensed if you're near bedrock or something. Wont know til we play it.

I think its more about the blood moons. I love it, im always a cave guy and will still be one. I will have a base underground, that wont change, but what will... will be my horde base. I'm excited, might start up a new mod and try out some ideas

Yes, Faatal was nice enough to clarify that it's still based upon distance, so as long as you have enough distance from zombies on the surface, you will be OK. The only difference is that if you are detected, they can now, more effectively, dig downwards :)

keep us up to date on that. :) yep tossing things around but really... grabboids doesnt quite fit into a zombie apocalypse.

Grabboids would work as a specialized desert beastie (as dogs are to the wasteland). They are allegedly a type of mutated sandworm.... and would certainly counter the ease of digging through that ever so soft sandstone.

Also forcing players to start over if they want to try other perks isn't the greatest 'feaure' ;)

Adds even more replayability. If something didn't quite work I can start over and try again through trial & error or think over what would be the most efficient for whatever playstyle I am going for.

Actually IIRC, after 30 blocks they can't detect you at all unless its the Bloodmoon

And unless they can attack upwards in 17 then just build your base above ground and become untouchable.

I believe I read that they can attack upwards now... But if they're out of reach then it still doesn't matter. Might as well add geothermal vents into the game that power floating bases ;)

Grabboids would work as a specialized desert beastie (as dogs are to the wasteland). They are allegedly a type of mutated sandworm.... and would certainly counter the ease of digging through that ever so soft sandstone.

Kevin Bacon was in that one, wasn't he?

Players should be allowed to be 100% safe if they wish. Their choice.

I think that bases should be secure, but remaining alive difficult. Gives us a lot of reasons to venture out, and make the outside way more dangerous than it currently is.

Let home be safe, outside scary AF and unsafe.

Muwahahahaha....good luck with that bro....lol

By which he means refer to Faatal's many posts regarding zombies now having an attack mode where if they can't get to a player they'll start whacking nearby blocks in the hopes gravity brings the player to them.

I'm still going to try elevated bases, because melee and dogs and I are a terrible combination, but now I'll have many many supports and enough room to move around constantly so the damage hopefully gets spread around. I'll also be reinvesting in spikes, something I got away from for the most part in a15 and a16...let 'em whack spikes all night trying to get to me!

Players should be allowed to be 100% safe if they wish. Their choice.

I think that bases should be secure, but remaining alive difficult. Gives us a lot of reasons to venture out, and make the outside way more dangerous than it currently is.

Let home be safe, outside scary AF and unsafe.

There will probably always be ways to be 100% safe, but they're trying to make it take some effort. Digging straight to bedrock will probably still mean 100% safety since blood moon hordes aren't likely to dig down 50+ blocks of stone, but the simple roof-of-a-POI tactic is about to be very ill-advised.

Archived