1.0 (A22) Dev Diary Overflow

Just now, Callum123456789 said:

with seeing the new animations for the mountain lion, hopefully theres also some new animation for zombies crawling in the works the current one is quite janky and glitchy (zombies falling into the floor crawling and getting stuck or they do these ninja ducks within a blink of the eye and get a free hit off on you)

Maybe a leaper crawler!

I just realised, wandering sleepers haven't been mentioned in the list of things coming to A22. Does it mean they will be pushed back again to A23 or beyond? Maybe cancelled entirely?
I got super excited when they were announced back when A20 was in development!

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

I hate those things.  😁

lol

my most memorable irl massacre was when i snuck up from below on a dam on my father in laws farm and came across a super huge flock of canadian geese. i only had 2 up the spout on the side by side which dropped 4. they were coming so thick and fast past me i broke the shotty dropping the trigger section and the bit under the barrel to the ground and used the barrel section to whack another 5 out of the air! glorious 🙂

i promise you i am a healthy and balanced individual

actually 2nd most memorable. number 1 had the end of the shotty barrels visibly glowing in the dark after running out of shells, but thats a story for another time

15 hours ago, bdubyah said:

Edit: And speaking of animations, has there ever been any thought given to adding in more zombie animations, and even possibly randomizing them? We already randomize them with mods, but having more than 3-4 basic types would be nice.

yep sometimes it looks like the cast of Thriller are after you , all in sync step....

15 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I just realised, wandering sleepers haven't been mentioned in the list of things coming to A22. Does it mean they will be pushed back again to A23 or beyond? Maybe cancelled entirely?
I got super excited when they were announced back when A20 was in development!

I'd bet that will come with bandits as it's something they will likely use in bandit POIs. Could still come before, obviously, but I'd hope it wouldn't be canceled for zombies when it'll likely be in the game for bandits. Or that's how I'd expect them to work in POIs unless they plan to have some new system for bandits. 

Off the top of my head, these are the changes/fixes I'd like to see in A22:

1:     Zombies getting an animation for when they start/stop crawling. No more ZERO frames to crawl. (currently: one frame they're standing and the next frame they're crawling)
2:     When a zombie's pain resistance reaches 100% or higher, they should get an attack animation that can't be interrupted. Right now, they hit the player whilst in a pain animation, like holding their face/hip.
3:     Zombies no longer getting extra reach when crawling.
4:     Zombies being no longer being able to hit players through walls/doors and other thin blocks.
5:     Zombies no longer being able to hit a player that is running away from 2.5 metres away (I've been hit while running down stairs and zombie still up top)
6:     Projectiles (arrows, rockets, cop puke, etc) no longer going through entities/blocks occasionally. (You didn't miss, the game cheated on you! I've had rockets go through the ground during horde night for example)
7:     Molotovs no longer exploding in your face when there's too many entities spawned in.
8:     Dehydration/Stamina regen bug fix, introduced in A17, it's WELL OVERDUE to fix this bug!!!!!!
9:     Improved hitboxes on hitting entities through doors. Very frustrating when my ENTIRE crosshair is in the hole, and my melee weapon (knife/spear) hits the door.
10:     Remove character's ability to hop, when I press the space bar, I want to JUMP, not hop. Why is hopping a thing? And why does it cost 20 stamina to hop?
11:    Remove the loud jarring ear piercing night time stinger ambiences. ALL. OF. THEM! (Turning down/off ambience volume is NOT a solution)
12:    Remove entities from being able to clip partially through blocks.
13:    Add a NightTimeStart setting. Would be nice to have night time start at a chosen time instead of forced at 10pm.
14:    Game Day Length to match the real world length: What I mean by that is, currently, if you play "60 minute day cycle", you're actually playing 68 minute day cycle.
15:    Give ALL animals footstep audio. 
16:    Maintain momentum during a jump when running out of stamina mid-air.

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I hope we get some more, we had the same stuff from alpha 15 so we could uses a change

Personally, I'm not a fan of having someone yelling in my ear because it's night time.
I'm happy if we get more, and sad that some have been removed over the years, but there's a lot night stingers that are so loud it ruins the experience and immersion, for me at least. They don't make the game scary, it makes me annoyed.
TFP removed the scary ones many alphas ago

0:17 - Too loud, immersion breaking. Please remove it.
0:33 - Too loud, immersion breaking. Please remove it.
0:51 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:03 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:16 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:29 - loud, could be lowered 50%
1:49 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:01 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:20 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:30 - loud, could be lowered 50%
2:45 - loud, could be lowered 50%
3:00 - loud, could be lowered 50%
3:11 - I think it repeats from here

8 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Off the top of my head, these are the changes/fixes I'd like to see in A22:

1:     Zombies getting an animation for when they start/stop crawling. No more ZERO frames to crawl. (currently: one frame they're standing and the next frame they're crawling)
2:     When a zombie's pain resistance reaches 100% or higher, they should get an attack animation that can't be interrupted. Right now, they hit the player whilst in a pain animation, like holding their face/hip.
3:     Zombies no longer getting extra reach when crawling.
4:     Zombies being no longer being able to hit players through walls/doors and other thin blocks.
5:     Zombies no longer being able to hit a player that is running away from 2.5 metres away (I've been hit while running down stairs and zombie still up top)
6:     Projectiles (arrows, rockets, cop puke, etc) no longer going through entities/blocks occasionally. (You didn't miss, the game cheated on you! I've had rockets go through the ground during horde night for example)
7:     Molotovs no longer exploding in your face when there's too many entities spawned in.
8:     Dehydration/Stamina regen bug fix, introduced in A17, it's WELL OVERDUE to fix this bug!!!!!!
9:     Improved hitboxes on hitting entities through doors. Very frustrating when my ENTIRE crosshair is in the hole, and my melee weapon (knife/spear) hits the door.
10:     Remove character's ability to hop, when I press the space bar, I want to JUMP, not hop. Why is hopping a thing? And why does it cost 20 stamina to hop?
11:    Remove the loud jarring ear piercing night time stinger ambiences. ALL. OF. THEM! (Turning down/off ambience volume is NOT a solution)
12:    Remove entities from being able to clip partially through blocks.
13:    Add a NightTimeStart setting. Would be nice to have night time start at a chosen time instead of forced at 10pm.
14:    Game Day Length to match the real world length: What I mean by that is, currently, if you play "60 minute day cycle", you're actually playing 68 minute day cycle.

All very reasonable fix requests I have to say. Have come across most of these while playing myself

8 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I keep hoping that someone will update one of the mods that did this but nothing so far. In A20 it was easy enough I could figure out how to do it. In A21 I guess it's not so simple.

12 minutes ago, seven said:

I keep hoping that someone will update one of the mods that did this but nothing so far. In A20 it was easy enough I could figure out how to do it. In A21 I guess it's not so simple.

@w00kien00kie is a legend and made me a mod to do this for A21. As far as I know, it's not public, so I won't share it without permission.

On 2/23/2024 at 4:33 PM, Crater Creator said:

All of the items separately have a combined value of $10, but if you buy them all together it only costs $9. To phrase it a different way, the restaurant gives you 10% off as a ‘set bonus’ if you have all the parts.

OK....Three nuns are staying at a hotel.

They check in and the clerk charges them $30.00

Later the clerk remembers they were having a sale/discount, and the room should have only cost $25.00

He brings 5 one-dollar bills to their room, but realizes he can't evenly divide the $5 amongst the 3 nuns, so he keeps $2 for himself.

So....The nuns have paid at total of $27, and the clerk kept $2....$29 total.

What happened to the missing dollar!!??

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

11 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

@w00kien00kie is a legend and made me a mod to do this for A21. As far as I know, it's not public, so I won't share it without permission.

I'm sure many would appreciate it if you asked for permission, or at least some guidance on how to do this. I rolled my own for A20 since I didn't quite agree with all the choices made in the existing mods.

2 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of having someone yelling in my ear because it's night time.
I'm happy if we get more, and sad that some have been removed over the years, but there's a lot night stingers that are so loud it ruins the experience and immersion, for me at least. They don't make the game scary, it makes me annoyed.

I want more natural sounds and the other stingers being more rare. Like wolfs howling, sticks breaking, wind blowing, coyotes howling/barking. 

Etc And old scary sounds

8 hours ago, Morloc said:

Later the clerk remembers they were having a sale/discount, and the room should have only cost $25.00

He brings 5 one-dollar bills to their room, but realizes he can't evenly divide the $5 amongst the 3 nuns, so he keeps $2 for himself.

Bad math: $2 to clerk + $3 to nuns + $25 to hotel = $30. There is no missing dollar. 

I know there’s no set bonus if I don’t wear the flip flops, but what if I only wear the flip flops?

9 hours ago, FranticDan said:

For me, the only sound that I find annoying is the wasteland wind.  Everything else is fine to me.  I don't even notice most of these sounds very often in the game.  Still, I see nothing wrong with adjusting them, though I think the better option is an ambient noise volume slider in options (perhaps a couple, depending if it makes sense to break them up into a couple groups) rather than lowering them.  Depending on how you have your volume set, if you lower some of these by 50%, some people won't even hear them, which defeats the purpose.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

For me, the only sound that I find annoying is the wasteland wind.  Everything else is fine to me.  I don't even notice most of these sounds very often in the game.  Still, I see nothing wrong with adjusting them, though I think the better option is an ambient noise volume slider in options (perhaps a couple, depending if it makes sense to break them up into a couple groups) rather than lowering them.  Depending on how you have your volume set, if you lower some of these by 50%, some people won't even hear them, which defeats the purpose.

The night time ambience is so loud, I have the ambience volume down to 30%, it helps but its not a solution. I have the other slider to 100%. This is dreadful balance. I'd like to play with 100% ambience so the other ambiences like the campfire/fridge/thunder/etc can be heard easier.

Imagine this, you have 100% ambience volume, you're safe inside a building, no zombies are around, its night time. Then suddenly, an unrealistic sound starts playing directly in your ear, so loud that if you were to start talking IRL you would barely hear yourself, if at all.

24 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

The night time ambience is so loud, I have the ambience volume down to 30%, it helps but its not a solution. I have the other slider to 100%. This is dreadful balance. I'd like to play with 100% ambience so the other ambiences like the campfire/fridge/thunder/etc can be heard easier.

Imagine this, you have 100% ambience volume, you're safe inside a building, no zombies are around, its night time. Then suddenly, an unrealistic sound starts playing directly in your ear, so loud that if you were to start talking IRL you would barely hear yourself, if at all.

Maybe it's different with headphones?  I really have no loud sounds in the game beyond the wasteland wind, vehicles, or auger.  Pretty much everything ambient is low volume and most other things are normal volume.  Lots of guns going off or driving around or using augers can make it hard to hear stuff but I'd expect that.  But ambient noise?  Not loud at all for me.  Not sure why it is different for you other than maybe it's a difference when you use headphones.  No idea.

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Pretty much everything ambient is low volume and most other things are normal volume.

Your ambience volume is set to low? That would be why. Change your ambience volume to match the sound volume (100%?), and prepare your ears to bleed!

On 2/26/2024 at 8:36 AM, FranticDan said:

I think that's used for when you're skilled in parkour.

It's the only option for the player to jump normally instead of "over-jumping" by 2-3 meters.

15 hours ago, Morloc said:

Nothing, because the final summary is wrong.

True, The nuns have paid $30 - $3 = $27, and that's how much the hotel has cashed in after the clerk gave back $3 to the nuns.

However, the clerk stole $2 from the hotel, so the hotel really cashed in only $25 and the clerk stole $2, which, in total, is the $27 that the nuns paid to the hotel.

The trick is to let you think that the total was $30... you tricky ol' necromancer! ;) 

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

Ah yes back to checking the dev diary daily cos I don't want to miss anything just to have to scroll through pages of irrelevant chatter and bickering. Love it.

Yeah, it's kind of like we do things here, ya know... like a community with interactions and camaraderie.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I think that's used for when you're skilled in parkour.

It's the only option for the player to jump normally instead of "over-jumping" by 2-3 meters.

Hopping 10cm for 20 stamina is no fun, at all. I've died and nearly died countless times trying to jump over a fence or on top of a car