Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

4 hours ago, Roland said:

They make milk from anything these days. We could have pine cone milk or maple acorn milk, or boar milk, or Arlene milk…. Too far?

Arlene is the best source for getting a burning shaft!

But yes, milk should be added from growing Almond's or something :)
Then milk can be added to recipes like coffee and pies and cakes, etc

22 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

I feel like these changes will really put a squeeze on the 25% loot,no trader players who I think will be forced to change and adapt, or require mods to play A21

Maybe. But if you're playing at those settings, being forced to change and adapt sounds like a good thing, since the default game is probably too easy. I doubt hydration will be the big killer in that kind of game, even with the proposed changes.

22 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Will it always be three? If it fills up after a day there is a really huge opportunity cost to that because doing tier5 pois will take you a day or 2. Why do tier 5 pois and lose on potential water when I can bang out 2 tier 4s in a day and not miss any yield?

Atleast give us amn option to make a water storage tank after reading the last forge ahead magazine so it can have a capacity up to 6 or 9 and require way less micro management. Currently requires 3x as  much management as crops

If you're doing Tier 5, you're in the late game and water is no longer an issue (at least, that's the impression I'm getting from Roland and schwanz). More generally, creating opportunity costs is, like, one of the central pillars of a survival game. Why do longer Tier 5s instead of shorter Tier 4s? Better quest rewards, better loot. Challenge. Fun? I dunno man, you tell me. Hopefully the devs do a good job at making it worth our while.

23 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Basically everyone here in any topic agreed on hydration being too easy throughout the game.

TFP tries to address this issue and make hydration more of a challenge.

Everyone now: "I can't play this game without empty jars anymore".

Sorry?

Dude this is some hardcore fanboying you're doing.

21 hours ago, meganoth said:

It fits real world logic though. In real life you would not have hundreds of small jars to store water, you would have a large canteen or bottle (>= 2 liters surely) to hold the water. The small glass jars would be too heavy to carry for the amount of water they contain.

The inventory system doesn't work that realistically with stone, wood, meat, etc etc.  You're picking and choosing.

6 hours ago, Guppycur said:

No, it's not a self imposed rule, it's just something I don't enjoy doing.

I also don't jump off of roofs and go about my day with a broken leg either.

I also haven't brought up balance.

...but nice try.  Keep at it, you may get it one day. 

I replied because you always sound like a grumpy old man who's never happy about anything.

"It was better in the ol' days", you simply can't accept change and come up with "reasons" to justify that.

I understand that changing the game will mess up your mods and makes your work harder, I do, but as you very well know TFP have always been keen on changing things until what they see in the game "feels right", so you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed or grumpy about that. You "signed" into it.

Traders are an integral part of gameplay: if you purposefully don't use them, you'll miss some stuff the devs have balanced (that's why I brought up balance) to also be available from them or their quests. So your blank statement about not using traders after they explained you can find murky water also in quest locations, means you were unhappy about not having the option.

Nice try.

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I do like everything that has been done to water. But, what about food? I have a few questions that you might be able to answer, both watery and filling ones:

1. How much more expensive are drinks now in the vending machines/traders?

2. Are there plans for nerfing food on wheels on the snow biome ?

The reason for the question is this:

Chickens and rabbits from the forest are fair game, as they can be a bit tough to find and capture, but what about the HUGE amount of food in the snow biome? Predators (cougars/bears) are big targets, easy to exploit (they go straight towards you when called, killable at day 1 with  around 50-100 stone arrows and a 3x6x3 wooden tower,  fact that gets almost instantaneous with firearms) and give tons of meat. The snow biome feels like a butcher's shop. A white rabbit could do for most of the territory, honestly lol. I do hate those agile rabbits, but they are rewarding to kill.

3. Can we pick up the dew collector like any other work station? 

4. What is the capacity of the Dew Collector? (How many units of water can it hold?)

Thanks in advance.

After all that he has shared with you, you already abandoned poor @faatal for "the new guy"... you @%$#! :nono:

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@Roland have you tested water survival? If so, How does it feel for you in early-mid game? (Well, mid game is a bit of a stretch for testing in a flash, but I'm curious still).

He's already answered to this... I'll point you to a Steam topic where I collected some of his replies together:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/6278597937792226288/

In fact, this is an interesting task – how to combine the desire of the TFP to complicate the thirst (which I absolutely support) and leave the jars in the game. It seems to me that the solution was on the surface: the empty jar that is now in the game becomes a "clean jar", but additionally "dirty jars" are introduced into the game. You can't find "clean jars" in loot, only dirty ones (this is the apocalypse, after all). If you fill a "clean jar" with water, it becomes murky water, after which a "dirty jar" remains. Murky water cannot be boiled and get clean water, because... of course you can do it and kill all the bacteria, but the water will not cease to be clean and safe from a technical point of view. So you can't. And the jar is not so easy to clean after that. With snow it's about the same story. But in the dew collectior, "clean jars" should be used, which can be created in the forge - this is an additional difficulty, because first you need to open the forge technology. But from the beginning of the game the player will already have one "clean jar" after drinking water. You can give the player 3 jars of water at the beginning and he will just have 3 "clean jars" for the dew collectior.
Thus, we will similarly restrict the player in clean water, he will be forced to focus his efforts on the dew collector, but he will have jars that, with any interaction with the outside world, will give murky water and become dirty, will not be able to return to their original "clean" appearance. And for coffee, tea and other drinks, clean water will also be needed, that is, you can't do without a dew collector here either.

I'm sorry for my poor English, but I hope you understand me. I wonder what you @Roland @schwanz9000 think about this compromise :)

15 hours ago, Roland said:

This is the crux of your dilemma right here and the key to your solution is modding. If you want to play in a way that completely outside the scope of the basic game then you are obviously going to have to change some things about the basic game. My suggestion would be to make a recipe for murky water out of the pot and snow.  Then again by time you make it to your second map you are sure to know the goldenrod tea recipe so you could drink straight from streams and lakes, use a first aid kit to restore your health, and top it off with a goldenrod tea to counteract the dysintery if you get it.

Just to add to this and support roland.

Download A20.5 and copy it somewhere. That way you have a backup of all the old XML.

Anything in A21 that's removed? You can go through the old XML and re-add it via XPath. Very easy and I'm always happy to walk people through that if they so wish.

So adding back the snow recipe would be super easy. :) So would the empty jars (lack of model may be a problem though)

5 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Chickens and rabbits from the forest are fair game, as they can be a bit tough to find and capture, but what about the HUGE amount of food in the snow biome? Predators (cougars/bears) are big targets, easy to exploit (they go straight towards you when called, killable at day 1 with  around 50-100 stone arrows and a 3x6x3 wooden tower,  fact that gets almost instantaneous with firearms) and give tons of meat. The snow biome feels like a butcher's shop. A white rabbit could do for most of the territory, honestly lol. I do hate those agile rabbits, but they are rewarding to kill.

Doesn`t seem like a problem to me. If you are investing 50-100 arrows to kill 1 animal, that in itself is huge investment and you should be rewarded. Time is also valuable factor, you need to build your tower, gather resources to make those arrows and you  can`t really shoot them all in 10s time period either. 
How do you overcome zombies that are tougher in snow biome + weather, you get cold pretty quick.. for experienced players - yes, could be easily doable cheese strategy and get your meat ASAP on day 1. Other players would die from cold alone.

I Agree, The snow biome is full of predators that can and will kill you in early game if you don't prepare properly it should have some reward to pair with that danger, otherwise there will be even less reason to go in said biome ( frankly that is already a problem)

4 hours ago, BasicallyACat said:

The inventory system doesn't work that realistically with stone, wood, meat, etc etc.  You're picking and choosing.

Sure. My point was that on the one hand this change removes some logic and adds it somewhere else, though naturally there is a difference in importance between realism and ingame logic

But lets go a bit deeper here, you were saying it doesn't fit ingame logic. How?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Neminsis said:

They're still not going to use it. They're going to focus Better Barter instead. I think we both know this.

I was talking about you who invests in "iron gut" and who should be glad he gets more out of it now.

Also "they" do not all decide the same. In that mass there are surely players who are on the fence right now whether to invest in "Iron Gut". Strengthening the appeal of IG is certainly a step in the right direction and will win some over from always choosing BB.

🙄 or just build them on the ground etc. I get all of that. The thing is that it removes the option of not having to do that. If you want to go into end game then you're just going to have to manage the sprawl. No choice.

In that way it is similar to farming now. Either farm or buy lots of food from the trader or hunt. If you farm in A20, you likely will farm and collect dew in A21. If you get your food from other means in A20, you probably should be able to do that with water as well. Sewers will be for water what chickens are for food. The water purify will be for water what the snow biome is for food.

So I think the choice is still there.

Yes, I do think that. There are more than a dozen POIs that were added in a20 with just that end in mind.

You'll have to explain that. Note that in A20 cities were upgraded so it follows that sturdy city buildings were added. And before A20 there were already hundreds of great POIs to make a base out of. My opinion is that TFP is simply accepting that changes that would invalidate POIs as bases would also remove fun and replayability and is not worth the trouble.

If TFP were against said features, it could only be to force players to build more, but if players are not building more already it's because they just don't want to.

Exactly. It is not worth going against the feature if eradicating it makes the game worse. The same happened with nerd poling by the way. There was discussion about ways to prevent nerd poling to safety or for end loot, but TFP said there was no good solution and too many ways to do the same, for example with ladders. So nerd poling stayed.

To be clear, I don't think that the water changes are going to have much of an effect on the average player besides the occasional case of dysentery. If it does, it'll quickly be balanced out. I do think that it narrows the game play options for a number of niche playstyles in order to force the use of an asset that they just really wanted to add when they could've easily just limited the stack size of jars, or just make them unstackable like buckets, and gotten the same effect. 

I disagree that limiting the stack size would have the same effect, not even if you limit it to 1. You would still have all the water in the world, but you would fill your inventory with water (or tea) in the morning and always drink some before looting. You won't be forced to drink muck at all, you won't be looking for water. You just would have some additional (and I'd say annoying) inventory grind to do.

There may be better or lets say less invasive solutions to the problem of water. This one though has definitely some drawbacks. I don't doubt that there are some players who might like it, I have my doubts that I would.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Roland said:

Sorry but I’m on team Milkshake!

plus it would be hilarious and right in line with Pimp humor for Big Mama to have a 100% chance of having a jar of milk in any loot bag she drops… 😂

Nobody asked for Big Mama to not drop milk!!!

Spoiler

image.thumb.gif.7c3047dfc8f0a570ab6b1cab77ccf3bf.gif

58 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Besides moders and existing mods, why is everyone so bummed out over losing empty glass jars?
I am serious guys why do you want or need all those trash items?

Change is difficult...

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I replied because you always sound like a grumpy old man who's never happy about anything.

"It was better in the ol' days", you simply can't accept change and come up with "reasons" to justify that.

I understand that changing the game will mess up your mods and makes your work harder, I do, but as you very well know TFP have always been keen on changing things until what they see in the game "feels right", so you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed or grumpy about that. You "signed" into it.

Traders are an integral part of gameplay: if you purposefully don't use them, you'll miss some stuff the devs have balanced (that's why I brought up balance) to also be available from them or their quests. So your blank statement about not using traders after they explained you can find murky water also in quest locations, means you were unhappy about not having the option.

Nice try.

You seem to have some sort of internal balance struggle that you may need to work out, because you're projecting.  Projecting is when you feel something but can't process the emotion so you put it onto others.  I'm quite fine with change.  In fact, modding *is* change so you don't even make sense.  Either I don't like change or I mod, it can't be both.  Keep working it out though, I'm proud of you.

I think I have the reason why you do it though.  You are the one who doesn't like the change, and that conflicts with your deep rooted need to simp to the pimps, so instead of acknowledging that you don't like the change, you fabricate a reality and apply your dislikes onto others.  It's really quite fascinating.  All of your posts are both simping AND letting out your own emotions.  It's a good start, I recommend starting a journal.

Take the "balance" comment for instance.  First you said "and then ask the devs why is the game not balanced to your way of playing the game", which is NOT something I asked, but now you acknowledge that you brought up balance.  Projecting.

...when you look back, all you will  see is me saying removing jars is weird, and that it won't make acquiring water any more difficult. 

But now you have created this reality where I'm a grumpy old man who's never happy about anything, even though I really like A20, it's still my favorite game, I enjoy the pimps and most players, and I appreciate the gift of the game, not to mention that I believe it's the most polished version of the game since I started in a6 or a7.

I've noticed you tend to do that a lot though.  Someone will say something, then you will fabricate what they said into something else and argue against that fabrication.  That's called a strawman argument.

Hell, after Schwartz said that getitem is staying in, I'm actually cool with the removal because it won't affect me.  You on the other hand, keep defending it against any and everyone who has an opinion, all the while making up their arguments for them.

I'm thinking they are YOUR arguments.  Good, this is growth.  Slow, but that's to be expected.  

You know, it IS okay to not like something TFP does.  I pinky promise that they don't care. 😃

Traders are a dumb path to take, because you get caught in a loop.  Go to trader, get quest, do quest, get trivial object, repeat.  You end up spending your days performing menial tasks that don't net you anything decent, when simple looting can net you TONS more resources that will get you to a more comfortable place come horde night.

Going to traders creates a false need that you *have* to have something, when you do not.  I suppose it's your social media generation, where you end up believing that you need things (like your need for tfp validation as an example) when you don't, I dunno.

By using traders, you make it harder on yourself because you are constantly putting your player in danger for very little reward while spending time doing quests instead of preparing your base, farm, meat collection, etc.

Then there is the flip side of traders.  All of that loot you got by looting and NOT doing trader quests is easily spendable *at* the trader so you can easily purchase what you need early on, and yes, I choose not to do that as well.

I know you don't read or comprehend the posts you respond to, but if you were able to, you'd see that a large number of the complaints is that the survival aspect of the game is trivial.  I think part of the reason it's not trivial for YOU, is that you follow the way TFP wants you to play, but that's exactly what makes it artificial.  Me, I prefer free play.  Do what I want and how I want to do it.  The game used to be billed as "An open world, voxel-based, sandbox game blending the best elements of FPS, Survival Horror, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games."  That's on their kickstarter.

In video games, an open world is a game mechanic of using a virtual world that the player can explore and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a world with more linear and structured gameplay.

But you keep arguing for playing it the TFP way.  Well, agree to disagree then.

When I play single player I rarely make it past the bow stage crafting wise.  Because I don't need to.  TFP has been kind enough to make wood into concrete in a lot of poi's which make them super suitable for horde nights.  Why fight a feral radiated behemoth demolisher that can fly and spit nuclear acid when I don't have to.  It just seems silly.  I prefer to take the tower defense approach and make it though the night that way.

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Until you unlock... TA DA! ... the DISHWASHER! :washing:

washing dirty dishes in dirty water? I'm not sure :bathbaby: No need to attack me, I'm on your side, just trying to find a compromise to stop this endless stream of discussion and the opportunity to focus on something more interesting and important :)

19 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

washing dirty dishes in dirty water? I'm not sure :bathbaby: No need to attack me, I'm on your side, just trying to find a compromise to stop this endless stream of discussion and the opportunity to focus on something more interesting and important :)

Pfft, good luck.  Once TFP releases another tidbit of something remotely controversial the cycle will start anew on that.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Ive already broken down why the empty jars were removed and how it changes the game and why having an infinitely refillable container is a bad idea—several times. Go back and read so you can understand why the change was made. No change is made simply to make a change. That isn’t how game design works. These changes were made after team meetings in which the ramifications were discussed and then tested. When it comes out in experimental it will be further tested by the overall community. I know some people won’t like it but I’m pretty confident most will enjoy the change and appreciate having a new type of workstation to craft and a new type of farm to create—all while making the game more consistent with itself. 

I’d love to hear an explanation of why this is seen by some as the best way to design a game. Really. 

For this game the design comes from the proven professional developers and adjustments to that design comes from player feedback after they’ve had a chance to play it. 

I occasionally read people who criticize a change on the basis that nobody asked for it as if that is all the reason needed for why the change shouldn’t have happened. Others seem to want the devs to poll the players before they make a design decision in order to get the okay to proceed. Say what?!?

That will come when post release updates come. The objective now is to polish and refine and finalize everything for what the base game is going to offer that the majority of new players is going to experience. An update that adds content to expand gameplay for Days 50 - 100 would be exactly the type of thing to extend the game once it is finished. You’re asking for version 1.5 while the devs are working on version 1.0. That is the risk of becoming a veteran player while the game is in early access. You play out the whole unfinished base game before it is done and then you have a long wait for them to finish the base game and then start working on extended game updates before you are going to see something new in the end game. 

1. Well.... this is how sometimes game design works... or almost everything ( i mean project things like - cars, phones). And it's nothing postive. Why is this  happening?  Well - personal decision of leader, personal changes. And some thing are changed/removed not because are bad etc. just because supervisor just change his mind because why not. So because some people just decided to change their job because in one studio supervisor was so.... changeable and a lot of their job ended in bin 😕

2. "  design comes from player feedback". Criticize is feedback.  You don't have to see this in game to know that something will be good or not - just describtion is just enough. but i agree that unfounded criticize is bad. 

3.Well...  there is no possibility to add something good for Days 50-100.  Well - there is no option for gigantic mutants or making settlement. In my opinion 7dtd can't be for "long term gameplay". This would need reduce MP into 4 player and do totaly redesign of game. So at least for me 7dtd is just the best for Day 30 but with 180 min per day

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

For me, the problem with realism and games is you have to draw the line somewhere before it just stops being fun (subjective)

I can be completely off here but I feel 7 days to die is somewhere in the middle as far as realism is concerned.  It's not a hardcore realism simulation like project zomboid and it's not a slapstick cartoony arcade game like Orcs Must Die.  (Although twitch integration 😅)

Well... OMD is not totaly arcade because you have grinding. L4D2 is totaly arcade game.

IF : 1.fortnite - 10 . project zomboid

then 

7dtd is 3 

As 5 i could put Metal gear Survive

2 hours ago, Guppycur said:

You seem to have some sort of internal balance struggle that you may need to work out, because you're projecting.  Projecting is when you feel something but can't process the emotion so you put it onto others.  I'm quite fine with change.  In fact, modding *is* change so you don't even make sense.  Either I don't like change or I mod, it can't be both.  Keep working it out though, I'm proud of you.

I think I have the reason why you do it though.  You are the one who doesn't like the change, and that conflicts with your deep rooted need to simp to the pimps, so instead of acknowledging that you don't like the change, you fabricate a reality and apply your dislikes onto others.  It's really quite fascinating.  All of your posts are both simping AND letting out your own emotions.  It's a good start, I recommend starting a journal.

Take the "balance" comment for instance.  First you said "and then ask the devs why is the game not balanced to your way of playing the game", which is NOT something I asked, but now you acknowledge that you brought up balance.  Projecting.

...when you look back, all you will  see is me saying removing jars is weird, and that it won't make acquiring water any more difficult. 

But now you have created this reality where I'm a grumpy old man who's never happy about anything, even though I really like A20, it's still my favorite game, I enjoy the pimps and most players, and I appreciate the gift of the game, not to mention that I believe it's the most polished version of the game since I started in a6 or a7.

I've noticed you tend to do that a lot though.  Someone will say something, then you will fabricate what they said into something else and argue against that fabrication.  That's called a strawman argument.

Hell, after Schwartz said that getitem is staying in, I'm actually cool with the removal because it won't affect me.  You on the other hand, keep defending it against any and everyone who has an opinion, all the while making up their arguments for them.

I'm thinking they are YOUR arguments.  Good, this is growth.  Slow, but that's to be expected.  

You know, it IS okay to not like something TFP does.  I pinky promise that they don't care. 😃

Traders are a dumb path to take, because you get caught in a loop.  Go to trader, get quest, do quest, get trivial object, repeat.  You end up spending your days performing menial tasks that don't net you anything decent, when simple looting can net you TONS more resources that will get you to a more comfortable place come horde night.

Going to traders creates a false need that you *have* to have something, when you do not.  I suppose it's your social media generation, where you end up believing that you need things (like your need for tfp validation as an example) when you don't, I dunno.

By using traders, you make it harder on yourself because you are constantly putting your player in danger for very little reward while spending time doing quests instead of preparing your base, farm, meat collection, etc.

Then there is the flip side of traders.  All of that loot you got by looting and NOT doing trader quests is easily spendable *at* the trader so you can easily purchase what you need early on, and yes, I choose not to do that as well.

I know you don't read or comprehend the posts you respond to, but if you were able to, you'd see that a large number of the complaints is that the survival aspect of the game is trivial.  I think part of the reason it's not trivial for YOU, is that you follow the way TFP wants you to play, but that's exactly what makes it artificial.  Me, I prefer free play.  Do what I want and how I want to do it.  The game used to be billed as "An open world, voxel-based, sandbox game blending the best elements of FPS, Survival Horror, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games."  That's on their kickstarter.

In video games, an open world is a game mechanic of using a virtual world that the player can explore and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a world with more linear and structured gameplay.

But you keep arguing for playing it the TFP way.  Well, agree to disagree then.

When I play single player I rarely make it past the bow stage crafting wise.  Because I don't need to.  TFP has been kind enough to make wood into concrete in a lot of poi's which make them super suitable for horde nights.  Why fight a feral radiated behemoth demolisher that can fly and spit nuclear acid when I don't have to.  It just seems silly.  I prefer to take the tower defense approach and make it though the night that way.

Wow! For someone who's accusing me of "projecting" you're doing a lot of that your self!

I've never been aware you were behind my chair whenever I was playing (that's creepy, BTW, stop it!).

Anyway, I'm not trying to project anything here, I just read too much in your reply, and for that I apologize.

The way you write makes me think you're a psychologist, maybe?

I'm humbled you've dedicated so much time to that huge reply... since you're there, can you write me a custom mod?

Thanks Grumpycur! ;) 

2 hours ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

After reading all of this, I am not much bothered by the water change myself. 

My biggest complaint is the use of Dew Collectors instead of making it a more multi-staged process that would be a bit more realistic.

Dew and rain water collection in a fallout zone is a bad idea due to the pickup of micro particles that have been irradiated (as would drinking from any water source open to the air).  Such water still needs to be treated.

One could build a clay earth filter to clear out the radioactive fallout and micro particulates from the water.  These are very simple to make and can be made with primitive materials (cloth, clay, earth, pipe).

Such a filter can clear about 2-3 quarts of water per hour and is usually good for about 40-50 quarts of water before you need to construct a new one due to the build up of the radioactive materials.

Such filtered water would then still need to be boiled to clear any microorganisms.

Overall though, based on the above realities vs game universe, getting 3 water per day from a device that never breaks and just pretending the above process was done will be an easy suspension of disbelief IMO.  Might need to up tweak the values if going for more realism.

Since you're talking about realism... I don't think that filtering radioactive water with dirt will remove the radioactivity. :spit:

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

What made you think I was attacking you? :pout:

Dang! Must be the propaganda of that nasty old Grumpycur! :ohwell:

5 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Since you're talking about realism... I don't think that filtering radioactive water with dirt will remove the radioactivity. :spit:

The dangers to most water after any type of nuclear explosion is the particles of fallout/exposed matter that can be absorbed/suspended into the water.  Those particles will be held in the clouds for quite some time and also deposited into nearby water sources that are open to the air outside the blast radius.  Those can be filtered out using a clay earth filter.